Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

joining this "sounds like you might die" group is the best thing i ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Softface posted:

joining this "sounds like you might die" group is the best thing i ever did.

Reply with "have you tried LSD?".

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
"I'm permabanned user hondarider-"

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Besesoth posted:

Reply with "have you tried LSD?".

I did, no one's gotten back to me :(

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeeeeeeesh

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mister Mind posted:

Now do, "The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling."

IM DELETING YOU, ELLIOT RODGER!😭👋 ██]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 10% complete..... ████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 35% complete.... ███████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 60% complete.... ███████████] 99% complete..... 🚫ERROR!🚫 💯True💯 supreme gentlemen are irreplaceable 💖I could never delete you Elliot Rodger!💖 Send this to ten other 🎩supreme gentlemen🎩 who give you 💦cummies💦 Or never get called 💯supreme💯 again❌❌😬😬❌❌ If you get 0 Back: no girlfriends for you 🚫🚫👿 3 back: you're supreme💯💦 5 back: you're Elliot Rodger's murder victim😵👼💦 10+ back: the supreme gentleman😛😛💕💕💦👅👅

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In no way are those 35 or 60%. Someone can't count. :colbert:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

IM DELETING YOU, ELLIOT RODGER!😭👋 ██]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 10% complete..... ████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 35% complete.... ███████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 60% complete.... ███████████] 99% complete..... 🚫ERROR!🚫 💯True💯 supreme gentlemen are irreplaceable 💖I could never delete you Elliot Rodger!💖 Send this to ten other 🎩supreme gentlemen🎩 who give you 💦cummies💦 Or never get called 💯supreme💯 again❌❌😬😬❌❌ If you get 0 Back: no girlfriends for you 🚫🚫👿 3 back: you're supreme💯💦 5 back: you're Elliot Rodger's murder victim😵👼💦 10+ back: the supreme gentleman😛😛💕💕💦👅👅

this is incredible you're incredible

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

And you can just feel all the fedoras sage nodding at this.

They see a simple message like "don't hit women" and their brains go at it like it's some puzzle and the solution is to find a way to hit women and out comes the "well actually"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ravenfood posted:

For small numbers, its really not, but the method you describe as "common core" is a lot easier to scale up to larger numbers and a lot of people do it anyway without realizing. You can apply it to multiplication too, which I think is the draw. Adding (9x2) to something can be really quickly done by adding 10x2 and then subtracting 2, for instance. I found it a lot easier to do mental math when I started going to nearest tens/hundreds/whatever and working out the differences instead of just memorizing my multiplication tables. That's when math clicked for me in 3rd grade. And its not like they can't just use memorization tables either, its a different way of teaching things that might work better for some students, like me. But one thing I liked is that, especially for multiplication, once I'd left my memorized grid, it was a lot easier to multiply whatever to the nearest 5 or 10 and then subtract the difference, so 8x232 (or whatever) becomes [(10x232)-(2x232)]. If you teach young kids to be comfortable manipulating numbers instead of just memorizing their grid, maybe they'll understand math a little better instead of treating it like some weird black box.

How do you mentally calculate tips? I'll bet you do 10%, then halve that and add it to the original value instead of immediately multiplying your bill by 0.15. I think the principle is, I think, the same, but applied to addition instead.

This just blew my loving mind, and I am 24

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

This just blew my loving mind, and I am 24

Same but 27

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bobby Digital posted:

Like with that 8x232 example, I’ll show them how you could do it as 8x200 + 8x30 + 8x2, all of which are extremely doable mentally, and they’re just :aaaaa:
Except then you've got to remember the three answers and add them together. If you do it the other way around you can just do it all at once.

8x2 is 16, carry the one. 8x3+1 is 25, carry the two. 8x2+2 is 18, so the answer is 1856.

Who What Now posted:

Try doing 45,687-39,898 on paper and watch as it turns into seven or eight steps of "borrowing" and poo poo like that.
It's one step. Or 5 if you count each digit as a separate step, I guess.

7-8 is 9, carry the one. 8-9-1 is 8, carry the one. 6-8-1 is 7, carry the one. 5-9-1 is 5, carry the one. 4-3-1 is 0. Answer is 5789. If you're doing it on paper you just write the final number down in reverse as you go.

Bobby Digital posted:

45,687-39,898
45,789 - 40,000
You first have to waste time working out 40,000-39,898 and 45,687+102 though.

Dejawesp posted:

And you can just feel all the fedoras sage nodding at this.

They see a simple message like "don't hit women" and their brains go at it like it's some puzzle and the solution is to find a way to hit women and out comes the "well actually"
And the obvious answer is "Also don't hit men. Don't hit anyone. Didn't your parents teach you this when you were two years old?"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I am 100% going to punch a woman if she tries to gut me like a fish, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

Except then you've got to remember the three answers and add them together. If you do it the other way around you can just do it all at once.

8x2 is 16, carry the one. 8x3+1 is 25, carry the two. 8x2+2 is 18, so the answer is 1856.

It's one step. Or 5 if you count each digit as a separate step, I guess.

7-8 is 9, carry the one. 8-9-1 is 8, carry the one. 6-8-1 is 7, carry the one. 5-9-1 is 5, carry the one. 4-3-1 is 0. Answer is 5789. If you're doing it on paper you just write the final number down in reverse as you go.

You first have to waste time working out 40,000-39,898 and 45,687+102 though.

Right, that way works too. But it isn't the only way that works, or inherently a better or more correct way. Is there any problem with presenting a variety of problem solving skills, and letting kids keep the ones that work best for them?

Think about all the people you've known who thought themselves 'bad at math'. They were bad at math so they hated math and they stopped taking math classes as soon as they could. That's gotta be at least half the population, right?

What if the problem isn't that most people are innately bad at math, but the way that math has been taught?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Hey, smart math guys, I have a question:

Imagine multiple sets of multiple buttons. Mark the sets A, B, C, and so on. Mark the buttons with the set they're in, plus a number, so A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, and so on.
You can press the button marked "1" in any order, but for buttons with number higher than 1, you have to have pressed all buttons of lower numbers. So you can only press A3 if you have pressed A1 and A2.
You can choose which set to press any order you like, so you can press the B buttons first, then the D buttons, then the A buttons, as long as it follows the above rule. So if you have pressed A2 and D3, you can press D4, then B1, A3, B2, C1 and so on.
You can't repress a button.

How many different ways can you press 5 sets of 3 buttons?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Volcott posted:

I am 100% going to punch a woman if she tries to gut me like a fish, though.

It's really the ads fault for not adding that in parenthesis at the bottom.

"It's never okay to hit women unless it's in self defense. At which point knock her out" Okay the commissioned ad against spousal abuse is done... What do you mean you're not going to pay me?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Yeah 1600, 240, and 16 are pretty difficult.

Do it however you want, the point is that there are multiple approaches that make sense, and if you learn basic ideas with simple numbers, you’ll be able to tackle harder ones.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Chances are guys who gleefully want to use feminism as a get out of jail card to beat up women don't actually see women as people occupying the same level as men.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Hey, smart math guys, I have a question:

Imagine multiple sets of multiple buttons. Mark the sets A, B, C, and so on. Mark the buttons with the set they're in, plus a number, so A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, and so on.
You can press the button marked "1" in any order, but for buttons with number higher than 1, you have to have pressed all buttons of lower numbers. So you can only press A3 if you have pressed A1 and A2.
You can choose which set to press any order you like, so you can press the B buttons first, then the D buttons, then the A buttons, as long as it follows the above rule. So if you have pressed A2 and D3, you can press D4, then B1, A3, B2, C1 and so on.
You can't repress a button.

How many different ways can you press 5 sets of 3 buttons?

First button: 5 options (A1, B1, C1, D1, E1)
Second: 5 options (A2, B1-E1)
Third: 5 options (A3, B1-E1)

Fourth: 4 options (B1-E1)
Fifth: 4 options (B2, C1-E1)
Sixth: 4 options (B3, C1-E1)

Seventh: 3 options (C1-E1)
Eighth: 3 options (C2, D1, E1)
Ninth: 3 options (C3, D1, E1)

Tenth: 2 options (D1 and E1)
Eleventh: 2 options (D2 and E1)
Twelfth: 2 options (D3 and E1)

Thirteenth: 1 option (E1)
Fourteenth: 1 option (E2)
Fifteenth: 1 option (E3)

Multiply the number of options for each button together, and there’s your answer.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

let me say right now that it's impossible to convince nerds on the internet to notice that a set of rules is hard to learn. there will always be the one guy who's like "it's totally easy, it's just this and this and this, anyone could get that"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Chances are guys who gleefully want to use feminism as a get out of jail card to beat up women don't actually see women as people occupying the same level as men.

Luckily most of their interactions with with women are probably minimal.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Picnic Princess posted:

I love how the leap of logic is "hit women the same as men" as opposed to maybe "don't hit anyone"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What if you hit a spergling who's sperging out about maths? Would that be schadenfreude? What if they were standing on a treadmill?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Bobby Digital posted:

Multiply the number of options for each button together, and there’s your answer.

This is the result if you exhaust the sets first, which would be (5!)^3. If you instead chose to exhaust the 1s first, then the 2s, then the 3s, what you'll have is (5!) * (5^10), which is a vastly larger number than (5!)^3.

Weatherman posted:

What if you hit a spergling who's sperging out about maths? Would that be schadenfreude? What if they were standing on a treadmill?
Does the math sperg think the pineapple is a pizza topping?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

All this math chat is killing me. I almost failed out of high school because I can't do algebra. My brain refuses to understand it. I don't know what the deal is but no amount of tutors and private lessons could get me through basic algebra 1. I can't do most math in my head which is funny because I run a business and I'm great at business math. That's actually what saved me from dropping out of school. I took a semester of business math and a semester of geometry to get the credits I needed to graduate. It's shameful but I can't even do long division without a calculator. I can't multiply past 1 digit numbers without a calculator. Example: 22X57...couldn't even guess at what that might be without a calculator. I excelled at every other subject but my brain outright rejects math. It sucks in a way because I always wanted to be an engineer or an architect but there's too much math involved. I like the business I'm in now but I feel like I missed out by not knowing math.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Hello friends, mathematician here. Most people here have brought up the important things about common core. But I feel like it is really important to drive this home; if you think Common Core is unnecessarily complex your mathematics teachers have failed you. Common Core does something very important in that it emphasizes conceptualization and active participation with mathematical concepts. By forcing students to engage with quantity and number as something to be understood using abstraction and problem solving techniques as opposed to magic rule box that spits numbers out at you when you do things right.

When I teach pre-calculus and calculus, half of my goddamn job is undoing the damage people's K-12 teachers did to them. The number of people in a freshman calculus class who cannot add fractions is absoluely horrifying. Common Core is an extremely important step in the right direction, where elementary school teachers have finally begun teaching kids to grapple with the underlying concepts in arithmetic so they are ready for algebra and beyond as opposed to thinking adding and subtracting fractions is fuckin devil magic.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

toanoradian posted:

This is the result if you exhaust the sets first, which would be (5!)^3. If you instead chose to exhaust the 1s first, then the 2s, then the 3s, what you'll have is (5!) * (5^10), which is a vastly larger number than (5!)^3.

If you have the restriction that you’ll only do all of the 1s, then all of the 2s, then all of the 3s, you’re still gonna end up with the same math:

First button: 5 options (A1, B1, C1, D1, E1)
Second: 4 options (B1-E1)
Third: 3 options (C1-E1)
Fourth: 2 options (D1, E1)
Fifth: 1 option (E1)

Sixth: 5 options (A2-E2)
Seventh: 4 options
Eighth: 3 options
Ninth: 2 options
Tenth: 1 option

Eleventh: 5 options (A3-E3)
Twelfth: 4 options
Thirteenth: 3 options
Fourteenth: 2 options
Fifteenth: 1 option

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Math is a funny word. Say it a few times and try not to smile. Math. Math.

Math math math math

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Oldpainless? More like Oldsemanticless!

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
God I hate combinatorics

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

When I started high school they have me a calculator for math class and I was like "this is going to be a piece of cake now" I was wrong.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hate Fibration posted:

if you think Common Core is unnecessarily complex your mathematics teachers have failed you.

Or, you know, Common Core not actually existing yet when a huge chunk of the forums users were being taught in grade school might be a factor.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Untrustable posted:

All this math chat is killing me. I almost failed out of high school because I can't do algebra. My brain refuses to understand it. I don't know what the deal is but no amount of tutors and private lessons could get me through basic algebra 1. I can't do most math in my head which is funny because I run a business and I'm great at business math. That's actually what saved me from dropping out of school. I took a semester of business math and a semester of geometry to get the credits I needed to graduate. It's shameful but I can't even do long division without a calculator. I can't multiply past 1 digit numbers without a calculator. Example: 22X57...couldn't even guess at what that might be without a calculator. I excelled at every other subject but my brain outright rejects math. It sucks in a way because I always wanted to be an engineer or an architect but there's too much math involved. I like the business I'm in now but I feel like I missed out by not knowing math.

think of it like, break it down or round it off into numbers you can work with more easily.

so 22x57: round it up to 22x60. That's a bit nicer, right? Just gotta remember you have three 'extra' 22s. So 22 x 60 - 3x22.

3 x 22 is pretty simple, we'll just solve it for 66. You could break it down into 3 x 20 + 3 x 2 if you had to though.

So at this point we are just remembering three numbers: 22 needs to be multiplied by 60, and we have to subtract 66.

Probably you could quickly or intuitively figure it's 1320 - 66, but we'll break down 22 into 20 + 2, so it becomes 20 x 60 = 1200, + 2 x 60 = 120.

1200 + 120 - 66 = 1254.

Now you write it all out, it looks pretty unwieldy. But actually doing it in your head is not bad at all. Hell, I learned the formal way (cross multiply), then just started doing 'common core' way on my own in my head when I didn't have a calculator, without even knowing it was common core. Realizing that kids are just getting taught the way I was already doing it was a big "ooohhhh" moment, and I'd wager a LOT of people are doing something very similar. Maybe not exactly the same steps or order as I did, but not cross multiplying.

Hell, anyway, depending on how exact you need to be, you could practically just say gently caress it and go with 20x60 = 1200 and you're not that far off if all you need is a quick estimate for a bit, until you can get a calculator for the precise answer. And the idea is that common core is going to teach you to make that intuitive leap much better than slavishly being devoted to working it out "properly" in full.

And yes, Tiggum, you could cross multiply:

2 x 7 = 14
2 x 50= 100
7 x 20 = 140
20 x 50 = 1000

Add 'em all up for 1254. But at each point you still have to remember the answers you calculated earlier- by the end you're trying to hold each line's answer in your head while doing the next, or add them up on the fly as you go. Some people can do that, some can't, which is where alternative methods are useful.

Especially if you start getting into even bigger numbers. If you were trying to multiply two 6 digit figures, the amount of work required to cross multiply goes up heavily, while the common core process scales much better.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Nov 6, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I think I found a whole new realm of social media idiocy: rating a business while it's still under construction. Especially when the building burns down during construction. Oops.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

think of it like, break it down or round it off into numbers you can work with more easily.

so 22x57: round it up to 22x60. That's a bit nicer, right? Just gotta remember you have three 'extra' 22s. So 22 x 60 - 3x22.

3 x 22 is pretty simple, we'll just solve it for 66. You could break it down into 3 x 20 + 3 x 2 if you had to though.

So at this point we are just remembering three numbers: 22 needs to be multiplied by 60, and we have to subtract 66.

Probably you could quickly or intuitively figure it's 1320 - 66, but we'll break down 22 into 20 + 2, so it becomes 20 x 60 = 1200, + 2 x 60 = 120.

1200 + 120 - 66 = 1254.

Hell, depending on how exact you need to be, you could just say gently caress it and go with 20x60 = 1200 and you're not that far off if all you need is a quick estimate for a bit, until you can get a calculator for the precise answer.

And yes, Tiggum, you could cross multiply:

2 x 7 = 14
2 x 50= 100
7 x 20 = 140
20 x 50 = 1000

Add 'em all up for 1254. But at each point you still have to remember the answers you calculated earlier- by the end you're trying to hold each line's answer in your head while doing the next, or add them up on the fly as you go. Some people can do that, some can't, which is where alternative methods are useful.

Especially if you start getting into even bigger numbers. If you were trying to multiply two 6 digit figures, the amount of work required to cross multiply goes up heavily, while the common core process scales much better.

I'm having uncomfortable flashbacks to high school. I'm reading what it says and going over it again and again and I'm getting that same old feeling of hopeless frustration I felt through school when a tutor tried to explain it to me. I know there are words, explaining numbers, but I just can't figure it out. Even step by step I can't figure it.

Edit: I'm just seeing kindly old Mr. Bumgardner shaking his head and asking why I can't understand. It's a weird feeling.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Untrustable posted:

I'm having uncomfortable flashbacks to high school. I'm reading what it says and going over it again and again and I'm getting that same old feeling of hopeless frustration I felt through school when a tutor tried to explain it to me. I know there are words, explaining numbers, but I just can't figure it out. Even step by step I can't figure it.

Edit: I'm just seeing kindly old Mr. Bumgardner shaking his head and asking why I can't understand. It's a weird feeling.

Well, hey. Guess what really it's all pointless because everyone carries a computer around in their pocket now anyway, so don't sweat it!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Picnic Princess posted:

I think I found a whole new realm of social media idiocy: rating a business while it's still under construction. Especially when the building burns down during construction. Oops.

🚨Listen Up🚨 Slump😴😂Azz 😤Niggas🚨🚨🚨If Yhu☝🏾Ain Get Hard🍆😂😂😳N Yhur Ho💁🏾Tired Of Ya Slump Azz👿😴😂😂🔥Soak Ya Dick🍆⛽️💦💦In Kerosene🔥🔥😈That poo poo💪🏿💪🏿Fire🔥Ya Dick Up😈😈😈N Yhur Hoe 💁🏾 Gon B Sufferin😈👿🍆💦🔥Third Degree 🔥🔥Burns In Her Pussy Nigga😤😤😤😤 Real poo poo💩N If That Ain Werk⁉️😳😫😩Bring Yhur Bih Here😈N She Get The Flamethrower💪🏿🔥👿🍆💦🔥N I Ain Talkin Mixtapes Str8 Up😂😂😂

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh that is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Picnic Princess posted:

What an amazing progression.

A thing that always bugged me with product reviews online is people rating stuff that’s on pre-order like “this looks amazing 5/5”. It’s not out yet, you don’t have it, stop putting ratings like they’re comments on YouTube. More of a pet peeve here but whatever