Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I forgot about buying the navy blue Bellroy case and now it's out of stock on the Google Store and on the Bellroy site :smith: so I'm assuming it's going to be back in stock around the same time Google ships phones ordered after 10/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

I'm about to punt my iphone 5S out the loving window since iOS11 has totally hosed it.

Would I be totally insane to drop 600 Canadian funbucks on a Essential phone?
That basically depends entirely on how much you take pictures with your phone.

Although supposedly it's a little less terrible now
https://phandroid.com/2017/10/06/essential-phone-camera-update/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Broadcom wants to buy Qualcomm, eh?

Yeah this is interesting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah this is interesting.
I'm curious why you think so.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm curious why you think so.

Because it's an enormous deal ($130b USD) involving a company with basically a monopoly on Android SoCs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because it's an enormous deal ($130b USD) involving a company with basically a monopoly on Android SoCs.
Yeah but as a consumer what do you expect to change in the devices you carry, if anything? Who cares if the chip is stamped Broadcom or Qualcomm?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah but as a consumer what do you expect to change in the devices you carry, if anything? Who cares if the chip is stamped Broadcom or Qualcomm?

Nothing? I just commented that I personally found it interesting, I didn't say everyone else had to.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 6, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Android Thread - Defend Your Interest

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i just want more diversity in the soc marketplace for android phones, at least in the top end

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's extremely hosed up that if qualcomm fucks up a generation basically every top tier phone that isn't an iphone will suffer for it (i'm looking at you, 810)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
You've also got Huawei's Kirin chips but they either don't sell em or no one wants to buy em, cause they don't show up anywhere else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried to Google around for this question but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know if I can buy a Project Fi phone from the website (Moto X4) and just use it with my T-Mobile service? I solely want the phone for the guaranteed software updates but my T-Mobile plan has more data for the same price.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried to Google around for this question but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know if I can buy a Project Fi phone from the website (Moto X4) and just use it with my T-Mobile service? I solely want the phone for the guaranteed software updates but my T-Mobile plan has more data for the same price.

It might take some voodoo magic to get it deregistered from Fi so you can do a BYOD to Tmobile, but it is possible.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and that only applies to Sprint, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

seiferguy posted:

Is 7.0 better on the battery than 6.0?

Should be. They introduced some battery saving stuff in 6, 7 and 8. As a rule I always factory reset after a major update to minimise and battery or performance issues and I'm usually happier than the times I've stuck with the in-place upgrade installation. Could be placebo though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nimper posted:

It might take some voodoo magic to get it deregistered from Fi so you can do a BYOD to Tmobile, but it is possible.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and that only applies to Sprint, though.

What? You just pull out the SIM, cancel your Fi account and pop in a new SIM. There's no "magic" involved. Fi phones are not carrier locked.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Wonder how that rumored Google chipset/processor is coming along with the Qualcomm/Broadcom news.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Endless Mike posted:

What? You just pull out the SIM, cancel your Fi account and pop in a new SIM. There's no "magic" involved. Fi phones are not carrier locked.

If I do this, do I keep getting the software updates in a timely manner? I'm not sure how security updates work. Do they have to then go through T-Mobile or does the Android One program take care of it?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Extensive review about the Razer phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrlo3Dbr7YI

It looks great and looks like the "screen lag" is due to the limitations of video recording. Sure, it doesn't have no-bezel screen but to me looks amazing and that sound...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Extensive review about the Razer phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrlo3Dbr7YI

It looks great and looks like the "screen lag" is due to the limitations of video recording. Sure, it doesn't have no-bezel screen but to me looks amazing and that sound...

No waterproofing or I'd be super interested :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

See the second part of my post where I realized it probably doesn't apply to TMobile.

Fi phones are not carrier locked to Fi, per se, but I know for Sprint BYOD it would need to be manually transferred in order to activate.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So now that the Essential Phone has a serviceable camera and is on sale for $450 at Best Buy, is it a decent option?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

So now that the Essential Phone has a serviceable camera and is on sale for $450 at Best Buy, is it a decent option?

From what I gather it is, but there's a good chance it'll keep plunging in price. Also, complete roll of the dice as to whether they'll keep their promises about updates and whatever, considering what a complete commercial failure the phone has been.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

You've also got Huawei's Kirin chips but they either don't sell em or no one wants to buy em, cause they don't show up anywhere else.

Mediatek (used also by Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC) has about quarter of soc market. There is also Rockchip, Allwinner.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hey, good news! You can buy tickets to the OnePlus 5T launch event for $40. I'd hurry before they're sold out!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, good news! You can buy tickets to the OnePlus 5T launch event for $40. I'd hurry before they're sold out!

What if I show my tits

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

What if I show my tits

:justpost:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

I'm about to punt my iphone 5S out the loving window since iOS11 has totally hosed it.

Would I be totally insane to drop 600 Canadian funbucks on a Essential phone?

IuniusBrutus posted:

Droid Life just posted an Essential Phone followup:

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/11/06/fresh-look-essential-phone-worth-now/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Imagine the kind of person that would pay money to go to an off-brand cell phone launch event.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RZA Encryption posted:

Imagine the kind of person that would pay money to go to an off-brand cell phone launch event.

Gotta pay $40 to Never Settle these days.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
How were you guys able to replace yours due to blue shift? Mine's pretty bad and Google wont replace it.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 6, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Munkaboo posted:

How were you guys able to return yours due to blue shift? Mine's pretty bad and Google wont replace it.

there's actually a google support number in the phone.
"With your Pixel, your Google expert is just a tap away. Just open the Settings app on your device and tap "Support & tips". You can also share your screen with an expert for guided help."

I just called that and they told me to go ahead and send it back.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

there's actually a google support number in the phone.
"With your Pixel, your Google expert is just a tap away. Just open the Settings app on your device and tap "Support & tips". You can also share your screen with an expert for guided help."

I just called that and they told me to go ahead and send it back.

I tried that exactly, no luck. I am having trouble showing the blue shift from a camera phone snap.

edit: Well, I did a chat. Ill try a phone call.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
November factory images and OTAs are out for Nexus/Pixel devices (except the Pixel 2 XL for whatever reason). Update now if you don’t want people hacking your WiFi connections.

Well, apparently, they didn’t fix the WiFi, because the patch level is November 5, not 6. Thanks, Google.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 7, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

As a woman, I am going to throw my out of spec tits on the ground and hope to hell they honor my warranty later on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Munkaboo posted:

How were you guys able to return yours due to blue shift? Mine's pretty bad and Google wont replace it.
Replace or return? You get 14 or 15 days to send it back for any reason, just go to the orders page in the Google store. Not sure about replacing but it's not worth the time and effort to try to get one with a less bad screen. Mine was incredibly bad so I'm waiting another year.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

butt dickus posted:

Replace or return? You get 14 or 15 days to send it back for any reason, just go to the orders page in the Google store. Not sure about replacing but it's not worth the time and effort to try to get one with a less bad screen. Mine was incredibly bad so I'm waiting another year.

Replace, sorry.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Double Punctuation posted:

November factory images and OTAs are out for Nexus/Pixel devices (except the Pixel 2 XL for whatever reason). Update now if you don’t want people hacking your WiFi connections.

Cheers. Last check my phone did was less than an hour ago and it wasn't up. How did you become aware of it becoming public?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looked up some reviews of the Moto X4 Android One model and people are saying that they are still on the September security patch and still running Nougat. So I don't think "Android One" means jack poo poo.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Sounds like Google has pretty much made it policy not to do RMAs for blue shift anymore. I guess you could keep trying but the party line so far has been, "it's inherent to the screen, you'll get used to it, don't worry!" I think it would be pretty pointless to keep trying the screen lotto anyway since those phones that are being returned for blue shift are probably going right back into stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mu Zeta posted:

Looked up some reviews of the Moto X4 Android One model and people are saying that they are still on the September security patch and still running Nougat. So I don't think "Android One" means jack poo poo.

Isn't Android One the program for selling super cheap phones to poor countries?