Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As someone who actually came from crippling poverty instead of just using them as a rhetorical human shield, 'having the luxury of disengaging from politics' has always been an absurd statement; disenfranchised citizens don't leave the womb with a voter registration sheet, and putting faith that politics will get them out of their predicament is a price few can afford. I understand what you're poorly trying to verbalize, that it's easier to not care when it doesn't affect you, but 'having the luxury to disengage from politics' is an asinine statement when more than half of america does not have enough faith in politics to bother voting for president.

As much as it might pain you to admit, there are in fact minority and poor citizens who simply are not inspired by current parties, irregardless of actual voter supression. That doesn't mean supression doesn't exist, only that it's not the only factor.

Just as how you can't create a successful leftist movement without integrating both social and fiscal leftism, you cannot have a successful voter-generating strategy with just voter enthusiasm or voter suppression. The two are interlocked, where the higher the barrier for entry, the higher the required enthusiasm, and the higher the required enthusiasm, the lower the required barrier for entry needed to get them to vote.

There isn't a messianic wave of voters aching to give democrats every state and position of governance, held back by voter suppression alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not talking about reality. I'm talking about history. They are different things.

Uh, there are definitely a lot of historians (and people) that don't think Grant was a bumbling corrupt fool. The ones that do tend to be Lost Causers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Quorum posted:

I for one am having fun at least. :allears:

PS I think Justin Fairfax or someone else cool may be talking at the PSA taping tonight, I'm hoping to hear some good tidbits about VA state level politics.
I've been down in Urbanna VA for 4 days for an Oyster Fest at our rich family friend's house and its so obnoxious watching TV and seeing Gillespie/Vogel ads every 2 minutes on the TV. Funny thing is the wife of the family was actually in the same HS as Gillespie and they were both hall monitors apparently this guy has always been a total dweeb. Though the wife is probably not voting for Northam because she got really upset at his ad being "tasteless" for showing Gillespie supporters running over immigrants.

Also the father of the family really wants this godawful tax plan to be passed :negative:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I also don't ever see Obama of all presidents being historically remembered as corrupt.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Motto posted:

I also don't ever see Obama of all presidents being historically remembered as corrupt.

History is going to be very kind to Obama considering who he succeeded and who then came after him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah Obama is only corrupt by normal human standards, in other words if you compare him to the insanely turbocorrupt presidencies surrounding his he looks like a saint.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Motto posted:

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah Obama is only corrupt by normal human standards, in other words if you compare him to the insanely turbocorrupt presidencies surrounding his he looks like a saint.

It's going to heavily depend on how much of the DNC bloat blame gets assigned to him IMO. He's lucky here in that it seems like Hillary is taking all the grift blame.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Obama will probably be helped a bit as Hillary has become the go-to villain for everyone inclined to tarnish his legacy. It's kinda weird, to be honest.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the state department in all likelihood gave their tacit approval

The state department is still horribly understaffed, especially at the higher levels, they also gave tacit approval for the Saudi debacle with Qatar which ended with Qatar even deeper in the Iranian camp.

I suppose the question to ask is would a sane state department give approval, which i think doesnt matter since this looks like an entirely internal affair so at best it might have less looked like a straight up purge.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I mean, if we're talking Clinton (Bill), Reagan, HW Bush, Jr, and Trump as the presidents he is compared to in the modern era then yeah, he's going to come out of it looking swell.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's because Obama's a swell dude.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
he's clearly top 10 in presidents of all time, but then again almost all presidents have been murderous imperialists so thats not exactly the highest bar

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Everyone pretty much thinks Obama was a good president except for republicans, anarchists, left-libertarians, and other assorted oddballs.

That said, he made some bad mistakes, was too willing to compromise with republicans, and apparently his organization hosed up the DNC really badly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Look iff America actually tries to unfuck itself and create a decent future where at least an overall majority get by, Obama will probably be considered a halfway decent president whose only real fault was not having enough vision. If the poo poo hits the fan. Say the GOP somehow does pass their dreamed of CC that makes America utterly ungovernable, or the cnetrists decide they would be fine with a split opposition and try to steal 2020 then he'll be considered like Millard Filmore.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only criticism obama is going to get from historians other than continuing our terrible foreign policy adventures is going to be history professors arguing over the 2016 primaries and the collapse of the democratic party

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the only criticism obama is going to get from historians other than continuing our terrible foreign policy adventures is going to be history professors arguing over the 2016 primaries and the collapse of the democratic party

So Millard Filmore. The last Whig president,

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We can bring back the whigs now that the Dems are about to collapse. We can call them the Neo Whig Party.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
eh its more going to be incredibly bitter arguments over just how much attention a 21st century president needs to pay attention to the inner runnings of the party

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still maintain that Obama's going to be lucky to go down in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnN_JoIBkzw

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Season 134 of The Simpsons will feature a reprise of that song, we'll see who's in it

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Aves Maria! posted:

Uh, there are definitely a lot of historians (and people) that don't think Grant was a bumbling corrupt fool. The ones that do tend to be Lost Causers.

You are so close.

So close to getting what I was saying.

But you keep missing it.

Shbobdb posted:

Obama will be remembered as one of the most corrupt Presidents, like Grant.

His patronage system, as seen by the DNC, Clinton Foundation access to the State Department, and things like Soylandro are all the history books will talk about in order to keep them appealing to the Texas educational market.

Now that I've helped you read, try again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

We can bring back the whigs now that the Dems are about to collapse. We can call them the Neo Whig Party.

It already exists.

http://www.modernwhig.org/

It is as sad as it sounds.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

It already exists.

http://www.modernwhig.org/

It is as sad as it sounds.

lol

:wtc:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

http://action.modernwhig.org/

quote:

The Modern Whig Party is the spearhead of a pragmatic, centrist, solutions-oriented political movement dedicated to the restoration of representative government in our nation. We believe broad citizen participation at all levels of government is necessary for our civic, political and economic lives to thrive, and we are determined to take practical, sensible action to support our fellow Americans in returning control of their government to their hands.

:thunk:

quote:

The idea of reviving the Whig name occurred to members of the American armed forces serving in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2007, and the Modern Whig Party was officially formed in Washington, D.C. in December 2009. From the very beginning our sole purpose and reason for being has been to serve in the spirit our military veterans understand so completely. We are a party committed to authentic service, and pledged to a simple motto: Courage. Common Sense. Country.

Oh. Oh dear.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's OK, usually when former corporals who think they're smarter than they actually are decide to form a Common Sense political party, it looks a lot worse for minorities. Just make sure none of these clowns tried to go to art school.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The hundred-years-out analysis of Obama is going to be "was elected on a populist wave promising left wing reforms, but then once in office was met with right-wing intransigence and was only able to deliver modest incremental reforms rather than sweeping change, and thus ultimately failed to address the systemic failures that had made his own election possible and that in turn left the door open for the election of a right-wing populist demagogue in the form of Trump."

and the rest of the book will be an illegible mass of sodden wood pulp and scorch marks

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Never would've thought Clay as a hero. Feels very democrat centrist.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The hundred-years-out analysis of Obama is going to be "was elected on a populist wave promising left wing reforms, but then once in office was met with right-wing intransigence and was only able to deliver modest incremental reforms rather than sweeping change, and thus ultimately failed to address the systemic failures that had made his own election possible and that in turn left the door open for the election of a right-wing populist demagogue in the form of Trump."

lol if you think people are going to be writing books about American presidents in 100 years when the planet is an irradiated hellscape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's going to be like that quote about the Civil War and slavery. When you know a little, you think Obama was a good president. When you know more, you think Obama was a bad president. When you know a lot, you think Obama was a good president.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/927407322300846080
Incredible political operation from the very smart party under Tom Perez.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

D +2 among likely voters who turned out in 2014 when the Dems were in power and not very popular and most Dem voters were apathetic vs D +11 among all likely voters.

Hmm I wonder which number they'll choose for their headline.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

D +2 among likely voters who turned out in 2014 when the Dems were in power and most Dem voters were apathetic vs D +11 among all likely voters.

Hmm I wonder which they'll choose for their headline.

Are all these voters going to be turning out for data center consolidation?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nanomashoes posted:

That particular segment of that particular poll measures only the most die-hard voters from the 2014 midterm. The last time that cohort of voters came out, it was a crushing defeat for the Democrats in Congress. That group polling at parity in 2018 isn't a good sign for taking back Congress, of course, but a) it still displays a substantial shift in opinion, and b) it is incredibly unlikely that the 2018 electorate will look just like the 2014 electorate, in the same way for the 2012 electorate didn't look just like the 2006 electorate.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm gonna cross-post what I said in Trump thread here so people don't Covok.

axeil posted:

Eh, I mean it's a useful bit of info for modeling the electorate. You typically want to compare things to a bunch of different elections to get a sense of things. For example, if you're trying to model the VA-GOV electorate for tomorrow there are 3 recent baselines you can use:

-VA-GOV 2013
-VA-SEN 2014
-VA-PRES 2016

All 3 have their reasons for being used and their drawbacks.

VA-GOV in 2013 is the last governor's race in VA so you might think that's the best way to look at things. Except it was after Obama won the White House and there was a very unpopular GOP incumbent. Those could tilt the race.

VA-SEN in 2014 was the last statewide race. Except it was for a different position (Senator and Governor races aren't very similar) and it was during an Obama midterm (so the GOP had more voter enthusiasm).

VA-PRES in 2016 is the most recent result. But turnout in VA is never as high as in Presidential years so it's probably going to miss on how likely people are to vote.

So none of the 3 are perfect, but all can provide you with some useful clues. That's why you'd publish a poll with 2 likely voter models - 1 for the 2014 electorate (which I don't think is reasonable) and a general one.

axeil posted:

And this is the key thing. 2006 was a great year for the Dems, as was 2008. Based on that if you modeled the election to look like 2006 you'd expect the Dems to maintain or expand their margins in 2010, which obviously didn't happen.

Context matters. Things that were reasonable assumptions to make even 2 years ago might not be reasonable ways of modeling the electorate anymore. However, when you are a year out from the election, anyone who tells you they've got a rock-solid turnout model is lying to you, so you run a whole bunch of different scenarios. As we get closer to Nov, 2018 there will be better, more predictive gauges of voter intention.

Is it worrying? Sure. Is it a sign that "lol nothing matters, trump will reign forever" No.

What was the mid-term voter pool like in 2006? "Dems don't vote in mideterms" isn't something carved in stone. A more accurate assumption would be "Members of the incumbent party don't vote in midterms" with 2002 being the sole exception due to 9/11.

axeil posted:

The bigger issue is that it is unlikely that using 2014's turnout model is appropriate for 2018.

It also is the only recent poll showing this kind of result, so people are also skeptical of that aspect too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah if the same group that gave a huge Republican victory now shows a narrow Dem win that points to a huge shift that, with an increase in Dem turnout, would point to larger Dem win in 2018.

Also polling a full year out from the midterms is an exercise in futility in the best of circumstances since so much can and will change.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Keep in mind that this is "Generic D", which rarely matches up to the real deal. Especially depending on what they consider to be "Generic D".

Which is to say, a real Generic Democrat likely will not enjoy the same advantage as a blue cardboard cutout you can project onto.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The hundred-years-out analysis of Obama is going to be "was elected on a populist wave promising left wing reforms, but then once in office was met with right-wing intransigence and was only able to deliver modest incremental reforms

It's actually going to be "was elected on a populist wave promising bipartisan consensus solutions, but then once in office was met with right wing intransigence and was only able to deliver modest incremental reforms"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Keep in mind that this is "Generic D", which rarely matches up to the real deal. Especially depending on what they consider to be "Generic D".

Which is to say, a real Generic Democrat likely will not enjoy the same advantage as a blue cardboard cutout you can project onto.

....so why not run the cardboard cutout?

that guy did better than ossoff in ga-6 last year

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

It's actually going to be "was elected on a populist wave promising bipartisan consensus solutions, but then once in office was met with right wing intransigence and was only able to deliver modest incremental reforms"

So, translation for the average person: was elected on a populist wave promising UHC through moderate bipartisanship, then was unable to deliver because moderate bipartisanship involves getting rightwing democrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JeffersonClay posted:

Nah, Campaign Obama made a lot of promises that were starkly left wing and that he failed to deliver.

Examples:

Closing guantanamo

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/

Go down that list and it's a left-wing dream basket. This is partly because "bipartisan consensus solutions" is a process descriptor, not a policy descriptor; he promised a bipartisan process but promised, and then failed to deliver, left-wing policy.

• Locked thread