Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait what? I found that moon brain dead simple :psyduck:

Like I did it first try by just gunning it to the end, then hopping to the lower floor and just long jumping back. After I just got done with the scooter-less moon it felt like a breather level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

When my brother beat the banzai bill section he walked off to the side and set the controller down triumphantly. For some reason he assumed the banzai bills didn't home and traveled in a straight line. He was really upset when it missed the moon completely and hit him instead. I laughed real hard at that.

That's probably the hardest platforming moon in the game. I'd say its harder than any individual section of Darker Side.

I did exactly the same thing. :downs:

Luckily I'd got the timing down and managed to do it the next try anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait what? I found that moon brain dead simple :psyduck:

Like I did it first try by just gunning it to the end, then hopping to the lower floor and just long jumping back. After I just got done with the scooter-less moon it felt like a breather level

Consistent, repeated long jumps isn't a skill you really get tested on at any other point in the game. I'm pretty sure most people find it difficult to pull off.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So after reading about everyone saying how hard Darker Side was, beat it without dying once and feel let down. They absolutely spoil you with hearts at every section, how is this supposed to be hard?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RCarr posted:

So after reading about everyone saying how hard Darker Side was, beat it without dying once and feel let down. They absolutely spoil you with hearts at every section, how is this supposed to be hard?

maybe you're just good at game, nothing wrong with that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Consistent, repeated long jumps isn't a skill you really get tested on at any other point in the game. I'm pretty sure most people find it difficult to pull off.

It's pretty drat easy to time, all you have to do is hold the stick forward and press ZL+B as you land on the next block. They're spaced properly for it so once you start you're golden.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

maybe you're just good at game, nothing wrong with that

In my opinion it would have been better if there wasn’t a heart every 30 seconds. It would have made it truly challenging.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RCarr posted:

In my opinion it would have been better if there wasn’t a heart every 30 seconds. It would have made it truly challenging.

Someone's never had a segment of that level just go horribly wrong for them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Frying_Pants/status/926991088933629952

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I understand you need 120 moons to finish the game. If I go ahead and finish the game and then later get the 500 moons for the true ending can I still see that or is there some point of no return on this?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The additional moons just open up new areas. There’s no additional ending or anything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RCarr posted:

The additional moons just open up new areas. There’s no additional ending or anything.

Oh. Well that answers that. Thank you.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So I understand you need 120 moons to finish the game. If I go ahead and finish the game and then later get the 500 moons for the true ending can I still see that or is there some point of no return on this?

The end is just the beginning.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It irks me that there aren't 120 stars in the mushroom kingdom. They got so close, they could have easily thrown a handful of extra stars into that map.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what are some fun hard moons to do in the postgame? a lot of the extra platforming that opened up isn't as fun as it would be. talking about stuff in the earlier stages not dark side.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RCarr posted:

You definitely don’t have every moon to that point. Also you being a sperg and being unable to move on until you do everything available is not a valid criticism.

You can say "You're being a sperg," but the reality is that I have a preference against backtracking if I can avoid it. It makes it easier to keep track of what you've done which in turn means you don't accidentally repeat objectives you've already managed. But also, I don't think it's all that uncommon for people to enjoy the feeling of having something finished and out their mind before moving on to the next challenge.

In any case, the climax of New Donk was charming, so I'm certainly still enjoying myself.

Also gently caress yeah 104 jumps.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Frankston posted:

It irks me that there aren't 120 stars in the mushroom kingdom. They got so close, they could have easily thrown a handful of extra stars into that map.

I wish all of Mario 64 was there

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Photo mode owns

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

So I planted the seeds in Seaside Kingdom but one of the plants doesn't seem to want to bear a moon. It's just growing taller and taller...

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zuzie posted:

So I planted the seeds in Seaside Kingdom but one of the plants doesn't seem to want to bear a moon. It's just growing taller and taller...

Water makes plants grow!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RCarr posted:

Please do not make me relive The Perfect Run from Galaxy 2.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RCarr posted:

Just because you beat it on your first try doesn't mean it's not very hard. Your sample size makes you absolutely the incorrect person to determine how hard it actually is.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cobalt Viper posted:

Just because you beat it on your first try doesn't mean it's not very hard. Your sample size makes you absolutely the incorrect person to determine how hard it actually is.

I’m not saying it was a cakewalk or anything, but for the ultimate challenge of the game to have heart pieces during/after literally every small section seems to leave too much room for error. I’m not trying to sound all elitist or anything, there were plenty of things in the game that gave me plenty of trouble. It just was anticlimactic after expecting to spend a while trying to master it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My buddy just sent this to me :wtf:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
wtf its not even purple

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

My buddy just sent this to me :wtf:

It's free with the game, I think they just put a price on it to have it in the system.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am missing three purple coins in Mushroom Kingdom and it is driving me insane. :byodood:

Edit: Got em. They were at the bottom of Dorrie's lake, hidden in a cave.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 6, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I am missing three purple coins in Mushroom Kingdom and it is driving me insane. :byodood:

have you got the three dangling off the edge of world on the waterfall? those were the ones that stumped me till someone itt helped me out

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a post-game Moon in Seaside Kingdom I'm struggling with:

It's the one where you're a bird, and there's two lines of bombs rolling down the main space. I've gotten the primary moon, but the one behind it I'm failing to be taught how to get. Like, I get that I need to use a bomb to blow up the glowing grey brick, but there's a metal grate that blocks the bomb.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

MisterBibs posted:

There's a post-game Moon in Seaside Kingdom I'm struggling with:

It's the one where you're a bird, and there's two lines of bombs rolling down the main space. I've gotten the primary moon, but the one behind it I'm failing to be taught how to get. Like, I get that I need to use a bomb to blow up the glowing grey brick, but there's a metal grate that blocks the bomb.

Hit the bomb from the other side so that it curves along the chute and into the block

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no idea how the logistics of bowsers fire blow are supposed to work. I know I can jump it but it seems wildly inconsistent and even if you do it still looks like Mario is right in the fire.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
These purple coins are driving me nuts. I've been doing good finishing a few worlds off, but man I can't find the last three in New Donk City.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

veni veni veni posted:

I have no idea how the logistics of bowsers fire blow are supposed to work. I know I can jump it but it seems wildly inconsistent and even if you do it still looks like Mario is right in the fire.

But you don't get hurt so it's good. I think you only get hurt if you're literally on the ground when it passes you.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Post game stuff, I guess: Once I get to the Mushroom Kingdom, am I supposed to doing something? The Toads mention Peach ran off again, am I supposed to be tracking her down? Is this the point where I hop in the Odyssey and get all the moons?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh god I'm missing exactly three purple coins in mushroom kingdom and i'm never gonna find them :cry:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Post game stuff, I guess: Once I get to the Mushroom Kingdom, am I supposed to doing something? The Toads mention Peach ran off again, am I supposed to be tracking her down? Is this the point where I hop in the Odyssey and get all the moons?

Get hunting, my boy. The world is your playground.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Oh god I'm missing exactly three purple coins in mushroom kingdom and i'm never gonna find them :cry:

New amiibo™ Bowser (Wedding) available at your local retailer for a MSRP of $12.99!

Waffleman_ posted:

Get hunting, my boy. The world is your playground.

Yeehaw.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
There should be purple coin location hint-selling NPC who appears when you get like, all but 10 of them in a zone.

Also I can't get over how good Mario's 3D moveset is. It's brilliant. I like that the 2D games are all about mastering complex platforming with a very simple moveset, whereas the 3D games are focused more on mastering a complex moveset via platforming that caters to that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

There should be purple coin location hint-selling NPC who appears when you get like, all but 10 of them in a zone.

Also I can't get over how good Mario's 3D moveset is. It's brilliant. I like that the 2D games are all about mastering complex platforming with a very simple moveset, whereas the 3D games are focused more on mastering a complex moveset via platforming that caters to that.

i was just messin around doing hat-dives and long jumps and big stupid fun jump combos searching for piles of coins, when cappy chimed in and said "great jump!". it made me realise i had been twiddling around for about an hour with no goal other than "can i jump up there? i bet i can".

going back to any other 3D mario is going to feel painfully limited after this. his moveset is just terrific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LODGE NORTH posted:

New amiibo™ Bowser (Wedding) available at your local retailer for a MSRP of $12.99!
Old Bowser amiibo also work if you have those lying around.

And yeah, that's a lovely solution, but wedding bowser amiibo rules so I have no complaints :kimchi:

Watched an any% run of this, 1:24 with room for improvement, game is great, movement is great, and I do hope "world peace%" takes off (aka "all main quests", really, rather than just leaving when you have enough moons) to see more even if the boss fights aren't great

• Locked thread