Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

cowboy elvis posted:

Is there a nice summary of all this crazy saudi stuff?

This is really crude and not even slightly right, but as far as I can see, the kids want to take out the parents. Parents are how can I put it, slightly conservative, the kids aren't. One side jumped first and they're in a race to wipe each other out as fast as possible.

I'd put my money on the kids, they're the only bloody chance that country has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So the pastor's 14 year old daughter was there, but not the pastor or his wife. The gently caress? You're a goddamn pastor, your job requires one day of work, and you go gently caress off for a day and let your kid run the show?

I know it was probably a deacon or some other figure head in the church running it, but come on. One day a week man. One day a week.

Was it during the service? If not then could explain it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
This KSA situation is pretty unreal given it's the year of our Lord 2017. It's a good thing no one in the American really gives a poo poo about the Middle East or we might be hearing about it more.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It appears King Salman and his son Crown Prince Mohammed are waging war against any other factions that could possibly challenge their rule.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fun!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah is there a good starting point to read on the Saudi situation? Or a TL;DR version.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

It is for me, a close mate of mine went there to teach english about a month ago. I'm hoping he legs it, not heard anything from him since this all kicked off.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So if you have relatives working for a certain Saudi American oil company...at what point do you tell them to get the gently caress out of Dodge?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Hexyflexy posted:

So total civil war then.

Keep going I'm almost there.

Seriously, where can I read more about this?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So if you have relatives working for a certain Saudi American oil company...at what point do you tell them to get the gently caress out of Dodge?

ASAP.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So prohibited person?

Yep. Question 11 g on the ATF form 4473 asks if you've received a dishonorable discharge, and a DD prohibits possession regardless of how you acquire a firearm. So even if it was a private purchase, he's still legally prohibited from having the gun.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah is there a good starting point to read on the Saudi situation? Or a TL;DR version.

Believe it or not, but CNN has a pretty decent summary.

This is probably the beginning of the proxy war that's been burning for a while turning into an open war. It's a good thing we have a fully staffed State Department to prevent us from getting dragged into a war with Iran. :suicide:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Which side did we just do that massive arms deal with?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It's the Lebanon poo poo that has me worried. KSA is trying to bait Israel into taking another swing at Hizballah, and if they do, they'll make 2006 look like a picnic. Hizballah has five years of new combat experience given their involvement in Syria, and has learned all kinds of new unconventional warfare tricks from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

To say nothing of all of Hizballah's conventional weapons and war preparations, which are stronger than at any point since their inception. A new round of Israel vs Hizballah would probably see Beirut razed and a fuckton of dead Israelis in Haifa and elsewhere in northern Israel.

And lucky me, I'm supposed to go there for a wedding in March. :downsgun:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Which one of you wrote the A.V. Club review of Threads?

quote:

https://www.avclub.com/threads-served-up-a-bleakly-british-depiction-of-our-im-1819231394
After all, there’s something undeniably cathartic about just dropping the pretense and reveling in the hopelessness of the modern human condition; like Jimmy and his pal shrugging off World War III in favor of another pint, hey, it’s not like we can do anything about it. The best we can hope is to be drunk and snug inside the blast radius when our own death from above arrives.

But that wasn’t what Jackson or Hines intended, of course. They wanted Threads to spur the international outcry for nuclear disarmament, to become activists for the cause the same way Ruth’s portrayer Karen Meagher did. They wanted us to put down the pint and go do something, to recognize that the ties binding us together needed to be tightened immediately, before they were forever torn. For all its grim hopelessness, Threads had a subtextual faith that people would understand all this before it was too late.

Watching Threads now, in 2017, when the ones holding those strings in their tiny hands only seem to care about yanking them for their own ego-gratifying amusement, well… With apologies to the charred babies and incinerated cats, maybe the scariest thing about Threads is how grimly, hopelessly naive that seems.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Israeli chicks are my weakness.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

It's the Lebanon poo poo that has me worried. KSA is trying to bait Israel into taking another swing at Hizballah, and if they do, they'll make 2006 look like a picnic. Hizballah has five years of new combat experience given their involvement in Syria, and has learned all kinds of new unconventional warfare tricks from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

To say nothing of all of Hizballah's conventional weapons and war preparations, which are stronger than at any point since their inception. A new round of Israel vs Hizballah would probably see Beirut razed and a fuckton of dead Israelis in Haifa and elsewhere in northern Israel.

Hizbollah has been telling Israel for a while now that the next war will be fought on Israeli soil, and I sure as hell believe them.

They might not win on Israeli soil but I don't think that's the aim either. It's to bring the consequences of war to Israel itself. I also think Israel knows this and wants no loving piece of that.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Israeli chicks are my weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc83jmVtiBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHHph-CrC8

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Which one of you wrote the A.V. Club review of Threads?

I live in Sheffield, not long after I moved here, the council bulldozed a load of the city centre (about 2003), including the main council building that gets blown up in the film. Guess who had a panic attack watching the thing get knocked over in real life :P

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

It depends on the sect/location. If they're anywhere near Beirut you're probably ok, but if you're near the Israeli far south or the far north ehh.....you're really not supposed to be traveling there anyway as an American citizen right now.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Anta posted:

Hizbollah has been telling Israel for a while now that the next war will be fought on Israeli soil, and I sure as hell believe them.

They might not win on Israeli soil but I don't think that's the aim either. It's to bring the consequences of war to Israel itself. I also think Israel knows this and wants no loving piece of that.

They know they can't win. Their only objective would be to make sure neither does Israel and they almost definitely can make that happen. Pretty sure it would fall off a cliff real fast and neither one is that dumb. Hopefully.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This Saudi succession fight has been brewing since before Abdullah died. The remaining Sudairi brothers ultimately outmaneuvered everyone else and now Salman is pushing them off so MbS will take the throne. The writing is on the wall: if you supported the other brothers, get in line or get a bullet.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Which Prince was it that wanted to build a high tech, mega Saudi one city on this uninhabited peninsula? Was it the crown Prince or that one guy who Bloomberg jerks off on a weekly basis.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hasn't Hizbullah lost like more than 5k men in Syria? What's their combat strength like? Maybe they have gained a lot of combat experience but their massive losses must have greatly impacted their combat effectiveness.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Defense Contractors have a King.

https://twitter.com/CraigMWhitlock/status/927343214062956544?s=09

E: dude is 350 lbs :worship:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Immanentized posted:

Which Prince was it that wanted to build a high tech, mega Saudi one city on this uninhabited peninsula? Was it the crown Prince or that one guy who Bloomberg jerks off on a weekly basis.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:flashfap:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Immanentized posted:

The crown prince announced it last week

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well on the bright side he's American, so I assume that gets him the quick GTFO ticket via the US embassy if needed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jesus gently caress. Gotta love how all these high ranking fucks making (relative) bank can be bought with such little money / tickets / luxury vacations / hookers. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

It's like fucktard politicians who can be bought with $10k in donations to vote in a company's interest. It is pathetic how little these loving assholes are bought for. Talk about selling out.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

How...how many admirals are there?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LMAO. So what percentage of the Navy's total officer corps is currently tied up in this whole thing?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

LMAO. So what percentage of the Navy's total officer corps is currently tied up in this whole thing?

Edit: :argh: was phone posting

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 6, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

indeed

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

psydude posted:

Apparently there are somewhere around 270-290 admirals, so 1 in 5

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Doc Hawkins posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/927312251656265728?s=09

If so, it's clearly proof we can't safely let Bergdhal go free.

PROOF WE MUST END THE DEPLORABLE PRACTICE OF DISHONORABLY DISCHARGING AMERICAS HEROES

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zeris posted:

PROOF WE MUST END THE DEPLORABLE PRACTICE OF DISHONORABLY DISCHARGING AMERICAS HEROES

The Daily Beast has his background, finally. It wasn't a dishonorable, it was a Bad Conduct discharge, with a year of confinement. Anyone want to guess what for? (Hint: what do almost all mass shooters have a history of?)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/devin-patrick-kelley-idd-as-sutherland-springs-church-killer

quote:

Kelley was discharged from the Air Force in 2014, according to Defense Department records. Kelley was court-martialed in November 2012 for assaulting his wife and their child. A judge sentenced him with a bad-conduct discharge, 12 months confinement, and two reductions in rank to basic airman, according to an appeals court decision in 2013 that affirmed the decision against Kelley.

That explains why he was allowed to have the gun (only dishonorables prohibit ownership), why he got busted down to E-1, and why even the military thought he was a tremendous piece of poo poo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So how bad is this
https://twitter.com/AP/status/927355812888088576

And here I thought the next world war would start with NK. But no this is basically the plot of Threads so I’m sure we will be fine.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:smugdon: :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I don't get it?

• Locked thread