Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I loving love Faith and will spend the rest of my life looking for an opening to say "What I am about to do has not been approved by the Vatican"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I the only one who likes to turn the brightness up in a lot of games? I tried moving the brightness in Get Even to the recommended setting so you couldn't see the left symbol and could barely see the middle one, but it became really hard to see where a lot of stuff was as a result - the collectibles glow, but with the screen as dark as it was most of it was obscured by the light in my living room playing off the TV making it almost a uniform black at times. Turning up the brightness may have blown out a few shadows but it at least was more comfortable to play so I guess I'll try to find a decent middle ground.

I most titles I have it higher than the "Make sure the image on the left is barely visible" test; I usually set it to recommended and come to find that flashlight/torch or whatever I use to see isn't sufficient and crank it up.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Black Mirror video games? Because the upcoming Remake(?) has me interested.

Are you a point-and-click-adventure game stan? Trust me, you know if you are. If so - you'll like Black Mirror.

If not, you'll absolutely loving hate it.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I the only one who likes to turn the brightness up in a lot of games? I tried moving the brightness in Get Even to the recommended setting so you couldn't see the left symbol and could barely see the middle one, but it became really hard to see where a lot of stuff was as a result - the collectibles glow, but with the screen as dark as it was most of it was obscured by the light in my living room playing off the TV making it almost a uniform black at times. Turning up the brightness may have blown out a few shadows but it at least was more comfortable to play so I guess I'll try to find a decent middle ground.

I've taken to doing it for most modern games. Little Nightmares was so drat dark it got me killed a few times.

Blockhouse posted:

I loving love Faith and will spend the rest of my life looking for an opening to say "What I am about to do has not been approved by the Vatican"

With the same intonation, right?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont think that remothered game is very good

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

the black husserl posted:

Are you a point-and-click-adventure game stan?

:confused:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I know alot of people here have recommended HarshlyCritical/John Wolfe's channel. Personally though I'm actually more down with one of his friends' channels, Mr. Kravin. He's actually far more genuine than John's stuff and I appreciate that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I've taken to doing it for most modern games. Little Nightmares was so drat dark it got me killed a few times.

With the same intonation, right?

Yeah, the Speak and Spell Satanism is a big part of what made FAITH any good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

I know alot of people here have recommended HarshlyCritical/John Wolfe's channel. Personally though I'm actually more down with one of his friends' channels, Mr. Kravin. He's actually far more genuine than John's stuff and I appreciate that.

John is noticeable tired of horror but it pays the bills and YouTube is out to gently caress you if you underperform.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

John is noticeable tired of horror but it pays the bills and YouTube is out to gently caress you if you underperform.

Maybe YouTube shouldn't be the only thing to depend on for income, given how YouTube's monetization policies constantly shift.

It's kind of sucky when the games you hear about just come down to market forces, whether it's a paid journalist or a paid youtuber.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Maybe YouTube shouldn't be the only thing to depend on for income, given how YouTube's monetization policies constantly shift.

It's kind of sucky when the games you hear about just come down to market forces, whether it's a paid journalist or a paid youtuber.

Rock Paper Shotgun has great horror games coverage and will never accept money for editorial. You can hear about games there, instead of from the Screaming Youtube Man.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
did anyone else play the remothered game

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Capitalism was the true horror all along.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

the black husserl posted:

You can hear about games there, instead of from the Screaming Youtube Man.

Except he doesn't scream and often gives good impressions of games?

It's just real obvious that they're worn out on indie trash horror sometimes, but they keep plumbing the depths so other people don't have to. :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

you're right, but one of these things is not like the other. one provides actual benefit for society. i am not jealous or anything but it really seemed to me before the adpocalypse that many youtubers were being overpaid for their work

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Relin posted:

you're right, but one of these things is not like the other. one provides actual benefit for society. i am not jealous or anything but it really seemed to me before the adpocalypse that many youtubers were being overpaid for their work

source your quotes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You're sorely mistaken if you thought anybody except the tippy top of streamers like pewdiepie were making anything above chump change even before youtube demonetization.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i don't think that it's a very controversial statement

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Relin posted:

i don't think that it's a very controversial statement

It's an incorrect one. Very few youtubers were making even minimum wage

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tired Moritz posted:

did anyone else play the remothered game

I bought it but haven't played it yet, I'll give it a whirl tonight and give a trip report.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

From what I've seen Remothered is still what I thought it would be, it has a real stupid sounding name but the game seems pretty cool, it's a Clock Tower game with the serial numbers filed off.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Hopefully it manages to work out better than Nightcry (though I honestly need to go back and play past the first act of that).

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
It's definitely better than Nightcry, but chewing rusty nails is better than Nightcry.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nightcry is good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Exactly what I wanted to see. New clock tower.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, maybe my opinion was just marred by people like supergreatfriend and Kamoc as they generally loathed the game. But at least for the first act, it did feel like the original Clock Tower...just with the shortcomings of that game as well and it's hard to go from the level of refinement in game play that was Haunting Ground to going back to just the original Clock Tower's game play and mindset. Who knows though; if there's one thing I've learned recently from playing Alone in the Dark 2008, it's that maybe sometimes people's critiques are not always that accurate (cause AiTD 2008 isn't really that bad).

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I unironically enjoyed Nightcry, but you have to be expecting another clock tower with all the jank and cheese that entails.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IIRC, the head of the first two clock towers (aka the good ones, though clock tower 2 PS1 is "interesting" in its own ways and clock tower 3 is just...just special) was big into Giallo horror, taking a lot of inspiration from that genre, especially the 80s Giallo film Phenomena by Dario Argento. Giallo films are generally seen as a sorta predecessor to typical slasher films, a bit pulpy, emphasis on thriller, slasher, and the mystery of who the killer even is. Nightcry is more or less exactly what I was expecting it to be and I understand if people wanted something a little more uhh...modern, I was fine with it because it was a Giallo fan making a game inspired by those types of films. It was more or less exactly the kind of game I was expecting it to be. Cheesy, weird, mysterious, silly, dumb, thrilling, bloody, slashery, Giallo. :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wish someone would do a new Haunting Ground. That game felt like what happens when someone took an honest look at Clock Tower 3 and went "Okay this, this and this was hideous, let's not do that"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I wish someone would do a new Haunting Ground. That game felt like what happens when someone took an honest look at Clock Tower 3 and went "Okay this, this and this was hideous, let's not do that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4lU3DHZr_4

So you want a game of just this then ya?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, maybe my opinion was just marred by people like supergreatfriend and Kamoc as they generally loathed the game. But at least for the first act, it did feel like the original Clock Tower...just with the shortcomings of that game as well and it's hard to go from the level of refinement in game play that was Haunting Ground to going back to just the original Clock Tower's game play and mindset. Who knows though; if there's one thing I've learned recently from playing Alone in the Dark 2008, it's that maybe sometimes people's critiques are not always that accurate (cause AiTD 2008 isn't really that bad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCoCdIMIcI

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
All I know is the goon LP of the ps2 clock tower is one of my favorite text/picture LPs ever.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It just different strokes for different folks. It's a janky game that tries to do too much and has bad dialogue, but it was still functionally there. I mean, it's not something like Escape from Bug Island which has absolutely no redeeming value, right? Cause man, Escape from Bug Island is super bad.

And speaking of squandered possibilities on Wii horror, why couldn't Cursed Mountain have been a better game? I mean it has a unique and atmospheric setting, with a storyline influenced by Tibetan folklore...and yet it just falls so flat and forces in a bunch of motion control repetition.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, it had some skeevy aspects relating to the Azoth thing, but it also had Daniella, after spending the entire first chunk of the game in an eerie calm, doing this: https://youtu.be/Nkhy16_zsAQ?t=178

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Remothered trip report: it's fun but a little too simplistic.

I've put in 2 hours so far and the game begins with you, not-Jodie Foster, investigating some old dude named Dr. Felton about a little girl that disappeared. You arrived at his house and his nurse takes you inside and you have a heated confrontation with Felton and tells you to leave his house. This confrontation is horribly written and super loving confusing because you don't know what either character is talking about the whole time, the delivery is also really poor making it worse. Whatever. Not-Jodie Foster waits until night falls and watches the nurse leave for the day and sneaks back in. You come to find the mansion is barely lit and Felton is roaming the halls in wellies and an apron while wielding a sickle. This is where the gameplay really begins, it feels like a dumbed down Alien: Isolation meets a more logical Resident Evil 1, you sneak from room to room as Felton randomly wanders the house and you figure out where to go and what to do. Felton is like the Alien, except not really daunting and getting seen by him isn't the end of the world because he runs around like a geriatric with a bad hip and outrunning him is easy. You can also hide under couches and in closets to break the hunt. If he ends up in front of the couch or the closet you're in you get a small mini-game where you have to keep a small circle within another one via the mouse, but the inner circle randomly fights in different directions to try and get you to gently caress up. You can also carry defense weapons and distraction items in case Felton catches you, you have the option of stabbing him a la REmake. I have no clue how to use the distraction items at all, and I don't think the game told me how to.

The Resident Evil 1 aspect is that you're in a mansion with a nonsensical layout with a bunch of random doors and most end up being locked, a lot of the solutions to puzzles are daft (I found a key item in the base of a Grandfather clock, after finding the clock key to wind it... which apparently opens the bottom of the clock). You also have the murky bathtub with a key item in it but you have to drain the tub first to get it, though unlike RE you can't do this by hand. So far though, it doesn't go full RE with stupid jewels or statues of animals that have to be oriented in a certain way in order to reveal a hidden door, it seems like it tries to keep itself more grounded in reality than that. Who knows how far into the deep-end it goes though.

I'm enjoying it but it's nothing too special, I also don't know what "Early Access" means in this case. The game could use some polish in it's animations (they're pretty rough), but I don't know if the game will just stop and say "To be Continued" at some point like EA Layers of Fear did. I don't have a grasp of how far I am into the game, because right off the bat 90% of what I've explored has pretty much been unlocked from the get-go. I've retreaded a lot of the same ground over and over. At $13 it doesn't break the bank, but I hope the game changes things up soon because I'm kinda bored of the mansion already. Though the story did take a interesting turn and I want to see more of that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

discworld is all I read posted:

It just different strokes for different folks. It's a janky game that tries to do too much and has bad dialogue, but it was still functionally there. I mean, it's not something like Escape from Bug Island which has absolutely no redeeming value, right? Cause man, Escape from Bug Island is super bad.

And speaking of squandered possibilities on Wii horror, why couldn't Cursed Mountain have been a better game? I mean it has a unique and atmospheric setting, with a storyline influenced by Tibetan folklore...and yet it just falls so flat and forces in a bunch of motion control repetition.

Alone in the Dark 2008 isn't bad as long as you didn't pay $60 on release. Yes, it is functional, but is that really a bullet point you want to see on the box or Steam description? I'm speaking hypothetically. I enjoyed it but I also got the "fixed" version on PS3 and at a deep discount years after release. Also :agreed: on Cursed Mountain. There needs to be a remastering or reimagining of it. That was a unique setting but the gameplay was boring.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Re Remothered: And just like Alien Isolation, the main antagonist is also not wearing pants.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

this corn field bit with the copters overhead in observer sure does suck poo poo

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Have you been Mothered again yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Remothered trip report: it's fun but a little too simplistic.

I also don't know what "Early Access" means in this case. The game could use some polish in it's animations (they're pretty rough), but I don't know if the game will just stop and say "To be Continued" at some point like EA Layers of Fear did.

Yeah it just ends after a major sequence that I assume would open up a new section to play around in.

Based on where it ends and what I saw in the videos, I assume (end-of-early-access spoilers)you'll be wandering around in the sewer, probably getting chased by something because duh, then probably find the elevator that you could see in the main mansion area that never got used and probably use the elevator to get back to there before going back through the hidden crawlspace you initially fell through the floor into the sewers from to begin with. This is all assumption, mind you,
for all I know they could decide to just add in 3 new mansions and a flashback sequence or whatever.

I've no idea what's going on with the plot of Remothered though. Like, there's...there's stuff that happens in the game and it is all tied together because they use the same words and stuff but I have zero clue what any of it means.