Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Yes assembling pre-manufactured parts is easier then refining everything from scratch :rolleyes:

Plus you say that as if there aren't already a dozen+ factories already capable of out producing teslas goal already, and that's just in the US/setting aside the elonflation of that 300k number.

The Hermosillo Plant in Mexico that assembled my Ford ZX2 apparently produces 300,000 cars a year, give or take, and that's just a single average sized assembly plant. When the Tesla plant was NUMMI, it made a similar number of cars.

It would be great for them if they could get that plant running to the level that it was 20 years ago when it was owned by GM and Toyota. Then, in order to compete on a world scale, they only have to build like twenty more factories the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also lol at the idea that cars in 1920 didn't have to be safe or functional or deal with bureaucracy, and that this somehow made Ford's job easier. Obviously the cars were less complicated; they also obviously had to work and to deal with the regulations of their time. The factory also assembled those 800 cars per day with First World War era machinery that predated electronics. Everything was done by hand or with elaborate mechanical systems. And Tesla, despite their best efforts, is still running into plenty of problems building their cars up to a consistent quality standard.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blugu64 posted:

Yes assembling pre-manufactured parts is easier then refining everything from scratch :rolleyes:

Car makers today dont really just assemble a bunch of pre-made parts tho - there is a fuckload of processing onsite. Sure some speciailty parts are from third parties but you still have a lot of raw materials go in that need to be processed. Maybe there's no blast furnace onsite anymore but in all honestly processing the iron and coking coal or aluminium is actually fairly simple compared to what the car maker does with it next. Plus car makers do cast their own blocks and other components still from raw ingots - Tesla dont have ICE to cast so they are more of the lines of get a fuckload of coils and smash them into shapes to weld - that secondry processing is way more complex than the blast furnace part.

Plus you really cant compare a 1920's car process to today at all - a car plant was basically a foundry as that's what cars basically all they required. Cars today you just cant tip molten iron into a sand cast or into a open huge fuckoff forge and bolt the results together... and much of the time too the bits that didnt come out of 100 ton press were third party supplied.

quote:

Plus you say that as if there aren't already a dozen+ factories already capable of out producing teslas goal already, and that's just in the US/setting aside the elonflation of that 300k number.

Most of them are actually owned or controlled / have exlusive agreements by other car makers.

quote:

The factory also assembled those 800 cars per day with First World War era machinery that predated electronics.

With an enormous amount of human staff that cant be done these days (I seriously doubt Tesla would pay for 10 times the humans to employ) , on a much simpler to operate prodution line, in what was basically a foundry with an area to bolt together what came out of the foundry, to a product that... well... didnt exactly work all that well and needed a godawful amount of maintenace and adjustments as soon as it left the production line. You realyl cant compare the two eras at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 2, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ilkhan posted:

I don't have a specific ETA, but the estimator is showing
Long range RWD: 11/2017-1/2018
Standard Range RWD: 1/2018-3/2018
AWD: 9/2018-11/2018

Which I'm ok with, because delivery then would be a treat as I'm going back to school to finish my degree and it would be a nice graduation reward.
Revised dates for me:
first production: 12/17-2/18
Std bat: "early 2018"
AWD: 8/2018/10/2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa0PAg7FfMk

Speaking of old Ford assembly lines.... this might be of interest.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Meanwhile in the Tesla factory

https://imgur.com/gallery/BSiLz

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa0PAg7FfMk

Speaking of old Ford assembly lines.... this might be of interest.

Holy loving poo poo that headbolt/intakebolt/everythingbolt drill press. I got the shivers imagining the poor bastard(s) that had to change the tools on that. :stonklol:

If there was ever a video that deserved Powerhouse for its soundtrack, this is it.

Edit: Holy gently caress that slick-back truck pulling the lunch wagons at 13:55. I WANT IT.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 2, 2017

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Anubis posted:

For the record, my 3's original Oct-Jan expected date has been pushed to Dec-Feb

Yup, same.

Which really sucks, because I wanted the tax credit in 2017.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Not looking good for Tesla.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
The Bolt had its highest selling month in October again.
https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

ClassH posted:

The Bolt had its highest selling month in October again.
https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Wow, what happened to the model S and X sales in September?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Anta posted:

Might be due to CA tax credit being put on hold for a couple months.

Or maybe it's model 3 cannibalizing s/x sales.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Anta posted:

Do you mean October?

Tesla generally prioritizes international sales in the first month of a quarter, so US sales will look anemic. (Take a look at the 1Q numbers for a good example of this.)

Expect an increase in sales numbers in November and an even bigger one in December.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gamesguy posted:

Might be due to CA tax credit being put on hold for a couple months.

Or maybe it's model 3 cannibalizing s/x sales.

The Osborne Effect

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anta posted:

End of quarter push.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Agronox posted:

Do you mean October?

Nah, I mean September, It's more than double the average monthly sales.

Agronox posted:

Tesla generally prioritizes international sales in the first month of a quarter, so US sales will look anemic. (Take a look at the 1Q numbers for a good example of this.)

Expect an increase in sales numbers in November and an even bigger one in December.

ilkhan posted:

End of quarter push.

One of these or both make sense.

You can actually see a three-month pattern in the 2016 numbers. March, June, September, and December have way higher sales than the other months, and the month immediately after has very low sales.

Anta fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 2, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tesla doesn't really do incentives, but they play around with MSRP and models when they want to push sales numbers.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

BEVs are all lease for the foreseeable future. Too much depreciation and too much quick improvement to purchase.

Not always, at least for me. My Leaf ended up costing around $5k (with $5k worth of hail damage to the metal, all plastics/glass repaired for free) and it's got an 8 year/100k mi battery capacity warranty. Sure, the Leaf will be a loving joke compared to the EVs from 2024 or whatever, but even a battery-degraded Leaf will get me around town and the TCO is superb

Plus you can probably crack the pack at the end and part out the cells for a few grand

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Could be bad timing for Tesla if they don't get more model 3s out the door.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/358446-gop-tax-bill-ends-electric-vehicle-tax-credit-overhauls-other

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

While I think they will pull through, it isn't entirely unrealistic that Tesla becomes a sort of EV Duesenberg. The biggest name for a while, then poof gone, decades later enthusiasts can talk about how ahead of its time it was.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ol' Musky is now laying the seeds for when he eventually claims that he totally had level-4 autopilot working, for real, but he just can't show you because the government won't let him.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

While I think they will pull through, it isn't entirely unrealistic that Tesla becomes a sort of EV Duesenberg. The biggest name for a while, then poof gone, decades later enthusiasts can talk about how ahead of its time it was.

The poof gone was called the great depression.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ola posted:

And they both featured a supercharger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S92YHx4Vqe0

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Ol' Musky is now laying the seeds for when he eventually claims that he totally had level-4 autopilot working, for real, but he just can't show you because the government won't let him.

Except they've already released video of a Model S and a Model X driving themselves. Tesla just can't make that available to consumers until the government sets up rules allowing people to fully release control of a vehicle to a computer. The issue there is that that would surely involve their hardware having to measure up to some government standards for reliability, and there's no guarantee that what they're putting in their cars now will meet said standard (it's kind of hard to design something to comply with rules that haven't been written yet).

I've heard that the computer is designed to be easily upgraded, but things could get ugly if their sensors are declared inadequate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Except they've already released video of a Model S and a Model X driving themselves.

It can easily drive itself from A to B today, if you just set requireDriverKeepHandsOnWheel = false. It makes for a good video, if you give it 6 or 7 attempts in a well mapped environment, but it doesn't make a fully fledged L4 autonomous car.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Doug DeMuro got his hands on a Model 3 to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6VqldjTT8

More details in his written article.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

A surprisingly good overview of the car, a lot of the misgivings I had about the giant ipad stapled to the dash don't seem as bad now. I especially like how the two physical scroll wheels are context sensitive, unfortunately switching context still requires eyes off the road. I'm still in the :corsair: camp of touchscreens don't belong in cars but that's looking like more of a personal preference now.

What would be neat is the ability to reconfigure the buttons yourself, for instance if I always want the left wheel to scroll for volume and the left/right to be track select, but the right wheel scrolls for climate control temp and left/right press would be fan speed. Between that and the stalks that'd be 90% of the daily interaction with my car right there, if I need to screw with anything else I can wait for a light or just set it before I leave.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hah, I'd forgotten that it has no key at all and requires a smartphone app to unlock.

I mean, sure, literally everyone buying a model 3 will have a smartphone, but that's still some :jeb: UX

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Tesla story in a nutshell.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Hah, I'd forgotten that it has no key at all and requires a smartphone app to unlock.

I mean, sure, literally everyone buying a model 3 will have a smartphone, but that's still some :jeb: UX
It has a key card doesn't it?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

El Grillo posted:

It has a key card doesn't it?

Yes, it has a RFID keycard..

There is a reader on the driver side B pillar to unlock the car, and a reader just behind the cup holders in the center console to "start" the car with.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Which is handy if you ever drive outside of cellphone range and get out of the car, shutting the door behind you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

It's bt based, not cell signal based.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In 10 years:

"Help guys, my car won't start"
"Have you tried restarting your phone?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

In 10 years:

"Help guys, my car won't start"
"Have you tried restarting your phone?"

Hope you don't drop it/have a lithium battery balloon up (like my last two).

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm not endorsing phone-as-main-key as a good thing, but I'll chime in to say that I've been unable to find my car keys more often than I've lost my phone or run out of charge on my phone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's actually RFID card as main key, phone as optional key. I would keep my RFID card in my phone wallet, so I could lose both at the same time for that ultra modern panic experience.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Someone got locked out of their tesla out in the desert though, did it change between the x and the 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

hifi posted:

Someone got locked out of their tesla out in the desert though, did it change between the x and the 3?

The S and X use a different system for phone-keyless start. Using it requires connectivity to the Tesla "mothership". The phone app tells the mothership to start the car, the mothership then sends a command to the car via its own cellular connection telling it to start. There is no direct communication between phone and car. It is not meant to be a primary method of using the car. In the desert case, the driver left their fob at home, and then drove out to an area where the car and his phone both had no service. Thus when he went to go start the car again, he couldn't.

The 3 is different from what I have been able to ascertain.. You "pair" your phone to the car, and the car recognizes your phone via Bluetooth Low Energy, not requiring any internet connectivity. I would imagine/hope the phone and car do some sort of cryptographic exchange to authenticate...

• Locked thread