Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

System Metternich posted:

In general it's misleading to think of the past as a time where everybody was super pious and religious, because all too people see this religiosity through the lens of modernity, which draws a clear line between secular thought and deed and religiosity - when you go to work that's secular, but when you go to church that's religious; doing the dishes is secular, but when you set aside some time for prayer afterwards that's religious etc. This distinction didn't exist at all in earlier times. Everything, from working the fields to politics or warfare was simultaneously an act of worship and/or something sanctified by having a firm place in the divinely ordained universal order. The Sumerian kings had to ritually confirm their place in this celestial hierarchy every year; failure to do do would effectively have meant giving up on the throne. There was nothing symbolic about this - the liturgy shaped reality in a very real and tangible way. Medieval kings saw their office as closely related to a clerical ordination; the German kings wore a dalmatic (like a deacon) and enjoyed certain liturgical prerogatives that were otherwise closed for laity, while the kings of England and France were anointed with holy oils and cured the sick with their holy touch. Early modern Catholics sanctified time itself by using prayer as a measure of time and so on. Some archaeologists all too quickly recede to a “cultic“ or “religious“ explanation, but on the other hand it can't be understated how literally all of existence was religion for our forefathers.

At the same time the liturgical / religious was also an aspect of the "secular" / mundane. When the Old Believer Orthodox peasants in Russia rebelled against the switch to new religious reforms, it was not due to stubborn superstition, it was because their life was structured by the rites and roles reproduced through religion - those norms included practices vital for continuing the agricultural work in their regions, the running of households, etc. Their years, weeks, months, were defined by religious events, so were their notions of individuals' place in society, their duties, informal arbitration mechanisms, ethical decision making of communal life... In short, the economy and politcs of such communities had a deeply religious dynamic.

In this book the author formulates, based on interviews with members of contemporary religious communities, that faith was the tool through which the believers formed their particular attitudes towards the problem of "cultivating Russian land". https://books.google.cz/books?id=7E...reasons&f=false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Any of you know if this refers to a specific fairy tale or fable or something?

Looks like a knight with a tail riding a swan(?)

e: oh poo poo, he has hoofs too. Is he a faun or the devil?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That's my dad and my mom you prick

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

huh i thought these were your dad & mom:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

Horny_people_riding_cocks.png

NWS that filth

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Powaqoatse posted:

Any of you know if this refers to a specific fairy tale or fable or something?

Looks like a knight with a tail riding a swan(?)

e: oh poo poo, he has hoofs too. Is he a faun or the devil?

I vaguely remember reading a nonsense folk tale that featured something like this - I did not find the story, but I did find an amazing repository of folk tales from around the world - catalogued by topic!

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html

I love folk tales about terrible farts.

Edit: Apparently there is a Chinese legend about a Lord from the state of Qi who had to escape on a hen and there are pottery images of this on the roof of the Forbidden Palace.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Nov 3, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think there might be something to these two being about sex at least. It's from a Danish printer's sample (dunno what they're called, little books with typography and woodcuts to show off their skill) from 1779. There's an old Danish word hanrejhorn which means cuckold, and is derived from rooster + [unknown] + horns. I only realized this now, sorry for implying your parents are cucks, verbal enema :o:

Pookah posted:

I vaguely remember reading a nonsense folk tale that featured something like this - I did not find the story, but I did find an amazing repository of folk tales from around the world - catalogued by topic!

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html

I love folk tales about terrible farts.

Thanks lol. Maybe he's the devil riding a swan maiden?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Nov 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I read that when the Germans surrendered at the end of the Second World War, there were approximately a quarter of a million Wehrmacht soldiers in Norway (who were suitably well dug-in and equipped that the proposed occupation plan post-1945 in the event they didn't surrender was code-named "Operation Doomsday"), because right up to the very end, Hitler was convinced that the Allies would try invading through Norway again. I wonder if they could have made any difference for the Nazis if they'd been deployed anywhere else.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There was a lot of weird "logistical issues" at the end of the war.

The German commander in, I think, Danish chartered city Kolding, would only surrender to a uniformed government official & so eventually surrendered to the local postmaster. Contemporary newspaper cartoonist Bo Bojesen did an excellent cartoon of that scene, I should scan that some day.

The easternmost Danish island of Bornholm was occupied by the Soviet Union for a year after the war cause nobody was sure how the partitioning of Europe was gonna pan out. Wikipedia has a quote from a local resident: "Vi har jo både haft lybækkere, svenskere og tyskere rendende her, men de forsvandt sgu igen. Så det gør de sgu også!" = Well, we've had Lübeckers, Swedes, & Germans running around here but they all bloody disappeared. They [the Russians] damned likely will too! – "damned" is a lovely translation of a Danish profane interjection but I can't think of a better one right now.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Nov 3, 2017

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Apparently it (sgu) is a contraction of "so God help me".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

True, but it's lost almost all meaning and is no longer considered a swear but instead a dialogpartikel (discourse marker is the English term I think).

It's mild enough that nobody will raise an eyebrow even if say a politician uses it. The queen hasn't used it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the crown prince did at some point.

At the time it'd be considered somewhat more powerful, so I went with bloody/damned.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The story of Milunka Savic is a pretty amazing one, so here's The Great War's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYz6aWz1cs

And .txt version:

- Disguises herself as her brother, takes his place to fight in the Serbian army during Balkan wars and WWI
- Wounded 9 times, decorated bunch of times, spawns all kinds of stories of skill and bravery
- Gives birth to 1 daughter, adopts 3 more
- Gets sent to a concentration camp during WWII for refusing to cooperate with the puppet government
- Toils in obscurity and poverty for decades until she shows up at the 50th anniversary of WWI, dunking on everyone else with previously mentioned decorations, finally getting recognition she deserved

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1885 the city of Dura-Europos was discovered in Syria. It was founded in 303 BC and abandoned because of a siege in 256 AD. Dura-Europus may also be the first documented chemical attack. Archaeologists believe that the attackers built tunnels and when the romans built counter tunnels they ignited sulphur and bitumen which filled the tunnel with a poisonous gas. After the romans had died of the gas they then used the corpses as a wall to defend themselves from arrows and entered the city. As for the attackers' identity, it was relatively easy for archaeologists to figure that out once they found a grafitti that read "the sassanids are attacking".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anyone say "no alarms and no surprises" yet?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Powaqoatse posted:

anyone say "no alarms and no surprises" yet?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There being two, non-consecutive, Grover Cleveland heads is genuinely one of the best Futurama jokes.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

A little image dump:

"The atrocities of war", 1630

The Styrian "Völkertafel", a tabellaric description of all the supposed qualities and differences of various European peoples, early 18th century

Close-up of a penitent confraternity's procession through Vienna, 1737

A veteran of the Battle of Waterloo with his wife, 1850

Papal General Audience in front of St Peter's Cathedral, 1860

A mummy vendor in Egypt, 1875. For much of the 19th century, European and American elites were in sort of a mummy craze, snorting mummy powder as medicine (seriously) and using them as props in their homes to impress visitors.

Some common folk from Vienna, c. 1900:

Rat catcher

Poultry vendor

Door-to-door (or rather window-to-window) salesman

Janitor

Tinker

Shoeshiner

Washerwoman

Let's leave Vienna again...

Flirting with strangers via table phones and pneumatic tubes in a Berlin nightclub, 1920

Peasant girls from western Bavaria in their workday best, 1934

An old woman tells her grandchildren of her husband, who went to WW1 and never came back (same village as above), 1938

A tense situation at the German-German border in Berlin after a young woman made it to the west, 1955

Turkish Gastarbeiter praying towards Mecca in the Catholic Cathedral of Augsburg, 1972

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

True, but it's lost almost all meaning and is no longer considered a swear but instead a dialogpartikel (discourse marker is the English term I think).

It's mild enough that nobody will raise an eyebrow even if say a politician uses it. The queen hasn't used it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the crown prince did at some point.

At the time it'd be considered somewhat more powerful, so I went with bloody/damned.

in plains midwestern american english, it would translate to either 'fuckin' or 'dang ol' depending on how mean your dad was

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Styrian "Völkertafel", a tabellaric description of all the supposed qualities and differences of various European peoples, early 18th century

This is savage af

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg what a fantastic imagedump,, i seriously wanna talk about every photo but ill try and restrict myself lol

quote:

A mummy vendor in Egypt, 1875. For much of the 19th century, European and American elites were in sort of a mummy craze, snorting mummy powder as medicine (seriously) and using them as props in their homes to impress visitors.

i just wish they used them as props instead of idiot powdersnorting...

(:drat: tho that wäschenmädl below has got a crazy tight midriff)

imo the photo description must be off. She's at least 70 & so her husband would have been late 50s/early 60s in 1914. doesnt look like an officers uniform. it must be her son & the childrens' dad

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Corrode posted:

This is savage af

Turk and Greek pastime: "Being sickly"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

for all their inherent uselessness, the german race is pretty good at systematizing racism

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Powaqoatse posted:

omg what a fantastic imagedump,, i seriously wanna talk about every photo but ill try and restrict myself lol

i just wish they used them as props instead of idiot powdersnorting...

(:drat: tho that wäschenmädl below has got a crazy tight midriff)

imo the photo description must be off. She's at least 70 & so her husband would have been late 50s/early 60s in 1914. doesnt look like an officers uniform. it must be her son & the childrens' dad

I was wondering about that too, but it was just the description I grabbed off the university's image servers :shrug: I don't think they're his children though, the picture was taken 20 years after the end of WW1 after all. Maybe the poor sod was just massively unlucky and got sent to war even in old age?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If she was 50 in 1914, the she could have had a 30 year old son that enlisted, while already having a 10 year old child himself, who would have grown up by 1938 to have a family and kids of their own. In other words, those can be great grandchildren.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was wondering about that too, but it was just the description I grabbed off the university's image servers :shrug: I don't think they're his children though, the picture was taken 20 years after the end of WW1 after all. Maybe the poor sod was just massively unlucky and got sent to war even in old age?

oh yeah, the children look 5-10 ish so yeah obvs their dad didnt die in ww1.

might be one of those young/old relationships i guess? ive seen it a lot in the 17-1800s & im sure it still happened in the early 1900s. basically women had no personal powers so they needed some rear end in a top hat to administer their goods & married whoever seemed least awful... so maybe she was 20+ years older than her husband? idk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

steinrokkan posted:

If she was 50 in 1914, the she could have had a 30 year old son that enlisted, while already having a 10 year old child himself, who would have grown up by 1938 to have a family and kids of their own. In other words, those can be great grandchildren.

:wth:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

for all their inherent uselessness, the german race is pretty good at systematizing racism

See also (mildly :nws:): http://i.imgur.com/8m8x0OW.jpg

The subtitles are "This is how the German colonises; this is how the Englishman colonises, this is how the Frenchman does it, and this how the Belgian does it."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also i just realized she might not be 70 at all. Her teeth couldve been taken out as a precaution against potential future problems :shepface: (one of my grandpas had that done when he was 14)

tbh she could be idk 60s? her skin isnt bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Perestroika posted:

See also (mildly :nws:): http://i.imgur.com/8m8x0OW.jpg

The subtitles are "This is how the German colonises; this is how the Englishman colonises, this is how the Frenchman does it, and this how the Belgian does it."

Eerily accurate especially re: Belgium

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

AgentF posted:

Sickly, lazy, and love jerking off

I feel like you could post that on Reddit and get millions of unironic upvotes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm the russian with nothing on my mind.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Corrode posted:

quote:

Sickly, lazy, and love jerking off

Well, they've got my number

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I’m the Turk OR Greek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Digital posted:

:ducksiren: : “this isn’t even my vernal form” :ssj:

Fuckin nice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I’m the Turk OR Greek

If they really wanted to piss them both off they would have put Turk (Greek).

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Greek (Turk)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greek and/or Turk

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grurk. Teek.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quit paging me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Byzantine posted:

Quit paging me.

no one said roman