Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pekinduck posted:

It should be a requirement to actually work in a restraunt before you start one. 99% would never want anything to do with a restraunt again, 1% would be insane enough to actually have what it takes.

The market takes care of that problem.

Gettin' pummeled in the face by the invisible hand over the course of a few months after putting your life savings into a tapas and olive bar is a cruel lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

You buried the lede.

quote:

Me: *stammering* “You bought yourself a new purse? Well, I would highly recommend that you return it so you can pay the shop.”

Caller: “I can’t do that; I already used it, and it’s been a few weeks, so I don’t know if I can return it anymore.”

Me: “Just to confirm, you are saying that you received a check that we wrote to you for the repairs of the vehicle, and you cashed that check at a check-cashing service and spent it on a new purse?”

Caller: “Yes, but this is your customer’s fault for hitting me. So, you have to pay to fix the car.”

Me: “No, we already paid for it; we don’t owe for anything more.”

Caller: “No, you have to pay to get my car out of the shop. You promised me you guys would cover everything.”

Me: “We did pay for everything; you just chose to use the money on a new purse, and we certainly do not owe for a new purse!”

Caller: “You better pay for it, or I’m going to say that I was injured, and then you’ll have to pay for that, too! I’ll get a lawyer and sue you!”

That's the magic phrase that allows you to discontinue the call and possibly their contact.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Haifisch posted:

And it'd need to be actual work, not the "faff around making salads and chopping vegetables for three months" thing the dude in the Toronto story did.

Yeah really , he actually had a golden opportunity to see first hand how a restaurant runs top to bottom and he just did the bare minimum.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

canyoneer posted:

The market takes care of that problem.

Gettin' pummeled in the face by the invisible hand over the course of a few months after putting your life savings into a tapas and olive bar is a cruel lesson.

My theory is that, like the girl who got her eyeballs tattooed, these people always need to share their sad stories to warn other people because convincing themselves that really it could happen to anybody is the only way they can get out of bed in the morning. Predictably, the venn diagram overlaps almost perfectly between Dumb People Who Do Dumb Things and People Who Think Cautionary Tales Don't Apply To Them so we'll get stories like these until humans go extinct.

quote:

I’m sharing my story as a cautionary tale to other amateurs who have big ideas: don’t even think about it. Stick to your dinner parties. You’ll be better off.

quote:

Catt Gallinger, a 24-year-old from Ottawa, got a new tattoo this month, and it could cost her an eye. The former pet nutritionist received a sclera tattoo, a body modification procedure that involves tattooing the eyeball, and has lost partial vision as a result. There’s a possibility she could end up losing her eye altogether.

Gallinger is now telling her story in an effort to spread the word about the dangers of sclera tattoos.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just the idea of a sclera tattoo is making one of my eyelids twitch involuntarily. :stonk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Pet nutritionist sounds like a font of BEM right there too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FrozenVent posted:

Pet nutritionist sounds like a font of BEM right there too.

How do you ever think she's gonna get that lucrative career as a Dog Chef unless she puts in the kibble building up experience as a pet nutritionist?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

My favorite people who talk about owning a restaurant/bar are the people who have never worked at either.

That's my dream. Well, aside from owning a fleet of blimps and taking over the skies of New York as "Sky Admiral Flint Broadside."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7b6aey/looking_at_paying_6k_for_a_hobby_trying_to_decide/

quote:

So Ill keep this as short as possible. I am 21 and make 28k take home annually. I live at home with no rent or food expenses.

I also have about 9k in credit card debt. I will also need a new car within the next year. I also want to buy a house/land within the next 5 years.

There is a hobby I have been intching to get involved with and recently I got a really good opportunity to buy the gear and get training for less than half price, however it is still 6k total.

I could wait to get into the hobby but end up paying close to 14k when I do, or I could pay off the equipment and get the deal.

I started off leaning buy the hobby stuff and keep living but that ever growing adult conscience is saying to keep my money and delay the hobby despite it seeming inefficient.
What do I do?

The hobby in question? Paramotoring.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

How do I do this?

Log onto chase, click "See Balance" under Amazon Prime Rewards in the summary box near the top. Click Redeem > Redeem Rewards. Near the bottom of the next page is a Cash Back box. Click Redeem Now and boom.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is actually a GWM choice because he can probably kill himself doing that before his debt catches up to him.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ashcans posted:

Yea, the way that many small restaurants (and really a lot of small businesses) survive is by having the owner put in ridiculous amounts of work with no real commensurate pay. If you can generate 80+ hours of labor below minimum wage (more if you have kids involved!) then you can sure shave down those necessary expenses.

This is basically the Canadian dream.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WTF?

I was certain it was going to be bitcoin.

I wonder if the gear he's buying is from someone who became a paraplegic while paramotoring.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I don't think this thread takes avocados seriously enough. In New Zealand you protect avocados with razor wire because this is serious business.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/lo...be-investigated

The BWM? The price people are paying.

quote:

Earlier this year, avocado prices reached record highs - selling for more than $7 each.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Panfilo posted:

Just the idea of a sclera tattoo is making one of my eyelids twitch involuntarily. :stonk:

Why does she feel she needs to spread the word about the danger of getting your eye tattooed when that is just self-evident to everyone not insane?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Enfys posted:

Why does she feel she needs to spread the word about the danger of getting your eye tattooed when that is just self-evident to everyone not insane?

Careful now, you'll bring down the ultra-defensive wrath of tattooed (not necessarily of the eye) goons.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

And it'd need to be actual work, not the "faff around making salads and chopping vegetables for three months" thing the dude in the Toronto story did.
Yeah, when he said "leisurely chop veggies" I knew he was going to fail. Nothing in the restaurant business is done leisurely, not even the day drinking.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, when he said "leisurely chop veggies" I knew he was going to fail. Nothing in the restaurant business is done leisurely, not even the day drinking.

Man, he was probably the worst person to work next to.

"Yeah I've got big things planned! Thrice fried potato chips. You should have seen it, everyone loved me at the food fair. Why doesn't everyone start their own restaurants?"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

notalwaysright is purestrain stdh.txt. iirc its editors have admitted to embellishing submitted stories before publishing them.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
After a short vignette she yells "AND THAT'S WHY YOU NEVER TATTOO YOUR EYEBALL"

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

he should just stick to motorboating instead. much cheaper.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7b6zgi/spouse_just_informed_me_he_accrued_83k_in_debt/

quote:

My husband just informed me he has spent $83k on credit cards over the past few years. He also has taken a 401k loan of $34k. Obviously I’m floored. He’s always been really bad with money so I’ve had sole control over the finances since we met. But I got lax and started to trust him and this happened.
On top of everything, we just moved half way across the country for my job and bought a house in Missouri.
There is no way we can afford these payments. I’ve crunched the numbers and we can scrape together another $1,200 a month to pay towards this but the minimums are $1,600 a month (so far, they will likely go up once the statements post). I’ve consulted a lawyer who recommended Chapter 13 for just his debt based on our income but those payments are $1,750 a month. She assured me that wouldn’t affect my credit.
I also have great credit, a decent retirement, and investments which frankly I’m not willing to sacrifice to help fix his gently caress up.
He earns $105k a year. I earn $82.5k a year. We have about $25k in legitimate credit card debt (in my name to prevent him from having access). Our house is worth $305k and we have a loan out of about $295k. We also sold his car which we owned out right for $12k.
I don’t know how else I can handle this. The way I see it, it boils down to two choices:
Default on the payments for roughly 6 months, while setting aside those payments, and try to negotiate down the debt.
Divorce, get mandatory child support and possibly spousal support, and then maybe he can qualify for Chapter 7 without jeopardizing the house or my assets.
Any thoughts, solutions or input is greatly welcome.
Edit:
Income after taxes, insurance, and 401k loan: $6,810
Utilities: $240 Phone: $185 Car Insurance: $223 Car Loan: $350 “Legitimate” CC Debt: $650 Life Insurance: $70 Mortgage: $2,150 Grocery, entertainment, gas: $600 Daycare: $750 Student Loans: $1000

I'm baffled.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
WTF did he spend $117k on without his wife noticing?

BWM leaving $400k in gold coins in a safe in your pantry.

Super BWM stealing $160k in gold coins and selling just over half of them for $25k.

http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...k&ICID=ref_fark

quote:

The 80 coins were worth $2,000 each, totaling a value of around $160,000, according to the arrest report.

Investigators discovered that Ceballos sold 44 of the gold coins at a local pawn shop for almost $25,000, but the coins had an actual value of around $90,000

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Devian666 posted:

WTF did he spend $117k on without his w

[quote="Devian666" post="478137770"]
WTF did he spend $117k on without his wife noticing?

No kidding. I’m a little confused if it’s $83k in credit card debt, or that’s just how much he spent. I also can’t figure out what the hell she means by $25k in legitimate CC debt.

They also bought a house with almost no money down, so it’s obvious that even though she was in charge of the finances, they were still no great at saving money.

Edit: their income is $6,810 a month net, but they make a combined $15,580 gross. Something is hosed up here.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

They also bought a house with almost no money down, so it’s obvious that even though she was in charge of the finances, they were still no great at saving money.

If I understand correctly buying a house with no money down involves significantly higher interest rates. That would make the mortgage payments higher again.

There could be some Bad With Mathematics as their income is high but they have no money, and have no idea what they're spending it on.

quote:

This whole post is one of the weirdest I've ever seen on PF

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 7, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Devian666 posted:

If I understand correctly buying a house with no money down involves significantly higher interest rates. That would make the mortgage payments higher again.

Also involves PMI,which is BWM. The 'legitimate' credit card debt is anything in her name, lol.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
My favourite thing in that idiot's story, besides the fact that he opened up a restaurant at kingston/vic park, which is a biblical level shithole, is that he loving stole 23 grand in taxes that he was supposed to have remitted to the government and tried to hide behind his corporate structure to avoid paying the piper.

I worked for a security company a long time ago that got shut because the VP nicked all the payroll tax remittances and put it into his idiot wife's printing company. Security company no longer exists, shockingly. The CRA doesn't have much of a sense of humour.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It sounds like the $117k has been spent on eating out, various purchases and tyres/parts/fees for racing his car. No wonder all that money is gone it sounds like he's trying to race like a pro without sponsorship, etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OP posted:

It was literally having money to pick the tab up at a restaurant with friends, helping his family members out, buying tires for his car to go racing, computer parts, video games, car parts (which were totaled with the car), and junk food. Really nothing of value.

I still find it hard to believe gambling and/or drugs doesn't come in there somewhere. OP say she's seen statements, but there's still $34k of 401k loan money unaccounted for.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

No kidding. I’m a little confused if it’s $83k in credit card debt, or that’s just how much he spent. I also can’t figure out what the hell she means by $25k in legitimate CC debt.

Edit: their income is $6,810 a month net, but they make a combined $15,580 gross. Something is hosed up here.

there's also the 401k loan included in that gross -> net calculation.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

I still find it hard to believe gambling and/or drugs doesn't come in there somewhere. OP say she's seen statements, but there's still $34k of 401k loan money unaccounted for.

Addicted to car racing. Additional BWM is no sponsors and not setting up his hobby as a business to get tax write offs. They've missed out on a good way to mitigate the costs and then financed it all at credit card rates.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Phanatic posted:

If it were a better friendship the guy would have said "No." Giving more rope to someone who is trying to tie a noose around his own neck isn't a great thing to do. If this guy had to go out and get a real job in a restaurant to get enough experience for his liquor license, instead of just dicking around doing light prep work at his friend's place, he might have realized that the restaurant work is actually hard work and not just something you can cruise through while hiding in the basement and drinking cider. If his friend hadn't cut him a deal on rent, helped him purchase the place, and so on, maybe he wouldn't have gotten so massively in debt.

To be fair, his friend did try to warn him and his response was *gulps beer* "well you did it, so how hard could it be :smugdog::chord::newt: :smug:". Maybe not the coolest thing to do, but certainly understandable that he'd step back and let Mister "I don't need to know anything about business to know I'm smarter than you" Office Drone Analyst fail and then be there to pick up the pieces since he obviously wasn't going to listen to anyone's advice.

E:

Devian666 posted:

BWM leaving $400k in gold coins in a safe in your pantry.

Super BWM stealing $160k in gold coins and selling just over half of them for $25k.

http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...k&ICID=ref_fark

But how would anyone know about the gold...

quote:

The female victim said she told Ceballos’ wife what was in the safe, and she also told officers Ceballos did repair work around their home, the Palm Beach Post reported.

Oh. :psyduck: why the gently caress would you tell anyone that you have almost half a million in gold hidden in your house ? The only reason I can see for doing that is if you're about to die, or they are.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 7, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You forgot about the rifle slung on his back. I think he actually ran a saloon in the old west.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I also can’t figure out what the hell she means by $25k in legitimate CC debt.

quote:

Not at all. I admit the credit card debt got away from me but it’s remained steady at that point for about 10 years. Most of it was accrued paying for our wedding.

10 years of credit card interest :eyepop:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Inept posted:

10 years of credit card interest :eyepop:

But don't worry, SHE is financially responsible!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
10k equity on a 305k home with nearly 200k gross income, ay carumba.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Their poor kids are hosed :(

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t know anything about mortgages since I’m just starting to save to be able to buy a house in five years and common sense tells me the more I can put down the better (and that’s the extent of my home buying knowledge at this point) but even I’m lolling at owing $295k on a $305k house. Maybe I can just save for six months and accomplish one of my life goals super early!!!

How much of a risk is a market collapse on that? Being upside down on your mortgage is like... super bad isn’t it?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I like the undertone in her post of “I’m the responsible adult here, he’s the out of control idiot.” :smuggo:

She’s good with money relative to him in the way that a dumpster fire is good relative to a raging tire fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don’t know anything about mortgages since I’m just starting to save to be able to buy a house in five years and common sense tells me the more I can put down the better (and that’s the extent of my home buying knowledge at this point) but even I’m lolling at owing $295k on a $305k house. Maybe I can just save for six months and accomplish one of my life goals super early!!!

How much of a risk is a market collapse on that? Being upside down on your mortgage is like... super bad isn’t it?

If you can put down 10-20% you will get a better interest rate and when you owe less your monthly payment is lower. A typical mortgage is a table mortgage so it'll be the same payment for 30 or 15 years. If you save for six months you're out performing 60-80% of the population.

The risk of collapse for them is if they can't make the mortgage payments then the bank sells their house and they end up still owing the bank money. If it's upside down some states have provisions to deal with that but I'm no experts on the details of that. They may be able to walk away, or they may be on the hook. At least they aren't underwater right now.