Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

Potato Salad posted:

I want that poster

It's actually a puzzle that I sealed on the back with packing tape.

https://www.galison.com/collections/1000-piece-puzzles/products/avian-friends-puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

:3:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Isn't it really dangerous to cage larger birds with smaller birds like that?

I mean that cockatoo could kill that conure and in like a fraction of a second.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah but it's not my picture so I can pretend everything works out fine, also the conure might just be visiting. My budgie would visit the cockatiel in his cage often and vice versa even though they had permanent homes in separate cages.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Nah, if you know the personality of both birds well and you've observed extended interactions between the two it can be fine. It certainly isn't something you'd do early on in the birds knowing each other, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kenshin posted:

Nah, if you know the personality of both birds well and you've observed extended interactions between the two it can be fine. It certainly isn't something you'd do early on in the birds knowing each other, though.

Yeah, birds will develop a little hierarchy that is pretty easy to predict. The problem is when the larger bird is terrified of the smaller bird.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I came home to a brand new parrot. Wish that my gf had had a conversation with me about it first, but he's a cute little booger.

Bird update: Quackers likes me more, and if I'm around while my girlfriend is holding him, he'll try to get over to me.

We had a vet meeting yesterday for some initial tests and consultation. Glad to know sooner rather than later how to avoid accidentally courting my bird.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bird update: Quackers likes me more, and if I'm around while my girlfriend is holding him, he'll try to get over to me.

We had a vet meeting yesterday for some initial tests and consultation. Glad to know sooner rather than later how to avoid accidentally courting my bird.

It's bizarre but parrots will often prefer a gender in humans.

Which means your girlfriend's parrot, Mr. Quackers, has chosen YOU! Congrats!

Now never pet him below his neck (or her) and you'll be fine! (That's genuine mating behaviour and half the "bird people" I know do it accidentally)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

https://twitter.com/Kaons/status/926878243474563072

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Now never pet him below his neck (or her) and you'll be fine! (That's genuine mating behaviour and half the "bird people" I know do it accidentally)
Keep in mind this is species-dependent (though the majority are sensitive in this way), so do lots of research on your bird.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kenshin posted:

The problem is specifically with housing a New World parrot like a conure with an Old World parrot like a cockatoo. Cockatoos and other Australasian species produce much more dust from their feathers than parrots from Central/South America, and this dust can cause severe respiratory issues in those parrots if they are in close confines with them.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Well Samba has learned a new phrase. When he snuggles under blankets or robe, his bird.exe does a dump of all available data, so he runs through all the sounds he can make. He has now started saying "stop that! stop that!" I'm not sure who it makes sound more abused, me or him.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kenshin posted:

We we're hand raising budgies at one point and they made friends with our African grey because they we're able to go between the bars.

Grey liked anything as long as you weren't cardboard and you would answer her demands of head scratches.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Does the world really deserve cockatiels? :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

They are so drat ridiculous I want every cockatiel, ever.

Except Steve. He has a good home. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tendai posted:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Kenshin posted:

i saw a story on facebook about a macaw that bit a sun conure on the head, and now the sun conure is blind (not from losing its eyes but from brain damage) and i think i am now too traumatized to ever put a big bird and a small bird together (but we only have one bird so that works out well for everyone involved)

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
omg

I got my zebra finch beepers into a new bigger cage, I've given them some stuff to play with and they seem to have a blast. Jumping around, swinging, tooting, etc. However, my hen seems to be on a mean streak, at times she bites her mate for some reason. Saw her pluck a feather from him yesterday :/ Also, noticed more loose small feathers around the cage lately, most of them seem to be his... They seem to get along most of the time, snuggling up together, preening each other and being p chill. Perhaps she wants to build a nest or something... or perhaps she's just a rude bird >:V

e: just got back from work and she was chasing after him from perch to perch, with some of his feathers in her beak :( think i need to separate them for a while, while i figure out whats going on...

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 6, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GoldStandardConure posted:

i saw a story on facebook about a macaw that bit a sun conure on the head, and now the sun conure is blind (not from losing its eyes but from brain damage) and i think i am now too traumatized to ever put a big bird and a small bird together (but we only have one bird so that works out well for everyone involved)
Yeah, Ozy has always been aggressive to other birds, and while she is vastly better behaved since moving into the house, I still worry every time I see like a parakeet preening a Grey and vice versa.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

https://twitter.com/syana59114303/status/926713137688076288

https://twitter.com/syana59114303/status/927158224440107009

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Why does everything from Japan only do more to convince me the whole country is an elaborate cartoon?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't know why, but Eclectuses always remind me of sweet old golden retrievers

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Electus are visually my favorite parrots, they just look like cartoons.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A male eclectus is my realistic dream of a parrot to have someday. All the ones I've met have been just extremely chill for large parrots. And the iridescents of their plumage doesn't even come through well and pictures, I never realized that till I started meeting them face-to-face. They're really just amazingly colored.

My unrealistic dream parrot is a hyacinth macaw of course. But barring a meteoric rise in my job or a very lucky lottery win, I can't Envision it happening.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I honestly don't think I've ever heard one vocalise in person. Where do they land on the "OH GOD MY EARS?!" spectrum?

-

Today I was visiting with some hard to find cockatiels and the Birb Store. Mr. Pretty Bird, the Amazon that is apparently a feathered can opener, decided to get on my arm.

Well, Mr. Pretty Bird didn't know the difference between my jacket and my wrist. Or that I'm on stupid blood thinners.

Needless to say, an Amazon doing a "perch pinch" to my wrist was enough to draw blood. I didn't flinch, but I asked the bird, "Was that needed?"

Pretty Bird responded by turning around and waving his butt at me.

:stare:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
^^ :laffo:

Gillian is being a noisy grumpy bird this evening because she doesn't respect daylight savings time, and thinks the cover should be on the cage already.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out Crouton and Galbedir are just like Taco and go nuts for kale.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/buckleyjack/status/927298781342765056

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Turns out Crouton and Galbedir are just like Taco and go nuts for kale.

kale is garbage, wtf is wrong with birds?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Eifert Posting posted:

I think this pairing only works because cockatoos are naturally very cuddly and conures are velcro.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
While there are definitely species traits, every bird has its own personality and any responsible owner should be really familiar with them before housing them together especially if there is a size difference

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

That's what I meant, these two particular birds are probably a perfect example of that stereotype.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

https://twitter.com/SuperRetroDuck/status/928050357959380995

I can’t wait to put hats on all the birds. I was so impatient to share this I’m doing it from the mobile browser

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to play the hell out of that game.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So...at what point with birds does playing become fighting? I'm pretty sure the female is getting more aggressive.

I'm starting to wonder if my "happy lights" have driven my pair of keets slightly insane?

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

Fiddle doesn’t understand headphones.

But he does understand enormous mutton chops.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Birb update.
This bird is really cute and likes me a lot, but it's sort of bumming my girlfriend out because he prefers me.. Any good ideas on how to make a bird like you more?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Birb update.
This bird is really cute and likes me a lot, but it's sort of bumming my girlfriend out because he prefers me.. Any good ideas on how to make a bird like you more?

post pictures of the bird on the internet. it works, promise

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Birb update.

Time and patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^ in all seriousness, there's a poster in this thread who has been at work for, what, two years? trying to make a macaw cuddly. iirc it's really starting to work

Inko was a "be patient" case as well