Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cheez posted:

I feel as if that section with the "greyscale" water isn't intended, because I've never seen it like that and I'm aware that there's multiple versions of the rom because one doesn't play nice with certain emulators. I've never seen the glitchy lines, either. The way I remember it, it was orange-ish water like before, but each screen was "clearer" than the previous one.

That was at the start of the level, when Megaman is running through the poo water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really like the concept of the final level, but it's completely ruined by the Kaizo-like midpoint that forces you to lose your powerups and the needless scarcity on spare mushrooms. If you got one mushroom when you started out and that mushroom respawned when you completed one of the courses, the level would be that much better. Why is this incredibly simple concept lost on the level's creators, and on ROM hackers in general?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

They play with and abuse save states and rewind when playing their levels, so to them the idea of "this is too loving hard and obnoxious" doesn't exist. They can literally press a button, go back like a second in time or so, and know what's coming. Thus, to them, it doesn't matter if you don't get power ups when your ability to literally see the future allows you to avoid ever getting hit.

They don't understand that having to do that isn't a positive, though. They're just abusing the idea of trial and error in miniature for every obstacle. Again, save states and such here, if you get fatigued on a level it's very easy, from their perspective, to drop a save state and come back later.

That, and they want to feel clever. They assume you'll use save states and rewind, too, so they try to up the challenge regardless. Require levels of precision that ensure extremely minor mistakes are punished by death? Doesn't matter when you can reload immediately before the attempt, but they don't think about the idea of those players who are playing it "vanilla" or whatever and actually following the game's rules for lives and midpoints and stuff.

Basically, if your level is trying to gently caress the player over because they have access to outside emulator tools, it doesn't matter if it's clever, it should go in the bottom of the pile. Make something fun, don't make something "fun".

Other news, Minus Infinity remains my favorite Mega Man ROM hack, and also everyone should play Make A Good Mega Man Level Contest 2, it's good, it has a gently caress load of unlockables, and it's basically just a joy to play. Except for a few parts, but overall way less obnoxious bullshit than VLDC.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

get that OUT of my face posted:

I really like the concept of the final level, but it's completely ruined by the Kaizo-like midpoint that forces you to lose your powerups and the needless scarcity on spare mushrooms. If you got one mushroom when you started out and that mushroom respawned when you completed one of the courses, the level would be that much better. Why is this incredibly simple concept lost on the level's creators, and on ROM hackers in general?

Same. Having a "boss rush" but with all the different worlds is a great idea but there's no need at all for the mushroom limit thing

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kurui Reiten posted:

They play with and abuse save states and rewind when playing their levels, so to them the idea of "this is too loving hard and obnoxious" doesn't exist. They can literally press a button, go back like a second in time or so, and know what's coming. Thus, to them, it doesn't matter if you don't get power ups when your ability to literally see the future allows you to avoid ever getting hit.

They don't understand that having to do that isn't a positive, though. They're just abusing the idea of trial and error in miniature for every obstacle. Again, save states and such here, if you get fatigued on a level it's very easy, from their perspective, to drop a save state and come back later.

That, and they want to feel clever. They assume you'll use save states and rewind, too, so they try to up the challenge regardless. Require levels of precision that ensure extremely minor mistakes are punished by death? Doesn't matter when you can reload immediately before the attempt, but they don't think about the idea of those players who are playing it "vanilla" or whatever and actually following the game's rules for lives and midpoints and stuff.

Basically, if your level is trying to gently caress the player over because they have access to outside emulator tools, it doesn't matter if it's clever, it should go in the bottom of the pile. Make something fun, don't make something "fun".

No I don't think this is the case. Like, think about how much ninja boy was decried for using save states and rewinds while judging. If it was so acceptable to test levels using those things why would people be mad at the judge for doing exactly that? Levels aren't typically designed with emulator tools in mind. I might have disliked Staff Invasion but I wouldn't go so far as to claim this.

I've just noticed lately that powerup scarcity seems to be a recent trend in design and I want it to stop. Being able to take a hit in a level allows for more freedom and a faster flow when playing since you can get careless. Delaying a powerup or making it really dangerous to obtain defeats the purpose of having a powerup in the first place and it kinda sucks.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

That's just a part of the wave of "creativity" taking over smw hacks recently.

Because, y'know, being one step away from kaizo sure is creative in these modern times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's more to do with the skill of the designers. They know what's coming up, they know what they placed, they know what they're expected to do. When you do this is can be easy to overlook which parts are actually difficult or just plain unfun. For examples, look at all the "guess the right path or die" and "this solid wall of enemies is easy to get through if you dash immediately, jump right HERE and didn't hesitate" levels in Mario Maker. It's people designing for perfection. When you craft something you're proud of like that, it's tempting to force others to go through it exactly the way you designed, taking no hits and DEFINITELY not using a dirty cape!

It's very, very difficult to forget the things you know, to look at what you've built through the eyes of someone just discovering it. That's why one of the key parts of design at any level is to have other people play through your stuff, and watch them without guiding.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Yeah, definitely. From what I understand though is that the whole staff invasion thing was kinda a last minute thing they added (because VLDC8 had something similar) and it didn't turn out the best balanced because of it.

Strange to me the judges didn't get people to test their stuff in private but... Eh. I'm not entirely surprised. Again, like VLDC8 there was this idea of a secrecy behind it so it kinda makes sense. I always try to get other people to play my stuff, from people I know are good at Mario to those who aren't. It's really helpful to have someone who just doesn't know what's coming.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This last level doesn't seem to be *too* bad so far, except for the filter/powerups issue, and the sheer length of the thing. Each of the mini-sections don't seem to be very long, and are all pretty straightforward, while still giving a sample of the theme, so I've got no problems with that (so far). I think the stage would be better suited to either shorten the intro part, or cut it out all together, but that's just me. Personally? I like the idea of revisiting the previous themes or levels as part of a final challenge, and as long as the rest of the level isn't too awful, I don't have too many problems with this stuff.

The bigger problem is how this messes with the filter and the powerups. Yeah, I get what they were trying to do here: it's a big final challenge to close out the game, show us what you got. But the idea of forcing you to use only small mario, forcibly filtering out any powerups you might have, and especially after clearing every single section, entirely rubs me the wrong way. The level should let you keep your powerups throughout clearing each section, and it should just let you have at least a mushroom to start out with every time you start the level up from dying. And with the filter, what is even the point of giving you those two mushrooms? The level wants to force you to have no powerups by default anyways, and it's going to take them away from you no matter what, so why even bother giving you mushrooms that won't stick around between lives? Just let players have a mushroom and keep their drat mushroom if they're skilled enough to do so.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Apologies if it's been asked before, but what are some other good SMW romhacks out there? I got an itch to play some after watching the VLDC LP.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Jade Rider posted:

Apologies if it's been asked before, but what are some other good SMW romhacks out there? I got an itch to play some after watching the VLDC LP.

Super Demo World and Second Reality Project Reloaded were the big ones from back in the day, but I haven't paid much attention to romhacks in years, so I'm curious about this too.

I see VLDC 1, 7, and 8 also have collaboration hacks. How do they compare to this one?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 6, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

where are the donkey kong hacks

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mantis42 posted:

They're all poo poo sadly. :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't imagine what hideous monstrosities would be made with pre-rendered graphics in a level editor

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
From what I hear, DKC is really not that easy to hack due to reasons. I mean for one thing, every single barrel cannon in the game is coded as a separate object.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mantis42 posted:

They're mostly Kaizo bullshit with very minimal ability to edit the actual layout of a stage, only add or change stuff in it. And the few that do exist that change stuff are bullshit hard.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Unacceptable. :colbert:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That was at the start of the level, when Megaman is running through the poo water.
No, I'm talking about the second part. I guess THAT could be the bug, but I was using the rom for the emulator I was running, so I can't really say.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mantis42 posted:

Unacceptable. :colbert:

Hold my beer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As well-made as Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is, they really like putting way too many sprites for the NES to handle at this point. It's my only gripe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Since i just now found out that it's possible to flash the SNES Classic, has anyone tried loading the VLDC onto it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Dr. Fetus posted:

I mean for one thing, every single barrel cannon in the game is coded as a separate object.

What.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Instancing is for nerds.

I assume that in practice that means that every level just contains a unique set of factors for movement, launch speed, timers, etc for every single barrel, and maybe extra code for barrels that have to do especially weird things like spin while moving on a unique path? If so, while that's inefficient, it isn't that crazy. There is an extraordinarily large number of unique barrel cannon configurations in the first two DKC games, so I'd guess that making every barrel it's own special little art piece was a development compromise over developing a small number of generic barrel behaviors and then trying to design levels around those limitations, or spending the extra time to fit everyone's special unique barrels into some kind of sensible object-oriented framework that can still address every level's needs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jade Rider posted:

Yeah, same. Haven't played many SMW hacks myself, Kaizo kinda convinced me to stay clear for a long time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Instancing is for nerds.

I assume that in practice that means that every level just contains a unique set of factors for movement, launch speed, timers, etc for every single barrel, and maybe extra code for barrels that have to do especially weird things like spin while moving on a unique path? If so, while that's inefficient, it isn't that crazy. There is an extraordinarily large number of unique barrel cannon configurations in the first two DKC games, so I'd guess that making every barrel it's own special little art piece was a development compromise over developing a small number of generic barrel behaviors and then trying to design levels around those limitations, or spending the extra time to fit everyone's special unique barrels into some kind of sensible object-oriented framework that can still address every level's needs.

I messed with the DKC2 editor for a while last year and this is basically what happens. I started trying to document how the Barrels Cannons work because in-editor documentation is almost non-existent. I don't have time to do a big writeup but I can copy my notes and the image I was starting to make as reference.

code:
20: General launch distance (appears to be bigger number = longer distance)

22: 0080 for most barrels

24: Distance from barrel before you can steer yourself (bigger number, longer distance; 0100 = can't move)

26: 0102 Used in Bonus, Warp Barrels
	Animal Barrels:
		0000 = Squitter
		0001 = Rattly
		0002 = Squawks
		0003 = Rambi
		0004 = Enguarde

28: 200 for Arrow/Blast/Launch/Steerable; 0100 for Rotatable/Diddy/Dixie?

2C: Timer/Launch Distance (XXYY Format; XX = Timer displayed on barrel, 00-05 only, only works on Rotatable/Steerable; YY = Launch velocity (the camera has trouble keeping up with numbers above 1F)

36: Camera (YYXX Format; relative barrel position: positive down/right, negative up/left; center 0000)

3A: Appears to be rotation speed for rotating barrels, bigger numbers = faster rotation. Used in Bonus Barrels, 0400 for some, 0800 for others, 0380 Rotating, 280 for #328

42: Orientation (WXYZ Format; W = Direction fired, Y = Direction barrel faces before you enter it; 0 = S, 1 = SSW, etc.) This value also dictates the graphic on the barrel (W = Y, Arrow Barrel; W != Y, Blast Barrel)

X and Z bits appear to dictate how limited rotation barrels move.

46: Type of barrel
	0000		= Rotating
	4004		= Arrow/Blast
	0005/4005	= Dixie
	0006		= Diddy
	4000/4800	= Launch
	4810		= Steerable
	1000		= Rotatable
	2004		= Bonus Barrel
	200C		= Warp Barrels
	8804		= Animal Barrel (see 26 for details)

4C: 0003 for most barrels

4E: 0040 for Arrow/Blast/Launch/Steerable; 0400 for Rotatable?

52: 000C for most barrels

Type of barrel WXYZ might be dictated by binary bits if so:
	W bit:
		0 = 
		1 = Rotatable
		2 = Teleports to other area
		4 = 
		8 = 
	X bit:
		0 =
		1 =
		2 =
		4 =
		8 = Push button to fire
	Y bit: 
		0 =
		1 = Steerable
		2 =
		4 =
		8 =
	Z bit:
		0 =
		1 = Dixie
		2 = Diddy
		4 = Automatic Launch
		8 = 
I used my notes to mess with existing barrels and see what would happen to them. While functionally no different, all the animal transformation barrels can be rotated in any of the 16 directions:

I also investigated the Invincibility Barrel just to see how the duration was handled:

DKC2 Objects/Sprites are very complex.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
what happens if you turn into an animal with a barrel and then jump on a crate?
is the game about to process animals riding animals or does it crash or what.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

XavierGenisi posted:

And with the filter, what is even the point of giving you those two mushrooms?

I think you understood the on-the-face point of this, but since it took me awhile to figure out: giving you two mushrooms means that whatever's in your hold box (up at the top of the screen) gets overwritten by a mushroom, that then gets dropped automatically when you get hurt, so when you emerge from the pipe, you're guaranteed to be small Mario with nothing in the hold box.

And yeah, it's dumb.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think you understood the on-the-face point of this, but since it took me awhile to figure out: giving you two mushrooms means that whatever's in your hold box (up at the top of the screen) gets overwritten by a mushroom, that then gets dropped automatically when you get hurt, so when you emerge from the pipe, you're guaranteed to be small Mario with nothing in the hold box.

And yeah, it's dumb.

Yeah, you got it. If these sections were giving you anything more than the basic mushroom, then maybe I could see the filter having an actual use, but no. It's just enforcing difficulty in a really stupid way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Not to mention it means that even if you use a safety mushroom and get through a segment without getting hit, you'll lose the safety mushroom permanently because there's no way to keep it between segments. What a good filter.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

what happens if you turn into an animal with a barrel and then jump on a crate?
is the game about to process animals riding animals or does it crash or what.

I'm pretty sure I've done this with rambi in the base game, and a 1up pops out of the crate. Scratch that, I know I've done this with either winky or squitter to farm lives from a repeatably enterable area in a cave level.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

FPzero posted:

Not to mention it means that even if you use a safety mushroom and get through a segment without getting hit, you'll lose the safety mushroom permanently because there's no way to keep it between segments. What a good filter.

I don't know, it looks like they have the system to be set up similar to how it is when you go between the levels and the map in this hack. Then if something is giving you trouble and you're tired of trying to get through it without help you just hit a box for a mushroom.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cheez posted:

I don't know, it looks like they have the system to be set up similar to how it is when you go between the levels and the map in this hack. Then if something is giving you trouble and you're tired of trying to get through it without help you just hit a box for a mushroom.

Then they didn't do a good enough job of informing the player of that. Players would read "You have two mushrooms to use for all of these levels" and a reasonable takeaway is that they would keep the mushroom they used until they lost it, and have a second. This leads to the player using the mushrooms up unwisely because the mechanics weren't properly explained, and either restarting the level entirely or doing the parts over and over until they get it right.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cheez posted:

Yeah in theory it's a decent idea to have everything be fairly beatable without a powerup and offer extra mushrooms as a bonus if need be. The problem as mentioned was that the message wasn't communicated well. It might have been because I was really tired by that point but I interpreted it as "you only get two mushrooms from here every time you die", not the use them and lose them principle that's actually in place.

Also more generally, I kinda feel bad about this level because over half of the segments are actually fine and I really have no problem with them. But when taken as a whole at a time when we weren't expecting a mega-long level and we were both very tired because we thought the judge world would take about 45 minutes at most, our tempers had soured and even minor annoyances were projected pretty harshly. It's not a terrible quality level overall but the length of what's being asked of the player mixed with the context of when and how we played explains so much of our opinions.

I wish we'd played it under different circumstances just so the opinions might have been a little better (as well as our commentary) but that's how it goes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FPzero posted:

Yeah in theory it's a decent idea to have everything be fairly beatable without a powerup and offer extra mushrooms as a bonus if need be. The problem as mentioned was that the message wasn't communicated well. It might have been because I was really tired by that point but I interpreted it as "you only get two mushrooms from here every time you die", not the use them and lose them principle that's actually in place.
Nah, it's not just you two being tired. That actually was very poorly communicated to the player, especially since it was counter to what the game had been doing up until then. Also, while it's good game design to make sure your level is beatable without any power-ups or abilities the player might not have by that point, it's bad design to force you to take hits or expend limited-use powers or abilities, even (or perhaps especially) if you want to make sure that the "true challenge" of your level is preserved. The mushroom thing is poorly communicated and bad level design no matter how awake you are when you play it.

FPzero posted:

Also more generally, I kinda feel bad about this level because over half of the segments are actually fine and I really have no problem with them. But when taken as a whole at a time when we weren't expecting a mega-long level and we were both very tired because we thought the judge world would take about 45 minutes at most, our tempers had soured and even minor annoyances were projected pretty harshly. It's not a terrible quality level overall but the length of what's being asked of the player mixed with the context of when and how we played explains so much of our opinions.

I wish we'd played it under different circumstances just so the opinions might have been a little better (as well as our commentary) but that's how it goes.
Yeah, I kind of got the feeling you both wanted it to just be over at that point, and the hack's refusal to cooperate on that point definitely seems to have affected your opinions. It might have been better if you had played Staff Invasion as a separate recording session, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I streamed a little bit to some SMWC folks and the opinion on save states there is actually pretty sour, lol.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's 3:30 AM, do you know where your kids are? They're finishing VLDC9 that's where they are. And what do we get for spending an hour on the final final final level? Some semi-Kaizo junk and an ending that didn't satisfy.

But we still finished the game and overall I had a lot of fun doing it. I think most of the people watching have too. Hopefully you learned some things about SMW romhacking along the way and maybe a little bit about level design Do's and Do Not's.

Thanks for watching.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Thanks, it was fun to see what people can do with Mario world and learn about all of the weird tricks people have found

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
There is no way I would have made it through VLDC9, and even less chance I would have gotten to the developer levels for that Waluigi level. Thanks for showing it off!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I don't claim to know anything about the inner workings of Super Mario World, but that last Koopa in the Ice gauntlet was walking after you knocked his wings off, right? Couldn't you have just walked instead of worrying about timing the jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So I don't claim to know anything about the inner workings of Super Mario World, but that last Koopa in the Ice gauntlet was walking after you knocked his wings off, right? Couldn't you have just walked instead of worrying about timing the jump?

It was on a tile that enemies and objects can stand on but isn't solid to Mario.

• Locked thread