Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Solex 'peds are cool and good. Quit bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Amazing. Is the engine only usable in a straight line?

Its usable at all times. Just pull the decompression lever, pedal to walking speeds or there abouts. Release and off you go.

Coydog posted:

As someone who has owned a tire friction drive moped, all I can say is "Why would you do this to yourself?!".

Because I'm not right in the head and always wanted a Solex. Besides it was free and I needed something to scoot around on at tractor shows and stuff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm the Tacoma fuel pump gasket

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Its usable at all times. Just pull the decompression lever, pedal to walking speeds or there abouts. Release and off you go.

Because I'm not right in the head and always wanted a Solex. Besides it was free and I needed something to scoot around on at tractor shows and stuff.

First off that looks awesome. Secondly, how fast do those go? Because it also looks terrifying.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Finally got this season's handgourds installed

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kuffs posted:

Finally got this season's handgourds installed

Goddammit I was gonna do this but got busy and completely forgot about it.

Left bar switch partially replaced with one from a kawi to integrate a hazard switch while retaining the original flash to pass switch.

(this is easily one of my favorite mods to a bike)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's really neat. What's the part number? You think it can be integrated to most bikes?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the third one I've set up. It's pretty solder and screw for anything.
Kawis from zx14 to versys..some have trip (black button) others have hazard.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

First off that looks awesome. Secondly, how fast do those go? Because it also looks terrifying.

It only tops out at around twenty. But people do big bore kits and higher comp heads. Even engine swaps and race them. Which looks terrifying. So if I find a second one I'll probably do that and go tear up the local kart track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLZ-RE3VyY

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 25, 2017

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
That looks incredibly fun.

I’ve been searching very idly for a couple years waiting for a good deal on a reasonably whole VeloSolex, because they’re so fascinatingly weird, but they’re all $1200 and I just lose my enthusiasm. I’ll never understand why these seem to command the same or higher prices than a Mobylette, nor why either of those ever approach Ninja 250 money, anyway.

Someone sell me a $400 Solex that runs, dammit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks to help here, I gave my grom a functioning 3wire to 2 wire conversion that regained the DRL function and allowed the gauges to work normally. It works well, and allows for different aux lights to be plugged in in the future if I wish.

Forgive the wonky wires. Previous owner cut and spliced close to the plug for some god forsaken reason, and I wanted to reuse my OEM 3 wire plug.

Here it is in action. I'm pretty proud of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETzJ3_WNRw

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Excerpt from the KTM user manual: “to fill your coolant, remove your fairings so you can pull your gas tank back about two inches, exposing the coolant reservoir cap. No need to disconnect your fuel lines. *evil, Austrian cackling*”

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Escaped work early and did a loop of Mt. Hood. Bad picture, but saw lots of good fall colors. :cabot:

Put the Triumph frame slider things on yesterday, and the flyscreen kit shows up on Monday. I wish it had a little more space for luggage -- the Kriega can partially block the taillight -- but other than that it's perfect.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
How is the chipseal on the highways around Portland for riding? Drove around Oregon for vacation this year and most of the roads are in fantastic shaped compared to what I'm used to in the midwest, but that chipseal surface in the Portland metro area seemed like it would be lovely on a bike.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I put some Oxford heated grips on my bike last night & did my first commute with them this morning. Holy loving poo poo they're amazing. I can't believe I did an entire winter without them last year.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

Excerpt from the KTM user manual: “to fill your coolant, remove your fairings so you can pull your gas tank back about two inches, exposing the coolant reservoir cap. No need to disconnect your fuel lines. *evil, Austrian cackling*”

:lol: That's psychotic. I'm so happy to be back in the warm embrace of JDM, no matter how boring and appliance like the honda is, or how ridiculously outdated the Suzuki is.

I miss the wheelies and mental attitude of the ktm, though. :(

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

How is the chipseal on the highways around Portland for riding? Drove around Oregon for vacation this year and most of the roads are in fantastic shaped compared to what I'm used to in the midwest, but that chipseal surface in the Portland metro area seemed like it would be lovely on a bike.

It might be Stockholm syndrome from living here so long, but I don’t think they’re too bad. They’re pretty good at sweeping up the loose gravel left over after it hardens.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Put a big comfy seat on the grom and some hand mitts on my buddy's mechanical nightmare yamaha (which is leaking oil after a new engine was installed).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday: swapped the chain on the Rex and got halfway into replacing the dashboard lights with LEDs. The clip master link on the old chain was coming apart - the side plates were all the way off the x-rings. So that's terrifying. The new chain went on really easy; I guess if you screw up enough you figure out what to do.

With the lights, I replaced the bulbs, but half of them weren't working. I'm hoping it's just something stupid like having to flip the new bulbs because diodes. Ran out of time before I could take everything apart again.

Today I spent the entire day in my underpants watching Stranger Things and setting up new furniture.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phy posted:

With the lights, I replaced the bulbs, but half of them weren't working. I'm hoping it's just something stupid like having to flip the new bulbs because diodes. Ran out of time before I could take everything apart again.

Almost certainly.

Today, I got the new tire put on. Getting the exhaust off was an exercise in hammer usage after the application of AeroKroil. That stuff loosened the exhaust clamp bolts (that I thought were just pins because of the rust), and managed to make it 2/3 of the way up the exhaust. Great stuff. Then hammer out the axle.

I took the wheel into work and used the tire machine and big bucket of lube. I also used the parts washer to clean off the rim and axle. Got everything coated in Moly anti-sieze, so hopefully next time this won't be an issue.

After reassembly and static balance, I sprayed soapy water around the rim. It's still leaking in the same place; I guess the rim just sucks there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Almost certainly.

Eeeyup, that was it. Murphy is alive and well.

Also found out I have a K&N drop-in filter, and I need to replace my brake lines.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Revvik posted:

KTM engineer writing routine maintenance procedures:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude he has it easy. To bleed my adv it's raise the front wheel of a five-hundred pound bike 50cm/~20" off the ground, remove all bleed plugs, fill the system, when no air comes out of the bleeder, screw it back in. There's 4.

I'm totally not bitchin'. It took some creativeness to accomplish.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have a 990 ADV. I understand the pain of submitting to an evil scientist's maintenance plan.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bleeding/burping the coolant in my Hawk requires running the engine with the gas tank off the bike so I guess it's a good thing that it has carbs and float bowls ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

This pile of eBay garbage still holds air??
Also put discs back on the DRZ. I guess I could use a different rotor on it, but today I am going to make one of these rear wheels fit right.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jazzzzz posted:

It only really sucks when it's fresh. Once it's been packed down and swept off it's like extra-abrasive pavement.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

This pile of eBay garbage still holds air??
Also put discs back on the DRZ. I guess I could use a different rotor on it, but today I am going to make one of these rear wheels fit right.

Seca? FZR?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

GS500. And I did not get a wheel to fit right 😑

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

clutchpuck posted:

It only really sucks when it's fresh. Once it's been packed down and swept off it's like extra-abrasive pavement.

Yeah. They chipsealed the road up to my house. ~1.5miles of greased marbles for a week, then they swept everything and it's glorious. I've been told they're going to put a tar-like topcoat on and then stripe it, but I'll believe that when I see it, since it's now "winter no more maintenance" time.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pic of me trying to run my DRZ with an inappropriately installed aftermarket gas tank, I guess.

Man, it’s been great having some days off to decompress. I got most of the suspension work wrapped up on my low rider xB. It still needs an alignment, but also a full set of tires for the coming winter and tie rods and I might as well toss in the rest of the bushings I have for it. And I remounted the air pressure gauges where I can loving see them, you worthless POS P.O.

But this is CA. The DRZ got its used aftermarket tank put on, but it never occurred to me to find out how to do it the right way. I spent some time shaving down the spoked rear SM wheel I have for it. No luck getting it to clear the chain. I have some ideas on that to avoid just buying a smaller tire. Brake discs are on and the front spoked SM wheel is at least a go.

Rear GS500 wheel though... I got that to “fit” so I went looking for a shop to grind the rear disc down 10mm. First shop I tried told me nah, not a service they offer - but the owner tossed me a set of safety glasses and let me do it myself with his air tools and bench grinder. Was pretty amazed about that. So much so that I forgot to countersink the mounting holes and get appropriate bolts for it to clear the caliper carrier.

I’d still like to find a shop to bore out the GS500 wheel to take the appropriate bearings I have plus make a brake mounting bracket so the wheel can take DRZ discs - I want the wheel changes to be as painless as possible so I can go dirt / street and back. Plus I need to find some missing parts to help mount this tank - I need a seat bracket at minimum.

I used to just roll out of bed, cook up some food, mess around in the garage... now it’s back to 16 hour shifts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Dude he has it easy. To bleed my adv it's raise the front wheel of a five-hundred pound bike 50cm/~20" off the ground, remove all bleed plugs, fill the system, when no air comes out of the bleeder, screw it back in. There's 4.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I have a 990 ADV. I understand the pain of submitting to an evil scientist's maintenance plan.

I find it pretty pleasant to work on to be honest. Everything comes apart logically. This is super handy cause I've yet been nailed in the rear end by a PO again :D

I haven't said much about this bike, but lol the LC8 will run when the PO times the exhaust cams a tooth off both retarded/advanced. This engine tends to remind me of some old school mercedes mills.
It was puking coolant, so down it came to retorque head nuts (non-tsb update, he lied), found cams wrong. (last weekend)
Today flushed with distilled, today Toyota pink (tm) went in.
countershaft nut was loose. Oil jet was clear. Minor victories.

This is what it's like to bleed coolant. Right side tank/fairing off, Up the ramp to ~50cm, fill till it pukes, cap it off, start/run while leaning up to 15* to walk any remaining bubbles out. Once the Tstat opens and there are no more bubbles, put the cap back on.
This is a modification of the original fill/bleed method adopted by years as a eurotrash mechanic. it worked earlier this week prior to a 420mi daytrip

Yeah so he posted elsewhere on AdvRider :v: that he sold it cause the bike "became a bear" and he got tired of wrenching instead of riding. Howsabout :
:Not HeeHawing steering bearings, they don't need that much loving preload
:Not use lovely parts store crimps
:Jet your poo poo for your altitude, not Mt. Everest
:Verify TPS is in the right voltage range
:Sync your carbs by using a Vacuum gauge, not a boost gauge from a KW :v:
:Set your loving cam timing properly
That said, It's pretty damned nice now and I'm happy.

E: I sent him a PM goin yea it runs pretty nice now *youtube video of it running*. No response.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 5, 2017

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Good work! Yeah I don't mind the 990 maintenance that much, but the reputation that springs out of an infamous "three hour" oil change involving multiple filters and screens is a rude departure from, say, an SV650.

Last time I did coolant I removed mirrors and windscreen and used a ratchet strap as a lifting device around a ladder over the bike. :raise:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I find it pretty pleasant to work on to be honest. Everything comes apart logically. This is super handy cause I've yet been nailed in the rear end by a PO again :D

I haven't said much about this bike, but lol the LC8 will run when the PO times the exhaust cams a tooth off both retarded/advanced. This engine tends to remind me of some old school mercedes mills.
It was puking coolant, so down it came to retorque head nuts (non-tsb update, he lied), found cams wrong. (last weekend)
Today flushed with distilled, today Toyota pink (tm) went in.
countershaft nut was loose. Oil jet was clear. Minor victories.

This is what it's like to bleed coolant. Right side tank/fairing off, Up the ramp to ~50cm, fill till it pukes, cap it off, start/run while leaning up to 15* to walk any remaining bubbles out. Once the Tstat opens and there are no more bubbles, put the cap back on.
This is a modification of the original fill/bleed method adopted by years as a eurotrash mechanic. it worked earlier this week prior to a 420mi daytrip

Yeah so he posted elsewhere on AdvRider :v: that he sold it cause the bike "became a bear" and he got tired of wrenching instead of riding. Howsabout :
:Not HeeHawing steering bearings, they don't need that much loving preload
:Not use lovely parts store crimps
:Jet your poo poo for your altitude, not Mt. Everest
:Verify TPS is in the right voltage range
:Sync your carbs by using a Vacuum gauge, not a boost gauge from a KW :v:
:Set your loving cam timing properly
That said, It's pretty damned nice now and I'm happy.

E: I sent him a PM goin yea it runs pretty nice now *youtube video of it running*. No response.

This is both hilarious and sad.

I’ve read about folks tightening down steering bearings as a sort of mini-steering damper. I can’t say I understand why you’d do that but...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awww yeah this is what I'm here for.

builds character posted:

I’ve read about folks tightening down steering bearings as a sort of mini-steering damper. I can’t say I understand why you’d do that but...

The same reason you'd leave your chain super slack so it induces some sick oversteer or put some two stroke in your four stroke cause it'll to do it some good: being a clueless idiot with itchy palms.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 5, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did the valve adjust on the XR. 46k and two valves were just getting tight. Pulled them all to the loose end of the spec, did the rest of the maintenance, and looking forward to another 100k (or the release of the H2SX, maybe).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Did the valve adjust on the XR. 46k and two valves were just getting tight. Pulled them all to the loose end of the spec, did the rest of the maintenance, and looking forward to another 100k (or the release of the H2SX, maybe).

46K?! I have a new respect for how awesome that bike must be, now.

I ditched the bent, beat, and ugly stock DR bars for some KTM Renthal fat bars today. $30 shipped because I realized that ktm puts them on all bikes so part outs must be cheap vs the same thing for 70 new. Really classes the place up, you know? Not sure about the 1 inch rise, though. Standing it's super comfy and I love it, but sitting feels like ape hangers. :( I also need some 1 inch adapters for my hand guards.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

don't forget to turn the gas on

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I need a sticker like that, and I've never even owned a fuel injected bike...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can't forget to turn it on if you always forget to turn it off.

What's everyone's read on the bars, as well as the height. I've never had what could be rally height bars before. Should I lower them back down or try to find a taller seat?