Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's the same setup.

I was expecting the show to be somewhat ruined based on Edd's statements when he quit. But yeah, it's identical. Ant is good in the fabrication department as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was expecting the show to be somewhat ruined based on Edd's statements when he quit. But yeah, it's identical. Ant is good in the fabrication department as well.

Some of the mechanical bits do seem to be more glossed over now. In the latest episode (the Dodge van) they started off with "so I removed the engine" and didn't show a single bit of it. Still not bad though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

opengl128 posted:

Some of the mechanical bits do seem to be more glossed over now. In the latest episode (the Dodge van) they started off with "so I removed the engine" and didn't show a single bit of it. Still not bad though.

Heh, was going to mention that exact thing because I was curious on how they did it. Through the top or the bottom, but looks like through the top since that's how they put the new one in. Then you had the issue with probably driveshaft length to screw with. Probably due to lack of time.

The other thing that bugged me with the van was the front bumper and being welded. What the hell did the seam look like?

But all in all not bad like you said. I do get a chuckle how they do dollars first than pounds. But when when he measured for the crossmember he gave some exact metric measurement. Then 10 minutes later said it was exactly 30" (don't quote me). Yeah, I'm sure back in '65 the Dodge engineers specced the dimension in metric and coincidentally it came out to an exact imperial measurement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Colostomy Bag posted:

I thought Jalopnik said the first episode went into a ton of detail about the mechanical stuff? Wouldn't be surprised if they just laid the groundwork for streamlining it for the rest of the season though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://twitter.com/MSTheGunslinger/status/927887432019824640

Mike Skinner is out for season 2 and this tweet makes it sound like he's the one who decided not to come back. So they lose a great driver all because they wanted some stupid character to run into the ground instead of getting the opinions of an accomplished racing driver. Hopefully they learn their lesson and they cut all the lame poo poo like "The American" and celebrity brain crash. Just put a great driver in each car and let them honestly say what they think during the lap instead of scripting very bad "YEE HAW I'M AMERICAN!" lines.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Why have the driver talk at all? I
It’s almost like a silent driver with host commentary would be a better solution. I wonder if anyone has done that before?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder if anyone can claim that as an identifying feature of their show?

I don't think you can make the Stig lightning strike twice, anyway. Better to cut your losses and come up with something new.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Why have the driver talk at all? I
It’s almost like a silent driver with host commentary would be a better solution. I wonder if anyone has done that before?

They were most likely doing their best to say "WE HAVE A DRIVER BUT HE ISN'T SILENT, LOOK AT HOW MUCH HE TALKS!" in order to make it legally clear that they aren't making Top Gear. But they went too far and made it completely stupid.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They really just need to drop power laps entirely and leave it to Top Gear. Same with any celebrity stuff or anything else that's a holdover from Top Gear's format. I get that they felt the need to have all that sort of stuff to maintain the Top Gear audience for a launch of a new show, but they'd be so much better to just trim the fat and do their own thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The problem with getting rid of powerlaps is that people want to know how super cars stack up against each other. Even then, it's not a very good metric. The only way to compare the cars would be to have them all at the track on the same day under the same conditions. Having a car go around the track when it is wet is just a waste of time.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Have James May do all the "power" laps.

I want to know which ₤1 Million super car provides the most leisurely drive through quaint country lanes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This is why unlike James May I actually like Nurburgring lap times. Not because that particular track needs to be the benchmark for every single car, but you know when a manufacturer posts a lap time they waited for good weather and had someone skilled doing the driving. It does me zero good to know how well a car performed in the rain or on a mostly-moist track. If you don't have the resources to get them all there at the same time like Motor Trend's lightning laps at VIR every year, maybe move production to somewhere that isn't raining every other day.

Top Gear is hosted by an American and the other hosts don't have the clout to demand production stay near where they live. Just move Top Gear to America and get rid of Top Gear America. Grand Tour can be the British car show with the worthless lap times.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Top Gear will never change its formula, or locale, for a variety of reasons. The Grand Tour on the other hand, is a new show where everything is still malleable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I dunno: having unlikeable presenters with no charisma or chemistry was quite a change.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It was a necessary change because of how the BBC works. It was for the best though, as now we have a new trio that is better than the old trio in some ways.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It means Top Gear's putting up Chris Harris drives fancy cars videos on YouTube regularly which is a nice development.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

They were most likely doing their best to say "WE HAVE A DRIVER BUT HE ISN'T SILENT, LOOK AT HOW MUCH HE TALKS!" in order to make it legally clear that they aren't making Top Gear. But they went too far and made it completely stupid.

I would have liked had they met in the middle. Have an American driver who talks constantly, but in an incomprehensible Boomhauer mumble.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jehde posted:

It was a necessary change because of how the BBC works. It was for the best though, as now we have a new trio that is better than the old trio in some ways.

In which ways?

(Not a snarky question, I am genuinely interested in your opinion)

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The American shtick was dumb. It was boring halfway through the first lap. It actually could have been funny if he was a more of a well spoken American smartass who had some good lines about the hosts or car he was driving instead of just being a stereotype repeating the same jokes about communism and trucks every episode. Skinner probably could have pulled that off pretty well if they put a little effort into the writing.

Still excited for the next season though, I think it will be a lot better.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

spog posted:

In which ways?

(Not a snarky question, I am genuinely interested in your opinion)

Old trio's personalities started to get a bit long in the tooth. What carries them to this day is their chemistry, which in the first season of GT felt a bit hamfisted, but still did the job alright. Take the chemistry out and Clarkson is just big loud man that likes big loud things, Hammond is just a radio show talk host that wishes he were American, and May is just a bumbling nerd. I still like their individual personalities perfectly fine, but they're not as interesting as they once were, and it's the chemistry that keeps it entertaining. Like have you tried watching anything any of them have put out individually? It's usually not that great. Of the three I find May the most entertaining, but I feel he'd be much better suited nowadays doing straight up informative documentaries, like Cars of the People which was amazing.

New trio on the other hand is still finding their footing, but the second season of new new TG showed a lot of promise. Harris is essentially a youtube celebrity who plays a angry nerd, but he does so surprisingly effectively. If you watched any of his youtube stuff, his personality still shines through on TG, and that's great. Joey I felt iffy about at first, but he plays this "privileged every day man" role pretty well, which is something that I think speaks to a lot of TG's more casual viewers. Reid is the odd man out, he doesn't seem to have that much personality yet, but he's still very likeable. Harris and Joey are already starting to brew some chemistry, just out of being a nerd versus jock sort of dichotomy, but Reid still feels like a third wheel, so hopefully Reid can develop a bit more or something.

So basically old trio is getting a bit stale but still good, new trio is fresh and shows promise.

But in the end, we have both GT and TG now. The old trio is off doing what they do best (s2 trailer makes it seem they're going to lean more into that stuff), and the new trio is showing to be a good fit for the tried and true formula. The two complement eachother and it's great that we have both.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

Consider that they have the same producer they had when on the BBC, no.

Wilman was executive producer and has terrible humor. A big army of BBC writers, editors and producers helped provide content and yay/nay/tweak his ideas. A random monkey, maybe just because they happened to have an animated monkey lying around, would not have made the cut. Amazon has no army like that. Not that it matters hugely of course, but without that army of cutting edge joke smiths (which are used in tons of shows) you get stuff like endlessly repeating "does that mean he's not coming on then" without evolving it, etc etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzD_SnpWCpw

I'm definitely in favor of the Halfa Romeo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That is definitely more in the spirit of things. I hope they make it a contest of who can keep going the longest before they spin out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzD_SnpWCpw

I'm definitely in favor of the Halfa Romeo.

"I went on the internet and I found this:"

(criticism of celebrity brain crash, requests for more silly car stuff)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Shame they're not just axing celebrity stuff entirely.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBy6XRHPODQ

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a fun bit but they seriously need to stop doing the thing where something funny happens and they describe the funny thing that's happening.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're accounting for all audiences.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddnnGMPxVZY

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
That was a Renaultsport Clio, gotta admit I hate seeing seemingly decent cars being wrecked for lols. Kinda why I stopped watching modern topgear in the first place, that and it because terminally unfunny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're accounting for all audiences.
what, like the vision impaired

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

My Lovely Horse posted:

what, like the vision impaired

Americans

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Core yobbo demographic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

track day bro! posted:

That was a Renaultsport Clio, gotta admit I hate seeing seemingly decent cars being wrecked for lols. Kinda why I stopped watching modern topgear in the first place, that and it because terminally unfunny.
I think it's a safe bet that most of the cars they wreck are leftovers from press fleets which have been beaten to poo poo by journalists for years and would likely get crushed anyways.

If you didn't like that one you probably won't like this one either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSLozqjyOk

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

I think it's a safe bet that most of the cars they wreck are leftovers from press fleets which have been beaten to poo poo by journalists for years and would likely get crushed anyways.

If you didn't like that one you probably won't like this one either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSLozqjyOk

The CLIO from the first one is still has the MOT until 17 May 2018, and had 100,635 miles in may 2017. The megane in the second one has the plates off a blue CLIO

It's more likely they bought the cars for a certain challenge(such as driving like a renaultsport yobbo), and couldn't in good conscience sell them on having done what they did to them.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

This one involves no wrecked cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZsyO1n-kA

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The styling on that Civic says different :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GSILNh6U4