Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tony Tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"You're proof of their love" is kind of a weird thing to say to a kid.

Like, I get what the author was going for, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

For some reason I thought of Watchmen when I read that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"You're proof of their love" is kind of a weird thing to say to a kid.

Like, I get what the author was going for, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

It made me think that fire elementals can only reproduce via mutual love. I mean, tons of humans are born to parents who hate each other.

Also there was the time someone said to Annie, "When you have a child" and Tom's note below the comic was "when."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wittgen posted:

It made me think that fire elementals can only reproduce via mutual love. I mean, tons of humans are born to parents who hate each other.

Also there was the time someone said to Annie, "When you have a child" and Tom's note below the comic was "when."

His note was "When?" which is a significant difference

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Kikas posted:

What's up next, Kat is the computer their parents built?

You joke about this but I'm getting the wierd feeling that Anja's belief that children are "proof of a couple's love" might actually be setting this up.

madjack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2017

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

His note was "When?" which is a significant difference

Good point, but it doesn't significantly alter my point. The person who said when was Coyote right? He could know a lot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wittgen posted:

Good point, but it doesn't significantly alter my point. The person who said when was Coyote right? He could know a lot.

Yeah. I just mean it wasn't like Tom was confirming it's a definite thing, but rather giving Annie's internal reaction.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tony did a lot of things wrong imo

mostly because he's a ludicrous fuckup of a human being, which i find extremely relatable

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Tollymain posted:

tony did a lot of things wrong imo

mostly because he's a ludicrous fuckup of a human being, which i find extremely relatable

this, basically

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's a little weird that Tony clams up the second another person enters the scene, no matter what. I don't think that's normal social anxiety.

Tony takes it to an absurdly dysfunctional extreme, but fear of crowds is a pretty common real thing and often manifests in that kind of way, and "crowd" can be anything from a house party to "forced to make small talk with three people I don't know".

The problem is it's like if Ysengrin's deal wasn't anything to do with Coyote or his terror of being weak it's just he has abnormally bad ADHD. That'd fit the dictionary definition of "an explanation", but it wouldn't really leave you satisfied the story was moving forward or wanting to know more about fuckin' Ysengrin, and how he got his tree body when he bought it at the store for $7.99.

Potato Salad posted:

It's a little weird to see so many people not look at this story at a higher level of abstraction, like from the perspective of the storyteller. I can't be the only one with high school level reading comprehension and capacity to analyze why a story is structured the way it is.

this is a pretty pompous dig to follow a barely highschool level reading of events that entirely misses the point, guy

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 4, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samuringa posted:

For some reason I thought of Watchmen when I read that.

Ugh, I hated that scene too.

Both silk spectres had such weak storylines. Alan Moore has written a lot of things well in his life, but the female characters in Watchmen aren't one of them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

madjack posted:

You joke about this but I'm getting the wierd feeling that Anja's belief that children are "proof of a couple's love" might actually be setting this up.

I buy this angle too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is a pretty pompous dig to follow a barely highschool level reading of events that entirely misses the point, guy

yes, that singular, solitary point

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In my opinion, Tony is bad.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SHISHKABOB posted:

But so am I, so in that respect, Tony is Good.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Kerning Chameleon posted:

But so am I, so in that respect, Tony is Good.

Tony's power is actually the ability to perform a Face Turn for the duration of any scene in which he is alone with another character.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really want to know what happened to Tony's parents.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Gunnerkrigg is so great at introducing new mysteries as it mostly clears up old ones.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Same thing that happened to Paz's probably. They got paid to send him to school at the court.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Galvanik posted:

Same thing that happened to Paz's probably. They got paid to send him to school at the court.

Idk about that, he's extremely cagey about it when she asked him. Like totally ignores the question, basically. Which was just "how are your parents". http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1881

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Tony's mom was a water elemental and his dad was from Afghanistan, so that's why he's always such a wet blanket.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Scholtz posted:

Tony's mom was a water elemental and his dad was from Afghanistan, so that's why he's always such a wet blanket.
Nice, nice :golfclap:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It does seem odd that all 3 of Annie's theoretical grandparents have been completely absent from the story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Todd McFarlane presents: Medieval Antimony.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

It does seem odd that all 3 of Annie's theoretical grandparents have been completely absent from the story.

It's cause they're dead!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's cause they're dead!

Yeah that's likely! I just mean I wonder if there's a reason for it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Todd McFarlane presents: Medieval Antimony.

Glurghkh. I didn't know so few words could make me so upset.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah that's likely! I just mean I wonder if there's a reason for it.

The less named characters the better. No point in introducing people just for the sake of it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Tony is a paranoid android and that's why he has no parents and gets along with Kat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Buschmaki posted:

Tony is a paranoid android and that's why he has no parents and gets along with Kat.

Life. Don't talk to him about life.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

The less named characters the better. No point in introducing people just for the sake of it.

Oh cmon, they're gonna tell us what happened to Tony's family at some point. And I'm 100% sure it was really awful.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Tony met his his parents shortly after he was born. Both of them, at the same time. He's never been able to unwind around them since.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Stone, Part II - The exact same chapter but shifted a bit to the left, showing Tony was also there the entire time. There are occasional missing panels after alcohol is invented though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samuringa posted:

The Stone, Part II - The exact same chapter but shifted a bit to the left, showing Tony was also there the entire time. There are occasional missing panels after alcohol is invented though.

EmmyOk posted:

"Steadman buddy, let sleeping dogs lay"

"Renard my main man, Surma is gagging for ya"

Then we see flashbacks of Tony looking around nervously as he buries Jones in bedrock before the beginning of time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Those must have been some really great jokes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fangz posted:

Those must have been some really great jokes.

"Katarina, this work is wonderful. I really have to hand it to you :coal:"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For all Kat talked up about hating Tony, she never experienced any firsthand events that would make somebody feel actual you-feel-it-in-your-gut hate at a person. And if that person shows up and starts being personable, you can find yourself actually revising your opinion of that person!

It's a thing bad people do to take advantage of others, yes, but that requires a level of social-fu that we know Tony Simply Does Not Have.

It's not really surprising Kat turned around on him, he's a legit guy to hang around on when he's not being super awkward, and Kat has zero idea of his worse transgressions either. I'm pretty sure whatever Annie said about it was heavily glossed over because she was never particularly willing to shittalk her dad.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I like how expressive Anja is in this page. Visually her eyes are kind of like a second set of eyebrows, but instead of being creepy it works.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The other thing about Kat is that she's super passionate about science, to the degree where sometimes it's kind of a blind spot for her. When she has someone to geek out with, it'll warm her up to them faster than anything else. I'm sure at first she caught herself thinking "wait, I hate this guy", but Tony as far as we know is a talented researcher, so she probably got caught up in the excitement of working with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"I know better than to get involved in Anthony's affairs."

Yeah, we saw how that worked out with Surma. :downsrim: