Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Recipes for chipotle aioli? I’ve been craving that poo poo for days.

1 chipotle 2 aioli, combine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Im trying to come up with some cheaper and easy meals i can make while working third shift. Had an idea for something like white rice, some sort of bean like red beans and a can of sauteed sardines in oil. What else would be good and filling here?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captainsalami posted:

Im trying to come up with some cheaper and easy meals i can make while working third shift. Had an idea for something like white rice, some sort of bean like red beans and a can of sauteed sardines in oil. What else would be good and filling here?
This thread is full of suggestions.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looking at the picture of the completed dish, I would say put them in the muffin cups with the pointy end down, and what was the outside of the rolled up dough sticking up.

That did the trick. They came out lovely!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I tried Kenji's Sage and Sausage stuffing today, and need some help tweaking it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

The flavor was perfect, but the texture wasn't. The top was good-pretty crisp, but the inner part was, as he describes, almost custardy and like bread pudding. I don't want that in a stuffing. I like Stove Top stuffing where it's fluffy and just moist enough.

How do you think I could achieve that texture? Less eggs/broth? Not sure how much to decrease it by. Luckily I was trying this out today for a Thanksgiving happening in two weeks, so I've got time to get it right again...just looking for suggestions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Leave the eggs out.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

nwiniwn posted:

So I tried Kenji's Sage and Sausage stuffing today, and need some help tweaking it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

The flavor was perfect, but the texture wasn't. The top was good-pretty crisp, but the inner part was, as he describes, almost custardy and like bread pudding. I don't want that in a stuffing. I like Stove Top stuffing where it's fluffy and just moist enough.

How do you think I could achieve that texture? Less eggs/broth? Not sure how much to decrease it by. Luckily I was trying this out today for a Thanksgiving happening in two weeks, so I've got time to get it right again...just looking for suggestions.

Cook the vegetables longer, leave it uncovered in the oven. I think you want to keep the egg but lose some moisture, since the egg is important for binding.

E: it may be right to leave out one or two eggs, though. I could be wrong.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I can’t seem to get thick chicken breasts (it’s about 1 inch thick) up to an internal temperature of 165 (looked this up as being 100% cooked) while pan frying. I can get it up to about 140-150, but at that point everything else starts looking a bit burned and I don’t want to overcook the rest of it. Any suggestions?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

obi_ant posted:

I can’t seem to get thick chicken breasts (it’s about 1 inch thick) up to an internal temperature of 165 (looked this up as being 100% cooked) while pan frying. I can get it up to about 140-150, but at that point everything else starts looking a bit burned and I don’t want to overcook the rest of it. Any suggestions?

Pound them thin, I always do that when frying chicken cutlets, it also tenderizes them a bit. You want to aim for about a half an inch thick or so, put the breast between two pieces of plastic wrap with a little bit of oil rubbed on it, only like a drop or two to help keep it from sticking too much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Isn't 145-150°F the ideal temp for light meat anyways?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pound them thin, I always do that when frying chicken cutlets, it also tenderizes them a bit. You want to aim for about a half an inch thick or so, put the breast between two pieces of plastic wrap with a little bit of oil rubbed on it, only like a drop or two to help keep it from sticking too much.

I assume I would pound them in before I rub my spices on them? Then I can leave them overnight or something?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

obi_ant posted:

I assume I would pound them in before I rub my spices on them? Then I can leave them overnight or something?

You can rub the spices on before or after, both work. And yeah, you can leave them until the next day, refrigerated obviously.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Use lower heat.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
I just got myself an Instant Pot. I was reading the manual, and it said to never cook with less than 2 cups of liquid in the cooker. However, every hard/soft boiled egg recipe I'm seeing calls for only 1 cup of water.

Is everyone fuckin' crazy and trying to get their poo poo to explode? Or is 1 cup just fine and maybe won't blow me up?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just add the extra water it won't hurt anything or change the timing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

obi_ant posted:

165 for a breast, while is the USDA guideline, is sadness. 145ish unless you're immunocompromised is totally fine and much more delicious.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

pliable posted:

I just got myself an Instant Pot. I was reading the manual, and it said to never cook with less than 2 cups of liquid in the cooker. However, every hard/soft boiled egg recipe I'm seeing calls for only 1 cup of water.

Is everyone fuckin' crazy and trying to get their poo poo to explode? Or is 1 cup just fine and maybe won't blow me up?

I use my instant pot style cooker with less than 1 cup of water all the time. You can get a lot of water from the food in the cooker. You just don't want it to run out of water to turn into steam. 2 cups is a very conservative safety number. For something like eggs, you won't get any water from the food of course, but you also don't need 2 cups unless you are going to cook for a looong time and run out of water.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 5, 2017

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

165 for a breast, while is the USDA guideline, is sadness. 145ish unless you're immunocompromised is totally fine and much more delicious.

Thanks for this tip. I figured as much cause 165 seems a little dry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
165f USDA is for safety, 145f is for tasty.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I made some burgers and they came out okay, but it was a little weird. Like they were flat or something.

I salted and peppered the burgers about two hours before cooking, covered the cookies sheet I had them on with Saran Wrap and put them in the fridge. Is that what made them weird, the salting before?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for this tip. I figured as much cause 165 seems a little dry.

It will depend on your preference / what you're used to. My wife prefers 160 for chicken breast sous vide, while I'd prefer more like 145.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Bob Morales posted:

I made some burgers and they came out okay, but it was a little weird. Like they were flat or something.

I salted and peppered the burgers about two hours before cooking, covered the cookies sheet I had them on with Saran Wrap and put them in the fridge. Is that what made them weird, the salting before?

I've never pre salted but Kenji did an "experiment" and the pre salted patties became mushy and homogenized.

EDIT:

moller fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 6, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gerblyn posted:

It will keep absorbing water and expanding, eventually turning to mush and disintegrating. I added pasta to chicken soup once, and when I took the leftovers out of the fridge a few days later the paste had absorbed all of the soup's liquid.

Sometimes I like leftover phở for that reason. Soft, broth-bloated noodles that fall apart in your mouth... plus a day sitting in broth makes the beef tendon slightly less impossibly chewy. Not entirely so, just less.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bagheera posted:

Rough estimate on what percentage of a whole chicken is meat and skin? I've heard 60%. So a whole chicken at $3/pound is about the same price as boneless chicken pieces at $5/pound.

We regularly buy a whole chicken for roasting as a main dish. We also buy boneless breasts/thighs for other dishes. We think it might be cheaper to buy another whole chicken and cut it up than to buy the boneless bits. We're trying to quantify it. So what percentage of that whole chicken is actual, tasty meat?
I have no idea on the cost-efficiency side, and I don't care. But Step 1 of many, many recipes I've seen is "Cut up a 3-3.5 pound chicken". Skillet-fried chicken. Oven-fried chicken. Chicken and Dumplings. Coq au Vin. Honey-mustard chicken. Chicken tagine. Chicken cacciatore. Those are just the recipes in my 10-year-old Betty Crocker cookbook that start that way, there are zillions more. Cutting up a bird and then turning into awesome supper is fun and satisfying and delicious. Just do that, and worry less about tissue ratios.

Plus the bones-and-whatnot soup stock thing.

I went to the store today and didn't buy a chicken. Now I'm sad and birdless.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Recipes for chipotle aioli? I’ve been craving that poo poo for days.

You make aioli, which is basically mayonnaise for normal people who aren't white.

2 garlic cloves
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
A can of chipotle peppers, drained. (Looks like this)

Cook your garlic with your chipotle peppers, cut it up fine, cook it in the vegetable oil
Get your lemon juice and mustard, beat that poo poo with the eggs
Slowly emmulsify (That means it like your dick) until it goes creamy
If it seperates, beat it some more.
Slowly (like a few drops, maybe a quick splash, don't rush it or I will laugh at you,) add some more oil
Keep going until you are out of Oil, all the flavor is gonna come from the garlic and the chipotle, so get that in there first.

It's a pain in the rear end, so that's the bare minimum you need to make a bit, do 1/4 cup oil per egg yolk. It last for like two weeks before you need to start smelling it.

You could probably do it a lot easier in a food processor, but I'm a classically trained french chef, and I'm not about to go on some low end cuisinart poo poo, work your arm out aioli has like a bagillion calories. That being said, still go slow pouring the oil, if you go to fast (add the oil all at once) you're going to have lovely seperated mayo, and I will laugh at you again.

If it comes out too thick, pour in some of that adobo sauce, or more oil, I'm not your mother live your life the way that makes you happy.

e: editted to be more clear, you're gonna have to beat the poo poo out of that sauce.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 6, 2017

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
You'd think a classically trained French chef would know aioli contains no eggs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey if a bottle of Diet Pepsi was opened, poured, closed and then left at room temp for two days, is it safe to drink still? It has high acidity and benzoate as a preservative.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

You could probably do it a lot easier in a food processor, but I'm a classically trained french chef, and I'm not about to go on some low end cuisinart poo poo, work your arm out aioli has like a bagillion calories. That being said, still go slow, if you go to fast you're going to have lovely mayo, and I will laugh at you again.

:chloe:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nwiniwn posted:

When I've made stovetop stuffing I just use dried bread pieces and all the spices/sausage/etc in a pot, then start slowly adding my hot broth and stirring it until it hits the texture I want. No eggs or measuring the broth, add a little, stir, see if it's right, add more, etc. And no baking.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psychobabble posted:

You'd think a classically trained French chef would know aioli contains no eggs.

Yeah, I guess you're right then.'

:ssh: we started adding eggs to Aioli as early as the beginning of the 20th century, there are 100 year old recipes where you use eggs.

e: I'm hoping this comes off humorous, and not assholish.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if a bottle of Diet Pepsi was opened, poured, closed and then left at room temp for two days, is it safe to drink still? It has high acidity and benzoate as a preservative.

Yeah it's fine.

nwiniwn posted:

Take out the eggs, they will thicken pretty much anything you put them in and are perfect for emulsifying like when making mayo, or generic garlic oil sauce.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 6, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks for all the responses. Kenji tweeted back at me to keep the eggs but reduce the amount of broth. Looking at a lot of recipes, many of them have eggs in them, which I suppose could be good to act as a binder, as someone else mentioned, but I'm just not sure where to go. I like Grand Fromage's idea of just putting everything in and slowly adding the broth until it hits the right consistency though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Turtlicious posted:

It's not working. You sound like a huge dick right now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not working. You sound like a huge dick right now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My b, that wasn't my intent, I'm sorry.

e: I was going for that style where it's like an image macro with a ton of cussing? It didn't pan out well I don't think.

e2: I guess I'm really in hot water on this one.

e3: No but seriously, I'll try to brie better.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 6, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Turtlicious posted:

A can of chipotle peppers, drained. (Looks like this)

A little of those go a long way.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Will hit up the thread for "lesser" cities, but here too want to see if anyone has recommendations for places to eat/drink in Oslo? Going for a weekend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Anyone that comes into a thread all OH HEY I'M A CHEFFY CHEF like you did is automatically a huge douche and perpetuates the stereotype of the lovely cook that worships No Reservations.

It's kinda like vegans, but somehow worse attitudes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Diet Pepsi is basically uninhabitable non-food for almost all living things. It would probably last for years like that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
do you guys put salt in the water before you cook rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Before or together with the rice.