Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm only giddy as gently caress, because not even two months ago, I didn't know poo poo about this and a friend of mine told me what had happened with such fellonious glee.

I'm gonna try to look for someone that wrote up a pretty comprehensive tl;dr version for me in the Germany thread, but the quickest tl;dr I can come up with is: Volkswagen was pretty much the tip of the ice berg, and VW-Daimler-BMW had a massive cartel-tier operation of conspiracy to commit fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do German captains of industry plot their evil schemes over liters of beer and oversized pretzels? Because if that's the case, I'm on board with the whole emissions thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm only giddy as gently caress, because not even two months ago, I didn't know poo poo about this and a friend of mine told me what had happened with such fellonious glee.

I'm gonna try to look for someone that wrote up a pretty comprehensive tl;dr version for me in the Germany thread, but the quickest tl;dr I can come up with is: Volkswagen was pretty much the tip of the ice berg, and VW-Daimler-BMW had a massive cartel-tier operation of conspiracy to commit fraud.

I thought this was well known. Basically every german manufacturer was doing exactly what VW was doing to skirt emissions standards.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Think PEDs in competitive cycling, but with cars, and there's five Lance Armstrongs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At least the BMW diesels have an emissions control system that could work.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, I want to hear more about these pretzcycles.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought this was well known. Basically every german manufacturer was doing exactly what VW was doing to skirt emissions standards.

It's not even just that they all individually did it, it's that they all met thousands of times to discuss how to do it more efficiently while sitting around a Hofbräuhaus table wielding pig's knuckles, pretzels, and foaming beer steins.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's not even just that they all individually did it, it's that they all met thousands of times to discuss how to do it more efficiently while sitting around a Hofbräuhaus table wielding pig's knuckles, pretzels, and foaming beer steins.

Before taking three weeks off in August with no access to email?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Madurai posted:

Wait, I want to hear more about these pretzcycles.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Having been to Milwaukee I can safely say this is accurate.

Milwaukee rules.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Think PEDs in competitive cycling, but with cars, and there's five Lance Armstrongs.

Lances Armstrong
:eng99:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lances Armstrong

Okay, this made my day

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lances Armstrong

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Having been to Milwaukee I can safely say this is accurate.

Milwaukee rules.

Yeah, I like it here. At one point not too far before WWI it had more German speakers than English speakers, which is probably where that cartoon originated from.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I TOLD YOU TO STOP THROWING COPIES OF ATLAS SHRUGGED AT MY DOG

https://twitter.com/brookefoxnews/status/927621878214258688

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Is that supposed to be better? Because it sounds like it's saying hey don't worry these two dudes successfully found something else besides their considerable personal and political differences to be worth beating the gently caress out of a guy for!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I mean, how thin of a veneer of reason donyou even need to justify patriotism like that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I sure hope Trump doesn't visit nz
Although apparently he called our equine minister to congratulate her on winning and told her he had followed the race with interest - yeah right. Half our own media can't understand how the party with the largest vote share isn't in power, he sure as gently caress won't

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Someone slept with someone else’s wife.

Or robbed their dog of healthcare unclear so far.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ok so the guy ran onto Rand Paul's property and tackled Paul from behind, per the arrest warrant. Weeeeeeird.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/927632780799995905

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Believing the defendant to be deathly allergic to bees I tackled him away from a nest he was about to step on in order to save him from sure death, a son his healthcare would be unable to cover him. Regardless of the innnacuracy in my knowledge of his allergy and the placement of said bees nest my reasoning was to save him from himself, and you must acquit."

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Although apparently he called our equine minister to congratulate her on winning and told her he had followed the race with interest - yeah right. Half our own media can't understand how the party with the largest vote share isn't in power, he sure as gently caress won't

What are you talking about he should understand perfectly.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

He understands just fine. Your PM got the largest number of votes in the electoral college, and would have gotten the most votes overall if it hadn't been for all the voter fraud.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

M_Gargantua posted:

"Believing the defendant to be deathly allergic to bees I tackled him away from a nest he was about to step on in order to save him from sure death, a son his healthcare would be unable to cover him. Regardless of the innnacuracy in my knowledge of his allergy and the placement of said bees nest my reasoning was to save him from himself, and you must acquit."

Your honor, I saw “Good Girl” or whatever that movie where Macullay Culkin dies from bee stings. Can’t judge a man based on bees.”

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soulex posted:

Your honor, I saw “Good Girl” or whatever that movie where Macullay Culkin dies from bee stings. Can’t judge a man based on bees.”

He was trying to save Rand from his mother coming to drop him off a cliff

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/927637248815726592
Lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
See you chums on the other side.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

I TOLD YOU TO STOP THROWING COPIES OF ATLAS SHRUGGED AT MY DOG

OH YEAH? WELL YOUR HOSTAS ARE poo poo AND YOUR LAWN IS PERENNIAL RYE INSTEAD OF KENTUCKY BLUE.

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/927641651044024320

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, not going to vacation there anytime soon. I'm thinking the Caucasus instead Not Chechnya or Dagestan

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

2017 moves fast. Seems like they were purging family rivals just a month ago

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ceiling fan posted:

He understands just fine. Your PM got the largest number of votes in the electoral college, and would have gotten the most votes overall if it hadn't been for all the voter fraud.

Ok fair point

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If Rand didn't want these thibfs happening to him he could have paid for private security or altered his behavior. Now I suppose he wants police protection and the tax payer to foot his medical bills. Parasite.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm actually amazed that a war has started and the Decorative Hate Squash or his Twitter-making GBS threads had nothing to do with it. Thanks, humanity, for making me feel like we all suck together.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm actually amazed that a war has started and the Decorative Hate Squash or his Twitter-making GBS threads had nothing to do with it. Thanks, humanity, for making me feel like we all suck together.
They might not be acting up quite this much with a normal president in charge.

Lebanon doesn't have a PM right now so I'm wondering who actually declared war. Some intern in Hezbollah's political wing got cute on Twitter when his boss stepped out to take a poo poo?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Are they going to let this fizzle out like the campagin to liberate Qatar or they going to go all in with the blooded, veteran divisions fresh from the battlefields of Yemen?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

And the Lebanese prime minister just resigned too. This is very weird.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, not going to vacation there anytime soon. I'm thinking the Caucasus instead Not Chechnya or Dagestan

I heard Georgia is lovely. Would still recommend Jordan for that Levant feel.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Casimir Radon posted:

They might not be acting up quite this much with a normal president in charge.

Lebanon doesn't have a PM right now so I'm wondering who actually declared war. Some intern in Hezbollah's political wing got cute on Twitter when his boss stepped out to take a poo poo?

Making it look like the other guy started it is an art with origins lost to the sands of time.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

"Saudi Gulf affairs minister Thamer al-Sabhan told Al-Arabiya TV that Saad al-Hariri, who announced his resignation as Lebanon's prime minister on Saturday, had been told that acts of "aggression" by Hezbollah "were considered acts of a declaration of war against Saudi Arabia by Lebanon and by the Lebanese Party of the Devil."

This is all there is to it. Not exactly Germany invading Belgium so I wouldn't get -too- worked up just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
What's the international law stance on going "they declared war on us" and following up with, like, an actual war?

Oh wait it doesn't matter because who the gently caress's gonna try to sanction Saudi loving Arabia lol

• Locked thread