Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

eatenmyeyes posted:

Wounds and Proximity are probably my favorites.

These are pretty much the high points of the game. I got strong feelings for the Mall sequence as well as Doughnut Wolf but those two bits are equally the best.

Wounds really hit me hard just due to being a gay dude with self-esteem issues. When Gregg starts talking all fast about being trash, Ugh, it breaks me every time. It does not hurt that Gregg and Mae on the long bike ride over there is the prettiest part of the game for me.

Proximity is wonderful tho. The dancing just nails the adorable nature of this game, same with Mae getting hit on. The finale with Bea and "Best Available Friends" is just the soulful core of the game.

Man, this announcement just sucked me right back into this game. I cannot wait to play it again. Thank god it gets released after I finish student teaching. I will have free time and all new angst to take with me into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm going to be torn between digging into the free update or waiting for the inevitable Switch release

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Was the reason Gregg called himself parking lot trash compared to Angus because he grew up as one of only a couple of gays in a small town? That's the only reason I could find for it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Onomarchus posted:

Was the reason Gregg called himself parking lot trash compared to Angus because he grew up as one of only a couple of gays in a small town? That's the only reason I could find for it.

He calls himself that compared to Angus cause he's a guy who does crimes and does dumb crazy poo poo like play knife stabby in the woods or break into buildings and Angus is a good wholesome responsible boy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm going to be torn between digging into the free update or waiting for the inevitable Switch release

We can only hope it's inevitable :ohdear:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macaluso posted:

He calls himself that compared to Angus cause he's a guy who does crimes and does dumb crazy poo poo like play knife stabby in the woods or break into buildings and Angus is a good wholesome responsible boy

All this plus Gregg has some mental issues. His dialogue in that section hints at bipolarism and I would not be shocked to find things like depression in there as well. I'm no mental health expert though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

We can only hope it's inevitable :ohdear:

It is:
https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/925014487064817664

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Onomarchus posted:

My impression is that he's a dirt bag/lowlife, which isn't to say he's a bad person. He's fond of the simple things: breaking poo poo, making noise, being needlessly reckless, etc. You probably knew someone like that in school.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

basically

bea listens to chapo trap house

gregg listens to cum town

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Aww yeah, Ouya release. Finally! :c00l:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
One of my favourite sequences that I haven't seen mentioned is starwatching with Angus. Really made me appreciate his character. Plus, drat, stargazing is so good in this game (and in general!)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im kinda sad this game has so many missable interactions because i have a few friends that id really like to see play this game, but i know they wont play it twice and i dont want to micro them to find the rat feeding or whatnot

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Verviticus posted:

im kinda sad this game has so many missable interactions because i have a few friends that id really like to see play this game, but i know they wont play it twice and i dont want to micro them to find the rat feeding or whatnot

I watched a streamer I like talk to Selmers every day and then when they had a chance to listen to the poetry club they just went "nah" and LEFT. I actually found it hard to keep watching the rest of it cause how DARE you!!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I watched a streamer I like talk to Selmers every day and then when they had a chance to listen to the poetry club they just went "nah" and LEFT. I actually found it hard to keep watching the rest of it cause how DARE you!!!

:sever:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

Wow, that basically has to be a troll right?

Ironically that's probably what Mae would do in the miniseries adaptation of NITW.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, that basically has to be a troll right?

Ironically that's probably what Mae would do in the miniseries adaptation of NITW.

I could actually see a series or at least an animated film based on this working pretty well. I wouldn't mind a sequel one day either (though isn't this technically the 3rd installment as there were two short little side things released a few years prior?)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Macaluso posted:

"Top-a-da-morning" green guy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xander77 posted:

Man if that’s the same guy I’m thinking of he also chose “just friends” in his stream of the Life is Strange prequel. Come on, son!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my yes :cool:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Xander77 posted:

It's not him no

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Great news! Maybe one day we could get a Switch port for Life is Strange and/or Before the Storm as well (or would those games be too big for the system to handle?) Undertale would be nice too.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I think the Switch is a good platform for these games. I look forward to hunting dusk stars while out in the woods at night.

Also, can I just say that "Weird Autumn" is my favorite band song? cause it's the best one and I'm glad the new cut is named after it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Larryb posted:

Great news! Maybe one day we could get a Switch port for Life is Strange and/or Before the Storm as well (or would those games be too big for the system to handle?) Undertale would be nice too.

The original LiS had versions on the PS3 and 360 so I'd like to think the Switch could handle it just fine. Before the Storm swapped engines and (I think) added some new graphics features so it could be a bit more challenging but maybe not by much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delsaber posted:

The original LiS had versions on the PS3 and 360 so I'd like to think the Switch could handle it just fine. Before the Storm swapped engines and (I think) added some new graphics features so it could be a bit more challenging but maybe not by much.

That's what I figured, and unless Square has some kind of exclusive contract with Sony and Microsoft I don't really see any reason for them not to eventually bring the LiS experience over to Nintendo consoles.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Macaluso posted:

Was it Gunjumper-senpai?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Didnt Undertale already come out for switch? Or was that a different nintendo console?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Didnt Undertale already come out for switch? Or was that a different nintendo console?

At the moment Undertale is only available on PC/Mac/Linux, PS4, and Vita. There were talks about porting it to the Wii U at one point but nothing ever came of it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 2, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Replaying this today and suddenly Gregg's comment on the first day about "too bad you didn't join a murdercult" suddenly hits a lot closer. :ohdear:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I don't normally read KS updates once I have the product, but if you were a backer, definitely check out #81 for NitW. It's been very good to read it, and I think at some point all of us have asked both "Is Mae going to be ok?" and "Is Mae a good person?" during our playthroughs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zikan posted:

basically

bea listens to chapo trap house

gregg listens to cum town

Bea listens exclusively to Bauhaus bootlegs.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

RedMagus posted:

I don't normally read KS updates once I have the product, but if you were a backer, definitely check out #81 for NitW. It's been very good to read it, and I think at some point all of us have asked both "Is Mae going to be ok?" and "Is Mae a good person?" during our playthroughs.

Is there any way to buy access or has that ship sailed?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

RedMagus posted:

Yeah I wasn't a backer to be able to see that but as far as Mae being a good person, she strikes me as someone who wants to be a good person but has a hard enough time just being a functioning person at all a lot of the time so hard to focus on being good or not.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

eatenmyeyes posted:

Is there any way to buy access or has that ship sailed?

I'll repost it in here if Scott OKs it. It's a good post.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I regret not knowing about this game until it launched tbh.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ijyt posted:

I regret not knowing about this game until it launched tbh.

Yeah I only heard about it a couple of days before it came out and I have no idea how that happened.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard about it during the Kickstarter, but had no money then and thus couldn't back it, as much as I wanted to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Yeah I wasn't a backer to be able to see that but as far as Mae being a good person, she strikes me as someone who wants to be a good person but has a hard enough time just being a functioning person at all a lot of the time so hard to focus on being good or not.

Yeah, Mae is already kind of broken by the time the game starts and things get worse from there. Her home life is a bit shaky once you look under the surface and of course the fact that her disassociation once got so bad that she nearly killed someone.

That doesn't make her a bad person at heart though, just that she has too much on her plate already to deal with stuff like that. Being with Mae over the course of the game does help Bea sort through her own issues though so she does at least do some good in the long run.

But the game does end on a slightly hopeful note at least (that while she might never be 100% ok, Mae still has a chance of getting better as long as she has friends she can lean on).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 6, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only thing that I can say I honestly think makes Mae a bad person is that she is fairly willfully naive and/or ignorant about how the world works. Though that honestly may be a way that she copes with, or is a product of her illness

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished a second playthrough to hand with Gregg. Wounds was great but while Legends was good I don't think it was nearly as strong of a final hangout as Proximity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

The only thing that I can say I honestly think makes Mae a bad person is that she is fairly willfully naive and/or ignorant about how the world works. Though that honestly may be a way that she copes with, or is a product of her illness

Or, you know, because she's still very young and figuring things out. She's a good kid, deep down. They all are. :unsmith: