Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

to be fair, im hoping we could patch the steam version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clarste posted:

Translating it would involve quite a few more steps for ZUN. Based on what he's said about this, the only reason it's on Steam now is because putting it on Steam is completely trivial now. He's literally just dumping it on Steam so he doesn't have to think about it anymore.

He's such a bum!!!! he could get carpe fulgur or someone to do it with little fuss, I'm sure.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ElMaligno posted:

to be fair, im hoping we could patch the steam version of the game.

I highly doubt the game will be any different from the usual release version. It won't call on anything or recall you to be on Steam to play it, you could just hit it up in the directory.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hiring translators is a fair amount of fuss, really.

Even if the steam version is completely unmoddable all the dialogue is still on the wiki anyway. Not the endings maybe but most of the meat and potatoes anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

He's such a bum!!!! he could get carpe fulgur or someone to do it with little fuss, I'm sure.

Are they even still around?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know!!!!

I have seen Spacedrake post fairly recently but aside from that I dunno if CF is still a thing

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In the case of official products and releases, ZUN's a bit of a control freak. He knows this himself, and that's why he's never wanted to do any official translations. Because he'd want to take a lot of charge on it, doesn't actually know English, and it would be a pain in the rear end, an official translation would both be something he doesn't want to do and also probably turn out bad.

He really loves that fan translations exist, though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He also said in an interview that he thinks fan translations would be better than a professional translation

quote:

Q: If a Western publisher of Japanese PC games approached you to officially translate and publish outside Japan, what would you say?

ZUN: I think if I was approached by something like that, obviously I’d think about it. I’d feel like it would probably be a bit of a bother, and I honestly think I’d probably get sick of the whole process rather quickly. I think it would probably just be a hassle. I would say though, that in terms of would I rather have fan-translations, or a company translate it, I think because Touhou has such a dedicated fan-base, I feel like the fan translations are going to be better than a professional one. I think some of the content of Touhou’s stories and so on, it might be quite difficult even for Japanese speakers to understand, so I feel like, even if it’s translated directly, it won’t make any sense to a lot of people. So I feel like it’s not . . . I’ve been thinking, I might just sell it in the West, in Japanese. I don’t think it’s necessary to speak Japanese to be able to enjoy the game, the artwork, the playing, and so on. Translating stuff takes a long time and can be very difficult.​.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 4, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

good man ZUN knows the score

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
bitch get out of the way

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Gamerofthegame posted:

bitch get out of the way

I mean, shoot and I'll move. In a flash

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I, too, would like my games to be translated by people who don't know the word "barrier".

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I would trust post-UFO fan translations over anything produced by a publisher, except for maybe Xseed, so I think it'll turn out fine. It's come a long way from misinterpreting Cirno's theme title, gratuitous profanity, and stuff about barriers (though how "inchling" got picked over "gnome" is beyond me).

Also, it would not surprise me at all if the Mediascape guys (who are tight with ZUN) help coordinate things by translating parts of the store page and maybe pointing out threads on the community page for where to get patches.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Gamerofthegame posted:

bitch get out of the way

I was really distressed to find this removed from THCRAP, and then very relieved to find there's a patch to add it back in.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

I would trust post-UFO fan translations over anything produced by a publisher, except for maybe Xseed, so I think it'll turn out fine. It's come a long way from misinterpreting Cirno's theme title, gratuitous profanity, and stuff about barriers (though how "inchling" got picked over "gnome" is beyond me).
It's probably actually fine, but I was killed in a tragic barrier-related translation accident, and my vengeful spirit will hold a grudge for 1,000 years.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

leather fedora posted:

(though how "inchling" got picked over "gnome" is beyond me).

Uh... that was me. I pushed for that. I just thought gnome would bring to mind something closer to D&D or Warcraft, and I felt like a lot of people weren't understanding quite how small she was at the time (despite the needle and bowl in her portrait).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If it's not wearing a red pointed hat then it's not a gnome.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

good man ZUN knows the score

To be honest yeah, I think he's right.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
"Inchling" or "lilliputian" are much better and get across her very tiny height than "gnome" or "dwarf" for Shinmyoumaru imo

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

"Inchling" or "lilliputian" are much better and get across her very tiny height than "gnome" or "dwarf" for Shinmyoumaru imo

Agreed. "Gnome" doesn't conjure the right image at all. I'm in agreement with Clarste's take, "Gnome" would evoke the red-hatted sort, "Dwarf" would evoke the D&D style, small bearded gruff dude, neither is quite right.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 5, 2017

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Inchling sounds cuter and fits her character.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I believe "smol bean" is the commonly accepted translation

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Meat Beat Agent posted:

I believe "smol bean" is the commonly accepted translation

I think SiIvagunner trademarked that one.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know!!!!

I have seen Spacedrake post fairly recently but aside from that I dunno if CF is still a thing

Didn't he basically work himself sick to the point of near suicide translating Trails in the Sky?

e: yup, I remembered right: https://kotaku.com/the-curse-of-kiseki-how-one-of-japans-biggest-rpgs-bar-1740055631

Justus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 5, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Justus posted:

Didn't he basically work himself sick to the point of near suicide translating Trails in the Sky?

e: yup, I remembered right: https://kotaku.com/the-curse-of-kiseki-how-one-of-japans-biggest-rpgs-bar-1740055631
jesus christ, I hope he got some therapy

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know!!!!

I glanced at a few tweets from the past few months and saw

https://twitter.com/spacedrakecf/status/880214942640623616

and then

https://twitter.com/spacedrakecf/status/904530034119000064

https://twitter.com/spacedrakecf/status/909893479471267840

so it sounds like he’s doing contract work and can’t discuss what he’s working on right now

but otherwise cf is doing ok but just quiet

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
There was a kickstarter between CF and Cavyhouse (This Starry Midnight developers) to get VA in their next game. It didn't go too well because a VR VN is a pretty drat narrow audience, even if the game doesn't need VR to be played at all.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

El Burbo posted:

He also said in an interview that he thinks fan translations would be better than a professional translation

Do you have a link to this interview?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Do you have a link to this interview?

It's in this book

https://www.amazon.com/Untold-History-Japanese-Game-Developers/dp/0992926025/

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry but gnome is better than inching, although liliputian is best of all

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Species: Thumbelina

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/moiwool/status/927976167826636800

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yes

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I don't like seeing a collar on Kagerou :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wool is good.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SirSlarty posted:

I don't like seeing a collar on Kagerou :(

Please don't kinkshame

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kagerou has a great tit

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Ah, hello El Birdo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hiedano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Gesundheit.