Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have a friend who did 1200 jumps on the jump rope and I refuse to believe after a certain speed it’s anything but blind luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
After the speed stops increasing it just becomes a matter of mechanical repetition and hoping your thumb won't slip.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, that would involve modeling and animating 3 distinct body types just for those costumes. I wish they had done it, but I'm not really surprised that they didn't.

Not to mention modeling a different moveset for Luigi's floatier jumps. You can't just make Mario taller and change the number of bumps on his mustache, Luigi is his own character and that character is expressed in his platforming.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Look, take the game back for another 2 months and give me Luigi.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Let me play as Waluigi in a platforming game please

Or put him in a new Warioware

I crave more Waluigi

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Post-game trip report:

I spent the first hour of the post-game smiling and whispering, "How, how is this game so good" to myself. As of five minutes ago I've collected every moon on almost every normal kingdom and I just arrived at the Dark Side of the Moon. There are a couple that I've yet to get from Toadette (I'm assuming there's still more art around somewhere, and I'm missing several purple coins in most kingdom).

Gotta say, I'm seeing lots of love for Lost Kingdom, which I absolutely loathe. The music is annoying and the entire thing is a cesspool of purple poison and I did its post-game first just so I could leave it behind and never have to think about it again. gently caress Lost Kingdom.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So probably a controversial opinion.

Odyssey isn't doing it for me. I don't know what it is, but with a Mario game I expect to basically want to play the thing constantly and I just can't be bothered most of the time.

I think it's because they've leaned hard into the open world aspect and so many moons seem more like meaningless busywork as opposed to actual fun.

Additionally I've just not had a moment so far where the game has wowed me in the way that 64 or Galaxy did. One I was a kid for sure, but I was 19 when I played Galaxy for the first time and the way antigravity was implemented had my jaw on the floor.

It's a competently done platformer for sure, but I think I much prefer the more focused 64/Sunshine/Galaxy world layouts.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How far in are you so far? Not saying you'll change your mind by playing more, but a lot of those "Oh wow" moments for Odyssey (at least for me) are in the second half of the main game and the start of the post-game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did you beat the game? I also wouldn't put this Mario as "best Mario ever" for me, because I just prefer linear platforming levels to the big open world stuff (though I'm still having a ton of fun with the game so it's not exactly a huge complaint) but the final bit with Bowser is easily the best ending to a game a Mario game has ever had

edit: Like my FAVORITE stuff in the game so far has been the platforming segments you get inside the post-game moon rock pipes. The one on the moon with the swinging pendulum things was SO good.

That one level where you have to be a frog to leap over the purple waves can go to hell though

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 5, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I kinda expect the biggest point of contention about Mario Odyssey in the long run being about how the game is barely focused on actual mechanical platforming execution and almost entirely about reading the level, knowing your tools and utilizing observation and problem solving. I think they made the right call to set themselves apart from all the execution-focused indie platformers.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So probably a controversial opinion.

:frogout:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nina posted:

I kinda expect the biggest point of contention about Mario Odyssey in the long run being about how the game is barely focused on actual mechanical platforming execution and almost entirely about reading the level, knowing your tools and utilizing observation and problem solving. I think they made the right call to set themselves apart from all the execution-focused indie platformers.

That's probably it. I prefer the mechanical platforming style myself, but Odyssey's still been enjoyable enough for me. Don't know if it'd be my favorite Mario game, but I definitely don't regret the time I spent playing it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Mega64 posted:

How far in are you so far? Not saying you'll change your mind by playing more, but a lot of those "Oh wow" moments for Odyssey (at least for me) are in the second half of the main game and the start of the post-game.

I'm at the Wood galaxy, so I don't imagine I'm very far in, but I have every single moon to that point.

I think my other problem is that I find it very unsatisfying to leave a level without having done everything available to me. But in this game that's proving to be pretty ludicrous.

Nina posted:

It feels like it's a game that's closer to Banjo-Tooie/DK64 than Mario 64.

Edit: To clarify, that's not bad by any means, but it's not usually what I'd look to Mario for.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 5, 2017

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm at the Wood galaxy, so I don't imagine I'm very far in, but I have every single moon to that point.

I think my other problem is that I find it very unsatisfying to leave a level without having done everything available to me. But in this game that's proving to be pretty ludicrous.

It feels like it's a game that's closer to Banjo-Tooie/DK64 than Mario 64.

Edit: To clarify, that's not bad by any means, but it's not usually what I'd look to Mario for.

Yeah I would stop worrying about moons and just go through each kingdom as it unlocks. Moon cleanup is for end game since you’ll have to revisit the kingdoms anyway to get all the NEW moons that pop up.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The game is definitely designed with the philosophy of putting so many collectibles in that it's not necessary at all to collect them all, just like the Korok seeds in BotW. When you get the feeling "okay I've had my fun here and I want to see something new" you should absolutely move on to the next world instead of forcing yourself to find everything the first time around

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Pug Rodeo posted:

Yeah I would stop worrying about moons and just go through each kingdom as it unlocks. Moon cleanup is for end game since you’ll have to revisit the kingdoms anyway to get all the NEW moons that pop up.

Even before getting to the post game, portals and hint art will send you back and forth between levels anyway.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I'm super curious about what the speed running scene looks like for this game in regards to that though. Is there somewhere I can go see what's happening for that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You sure about that bro?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, don't burn yourself out too much on one world. Even in the post game, I'm making sure not to do this. I went back to the first world and started collecting the more obvious moons. Once it got to the point where it required a bit too much hunting, I moved onto the next world. Eventually I'll end up making a third pass through the worlds. It helps keep things a bit fresher.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

veni veni veni posted:

Luncheon kingdom kind of sucks.
:chloe:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think Odyssey works super well for me in that it doesnt have much platforming stuff in it. Like, it'd be tolerable if the system had save states, but they don't. It ties into the ability to buy Moons: since I can't save scum the platforming in those endgame sections, I can write that stage off and buy a Moon to replace it. It's awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I kind of agree that Luncheon Kingdom isn't great but I'll be damned if I can precisely identify why

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Futaba Anzu posted:

I'm super curious about what the speed running scene looks like for this game in regards to that though. Is there somewhere I can go see what's happening for that?
I'd try either
the Twitch page for the game itself
or
the speedrun.com leaderboards for the various categories

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So are there any moons in the bowser fight + bowser section afterwards? I jumped in the painting and redid the end and there weren't any extra moons that I could tell

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fetus posted:

I liked the Luncheon Kingdom for being a really interesting take on a lava level. Both gameplay and aesthetically-wise.

Basically this was my take on Luncheon. You could easily make it into volcano level and nothing fundamental about the level or its platforming gimmicks changes. The food aesthetic, though, is far more interesting and thus engaging, so I'm glad they didn't go this route. In fact, though I don't super love having to carefully leap my fire ball into smaller pools (and the sequence where you have to jump into a pot was for whatever reason REALLY finnicky when it came to whether or not the game considered my jump to be correct, Luncheon ranks pretty high as Kingdoms go because it has a huge sense of space, but manages to maintain that size while not really stopping giving you platforming challenges to do. You have to carefully navigate the Kingdom no matter what form you are in, and a lot of its challenges call upon you to be able to control your jump and land accurately, which are skills that work well in a 3-D platformer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

I kind of agree that Luncheon Kingdom isn't great but I'll be damned if I can precisely identify why

Someone said earlier if you don't have great mastery over Mario's movement it's a pain to get around. Cause once you get the first Multi Moon the entire first area gets blocked off forcing you to use the fireball cannons or know how to get Mario around the blockades. I tried the latter without being good at it and it was just painful, kept bumping into walls, falling into lava, dying. Then the game forced me to the next Kingdom becuase I got enough moons when I tried to go somewhere else and the next Kingdom is just so good.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You definitely don’t have every moon to that point. Also you being a sperg and being unable to move on until you do everything available is not a valid criticism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm cleaning up in post-post-game.

also I like that the kingdoms are cool twists on classic mario levels for the most part,

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Frankston posted:

Yeah this was the first moon I gave up and looked online for

I got that one, but only because I looked up the taxi one in the previous world.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

lol are you joking me with this moon in the deep woods where you have to basically just lose hundreds of coins to get it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Macaluso posted:

lol are you joking me with this moon in the deep woods where you have to basically just lose hundreds of coins to get it

You don't have to get every moon

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

blue squares posted:

You don't have to get every moon

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had to look up some Hint Art but now I've gotten every moon. Now all that's left is farming up enough money to inflate the count to 999. Shouldn't take too much longer.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
In the sequel you'll face off against the true villains of Odyssey: the chairmen of the Crazy Cap company, Wario and Waluigi

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Chat help my brother is up to 2500 in volleyball and he won't stop.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
finally saw credits this morning and i cannot stop listening to Honeylune Ridge Escape holy poo poo please help.

game rules

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

In the sequel you'll face off against the true villains of Odyssey: the chairmen of the Crazy Cap company, Wario and Waluigi

Oh poo poo those colors

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enough talk, more snapshots. i love that i can turn new donk city into a NES jrpg wasteland

(this last one is only notable for Bored Customer Service Toad)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress dark side breakdown road. gently caress it hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Frankston posted:

gently caress dark side breakdown road. gently caress it hard.

When my brother beat the banzai bill section he walked off to the side and set the controller down triumphantly. For some reason he assumed the banzai bills didn't home and traveled in a straight line. He was really upset when it missed the moon completely and hit him instead. I laughed real hard at that.

That's probably the hardest platforming moon in the game. I'd say its harder than any individual section of Darker Side.

• Locked thread