Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
N: Justin Verlander and Kate Upton got married in Italy

V: Outside of winning game 6 this could not have been a better week for Justin :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Roundup from Saturday:

- Cardinals are reportedly offering "one of their best young pitchers" to Marlins for Stanton if Miami will eat some portion of Stanton's remaining salary. Stanton is owed 285MM through 2027 and has a team option year in 2028 for 25MM with a 10MM buyout, and Stanton can opt out after the 2020 season. Stanton also has full no-trade protection and rumor is he will veto any trade to a rebuild/non-contender as well as likely veto any trade to another east coast team.

- Blue Jays decline Jose Bautista's 17MM mutual option and buy him out for 500K. Bautista says he wants to play somewhere in 2018.

- Matt Wieters will exercise his 10.5MM player option with the Nationals after all.

- Surprising few, Johnny Cueto will not opt out of his Giants contract. Cueto's remaining contract maths out to 4/84.

- Qualifying offer deadline is 5PM Eastern on Monday and is valued at 17.4MM. Rumored QO offers include:

Jake Arrieta (CHC)
Lorenzo Cain (KCR)
Andrew Cashner (TEX)
Alex Cobb (TBR)
Zack Cozart (CIN)
Wade Davis (CHC)
Greg Holland (COL)
Eric Hosmer (KCR)
Lance Lynn (STL)
Logan Morrison (TBR)
Mike Moustakas (KCR)
CC Sabathia (NYY)
Carlos Santana (CLE)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

- Cardinals are reportedly offering "one of their best young pitchers" to Marlins for Stanton if Miami will eat some portion of Stanton's remaining salary.

So Reyes?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Would have to be Reyes, yeah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GobiasIndustries posted:

N: Justin Verlander and Kate Upton got married in Italy

V: Outside of winning game 6 this could not have been a better week for Justin :3:

Rough life for Verlander.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
There were some dumb fans complaining that JV didn't postpone his wedding so he could be at the parade :psyduck:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Intruder posted:

There were some dumb fans complaining that JV didn't postpone his wedding so he could be at the parade :psyduck:

Selfish idiots? In Texas, of all places? You're making GBS threads me.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

So Reyes?

I hate this idea so very much right now that it’s virtually guaranteed to happen and have me grudgingly accept it next year, only to grow more bitter with each successive Reyes Cy Young.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

Jake Arrieta (CHC)
Lorenzo Cain (KCR)
Andrew Cashner (TEX)
Alex Cobb (TBR)
Zack Cozart (CIN)
Wade Davis (CHC)
Greg Holland (COL)
Eric Hosmer (KCR)
Lance Lynn (STL)
Logan Morrison (TBR)
Mike Moustakas (KCR)
CC Sabathia (NYY)
Carlos Santana (CLE)

Cashner and Sabathia lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I hate this idea so very much right now that it’s virtually guaranteed to happen and have me grudgingly accept it next year, only to grow more bitter with each successive Reyes Cy Young.

It just seems like a really weird move to me. Cards only have $103m in payroll next year, they can afford to eat the entire Stanton contract and then some, and still have plenty of room for some FA's. Why trade away a good young arm to knock off some pennies? Particularly when Miami has signaled that more than anything else, they want to ditch payroll?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

It just seems like a really weird move to me. Cards only have $103m in payroll next year, they can afford to eat the entire Stanton contract and then some, and still have plenty of room for some FA's. Why trade away a good young arm to knock off some pennies? Particularly when Miami has signaled that more than anything else, they want to ditch payroll?

Stanton alone is over 25% of their current 2018 payroll in terms of AAV and if he doesn't opt out in 3 years you're probably stuck paying out the full 295MM left on his deal. There's also the possibility that it's Flaherty or Weaver and not Reyes they'd be willing to give up in exchange for eating some of the cost.

quote:

Indeed, Mozeliak expressed wariness toward Stanton-like contracts to Ortiz, saying: “When evaluating long-term investments you have to understand the impact on the out years and not simply on the day it’s signed. These types of investments tend to have a lot of risk or downside.” Chairman Bill Dewitt Jr. offered a similar sentiment. “As you can see, some of the long-term free agent contracts don’t really work out toward the end,” Dewitt said. “Clubs wish they hadn’t done them. We can afford a payroll that is very competitive and in the top third, which is where our revenues are, and that’s the way we look at it.”

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Cashner and Sabathia lol

These all came from the potentials talked about on mlb.com - Sabathia was mentioned because of his rebound season and good playoff pitching + Pineda being likely gone, and Cashner being possibly QOd because the Rangers need pitching and Texas might consider offering Cashner a raise to stay another year might be worth it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Stanton alone is over 25% of their current 2018 payroll in terms of AAV and if he doesn't opt out in 3 years you're probably stuck paying out the full 295MM left on his deal. There's also the possibility that it's Flaherty or Weaver and not Reyes they'd be willing to give up in exchange for eating some of the cost.

It could be Weaver, but between Waino's decline and Reyes presumably not being ready right out the gate I'm pretty sure the Cardinals need him in the rotation. Also no way the Marlins are going to eat any meaningful amount of Stanton's salary for Flaherty.

CubsWoo posted:

These all came from the potentials talked about on mlb.com - Sabathia was mentioned because of his rebound season and good playoff pitching + Pineda being likely gone, and Cashner being possibly QOd because the Rangers need pitching and Texas might consider offering Cashner a raise to stay another year might be worth it.

Any team with an FO worth their salt should be wary as hell about Cashner. His peripherals were loving awful: 4.61/5.30 FIP/xFIP, 4.64 K/9 (!) and 3.46 BB/9 (!!) and he wasn't getting anywhere near the GB rate (48%) or soft contact rate (18.5%) to he'd need to sustain overperforming his peripherals that well. I have no idea how he put up a 3.40 ERA outside of some absurd luck.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

What's the reason for Stanton likely veto-ing a trade to another east coast team?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The_Hat posted:

What's the reason for Stanton likely veto-ing a trade to another east coast team?

Seems to mostly be rumor around Stanton wanting any trade to bring him at least somewhat closer to California instead of staying on the east coast

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Houston is halfway there, just saying

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Vin Scully says he'll never watch another NFL game due to players protesting

https://twitter.com/Krug_Dog/status/927081994214764544

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^ e. Old white man has old white man opinion. Grass also green, water still wet.

He's got a full no-trade clause and (presumably) more than half of MLB teams willing to take him in some capacity. If Stanton has a specific place/team in mind, that's probably where he ends up.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

im glad the dodgers lost

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Damnit Vin

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

The Rangers, or anyone, giving 17 million dollars to Cashner is insane.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sydin posted:

^^^ e. Old white man has old white man opinion.

That's almost literally the title of the article I linked, yeah

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Blue Jays have $50M tied up in Morales, Tulo, and Russell Martin next season. With that $50M anchor wrapped around them I can't imagine they move any higher than 3rd in the AL East and that's only if they make smart moves around 2B and the OF. Sucks. :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's almost literally the title of the article I linked, yeah

:lol: fair wnough, I just watched the video you linked.

Still sucks to hear it from Vin, even if I'm not very surprised.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that one hurts a little...

I mean, no. Not surprising. But still a bummer.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I feel a bit selfish when I say that I'd like Davis to stay with the Cubs. I think he had a pretty decent season when a save was available.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

These all came from the potentials talked about on mlb.com - Sabathia was mentioned because of his rebound season and good playoff pitching + Pineda being likely gone

I want the Yankees to bring Sabathia back, but they can pay him less than the QO.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I bet there will be a bunch of drama over whether Otani gets posted, like there was when Tanaka came over. Contradictory reports in the Japanese media, the team threatening to not post him, etc. I also think that one way or another he'll get way more than $5 million guaranteed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

I feel a bit selfish when I say that I'd like Davis to stay with the Cubs. I think he had a pretty decent season when a save was available.

Like Arrieta, Davis won't be back with the Cubs because he's earned a paycheck the Cubs aren't willing to write. It's unfortunate, and to be honest as good as next year's FA class looks I'm worried the Cubs are shooting themselves in the foot by undertaking another year of dumpster diving while the Cardinals are aggressively looking to beef up their roster in Stanton, Davis, Donaldson, etc.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's ready

It smells far worse than it looks

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
God speed, Intruder. That looks like it is gonna kill you.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
gently caress yes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

amazing!!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

It's ready

It smells far worse than it looks

Mustard & Hollandaise: A winning sauce combination.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
We better get video of this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly I'm just kind of impressed you made it because I've never been able to successfully emulsify to create a Hollandaise sauce.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Oh my.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I made a video of eating three of them. I will eat the other three later. The final bite barely went down, I am literally about to throw up. It's far, far worse than I expected

Glad I didn't say all in one sitting! Or did I? If I did I'll fire it up, grab a barf bucket, and try to make it

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
oh god that is just grotesque

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLBCMWhsFUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RIP in Peace Goon Sire