Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cloks posted:

I'm not a huge Zoro fan

Woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Sometimes it seems like shonen fans all secretly hate shonen because it's not all jojo one piece or hxh

Like yeah, I agree, excessive reliance on power levels, power creep, and "my number is bigger than yours so you lose" storytelling is bad, but yeesh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I love shounen, the only shounen I've hated enough to quit was Prince of Tennis.

I stuck with Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail until the end, that's how much I love shounen.

God bless shounen.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Sometimes it seems like shonen fans all secretly hate shonen because it's not all jojo one piece or hxh

Like yeah, I agree, excessive reliance on power levels, power creep, and "my number is bigger than yours so you lose" storytelling is bad, but yeesh.

The Shaman King ending makes Naruto's ending look good. Hell it makes Bleach ending look good.

Shaman King ending spoilers:

They get the finale of the tournament but they flat out go The Antagonist is too strong his power level is too high and forfeit without even trying. They then make it seem like they can just get stronger and beat him later before he nukes the world and then they basically give up again when they face him before a Deus Ex train comes with his mom who tells him to stop being a bad boy so the world is saved temporarily

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 6, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also 4Kids called Hao Zeke for some reason and that always cracks me up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

Man I love shounen, the only shounen I've hated enough to quit was Prince of Tennis.

I stuck with Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail until the end, that's how much I love shounen.

God bless shounen.

Shonen owns.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, wait, I also never finished Death Note. Or Bakuman.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

I never read Death Note either but lovely main romance aside, Bakuman was fantastic. Great mangas-within-manga and the behind the scenes look at Jump (some romanticized, some brutal) was fascinating. Hattori is forever one of my favorite bros.

I really gotta read me some Zatch Bell one day, I love me some pure shonen.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Two things I like have been compared to Gash Bell / Zatch Bell, so I should really give it a try.

I always thought it was this cartoony thing cause of the art style and because it played on, uh, Teletoons? Toonami? Whatever that network in Toronto was.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hate-Senpai posted:

God bless shounen.

I couldn't finish Bleach but I did finish Prince of Tennis. Let me tell you: it was worth it entirely to see Ryoma literally go loving Super Saiyan (green hair though, he's too cool to be Goku, he's Broly) with the shittiest of explanations (HE REALLY LOVES TENNIS BUT NOT WINNING OR CLUBS JUST PURELY PLAYING TENNIS SO HE TRANSFORMS. Apparently no one else does, and Ryoma's arrogance and clear love of winning just never happened).

It was only one page but it was so loving ridiculous and out of place it made me laugh incredibly hard and made up for how terrible the rest of the manga is.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I don't know Bakuman (though I've gotten recommendations to read it, so someday) but Death Note just loses a lot of quality after L dies. It's still probably worth reading but the rest just has really awful opponents for Light in L-but-shittier Near and the better but underused Mello.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm not sure Kubo deserves hate for Bleach, it sounded like behind the scenes he was being pushed by an arm injury and just couldn't end the manga.

No, he really does deserve all the flak he gets. Dude just cannot write a story period. All set-up with no delivery, that's the Kubo way!

Bleach is the epitome of how far a once-great manga can fall when your creator runs out of ideas after one good arc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know Bakuman (though I've gotten recommendations to read it, so someday) but Death Note just loses a lot of quality after L dies. It's still probably worth reading but the rest just has really awful opponents for Light in L-but-shittier Near and the better but underused Mello.

If it makes you feel any better, near the end of Bakuman the author, through his self-insert protag, basically gives a big mea culpa on the decline of Death Note post-L and all but admits he ought to have done things differently.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^Yeah but the ultimate irony is He drags out Bakuman for a couple of arcs too long too. :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Someone should make a real panty shot fight manga

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Negima

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

I couldn't finish Bleach but I did finish Prince of Tennis. Let me tell you: it was worth it entirely to see Ryoma literally go loving Super Saiyan (green hair though, he's too cool to be Goku, he's Broly) with the shittiest of explanations (HE REALLY LOVES TENNIS BUT NOT WINNING OR CLUBS JUST PURELY PLAYING TENNIS SO HE TRANSFORMS. Apparently no one else does, and Ryoma's arrogance and clear love of winning just never happened).

It was only one page but it was so loving ridiculous and out of place it made me laugh incredibly hard and made up for how terrible the rest of the manga is.

I still know the exact chapter that made me quit. It was when they introduced this new school including the actual strongest power player, and then the MC's club's power player beat him or something? And then it was Ryoma's turn to fight against his school's opposite, who's also a midget first year like him, and then midget is about to do a smash and everyone from his school is like, "OH gently caress GET DOWN."

I couldn't deal.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's pretty much where I quit Death Note too. I did read what happens after, though.

And it's probably less lack of interest and more the scanning scene not being as big then, cause back then we didn't even have OneManga and scanlators uploaded the chapters directly on their own sites, and if a scanlator's website or team died then all was lost. That's how I lost track of Bleach for a while too, I think, though I came back. Then I quit after Aizen got defeated and came back a few years later for the final arc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hate-Senpai posted:

They put the Death Note in a missile. I'm not sure why.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Julias posted:

^Yeah but the ultimate irony is He drags out Bakuman for a couple of arcs too long too. :v:

:fry:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

I heard about PoT and checked out some recent chapter which opened with

"My 'Bible Tennis'... Defeated?!?"
Zeus: *is a smug greek god*
Zeus: "bla bla bla ancient greek tennis"

So far so good

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 6, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Meme Emulator posted:

Someone should make a real panty shot fight manga

Isn't that what Keijo is?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
No one has mentioned Rurouni Kenshin or Houshin Engi smh.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My Hero Academia is my favorite shonen mostly for personal reasons, but I absolutely love it. Same for stuff like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Black Cat (manga's better), and Shaman King (ending's super dumb but I love a lot of stuff about it)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sharktamer posted:

No one has mentioned Rurouni Kenshin or Houshin Engi smh.

I'd be surprised if many people here haven't read rurouni kenshin

busou renkin tho, that's good fun and probably some people haven't read it

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I like Shokugeki no Soma but I'm also very dumb and like food a lot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SnS is very good and very stupid.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I laughed when the two best chefs on the enemy team had to recharge their haki after a tough food battle recently

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shownen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

show nen

hxh confirmed best

(i think one piece is way better lol)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mraagvpeine posted:

But there are functions for full screen and magnification. Did you hover your mouse in the top right corner?

I used it today and it now looks different and has those features. I don't know why. I think maybe my browser didn't load it properly the first time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Huzzah! posted:

The author of Toriko did a one-shot manga for One Piece's 20th anniversary, his memories of Oda-san when they both started out at the same time. It just got translated

Unsurprisingly, Oda is a cool dude and very handsome.

This was translated in the official release months ago :smuggo:

The chapter was a lot of fun and I'm glad that Katakuri's abilities aren't the result of something like a sugar boost or if he's really hungry. I want to see him beat Katakuri at his best and Katakuri not being able to fight at his best because he did or didn't get to eat wouldn't be a satisfying end. I'm not sure how he beats Katakuri, possibly by doing stupid stuff to break his concentration. Or my original theory that he does something similar to where he dragged Katakuri into the mirror world where knowing it was coming still didn't let Katakuri stop it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Maybe he will repeatedly try to attack Brulee and fake him out when he tries to defend her.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Shaman King’s ending is kinda dumb (and was even worse before they gave the author a chance to spackle over the cracks a few years later), but the volumes that cover the flashback to Yoh and Anna’s first meeting at Mt. Osore remain favorites of mine even after all these years. 18-19 I think? The ones with the samurai cat.

I also enjoyed Flame of Recca but not Samurai Deeper Kyo, weirdly enough. I guess there are a lot fine gradations to shonen punchman comics and our appreciation thereof.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember samurai deeper kyo being really poo poo to the female lead but I can't remember how or even why I thought that

the twist with the split personalities was cool to me at the time tho

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember samurai deeper kyo being really poo poo to the female lead but I can't remember how or even why I thought that

the twist with the split personalities was cool to me at the time tho

She didn't really get to do much, and for like the second quarter of the series she was cursed by the Water Dude with a thing that would kill her, which was why the gang rushed into Mibu territory to beat the 5 mini-bosses and save her life.

And then I forget why they continued to go deeper into Mibu instead of just leaving.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe it was to find Kyo's true body, who knows.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I never read Death Note either but lovely main romance aside, Bakuman was fantastic. Great mangas-within-manga and the behind the scenes look at Jump (some romanticized, some brutal) was fascinating. Hattori is forever one of my favorite bros.

I really gotta read me some Zatch Bell one day, I love me some pure shonen.

Oh man, thank you for reminding me about Zatch Bell. I remember watching bits of the dubbed version as a child and started reading the manga just now. I truly didn't appreciate this enough as a child (but also it was dub so meh)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Shaman King’s ending is kinda dumb (and was even worse before they gave the author a chance to spackle over the cracks a few years later), but the volumes that cover the flashback to Yoh and Anna’s first meeting at Mt. Osore remain favorites of mine even after all these years. 18-19 I think? The ones with the samurai cat.

I also enjoyed Flame of Recca but not Samurai Deeper Kyo, weirdly enough. I guess there are a lot fine gradations to shonen punchman comics and our appreciation thereof.

I remember liking that flashback with matamune too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Knowlue posted:

Oh man, thank you for reminding me about Zatch Bell. I remember watching bits of the dubbed version as a child and started reading the manga just now. I truly didn't appreciate this enough as a child (but also it was dub so meh)

The dub was done by 4kids I think and it was super garbage. They tried super hard to gloss over any mention of demons and all of the violence to children. In a series about demon children fighting one another. I remember one great scene where a bunch of dudes show up with guns and they gave them the one piece treatment and turned all the guns into super soakers. It was real dumb.

Rangpur posted:

Didn't Shaman King also kill off like half its cast on the way to that bad ending?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Nuebot posted:

The dub was done by 4kids I think and it was super garbage. They tried super hard to gloss over any mention of demons and all of the violence to children. In a series about demon children fighting one another. I remember one great scene where a bunch of dudes show up with guns and they gave them the one piece treatment and turned all the guns into super soakers. It was real dumb.

Didn't Shaman King also kill off like half its cast on the way to that bad ending?

It was hella bad. Not quite as awful as 4kids one piece though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
To be fair, supersoakers would arguably work better on most fruit users than regular guns. 4Kids... was right??