Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nuking the arena was also weird because everyone in that building had already been saved by Supergirl on at least three different occasions. Although maybe to their thinking there's a difference between stopping an alien invasion or diverting a nuclear warhead and directly saving someone from a burning building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

howe_sam posted:

Nuking the arena was also weird because everyone in that building had already been saved by Supergirl on at least three different occasions. Although maybe to their thinking there's a difference between stopping an alien invasion or diverting a nuclear warhead and directly saving someone from a burning building.

Yeah, the cult was going off the rush of being saved from imminent personal danger, rather than general panic and knowing Supergirl's out there somewhere. That's why they approached Ruby and Supermom after she caught the wrecking ball, not after the waterfront attack.

Which suggests that they didn't want her to stop the bomb at the end, since nobody in the stadium would know. They wanted it to go off and for her to rescue people from the aftereffects.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat just catching up but holy poo poo I am really digging this weeks Cult of Supergirl episode. Pretty great.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They really need to do something with James.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah he doesn't work as a vigilante and he doesn't work as a love interest .

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Go full Superdickery on James. I want giant turtle Olson, Olson gets trapped in a bubble, Olson gets turned into a werewolf. Maybe skip the one where Superman makes him marry a gorilla.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I thought James was used quite well this week as Supergirl's Pal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Yeah he doesn't work as a vigilante and he doesn't work as a love interest .

Sounds like he needs get punted over to Legends for little bit of patented Time Idiots brand superhero rehabilitation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really liked this weeks episode . Supergirl is always best when they explore those types of issues.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
A good episode.

Shame about hammering the kids vs. no kids point so hard just because Maggie is leaving the show. It's cliche (I mean, like, drat), but Chyler plays Alex so well, I don't mind.

As a matter of fact, out of the DCCW shows, the only one I'm meh on this year is Arrow. I'm pretty tired of the everything is terrible and sucks and you cannot possibly win or do good and everyone hates you thing. Oh sure, John is a drug addict now because you put your trust in him. Why not? He didn't feel bad enough for murdering his own brother, now you can just throw that on there, too. John's going through some poo poo. And the main villain is the FBI and they are actually right about you being a law-breaking vigilante but that doesn't matter. We won't kill Thea, but we'll sure as hell put in a convenient coma. And Laurel is back, but she's evil, and it's almost (but not quite) driving Quentin back to drinking.

I mean, Flash is bringing back the fun from Season 1. Legends is Legends leaning full in to the dumb and reveling in it. Supergirl is already tackling some heavy themes and doing it better than Arrow. Maybe it's just the acting, but I really care about Kara and Alex and what happens in their lives. Oliver might as well be a cardboard cut-out.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
You can't have a show with relationships without breaking into the want/don't want/can't have kids hot topic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

You can't have a show with relationships without breaking into the want/don't want/can't have kids hot topic.

The kid grenade, destroyer of lives.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

To be honest I am completely shocked that they didn't start this at the bridal shower. The second they started asking trivia about their partner I expected Maggie to not know what Alex's favorite color was or something and that be the start of the CW relationship drama.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I thought James was used quite well this week as Supergirl's Pal.
It's almost like they should be a couple or some-- *is dragged away by the CW secret police*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, the CW secret police are called the GLEEPD.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
ffs why does DC hate Maggie Sawyer's ability to be married

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

ffs why does DC hate Maggie Sawyer's ability to be married

Word is she wants out. I dont blame her, she's often the antagonist.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

Word is she wants out. I dont blame her, she's often the antagonist.

it's not just alex they shut down her comic book marriage to Batwoman too

christ just let the woman be happy in some medium

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

it's not just alex they shut down her comic book marriage to Batwoman too

christ just let the woman be happy in some medium

There was the Superman animated series. They never came out and said it but it was there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this! posted:

There was the Superman animated series. They never came out and said it but it was there.

Yep a woman was holding her hand when she was in the hospital

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
James: *supports and validates Supergirl over and over again through the course of the seasons and particularly in this episode*
Y'all: "Ugh they really need to find something for him to do or send him off!"

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think the kids discussion is a stupid and over-used relationship trial in TV and movies.

I don't get why the show creators supposedly need to break them up if she wants to be less in the show. Just have them get married and happy. Maggie isn't the only police detective in National City and it already feels weird to have her and Alex always meeting eachother at work. Just separate Alex' private and professional lives on the show, have her happy about her home life and worrying about other stuff instead. Winn is still together with Lyra, right? And she's not a season regular because the show focuses on his work at the DEO. Have Alex sporadically mention having to get home to her wife and have Maggie appear in family events and sometimes crossing paths at work. Done. Having her less on the show doesn't mean breaking her up with her girlfriend.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

kjetting posted:

I think the kids discussion is a stupid and over-used relationship trial in TV and movies.

It is used because it is a real deal relationship killer. If a couple don't agree one way or the other there isn't a happy ending for them, period. If they are dead set on writing Maggie off I'm glad they're at least going with a real issue rather than manufactured drama.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

sunday at work posted:

It is used because it is a real deal relationship killer. If a couple don't agree one way or the other there isn't a happy ending for them, period. If they are dead set on writing Maggie off I'm glad they're at least going with a real issue rather than manufactured drama.

Is it, though?
I think most adult couples talk about this stuff and if one isn't into having kids at the moment they agree to not have any, and maybe they change their mind later when they feel ready to have kids.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

kjetting posted:

Is it, though?
I think most adult couples talk about this stuff and if one isn't into having kids at the moment they agree to not have any, and maybe they change their mind later when they feel ready to have kids.

It is loving real. I don't ever want kids, ever ever ever. It's been a deal breaker for a lot of women I've dated, and there have been many who have thought they could change my mind.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

kjetting posted:

Is it, though?

Yes.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BrianWilly posted:

James: *supports and validates Supergirl over and over again through the course of the seasons and particularly in this episode*
Y'all: "Ugh they really need to find something for him to do or send him off!"

Gee, if only there some some other people who support and validate Supergirl. Nope, guess it's only James and not ever other character in this show.

James need something to define him. I'll say they have at least tried, going from "coworker who knows her secret" to boyfriend to boss to vigilante cohort to guy who occasionally gives her advice.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Burning_Monk posted:

Gee, if only there some some other people who support and validate Supergirl. Nope, guess it's only James and not ever other character in this show.

James need something to define him. I'll say they have at least tried, going from "coworker who knows her secret" to boyfriend to boss to vigilante cohort to guy who occasionally gives her advice.

He should just stand around with his shirt off or something. Maybe wear a thong. But keep the camera around the neck so it's classy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kjetting posted:

Is it, though?

My ex tried to bear-trap me into staying in our relationship with a kid. She tried numerous times to get pregnant before I realized she had actual mental problems so I ran like hell.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kjetting posted:

Is it, though?

Killed my 12 year relationship.

My ex 's friend had a kid, she got clucky. Game over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

My ex tried to bear-trap me into staying in our relationship with a kid. She tried numerous times to get pregnant before I realized she had actual mental problems so I ran like hell.
Lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Get a loving vasectomy brah.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

Can't use that tactic in a gay relationship, though.

Makes you think...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I want kids, I don't" is a totally valid and mature reason to end an otherwise good relationship, yes. Continuing on and just hoping someone changes their mind eventually is just kicking the can down the road. Some do it and maybe have happy years ahead, but others end up in unhappy marriages filled with resentment and a lack of satisfaction.

All in all I'm sad is happening but I think they're doing a very good job with Alex really struggling with it and even explaining a bit why Maggie might be set in the idea. And I for one probably would find it really weird if Alex married Maggie and she just never showed up. Because Supergirl does a LOT of "happy family" scenes and it would be weird if Maggie just never went to Kara's apartment. I'd be waiting for the subplot where it turns out Maggie hates Kara.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The whole “want baby/don’t want baby” plot line 100% hinges on Chyler Leigh’s ability to sell that conflict. That last episode, with her breakdown with Kara, showed that she’s totally up to the job. She’s a hell of an actress, and that performance was honestly probably too good for the show it was on. Her and David Harewood are Supergirl’s acting powerhouses.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Renee Montoya? She also hooked up with Batwoman before she took over for Vic Sage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the Superman:TAS episode where Darkseid invades for the first time Maggie gets injured and when she's in the hospital she's visited by a woman who is never directly named. Later at Dan Turpin's funeral you see this woman with her hand on Maggie's shoulder. The episode itself never says her name or what her relationship was but she was listed in the credits as Toby Raines, which is the name of Maggie's girlfriend in the comics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

video proof of the above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlsfrtkxOI

Also, is there any hope the Justice League movie will be this good?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

howe_sam posted:

Also, is there any hope the Justice League movie will be this good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh look, Brainiac-5 is alive(and cast).