Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

d0s posted:

also you're probably gonna think one of the most fun parts about getting a system, exploring it's library and finding out what you like, is too hard or something so here's a list of PCE games i like

hucard
alien crush
atomic robo kid
blazing lazers/gunhed
bomber man 93,94,etc
cyber core
devil's crush
dragon spirit
final lap twin
final soldier
gomola speed
gradius
kiki kai kai
keith courage (warning: most people do not like this)
kyukyoku tiger
legendary axe
metal stoker
ninja spirit
override
pac-land
psycho chaser
rabio lepus special
raiden
r-type
saint dragon
shockman
sidearms
soldier blade
splatterhouse
super star soldier
wonder momo
w-ring
xevious

CD
buster bros
l-dis
nexzr special
rayxanber II
rayxanber III
psychic storm
sapphire
shubibinman 3
spriggan
summer carnival alzadick
super darius
valis II
valis III
valis IV
dracula x
faussete amour
galaxy keiji gayvan
gate of thunder
lords of thunder
star parodier
sylphia

You forgot Gradius II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Got a notification the PSIO just opened pre orders. I can’t afford one for a few days so good luck anyone else who’s been waiting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Very happy to see Metal Stoker acknowledged. I love that game. :) I used to think I was the only one because it wasn't even listed on Mobygames or anything until I wrote an article about it for HG101. Anyway everyone should try out Metal Stoker for a simple and cool overhead shooter.

Has anyone used this? Is it good?
https://www.amazon.com/PS2-Converter-Supports-Display-Modes-3-5mm/dp/B01D2SSDMI

A few years ago I got one of those Samsung smart TVs and a cheap composite/component to HDMI converter, and between that and the TV's variety of video modes and settings all of our old systems from the Master System and NES and on look awesome on it...EXCEPT for the PS2 which is insanely blurry and weird in some way no matter what I do.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Star Man posted:

You forgot Gradius II.

I dont even like gradius 1, just put it in there because it's a great port and people love gradius for who knows why. r-type is better

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Here's a recent review:

https://youtu.be/xsnvZJNPKf4

I wouldn't hold my breath that it's better, for the price and the likelihood of it just adapting the component video from the PS2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
One thing I will say for Gradius II is it's one of those ports that surpasses the arcade version, besides the awesome CD soundtrack it has an entire extra level. So if you do dig Gradius it's a must own. There's a very good Salamander port available also.

If one is more of an R-Type person though I'd stick with Psychosis/Psycho Break or Rayxanbar.

Sorry, RAI UN BURRRR!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKj7KI6Bps0

Two other PCE shooters I absolutely love but don't see talked about much are Down Load and Down Load 2. I wrote a lot of words about the first one here if you want to learn more about it, but the important thing is that it’s a challenging side scrolling shooter. And it just has a fantastic look and sound to it. It’s a great bridge between 80s and 90s anime cyberpunk despite it being a sidescrolling shooter with a few cutscenes and I find it really impressive for that.

It often gets forgotten about even among PC Engine fans, and is generally only known online for its incredible situational game over screens:

Anyway the game and its sequel completely own IMO.

The sequel isn’t quite as raw or dangerous feeling but it’s still really good, with a crazy plot about the bad guys trying to save Hitler’s brain like in the film They Saved Hitler’s Brain. But it has an A+++ soundtrack you can listen to here (skip to about 1m54s and go from there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBJVuGgbOQ

They ripped off the SPINAL TAP song Rock 'n Roll Creation but in general this is a really CD quality metal soundtrack for gaming with a lot of absurdly chipper chiptunes scattered in between, I love it. The first one's soundtrack is also great.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Here's a recent review:

Ugh yeah sounds like a skip.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Pc engine extension cables are literally just standard mini-din-8 cables that can be bought tons of places online (monoprice, amazon)

It's cheaper too when you just get a generic cable rather than searching for "pc engine extension"

I'm in the middle of rgb modding my duo-r (built the amplifier board last night) and love that it's made with standard parts.

I think it's my favorite console right now but I'm partial to vertical shooters. I usually just pick a game at random from the everdrive though and don't really know much about what I'm playing before I play it. It's got a great library of bizarre, fun games.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I'm thinking about investing in some SCART cables and converters, but I'm confused about something. Does SCART carry audio? I keep seeing cables that have separate audio outs, but some cables say they carry audio as well. What's the deal?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mangler103 posted:

I'm thinking about investing in some SCART cables and converters, but I'm confused about something. Does SCART carry audio? I keep seeing cables that have separate audio outs, but some cables say they carry audio as well. What's the deal?

yes in most cases it does but some SCART converters only work on the video side so you can use the audio out built in to some cables or use a breakout box. if you use one of the good scart converters in the op you don't have to worry about this, you plug console->scart cable->converter and from the converter you get component video and stereo audio RCA outputs

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the link and game suggestion. Even with a Everdrive, it really easy to just see a list of games and just be overwhelmed on what to select beyond the familiar games.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

d0s posted:

I dont even like gradius 1, just put it in there because it's a great port and people love gradius for who knows why. r-type is better

I mean I stab people in the throat if they like Sonic games or take Super Smash Bros. Melee seriously so

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just found a PVM9020 for like 60 dollars. Seems like a good deal. Will I get a good enough video quality on it with my Saturn using composite cable (at least until I get S-Video)?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mangler103 posted:

Yes, SCART carries the equivalent of the white and red RCA cables (L and R), but breakout cables are needed to get stereo from a Genesis 1, and there may be use for separate cables in some situations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Don't just install every rom at once (you need a higher autism level for this to be fun), make a curated collection at first and enjoy that stuff. treat it like buying games and building a collection only you're putting them on your piracy thing. use youtube longplays and emulation to make your "purchasing" decisions, and find out what companies or teams developed games you liked on other systems and research what they did on your new system as a jumping off point

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Just found a PVM9020 for like 60 dollars. Seems like a good deal. Will I get a good enough video quality on it with my Saturn using composite cable (at least until I get S-Video)?

that doesn't have RGB and is tiny just use a regular trinitron wega with component from a thrift store

e: seriously i wouldn't pay more than $10 for that, wait to find a good PVM

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is there a reason Model 1 Mega Drives only output stereo from the headphone jack and not the back end?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a reason Model 1 Mega Drives only output stereo from the headphone jack and not the back end?

The connector is the same one as the one used for the Sega Master System, and it only has pins for 1 audio channel. Why they didn't change/upgrade the back connector is anyone's guess, although in 1989 I think it was pretty rare to have a swanky enough TV for stereo, or even anything beyond RF in.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Part of it was probably backwards compatibility with the Master System and its cabling. Otherwise, RF, composite, and mono was what most people had at the time, I think.

E: fb

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this might be stupid childhood memories but I kinda remember way back in the mid-late 80's stereo was seen as something you primarily benefited from with headphones, like "wow it's in stereo gotta get some headphones for the correct experience". like the Game Boy having "stereo sound" printed on the cover but a single mono speaker

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Might've been a way to enjoy stereo sound without having to invest in a better TV. I know I would have loved to have a model 1 for that reason when I was a kid.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

d0s posted:

that doesn't have RGB and is tiny just use a regular trinitron wega with component from a thrift store

e: seriously i wouldn't pay more than $10 for that, wait to find a good PVM

Unfortunately I don't have room for a TV bigger than 15 inches and not much of a budget. I also saw a PVM8044Q for that price.

Anyway my current TV's quality isn't bothering that much and I plan to spend on a Dreamcast soon. I'm still all ears to TV suggestions.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

I also saw a PVM8044Q for that price.

That's a better model but still very very small. You would probably get more enjoyment by going to a thrift store (or craigslist) and looking for like any sony trinitron CRT TV around 20" (e: or 15", whatev). The really good (size+quality+RGB) PVMs cost hundreds of dollars now. Don't get too hung up on needing it to be a PVM, like you're talking about composite and S-video, PVMs are for when you want to move on to RGB and have some money to burn.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

d0s posted:

That's a better model but still very very small. You would probably get more enjoyment by going to a thrift store (or craigslist) and looking for like any sony trinitron CRT TV around 20" (e: or 15", whatev). The really good (size+quality+RGB) PVMs cost hundreds of dollars now. Don't get too hung up on needing it to be a PVM, like you're talking about composite and S-video, PVMs are for when you want to move on to RGB and have some money to burn.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm in Brazil so I have to rely on MercadoLivre instead but I guess I can find a nice Trinitron on it. Will check thrift stores downtown when possible too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got a really nice 27 inch JVC TV with component by searching my local Craigslist for "free TV".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Speaking of going to a thrift store for a TV to use, for a while I wasn't seeing any of them in thrift stores at all, besides maybe tiny little black & white portables. Today I happened to go by one and they had them, but they were all huge motherfuckers:

The other 3 or 4 there were the same size roughly, including two clones of the same Panasonic in the first picture.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I feel like bigger stores like goodwill and salvation army stopped accepting CRTVs a while ago, and now smaller stores might be the only option.
Craigslist usually has a bunch of free TVs. There is this 36 inch Sony WEGA unit in my area that has been listed forever since it weighs a metric ton.
I was actually thinking about picking up one of the smaller sony wega trinitrons. I hear they are pretty good? I used to have one in the past, but never really obsessed over image quality of my ps2 output 15 years go.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Putrid Grin posted:

I feel like bigger stores like goodwill and salvation army stopped accepting CRTVs a while ago, and now smaller stores might be the only option.
Craigslist usually has a bunch of free TVs. There is this 36 inch Sony WEGA unit in my area that has been listed forever since it weighs a metric ton.
I was actually thinking about picking up one of the smaller sony wega trinitrons. I hear they are pretty good? I used to have one in the past, but never really obsessed over image quality of my ps2 output 15 years go.

None of the Goodwill even have CRT or even LCD tvs near me anymore, which is strange since I have a crappy LCD tv I wanted to get rid of and they didn't want to take it. The two CRTs I got last year were a yard sale and a random "free tv" outside of a house.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

gently caress your trinitrons this is the authentic experience

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Rirse posted:

None of the Goodwill even have CRT or even LCD tvs near me anymore, which is strange since I have a crappy LCD tv I wanted to get rid of and they didn't want to take it. The two CRTs I got last year were a yard sale and a random "free tv" outside of a house.

Lot of recycling centers take CRTs in. Mine charges 20 bucks per unit for the privilege of dumping them there. I entertained the idea before of just rummaging through their stacks before, but you never know which ones are working, and which ones are just gigantic spider nests.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

gently caress your trinitrons this is the authentic experience

that's a relatively modern zenith in a wood case to make it look older? idk what I'm even looking at there it's so weird

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

d0s posted:

that's a relatively modern zenith in a wood case to make it look older? idk what I'm even looking at there it's so weird

They made wood console TVs way later than the wood grain fad lasted. Like into the early 90s, which that is probably from.

I even have a mid-90s Trinitron that is encased in fake wood.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah console TV sets were available very very late because people wanted to redecorate or replace a dead TV set without entirely rearranging the rooms to work with a proper entertainment center or tv stand to place a regular TV on top of. One of my great-uncles bought a brand new TV in a console cabinet like that for that reason, in the mid-90s, he was like 75 and didn't want to change a drat thing about his living room, he just wanted the Giants games to look right again cuz the old CRT had gone all hosed up in the colors.

You could order them custom at big appliance stores until the late 90s/early 2000s I think, though I suspect at that point it was just shifting remaining unsold stock from various stores around the country + refurbished units.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had an RCA console TV on top of an older Zenith console TV. The Zenith had doors for the screen. Took myself and two friends, and a creative use of leverage (for a 14-year-old) to move it up there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone got an opinion on the Hori Neo Geo Stick ?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How long before someone starts a cottage industry that builds CRTs?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone got an opinion on the Hori Neo Geo Stick ?

It really depends if you get one that's been used a lot or not, they nice when newish but they die dramatically and become awful. The regular Neo-Geo stick is a lot more consistent, or better yet since the Neo-Geo interface is just the controls wired straight to a DB15 connector, get a case and build your own out of real arcade parts: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/787-fight-stick-cases

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casimir Radon posted:

There's companies that still build CRTs and associated power/control boards that could be dropped into consumer TV chassis, sinc evarious military systems need them and will for the indefinite future.

Otherwise, actually starting a production line again would be mad expensive, considering the sort of stresses CRTs need to handle. They're relatively cheap/reliable to manufacture once production lines are going but getting started is a real pain and doing small batches is not really feasible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bespoke artisanal handmade CRTs with your choice of wood grain.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Bespoke artisanal handmade CRTs with your choice of wood grain.

Seems like a natural thing, hipsters in Portland running an urban farm and making CRTs on the side with scrounged vintage lumber, brass steampunk knobs, and a handlebar mustache where the manufacturer's logo should be.

Of course, the only input will be RF (and not even the aerial knob type; just the screws and you supply your own adapter "like the Europeans"), there's no TV tuner, and they'll try to sell you VHS tapes of a friend's "short camcorder film", recorded one spring day at Forest Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Casimir Radon posted:

We've already got hand-made vacuum tubes, so it's only a matter of time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw