Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

business hammocks posted:

He has had to make up multiple dumb internet identities because he has become such a joke to gamergate people that they stopped taking him seriously. Think about that.

:trumppop:

Verisimilidude posted:

from a cursory glance this looks like destiny and maybe Lauren Southern are the only people genuinely trying to have a reasoned debate while everyone else is farting around with bullshit talking points, memes, and Gotcha! Politics

Destiny's a masochist. That's all I can think, at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Holy poo poo, I couldn't even make it 5 minutes after clicking on the timestamp. What the hell. "Two resumes are identical, one has a black name, one has a white name. Black name has 50% less chance of getting a call back"

"well you see black people carry themselves differently and commit more crime"

And the point brought up about classism seems salient until you spend a couple minutes really thinking about why a name like Lakisha and a name like Jamal have these class-based connotations surrounding them, as well as the commonality of names like Lakisha and Jamal versus, in Lauren Southern's view, equally low-class white names like Billy Bob and, literally, a completely made up over-the-top redneck name that no one on earth actually has. It's not an issue of both classism AND racial inequality, it's just classism because from her own perspective racial inequality doesn't exist except against white people, who she claims have a harder time getting hired because of AA. Ironically, the study they were discussing actually manages to semi-debunk the idea that AA is ruining the lives of white people because even if those companies in the study were more likely to hire black people the statistics would have at the very least evened out between the two types of names.

And then the nerve of those right-wing goons "ironically" calling Destiny a racist and a Nazi

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 6, 2017

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
i just can't believe destiny classified Laura Southern as a "centrist". i mean, it was probably in jest, but, she's been gifting the alt-lite/right train for awhile now

i guess the overton window of that group is just hosed beyond belief

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Kjoery posted:

if someone could grab some hilights/timestamps from this, that'd be swell. it seems like a goldmine, but jesus christ it's a clusterfuck

If you want just the debate portion and would also prefer to see the video/avatars of the speakers Southern posted it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qsG_6bQ_8

Destiny's video beyond this I think his just him reviewing the debate and talking to his followers.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 6, 2017

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The fact that Mr. Metokur was let in to do his trolling bullshit should tell you all you need to know about the level of discourse in there.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

fallenturtle posted:

If you want just the debate portion and would also prefer to see the video/avatars of the speakers Southern posted it here:
giving ms. White Genocide Is Real clicks is probably not a good idea, but holy poo poo the chuds in the comments section fukken love Mr. Internet Aristocrat

also:

dang this dude's salty

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
As someone who's half African I've always despised people who mock African American name choices. Like really? Phonetically a lot of them are pretty drat close to a lot of African names and Swahili words. They are literally trying to make their own heritage because theirs was taken from them. They literally do not know what country their ancestors came from and meanwhile these bigots who are mocking them/not hiring them because of their names are always happy to spout bullshit about their lineage. Why is there no *insert white European* history month (which totally already exists). Where the gently caress is the Nigerian/Tanzanian/Kenyan/Congolese month you heaps of hot garbage?

Also lol at that dude doing a "Huh that's very stereotypical thing to say. Maybe you are the real bigot sir!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The PYF bad names thread is always a bit awkward to read honesly because half of it is laughing at black people.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Kjoery posted:

giving ms. White Genocide Is Real clicks is probably not a good idea, but holy poo poo the chuds in the comments section fukken love Mr. Internet Aristocrat

also:

dang this dude's salty

Holy poo poo, that Nick J guy is super smug looking.

Edit: Theryn taking down Roaming for her Spencer interview at around 27 minutes in was awesome.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 6, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sarcopenia posted:

As someone who's half African I've always despised people who mock African American name choices. Like really? Phonetically a lot of them are pretty drat close to a lot of African names and Swahili words. They are literally trying to make their own heritage because theirs was taken from them. They literally do not know what country their ancestors came from and meanwhile these bigots who are mocking them/not hiring them because of their names are always happy to spout bullshit about their lineage. Why is there no *insert white European* history month (which totally already exists). Where the gently caress is the Nigerian/Tanzanian/Kenyan/Congolese month you heaps of hot garbage?

Also lol at that dude doing a "Huh that's very stereotypical thing to say. Maybe you are the real bigot sir!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sarcopenia posted:

Where the gently caress is the Nigerian/Tanzanian/Kenyan/Congolese month you heaps of hot garbage?
I don't disagree with any part of your overall point, but at least 3/4 of these (probably 4/4) were also Europeans saying "hey I bet these 20 different ethnic groups could be administered together as British Pinguland."

Zulu or Xhosa or Luo month might be better.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sarcopenia posted:

The other thing to consider is that "bad" name choices only seem to happen with black names. White people naming their children unconventional things is considered hip and creative. Not to mention the exact same things happening to people with Spanish-sounding names, which are not at all a class issue. My first name is very conventional, my last name is very Hispanic. It is very hard for me to get my foot in the door sometimes, and I've a much better time going as "first name middle name" than "first name last name" for interviews and housing searches.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Verisimilidude posted:

And the point brought up about classism seems salient until you spend a couple minutes really thinking about why a name like Lakisha and a name like Jamal have these class-based connotations surrounding them, as well as the commonality of names like Lakisha and Jamal versus, in Lauren Southern's view, equally low-class white names like Billy Bob and, literally, a completely made up over-the-top redneck name that no one on earth actually has. It's not an issue of both classism AND racial inequality, it's just classism because from her own perspective racial inequality doesn't exist except against white people, who she claims have a harder time getting hired because of AA. Ironically, the study they were discussing actually manages to semi-debunk the idea that AA is ruining the lives of white people because even if those companies in the study were more likely to hire black people the statistics would have at the very least evened out between the two types of names.

And then the nerve of those right-wing goons "ironically" calling Destiny a racist and a Nazi

Just to add to this maybe I'm a crazy person but couldn't someone with a"low class" redneck name like Billy Bob just put...Bill on their resume? Or William?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

"I don't want an America that's all White, just an America that's supermajority White :waycool:"

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Just to add to this maybe I'm a crazy person but couldn't someone with a"low class" redneck name like Billy Bob just put...Bill on their resume? Or William?

This is 100% true cause Billy Bob is a nickname.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Right-wing chick: "A lot of my viewers were happy to hear what Richard Spencer wanted to say"

OH YOU DON'T SAY

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I have to give that one dude who says women shouldn't be working some credit for totally open honesty, despite having at least two female fellow right-wingers on at the same time.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I have to give that one dude who says women shouldn't be working some credit for totally open honesty, despite having at least two female fellow right-wingers on at the same time.

No, I don't even give him that. I mean, come on: "We don't want to FORCE women out of the workforce, we just want to teach all women that their place is at home. Stop misrepresenting us!". Really? That's just weak in all sense of the term.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Dude just hammers on that a lot too. It's kind of refreshing to see that there actually still are people this stupid out there.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

that ~1 hr timestamp in the destiny debate vid is incredible.

rear end in a top hat laughing at his own 'what study?? what study??' comment as if his ignorance counted as winning an argument.

lauren southern is the "centrist" in that group because she still maintains a pretense of actually debating things. I guess evidence and debate are 'centrist' now and 'right' is just a seething cauldron of determined ignorance.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

fallenturtle posted:

Theryn taking down Roaming for her Spencer interview at around 27 minutes in was awesome.

Haha, she sounded so sick of these people

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Haha, she sounded so sick of these people

I bet she's also puzzled why people like them keep showng up in the same circles too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Can someone post the link to Contra's debate? I normally avoid these but I do kind of want to hear it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Posted by Contra on Twitter:

I refuse to check who his patrons are because I prefer my own imaginary list.
1. himself
2. his parents
3. contra for $105 and a winky emote
4. 16 korean bots donating 1 cent each

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Ragnar34 posted:

Posted by Contra on Twitter:

I refuse to check who his patrons are because I prefer my own imaginary list.
1. himself
2. his parents
3. contra for $105 and a winky emote
4. 16 korean bots donating 1 cent each

Suggested Creators: Weev "Gluten made me a manlet" McShitcock.

Some great company there.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

Suggested Creators: Weev "Gluten made me a manlet" McShitcock.

Some great company there.

Well yeah, Hatreon is the Patreon for Nazis so

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

aware of dog posted:

Well yeah, Hatreon is the Patreon for Nazis so

Even by Nazi oval office standards Weev's a loving slime.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Just asking questions.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ArfJason posted:

Just asking questions.

Ad hominem.

Strawman much? Tautology ahoy.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

ArfJason posted:

Just asking questions.

I think I'm stuck in a time loop.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

The other thing to consider is that "bad" name choices only seem to happen with black names. White people naming their children unconventional things is considered hip and creative. Not to mention the exact same things happening to people with Spanish-sounding names, which are not at all a class issue. My first name is very conventional, my last name is very Hispanic. It is very hard for me to get my foot in the door sometimes, and I've a much better time going as "first name middle name" than "first name last name" for interviews and housing searches.
Since when have bad white people names been considered "hip and creative"? A white kid named Rivers or Master D or Moon Unit is going to be considered to have a bad name. This does not make any of your points about black or hispanic names wrong, but white people being "creative" with child names will 100% get you mocked by all but the most polite people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
zoe quinn sent a cake reading "unban me you cowards" to postmates

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/927381036278849536

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Also, Billy Bob Thornton is like... really famous????

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

boner confessor posted:

zoe quinn sent a cake reading "unban me you cowards" to postmates

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/927381036278849536

wtf is postmates? It looks like a thing where you just shout in to the void "I want X" and it shows up?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGPMi_cTgrY&t=951s
After playing a clip of someone pronouncing SJW "ess-jew"....

Sinatra_Says posted:

"ess-jew" literally refers to people stealing Jewish identity to get favor after the Holocaust.
Wait, what?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I only just learned that Sam Hyde has been an alt right icon for a while now.

Shame. I remember being amused by a few videos he did years ago like that TEDx prank.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

fallenturtle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGPMi_cTgrY&t=951s
After playing a clip of someone pronouncing SJW "ess-jew"....

Wait, what?

I made the video he's responding to, and I pronounced SJW that way because it's easier to say many times, and annoys anti-sjw people.

The reason he made up is absurd, but I was kind of asking for it by choosing to pronounce it in the trolliest way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The most toxic gaming communities I've seen are MOBAs, the time investment of up to an hour or more a match leads to some real loving hostility being expressed when a teammate fucks up.

This post is from a while back, but one of my most surreal experiences related to this was this time I was at my aunt's house talking to my cousin while he played DotA. My cousin is sitting there totally calm and chatting with me, and I look at the screen and he's just matter-of-factly typing out all this vicious poo poo at the other players in his MOBA game. I always imagined the people typing this stuff to be all wound up and angry in real life, but he was just typing this stuff at people totally calmly while carrying on a conversation with me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's high level mindgames. you're completely calm but the people you're dunking on in chat are melting down so you gain the upperhand.

it's like engaging chuds on twitter. they'll tweet six times rapid fire at you about how the muslims are taking over europe and you just tweet back "wrong" and they'll keep going all night. it rules.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's high level mindgames.

Or just being a poo poo person, that's often the right answer as opposed to some random douche actually playing 4d aquatic chess or whatever.

• Locked thread