Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
PM ain't AM at least.

Edit: Dangle Tax

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Last week I learned that pro spec medium is the equivalent to regular large and I now have a $500 chest protector I need to send back because I'm dumb and didn't read the correct size chart.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I was once on a team where a guy would regularly take 5 minute shifts. Like if he ever changed before 5 minutes, it would be a remarkable exception. One game he took a 10 minute shift, sat down for a minute, then took his usual 5 minute shift. Never scored either shift. No one complained because he had previously been convicted for assault and was prone to fits of rage. We got him off the team after that season by saying the team was disbanding, and then we reformed under a different name.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Been absent from the forums for a while now, but just finished my second season.

We went 22-0.... somehow I doubt my 2 goals and 11 assists were integral to this win rate.

As such we are moving up a division next year, which makes sense but will be a shock to a few of us who are being carried by the better players.

My greatest achievement for the season was being the only player on our team without a penalty.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Last night: Chasing down an iced puck in our D zone that was skidding into the corner, with their opponent a good 3 body lengths behind me. We're both skating decently fast but I slow up a little bit to collect the puck and the opponent just skates full speed square into my rear end and gently falls down...

I get a two minute hooking penalty.

A period and a half later i'm a half step behind their forward as dman, and we're at about mid/low circles where I reach around with my stick and lift his slightly whereupon he proceeds to fully run our goalie...

I get a two minute tripping penalty.

:shrug: welp

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

Last night: Chasing down an iced puck in our D zone that was skidding into the corner, with their opponent a good 3 body lengths behind me. We're both skating decently fast but I slow up a little bit to collect the puck and the opponent just skates full speed square into my rear end and gently falls down...

I get a two minute hooking penalty.

A period and a half later i'm a half step behind their forward as dman, and we're at about mid/low circles where I reach around with my stick and lift his slightly whereupon he proceeds to fully run our goalie...

I get a two minute tripping penalty.

:shrug: welp

Are you big/tall? I find in noob league I can get away with a lot of poo poo because I'm small, even though I play pretty hard/pesky. Big guys get called for everything.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Nyoooope. I am the averagesty average dude who ever averaged (5'10"). Having a dude run up my backside resulting in a hooking is definitely a new one to me in my short beer league life, tho.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are none more average than me. :colbert:

5'10, blue eyes, brown hair. It is impossible for me to stand out anywhere.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

There are none more average than me. :colbert:

5'10, blue eyes, brown hair. It is impossible for me to stand out anywhere.

5'10", 160lbs. Brown eyes brown hair. White guy. I'm so average that I can't even be the most or least average because I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of the road. I think we're seeing a trend here.
*also, I feel like some gross 1998 aol IM cyberchat is about to start happening a/s/l?*

I had a game last night that felt really good. I had a lot of great scoring chances and the opposing team never pressured me very hard. Their goalie was getting everything in the chest and made some great saves. In my ~8 shots, I couldn't bury a single one. But I did work around a lot of players, maintained puck control, and got myself into better scoring positions so its all a plus. I also loved my line (2 new players to our team that I haven't skated on a line with before) and we all clicked. We just seemed to all be in the right places and know where everyone was going to be. Now if only our captain wouldn't keep loving with the lines.

Also, coming off our 42 minutes of penalties in last game, we still managed 20 this game. One guy got a pretty lousy call but he made it even worse by bitching at the ref and getting a second unsportanlike. He later got another minor and then got tossed for the 3 penalty rule. The refs were actually calling a really good game but some people on our team just don't understand that we beat ourselves by playing nearly an entire period shorthanded because we get called for stupid poo poo.

Oh well, another game tonight.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 7, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Who's keeping the SAS hockey gear spreadsheet? Need another column for eye color.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Who's keeping the SAS hockey gear spreadsheet? Need another column for eye color.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BOwvLuAgLPRvSFSIf7KdTrykMu7mcS51HhRXDe6IWM4/edit#gid=0

Man, that was a long time ago, yet I'm still using almost all the same stuff.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Thufir posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BOwvLuAgLPRvSFSIf7KdTrykMu7mcS51HhRXDe6IWM4/edit#gid=0

Man, that was a long time ago, yet I'm still using almost all the same stuff.

this is a thing? Why?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because it was a 20 page discussion or something so obviously we had to tabulate it to find out which gear is best.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

when are we measuring our average penises

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You haven't been?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Creeeeeeepy.

Also I have no eyes. Or feet. I skate on nubs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We should just do a seasonal stats sheet. Thats the real dick comparison in here am I right?

Just kidding, I know a few people actually track their beer league stats but please lets not do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm in the ASHL, I actually do have a stat sheet. :smug:

(the numbers aren't good)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

when are we measuring our average penises

.countdown

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That’s true 100 days to go until we find out who sleeps dick up

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You can ask my dutch wife

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm taking the week off from hockey. That's 5 games. Ankle needs the rest.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

prom candy posted:

Are you big/tall? I find in noob league I can get away with a lot of poo poo because I'm small, even though I play pretty hard/pesky. Big guys get called for everything.

If you were playing Bronze League at Snoopy's Home Ice at 5'10" you would be one of the big guys. I'm only 6'4" and a guy on my team calls me Chara.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Stitecin posted:

If you were playing Bronze League at Snoopy's Home Ice at 5'10" you would be one of the big guys. I'm only 6'4" and a guy on my team calls me Chara.

I'm 5'6", how do I join this beautiful league where 5'10" is big?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Play at a rink that doesn't have glass down the sides. All the normal height people died years ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

keep up the measurements, men

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

keep up the measurements, men

I'm 69 inches

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
God damnit I've never wanted an extra 3 inches more in my life

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

I'm 69 inches

Nice.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

A new session of lessons started up yesterday and there was one classmate who at first glance I thought had no business being in the beginner session. We started with a bunch of skating drills and he was doing backwards crossovers and transitions like a pro. Then we started doing stick-handling drills and I understood. He could barely hold his stick, let alone keep the puck from eating him alive at every opportunity. I talked with him and apparently he used to be a world-class figure skater, but he wants to play hockey now. He's already got a massive head start by being able to skate so well, so I'm sure he'll be deking around me in Rat Hockey in no time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah that guy will get really good, really fast. I played ball hockey for years before starting real hockey. Having decent hands is helpful but ultimately not worth much compared to being good on your skates. Also much easier to learn since you can practice off-ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen guys show up going the other way.. they played floor hockey their whole life so have some really sweet hands, but when they try to skate a little cartoon sprint cloud forms around their feet and they still go nowhere.

So during a drop in they're fumbling to get moving with the puck and an experienced skater moves in to check, thinking it's an easy contest and end up getting completely undressed.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

People who play ball hockey are shitfuck weirdos and historically the worst people in ice drop-in. Slash them in their dead useless feet until they go back to their coward's game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

People who play ball hockey are shitfuck weirdos and historically the worst people in ice drop-in. Slash them in their dead useless feet until they go back to their coward's game.

This is the truth. The biggest shitheads I've met in hockey have almost invariably been ball hockey players. That sport is an abomination as it is since hockey belongs on skates but seems to draw the worst people too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I finished out my ball hockey season after learning to skate and then never looked back, it's a garbage sport.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I like the learning curve that skating puts in place for ice hockey. Ice hockey feels like a gentlemans game compared ball and inline which feel like prison leagues for people who can't skate.

Ball hockey, never again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's just a poo poo sport too. You can't do anything with the ball. You can't pass it easily since it's a ball and not flat like a puck. You can't stickhandle with it easily because half the time you're playing on a lovely surface for it and if you are lucky enough to be playing on a sport court it's a little better but even there it's a bit unwieldy.

And because you're not on skates you can't actually carry the ball that well either without easily getting checked by the opposing team.

So what does that lead to? It leads to a sport where most of the offense is created by people shooting from everywhere. The average ball hockey idiot just takes slap shots 24/7 and knows nothing else. There's little creativity and in fairness due to the above factors there isn't a lot of room for it.

Ice/Roller are so much more elegant.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
About half the goals in my league were from half-court slappers. It's a no finesse game. So many dickheads playing too. Many on my team.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

So I had my first real equipment failure today :smith:

The blade on my left skate split completely down the middle. The crack goes all the way to the bottom on all sides. I have no idea when or how it happened, but I was on the ice for 2 hours and I didn't notice it until I was wiping my blades down in the locker room.

So what are my options here? Is it possible to just replace the blade? If so, about how much is it going to cost me? The boots are still fine, they're well broken in and the rivets are all still holding firm, so I'd rather not get new skates if I don't have to. If I do replace the blade, should I only replace the one or get new ones on both for symmetry's sake? I have Rat Hockey on Monday, so I need to get this sorted out by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see any bolts in the runner that would allow you to remove the blade, so you might be screwed.

Maybe check for a warranty from Bauer?

And if you do get forced into buying new skates, make sure to get ones with replaceable blades.