Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thanks guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should be concentrating on as a blue belt? I have been playing a lot of half guard deep half stuff as of late (this morning was the electric chair sweep), but just kind of wondering what I should be doing as a blue belt or any recommendations from previous blue belts on what I should avoid.

wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

any recommendations from previous blue belts on what I should avoid.

I've been a blue belt since 2011 so I can give you a huge list of what not to do if you'd like

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've been a blue belt since 2011 so I can give you a huge list of what not to do if you'd like

Get a lot stronger so you start using less moves against people your size or smaller, and depend on your new strength. Then watch as you start to suck against anyone bigger than you. Also don’t do cardio, strong people don’t need cardio.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Im in class an average of 5 times a week. So that one we can take off the list :D

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Work on the parts of your game that suck

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Work on the parts of your game that suck

Thanks Jay

Basically Im all over the place...

Just off the top of my head: Things I am good at:
Grips and grip fighting
Half guard and Deep half sweeps (love the electric chair sweep)
Kimuras from all over but especially from North South
Sleeve chokes
Ankle locks
Cross collar chokes
Stacked passing (double under, stacked staple)

Things I am horrible at:
Arm bars from Guard
Finishing triangles
Keeping people from passing guard
Escaping side control
over under pass (a total mess and I get triangle danger a lot from there)

In many ways I still feel like a white belt.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Things I am horrible at:
Keeping people from passing guard
Escaping side control

these are the ones to work on

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Different art, but usually passing a promotion exam is an opportunity to re-visit your basics.
When I'm working towards an exam or tournament, I'll usually (re)discover several issues that I need to work, that requires 're-tooling', a process that is often too long (and distracting) to implement when you are working towards a shorter term goal.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

these are the ones to work on

I have a tendency to let them pass because my half guard game is somewhat decent. I need to work on that :(

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

over under pass (a total mess and I get triangle danger a lot from there)

Lots of half and deep half sweeps lead here, and this is something you could get good at in a couple of sessions.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Got my Blue Belt.

Great work!

As a newer blue belt I have been working on my non-existent standup. Been to 3 judo seminars and a few stand up specific jiu jitsu classes, so IDK, maybe something like that. The few tournaments I have been in, I have been lost at the standup game.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I have a tendency to let them pass because my half guard game is somewhat decent. I need to work on that :(

I agree with the others. Work on guard retention and side control escape. Maybe work on transitions and maintaining dominant positions as well and focus less on trying to finish.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYl1kL9_jQ

I don't usually post bad videos because glass houses and all that, but :thunk:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

The best part is the implication that Vasyl Lomachenko doesn't know how to punch properly.

Don't want to hit him on the ear? What the gently caress?

This argument about "we need to protect our hands because this is self defence and not sport" is dumb no matter how it's phrased.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 22, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Siivola posted:

They're reinventing boxing. Stance is slightly different but the parries are straight from boxing. The "line of power" crap is an explanation you give to newbies so that they don't throw arm punches, not some rediscovered technique from the 1870s.

Train your footwork so that you never cross your legs like this:

e: also the reason we throw punches with thumbs down is because it naturally raises the shoulder to protect the chin which is important regardless of gloves/bareknuckle

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Real interesting stuff from the fat nerds who are trying to learn how to fight from old comic books.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My only interactions with historical nerds crossing over into the world of the ol' rough in tumble was when one of friends got married and part of the bachelor party was going to see this big muckity muck in ARMA to learn some steel fighting stuff. He found out from one of the guys I had been doing grappling for some time from the rest of the bachelor party. So he started telling us about this medieval grappling system and used me as a demonstration dummy to demonstrate a mount escape. So I was gonna be a good dummy and let him do what ever. So I go to a low mount with my arms extended to either side and wait for instruction. He says something to the tune of "Try to keep me in mount and I'll try to escape"

The dude literally bites my right arm and tries to roll me, which fails because I'm a heavy dude and he didn't really compromise my base in biting me, so I abandon mount and go to knee on belly thinking I'm gonna turn this guy into a raccoon for biting me, and he then said :smug:"Heh looks like I'm out of mount." and the rest of the party applauded.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 22, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Did you switch to knee on clavicle after that?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KildarX posted:

My only interactions with historical nerds crossing over into the world of the ol' rough in tumble was when one of friends got married and part of the bachelor party was going to see this big muckity muck in ARMA to learn some steel fighting stuff. He found out from one of the guys I had been doing grappling for some time from the rest of the bachelor party. So he started telling us about this medieval grappling system and used me as a demonstration dummy to demonstrate a mount escape. So I was gonna be a good dummy and let him do what ever. So I go to a low mount with my arms extended to either side and wait for instruction. He says something to the tune of "Try to keep me in mount and I'll try to escape"

The dude literally bites my right arm and tries to roll me, which fails because I'm a heavy dude and he didn't really compromise my base in biting me, so I abandon mount and go to knee on belly thinking I'm gonna turn this guy into a raccoon for biting me, and he then said :smug:"Heh looks like I'm out of mount." and the rest of the party applauded.

heh

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mewse posted:

They're reinventing boxing. Stance is slightly different but the parries are straight from boxing. The "line of power" crap is an explanation you give to newbies so that they don't throw arm punches, not some rediscovered technique from the 1870s.

Train your footwork so that you never cross your legs like this:

e: also the reason we throw punches with thumbs down is because it naturally raises the shoulder to protect the chin which is important regardless of gloves/bareknuckle

The one thing I'll give them credit for bringing up is that you very quickly develop more power than what your hands can naturally handle.
But instead of acknowledging the utility of training methods that let you develop even more power, they just do mediocre sparring with MMA gloves, I guess.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

Did you switch to knee on clavicle after that?

Nah, I got up off of him and decided the dude was a tool bag that probably thought he knew how to grapple from reading some weird medieval manual or whatever and I wasn't gonna spoil the bachelor party to prove it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Novum posted:

Real interesting stuff from the fat nerds who are trying to learn how to fight from old comic books.

hema.txt

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I agree with the others. Work on guard retention and side control escape. Maybe work on transitions and maintaining dominant positions as well and focus less on trying to finish.

I totally agree. My guard sucks. I did run across this gem on Youtube which does drop some good info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsUcLkN-xpA

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KildarX posted:

I wasn't gonna spoil the bachelor party to prove it.

You missed out man.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Journalist recalls getting drunkenly groped, and recounts a successful self-defense:
https://medium.com/@quinnnorton/robert-scoble-and-me-9b14ee92fffb

Quinn Norton posted:

And then, without any more warning, Scoble was on me. I felt one hand on my breast and his arm reaching around and grabbing my butt. Scoble is considerably bigger than I am, and I realized quickly I wasn’t going to be able to push him away. Meanwhile, the people around just watched, in what I can only imagine was stunned shock. I got a hand free and used a palm strike to the base of his chin to knock him back. It worked, he flew back and struggled to get his feet under him. I watched his feet carefully for that moment. He was unbalanced from the alcohol and I realized if he reached for me again I could pull him forward, bounce his face off my knee, then drive it into the ground. (I knew this move because it had been done to me, then the martial arts expert who did it picked me up and apologetically showed me how to do it.) He laughed and rubbed his chin and said something like “I like this one, she has spirit.” I said this: “If you touch me again I will break your nose.” I could still feel his hands on me, his intentions, all of it. He laughed again, and I repeated, “If you touch me again I will break your nose.” He didn’t grab me again after that.

I guess the two takeaways are that you really have to be willing to fight under those terrifying conditions, and that those moves will work against an attacker who's not coordinated and gives up fairly easily.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The martial arts expert kneed her in the face and then smashed her head into the ground for no reason, then gave her a 30 second instructional?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

Journalist recalls getting drunkenly groped, and recounts a successful self-defense:
https://medium.com/@quinnnorton/robert-scoble-and-me-9b14ee92fffb

I guess the two takeaways are that you really have to be willing to fight under those terrifying conditions, and that those moves will work against an attacker who's not coordinated and gives up fairly easily.

I think a lot of it has to do with breaking the social boundaries of "causing a scene".

I know when my fight or flight kicked in back in day one of my main worries was "Oh gosh everyone's looking I'm part of a dramatic event" as a guy is going to punch me, and I wanted the conflict over asap and hoped people didn't think badly of me.

If a girl just shuts up and takes being groped, no drama, no scene, it'll be all over and no one will be disrupted. Having the confidence to speak out, let alone throw a punch, is a big big part of it. I'm fairly sure if a grown man is groping some woman in plane sight half his size gets punched on the nose he's going to stop and not be like "I didn't touch you", he's going to play it off as a joke. I'm just a bit gutted she didn't do more damage and hope if women do punch back in future they connect hard.

Edit: and the people around them are not cowardly and support her during the fall out.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41859186 - 14 year olds are murdering people with acide, over stealing a £1k moped. The police are doing very little. How does one defend against acid?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Throw bleach at them and hopefully they'll collide and form water and a salt?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Considering he's been arrested you could just go on living your life unless you've got an instructor that can teach you moped-fu happy-slapping-fu.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

KildarX posted:

Nah, I got up off of him and decided the dude was a tool bag that probably thought he knew how to grapple from reading some weird medieval manual or whatever and I wasn't gonna spoil the bachelor party to prove it.

In some ways you would have ruined it, in others you would have made it amazing

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Considering he's been arrested you could just go on living your life unless you've got an instructor that can teach you moped-fu happy-slapping-fu.

It's not a single incident. We all must be wary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38294358

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You need to purchase armor of acid resistance at the wizard vendor

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

It's not a single incident. We all must be wary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38294358

Ban mopeds, done!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

mewse posted:

Ban mopeds, done!

New policies are being discussed, at the moment police won't pursue criminals on mopeds without helmets because if they crash they will die. They mug/knife/acid people, and if they get in a chase they take their helmet off and the police stop chasing them. Vigilantism is the only thing left. Keep your phones tight because they are grabbing at them as they go past. I'm thinking of doing some bait work and grabbing back as they pass.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Good thinking

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yesssssss Willie will become The Punisher.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Willie Dee is gonna get a face full of acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

Yesssssss Willie will become The Punisher.

I like this line of thinking but I need a more original nickname, if I'm going to do this I want to be taken seriously and not steal a comic book hero's name.

At the same time they've stolen all the good names.