Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I made a new unit to see if I could I could.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1193157156

Annoyed I can't mix male and female and rat heads in the same unit.

Owns, and good choice of unit.

Was it difficult overall? Its going to be a year at least til I can try my hand at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dandywalken posted:

Owns, and good choice of unit.

Was it difficult overall? Its going to be a year at least til I can try my hand at it again.

With another working unit mod as a reference it's not difficult at all. Getting used to the pack file manager is the biggest issue, as it can be a little finicky sometimes.

Duplicate line, replace "sea" with "coast", hit save, repeat.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One thing I said earlier I was partly wrong about when modding, you can't actually save changes in the PFM while the assembly kit table viewer is open at the same time. The kit opens the packs like the game does so any time you try to save the PFM you'll just error out and crash. Just make sure the kit is completely closed before saving and it'll work again. This doesnt matter for units/buildings like y'all are talking about, since you can just find a reference mod to copy and skip the look up part.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 6, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sassassin posted:

With another working unit mod as a reference it's not difficult at all. Getting used to the pack file manager is the biggest issue, as it can be a little finicky sometimes.

Duplicate line, replace "sea" with "coast", hit save, repeat.

your high elf mods are Good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jamwad Hilder posted:

your high elf mods are Good

Thank you.

I accidentally left a mod that removes the Ellyrian Reaver dunce hats in my Coast Guard pack. The bloat has well and truly begun.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scandalous posted:

I'm Dawi til I die so I've not experienced the AI bearded tide yet in Mortal Empires. In fact I've been having trouble with getting the various holes to confederate. Zhufbar and Barak Varr are doing well due to my proactively crushing Grimgor's doom stack and bleeding the Vampire Counts down to strength ranking 82, so I kind of understand that they don't feel the need to confed, but even Karak Kadrin with their 1 settlement and half an army are unwilling to join up.

I'm at good relations ('Trusted Friends') with them all and Rank 2 compared to their mid 20s. Is it truly the case that military alliances / defensive alliances affect their readiness to confederate? Should I drop back down to NAP and try to confed on that same turn? Or am I basically boned until they pick a fight they're struggling with? It seems very unintuitive.

Side question, what's the ME lord level cap?

You basically have to make a choice early if you want someone to be your ally, or if you want their lands.

Once they are a military ally it's near impossible to confederate them. Because the AI looks at your strength as an extension of theirs, and thus they'll never be "weaker" then you.

You could break the alliances, but then you'll drop down in trust and they won't want to ally with you for another 100 turns while you go back to Trustworthy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVKiqnLor5E

They are making something for Rome 2?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm kinda cooling on this game

I was really, really looking forward to it but there is little reason to play Mortal Empires over WH1 or the Vortex campaign because the turn times are enormous in comparison to WH1 and you don't really end up fighting new factions anyway unless you are in a particular place to start.

I think the new races are well done and fun and in particular whoever modelled the lizardmen needs a raise but I'm really feeling the lack of a mini campaign to gently caress around with like the beastmen and woodelf ones from 1 which isn't a good sign for the main campaign.

I think mortal empires should have massively culled the chaff from the WH1 map, I've played as Empire and Chaos and its bizzare how identical everything is except the turns are twice as long.
IMO they should have done a Charlemagne style map where its just the playable factions. Maybe have Helves, Empire and Dwarves start off as bigger kingdoms already but beset by enemy races.
I was under the impression thats what they were doing tbh, CA should know by now that total war campaigns get more onerous the more factions you add.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I love that all the same people that posted in every Warhammer video that Warhammer sucks, go back to history are now posting Rome 2 sucks, where is my Medieval 3!!!!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still very much enjoying it but I'm also playing it more sporadically now. My Bretonnia ME campaign is something I just pop into for a few turns at a time, rather than something I sink an hour or two into. I'm honestly mainly waiting for Norsca, because I wanna start a Malekeith campaign but I refuse to fight more horsemen and warhound stacks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

nopantsjack posted:

I'm kinda cooling on this game

I was really, really looking forward to it but there is little reason to play Mortal Empires over WH1 or the Vortex campaign because the turn times are enormous in comparison to WH1 and you don't really end up fighting new factions anyway unless you are in a particular place to start.

I think the new races are well done and fun and in particular whoever modelled the lizardmen needs a raise but I'm really feeling the lack of a mini campaign to gently caress around with like the beastmen and woodelf ones from 1 which isn't a good sign for the main campaign.

I think mortal empires should have massively culled the chaff from the WH1 map, I've played as Empire and Chaos and its bizzare how identical everything is except the turns are twice as long.
IMO they should have done a Charlemagne style map where its just the playable factions. Maybe have Helves, Empire and Dwarves start off as bigger kingdoms already but beset by enemy races.
I was under the impression thats what they were doing tbh, CA should know by now that total war campaigns get more onerous the more factions you add.

I dunno man, in my campaign, instead of expanding more in the Old World after consolidating Reikland, I sailed Karl over and conquered the New World Colonies. I still keep one stack in Reikland to defend it for the money/global recruitment when necessary, but most of my time is spent trampling rats and lizards and elves in Not-South America with my Reiksguard, and it's fun as hell.

Mortal Empires is waaaay more fun as a sandbox where you do stuff like this. Don't play it like a normal campaign.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

We've known for a while that they were doing new DLC for Rome 2 (datamining ect) so I guess they're announcing it this week.

After that there's the Saga Game which is totally Viking Invasion and the new main historical title that comes out before Warhammer 3.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I like ME as a sandbox and it's fun to do wacky "suboptimal" plays like packing up and moving somewhere else. The real killers for me right now are the missing Foundation LL buffs to the old lords and loving Old Norsca. Old Norsca is such a terrible blight on the map that it actively discourages me from wanting to play any factions that have to come into contact with them because of how unsatisfying and awful they are to fight and how titanically huge they get by default due to there being zero competition up there and their massive economic bonuses.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno man, in my campaign, instead of expanding more in the Old World after consolidating Reikland, I sailed Karl over and conquered the New World Colonies. I still keep one stack in Reikland to defend it for the money/global recruitment when necessary, but most of my time is spent trampling rats and lizards and elves in Not-South America with my Reiksguard, and it's fun as hell.

Mortal Empires is waaaay more fun as a sandbox where you do stuff like this. Don't play it like a normal campaign.

all campaigns should be played as sandboxes IMO, i think I've only ever finished 2 campaigns, but for me it becomes much less fun when the x turns you need to get to where you're going with your campaign take twice as long. in WH1 you could bash out teching/moving around to where you want to be in an hour or two, now it takes an evening and "lets wait 4 turns for my gunsmith to build before doing this battle" becomes an ordeal rather than trivial.

maybe I'm in the minority but turn times are easily the most important technical aspect of a TW campaign to me

e: and fwiw i already have the game on SSD and a beefy processor

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

I like ME as a sandbox and it's fun to do wacky "suboptimal" plays like packing up and moving somewhere else. The real killers for me right now are the missing Foundation LL buffs to the old lords and loving Old Norsca. Old Norsca is such a terrible blight on the map that it actively discourages me from wanting to play any factions that have to come into contact with them because of how unsatisfying and awful they are to fight and how titanically huge they get by default due to there being zero competition up there and their massive economic bonuses.

Even on the Vortex Map Old Norsca is pretty insufferable, IMO. It's going to be a huge relief when Norsca finally makes the jump to Warhammer 2.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agreed. I feel if they had consolidated more of the map for the Old World Mortal Empires would be a much more fun experience for everyone involved. Unless you're in a border region you're only playing TWW1 with some QA improvements and considerably longer turn times.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

nopantsjack posted:

maybe I'm in the minority but turn times are easily the most important technical aspect of a TW campaign to me

I definitely agree on that part. I'm usually watching tv or something at the same time so it's not as noticeable to me I guess, but if I wasn't I'd probably go nuts from how long turns are.

Kanos posted:

Yeah, beefing up the Old World LL, adding Norsca/Wintertooth, and bringing the factions back in line with the new races is going to make it a lot better.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Question about Morgur's Minotaur upkeep effect. Does that apply to all armies or just his own?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Question about Morgur's Minotaur upkeep effect. Does that apply to all armies or just his own?

Unless they've changed it, all armies, but ditto for the upkeep reduction on Spawn.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I'm pretty surprised, I assumed it was going to be another Attila dlc. This is rad, Rome 2 still has a lot of faults but it's can still be a blast to play. I wouldnt be surprised if I had a higher active player base.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The last time i played Rome 2 it was broke to the point of being actually unplayable on a technological, gameplay and entertainment level. I just assumed it stayed that way, but they fixed it or?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dongattack posted:

The last time i played Rome 2 it was broke to the point of being actually unplayable on a technological, gameplay and entertainment level. I just assumed it stayed that way, but they fixed it or?

I was never able to get back into it but it certainly got better and is definitely more popular/played than Atilla is.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Oh, Rome 2 is actually a pretty neat game at this point. 2 of the scenario campaigns, Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal at the Gates, in particular are also very fun.

Personally I'm also a bit of a history grog and really enjoy the Divide et Impera mod (though I would recommend anyone who plays that to get the faster battles submod, because without it battles are just interminably slow), which does a lot of ~realism~ stuff (but actually alot of those end up adding up to a pretty fun game experience such as regional recruitment and legionary/auxiliary system and population numbers and classes) as well as add a lot of very pretty units.

e: I also use the mod that replaces the soundtrack with the Rome 1 soundtrack and it's just so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6EIv9GULJU

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 6, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dongattack posted:

They rereleased it as the Emperor Edition which did basically fix things, I remember at first it literally wouldn't run on my PC for months. Though I can't speak for how fun vanilla is now its definitely fully functional now.

For my money divide et impera for Rome 2 is the best TW campaign there is (although I had some great times with Rome Total Realism, Third Age and Shogun 2 back in the day), its main issue is that the turn times become huge because theres lots of extra poo poo going on under the hood.
ironically TW2's turn times have made me go back to play it because they're about on par now.

If you haven't given it a shot grab the faster battles submod (i think Im using a "softcore" mod that makes some other tweaks to generally speed things up) and give either Caesar in Gaul or their custom Macedonian Wars campaign a go (if you like fighting greek variants), the turn times are very quick and you kinda need it since DeI requires you spend quite a bit of time on each of your provinces, Rome is good of course but Massalia in Caesar in Gaul is also pretty drat fun, bringing a unique greek roster to the area

or if you're a history nerdo just pick the people you like most and they will almost certainly be realised in a fun way with a beautiful roster, I've had fun terrorising the greeks as the scythians, taking over africa with numidia or just trading and growing as ptolmaic egypt after playing the new AssCreed.

the battle AI is also considerably more dangerous than in Warhams, it holds forces in reserve and does a reasonably good job of protecting its flanks compared to WH2's BAI where you can get their entire melee core to charge a single hero, although Warham AI is more competent at using cavalry.

if they updated rome 2 to be 64bit and made it run faster I'd basically be sated for TW for the forseeable future, I strongly doubt they can even do that without breaking everything but a man can dream...

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 6, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The weird thing to me is that if ME lengthened turn times, it's by a barely noticeable amount only because my PC is already ancient and I've gotten used to alt-tabbing out for a bit after end turn. Oh well.

I'm legit bummed about the victory conditions being massive in ME though, because I've lost my taste for the Vortex campaign and I'd at least like a victory achievement for Lizardmen and Skaven.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ammanas posted:

I'm pretty surprised, I assumed it was going to be another Attila dlc. This is rad, Rome 2 still has a lot of faults but it's can still be a blast to play. I wouldnt be surprised if I had a higher active player base.

It is especially rad because it sounds like it won't just be a DLC, but also a free update Emperor Edition style. I wonder if we'll finally get family again.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

toasterwarrior posted:

The weird thing to me is that if ME lengthened turn times, it's by a barely noticeable amount only because my PC is already ancient and I've gotten used to alt-tabbing out for a bit after end turn. Oh well.

I'm legit bummed about the victory conditions being massive in ME though, because I've lost my taste for the Vortex campaign and I'd at least like a victory achievement for Lizardmen and Skaven.

alt+tabbing will slow your turn times because the CPU doesn't have focus and will run slower for the app. if you stay focused it'll be faster, but probably more boring. just FYI

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Alt tab out to start a youtube video or whatever and then alt tab back in like a pro.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Im genuinely considering a 2nd monitor just to do poo poo while ME turns run.

It's a critical flaw with ME but I don't know what you do to fix it. Autoresolve calcs are already generally hosed up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Plavski posted:

alt+tabbing will slow your turn times because the CPU doesn't have focus and will run slower for the app. if you stay focused it'll be faster, but probably more boring. just FYI

Huh, didn't know that. Well, a few seconds is worth doing something else more interesting, but thanks anyway for the knowledge!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Alt tabbing before the turns actually start processing can hard lock your game as well if you play fullscreen. I think fullscreen windowed is okay, but I can't remember offhand.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 6, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the trick is to have a tablet or phone or something to read while turns process

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mazz posted:

Alt tabbing before the turns actually start processing can hard lock your game as well if you play fullscreen. I think fullscreen windowed is okay, but I can't remember offhand.

From what I've been able to tell it's a problem of tabbing out while the game crunches battle calculations. If the AI whose turn it is isn't doing a battle when you tab, it's fine.

Playing in fullscreen windowed does solve the hardlock problem but has a slight dip in performance (from my 'eye test' alone ymmv)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

nopantsjack posted:

all campaigns should be played as sandboxes IMO, i think I've only ever finished 2 campaigns, but for me it becomes much less fun when the x turns you need to get to where you're going with your campaign take twice as long. in WH1 you could bash out teching/moving around to where you want to be in an hour or two, now it takes an evening and "lets wait 4 turns for my gunsmith to build before doing this battle" becomes an ordeal rather than trivial.

I definitely agree, and it's made even worse then your fighting with factions that fill a zone with corruption, so you spend even more time just trying to level off before moving forward.

I think I'm going to put together a mod that reduces building cost, build time, and increases growth for settlements so basically you offset all the added turn time with just less turns required. Not drastically so, but basically shave 25-50% off some of the later stuff that takes 5+ turns or whatever. Instead of waiting 6 turns to do your next thing, maybe cut it down to 3-4, and increasing the stuff happening in each turn.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

lol if you're not 2 monitor master race and don't shitpost while the game turns

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

It's a big help to turn times if you click the camera icon in the upper left corner (I think it only shows up when the turn is processing?) and change the default settings. I turn the camera off for allied and neutral armies and heroes, and turn the animations to "fastest" for enemies. There's also a "faster camera" mod I use too.

I think they fundamentally need to rethink the engine or scope of the game to better balance wait time vs. features/map size, but the above shortcuts can help in the here-and-now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The Bramble posted:

It's a big help to turn times if you click the camera icon in the upper left corner (I think it only shows up when the turn is processing?) and change the default settings. I turn the camera off for allied and neutral armies and heroes, and turn the animations to "fastest" for enemies. There's also a "faster camera" mod I use too.

This is a Pro Tip, faster camera is a pretty critical mod if you've got vision anywhere further than your own borders, or even if your own borders are more than a screen or so away.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

You really cannot appease Total War grogs. They've been bitching ENDLESSLY for a historically based game since before Warhammer was even released, so CA teases something for Rome 2 or Attila and they complain that it's not Medieval 3. If it was Medieval 3, they'd probably bitch that it's not Empire 2.

They don't want to play Pontus!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

God someone please mod Pontus into ME.

e: amazing that CA haven't done an april fools about it really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
For some reason, I couldn't get anything at all out of that Rome 2 trailer other than a completely silent title screen. Therefore, I can only conclude Skaven are coming to Rome 2, followed by the wood elves arriving in Shogun 2.