Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol what the gently caress the Mining Dimension in age of engineering just went dark and now it's nighttime in the plane of eternal day

i have no defences, obviously, so, uh, guess i'll just run away before a creeper blows up all my lovely IC2 machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol what the gently caress the Mining Dimension in age of engineering just went dark and now it's nighttime in the plane of eternal day

i have no defences, obviously, so, uh, guess i'll just run away before a creeper blows up all my lovely IC2 machines?

this happens because it is thunderstorming outside in the overworld

go to sleep in the overworld and the rain will clear up when you wake up

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
After previously giving up due to an insurmountable bug, I've decided to give Craft of the Titans another go - hopefully the patches since then have fixed it.

Unfortunately, I'm getting huge TPS lag every few minutes, having to wait 30 seconds for everything to update. I've made sure mipmaps are off, and I've added optifine to the pack but it's still happening. Any ideas?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
played a bit more Project Ozone 2 today. Today I thought I would work on upgrading my infrastructure a bit. I need several more crafting machines to keep progressing, and my sorting system could use an upgrade. But first off I upgraded my cobblestone generator with a Compacting Drawer. These are really expensive in Kappa Mode so I was putting it off, but I'm pretty rich right now and I have been getting sick of emptying the iron chest I had stuck to this thing. I also expanded my garden, so that I can grow larger crops. I would like to make some MFR Harvesters, but they are a ways off right now:

For my personal usage I also made a Steel Pick and a Mining Turtle. There is a thin stone layer below the sandstone with some resources, but I could not harvest a lot of them with my simple Iron pick. This Mining Turtle lets me sequence break pick materials a bit, as it can mine any block :twisted: It is also dirt cheap and never runs out of durability. I might just set it to auto mode and use it as a poor mans Quarry:

Next I decided to build QED. The QED gates off many other machines (like the alloy smelter) so I needed to get one eventually. The dang thing is really expensive though, requiring lots of Ender Pearls. I did not have a lot of Ender Pearls (due to the low productivity of my mob grinder). However online I found out you can melt Ender Lily Seeds in the Smeltery to get liquid ender pearls! I created a crude automation with an Iron Pipe and a Gem Cast to make the ender pearls I needed for the QED. I also needed Obsidian. I did not have a pick good enough to mine obsidian so I tried gathering it with my Mining Turtle. That was tedious so instead I jerry rigged my Smeltrty to produce Obsidian. normally I would use an Igneous Extruder for this but it requires the QED to craft!

With the QED I was now able to craft an Alloy Smelter and a SAG Mill relatively easily. I do not have a proper power system set up right now, so they are parasitically attached to my Auto Sifter for the moment:

My item sorting system needed some love too. It was getting very tedious to find items among the hundreds of randomly sorted boxes. So I rigged together the crudest Logistics system possible. All this consists of is a Logistics Provider pipe mk2, a Request Pipe, power, and an Iron chest hooked into my drawer controller. The better Logistics request/crafting interface block was much too expensive for now. Its not fancy but it lets me see an inventory of all of my junk, and grab anything I need (without hunting for it!)

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

I have run into an annoying problem. MC: 1.10.1, Forge: 12.18.3.2511, Better Questing: 2.3.234. The quest list keeps resetting, and I can never reach the bottom few quest categories. It wasn't doing this for about a week of using this modpack, and started just a couple of days ago. Tried a couple of different width/height combos in the settings and that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MSB2

Once i have the forestry multi farm, what is worth while planting? And how easy is it to keep the water and fertiliser automated? Maybe an extra bit of a tree farm? Though making coal from charcoal is a pain atm.

Im not sure i have anything that can automate water. Need dawnstone for the aqueous accumulator.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
IE pump over 4 water source blocks works as an infinite water source. It needs both a tiny amount of power and a redstone signal.

Farm needs very little water, though. I had a single furnace generator powering both the farm itself and the pump and the generator was still idle 3/4 of the time.

Dirt + apatite converts to fertilizer at a ridiculous rate. It's pretty basic to automate. You get apatite from gem cleaning, but even if you don't fully automate it a drawer stuffed full of fertilizer will last ages.

I used mine for wood, but peat bog also comes in handy later. Food crops usually aren't worth bothering with in this pack. You can also set one quadrant to nether wart/soul sand for a little while and never have to worry about that again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You can also use a forestry multifarm to make canola, but do not bother with crystallized and empowered oil -- it's only marginally better than the stuff that comes out of a fermenting barrel for a ton more work.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can also use a forestry multifarm to make canola, but do not bother with crystallized and empowered oil -- it's only marginally better than the stuff that comes out of a fermenting barrel for a ton more work.

Glad im not the only one who feels this.

Increasing the number of squeezers, barrels and generators is so much easier.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

mehall posted:

Glad im not the only one who feels this.

Increasing the number of squeezers, barrels and generators is so much easier.

Yeah, it was a real letdown. On my first attempt at MSB2, I thought "oh, an easy and effective power source is empowered canola, it does 350 RF/t per oil generator." I got it all set up and running, and found out it was 120 RF/t instead. I THINK this is MSB2 specific, but I don't know for sure. Either way, screw that noise for such little return.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I THINK this is MSB2 specific

Yup.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tbh even the return from the vanilla mod doesn't feel sufficient to me. I'll sometimes do crystallized but i never bother with empowered.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I think they also last alot longer than basic oil, so you get something like 40x as much power per bucket. You'd need to build a bigger bank of oil generators to really take advantage of it, though.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Have some sort of giant server objective with a goofy theme to it? Like we need to get X super expensive Sparklonium blocks and 1 Trillion RF to contribute to the Space War which reboots the server or whatever. Have a big leaderboard with the number of blocks each person has contributed?

That's kind of the idea behind a "lol, buttcoins" mod.

Buttcoin miner block takes, iunno, a couple metal blocks and some redstone to make. Pump power into it, receive "minecoin" aka your score on a leaderboard increments. As you pump power into the miner block, the chance it disappears in a puff of smoke increases.

Literally does nothing but convert power and resources into leaderboard score.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yes mods for years-old goon memes, i love it. i love it!!!

is RFtools out for the version you want? you could try and make some cool custom dimensions that use ungodly amounts of power but generate interesting worlds, and then play around in them

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

hell yes mods for years-old goon memes, i love it. i love it!!!

is RFtools out for the version you want? you could try and make some cool custom dimensions that use ungodly amounts of power but generate interesting worlds, and then play around in them

Come up with literally anything at all, better or worse? We had about a dozen goons in our server discord talking about it and trying to come up with ideas and collectively that was the "best" one at the end of the night.

To round back to the point, we're just trying to come up with something to occupy players once they've hit the "I've got limitless everything. Now what?" stage. It'd have to be something that each player can gloat about and rub in the other players' faces over, which is why we're looking for something that just translates to scoreboard points or some other completely cosmetic but highly visible thing. Preferably something they could dump all their RF and spare jillions of items into to equate to that e-peen. The theme of it doesn't matter, per se, just that it can be done in some way.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh right so you're not trying to come up with a cool post-game thing to do, you literally just want to watch numbers get bigger

try this then

http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

To make it somewhat more interesting you could make the energy accepting block incredibly expensive (octuple compressed cobblestone, nether stars, empowered diamantine blocks, ludicrite, etc.) and give diminishing returns the more power you dump into it. That would give players an incentive to build out both energy production & item production, maybe even come up with a method of automating crafting & placing them so their scores keep climbing even while logged off.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Ok, so suppose you’ve got this DE-reactor looking thing - big, flashy, impossible to miss - and it picks random things from a list or JEI. So like you have to feed it a thousand ardite tool rods, then 200 spent fuel rods, or whatever - randomized. And after each successful request, the thing changes color, or gets some greebles, or a particle effect, or whatever, and it asks for something different. If you’re feeling fancy maybe even allow a bit of customization so they don’t get an effect they hate, but the point being you get a big base centerpiece to show off, and you have to make a never-ending series of otherwise pointless automation systems to evolve it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey remember Agricraft? Well, while still in alpha the new version seems like a pretty major improvement.

The downside is that there might not be a post-1.10 version.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So looking for some feedback as I've been out of the whole MC and MC Mods scene for a while.

Can anyone provide me a list of what are essentially the "Every Mod Pack Has This Mod" Mods that you think would be improved by having texture support from a resource pack, it that makes sense.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey remember Agricraft? Well, while still in alpha the new version seems like a pretty major improvement.
I don't notice anything all that different, at least not enough to call it a pretty major improvement. Mostly debug feedback for why crops aren't growing?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

CommunityEdition posted:

Ok, so suppose you’ve got this DE-reactor looking thing - big, flashy, impossible to miss - and it picks random things from a list or JEI. So like you have to feed it a thousand ardite tool rods, then 200 spent fuel rods, or whatever - randomized. And after each successful request, the thing changes color, or gets some greebles, or a particle effect, or whatever, and it asks for something different. If you’re feeling fancy maybe even allow a bit of customization so they don’t get an effect they hate, but the point being you get a big base centerpiece to show off, and you have to make a never-ending series of otherwise pointless automation systems to evolve it.

Just change all the firework recipes to use absurdly expensive components, and challenge each other to build the best automated fireworks display. You don't even need a new mod.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MSK2 im having a few problems

A master chef - the most basic ingredients - wont accept any form of egg, so wont complete. (thus all the quests dependent on that)

Life in the forest - circuits with upgrades wont accept the soldering iron i made.

Now i need a dark power gem to pretty mach go any further. For that i need a fluid transposer.

For that i need a dawnstone ingot. How do i get that? I built the embers mixer, it needs gold, copper and dawnstone.......

Or is there a way for me to fill a dark gem with blood?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

MSK2 im having a few problems

A master chef - the most basic ingredients - wont accept any form of egg, so wont complete. (thus all the quests dependent on that)

Life in the forest - circuits with upgrades wont accept the soldering iron i made.

Now i need a dark power gem to pretty mach go any further. For that i need a fluid transposer.

For that i need a dawnstone ingot. How do i get that? I built the embers mixer, it needs gold, copper and dawnstone.......

Or is there a way for me to fill a dark gem with blood?

For the dark power gem, place five source blocks of blood in the world and quickly throw the dark gem in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I don't notice anything all that different, at least not enough to call it a pretty major improvement. Mostly debug feedback for why crops aren't growing?

I thought the resource crops were new, unless they've always been there and I just never knew thanks to no documentation.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought the resource crops were new, unless they've always been there and I just never knew thanks to no documentation.

It's the lack of documentation. They were in the 1.7.10 version and were found by cross breeding specific crops or finding them in a greenhouses. They were also kind of pointless in a pack with magical crops.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Figures. I know that programming and documentation are two different skillsets (I work in software, so believe me I know all about that) but seriously, put something on the page or in the 'cheeves or something.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Nevets posted:

To make it somewhat more interesting you could make the energy accepting block incredibly expensive (octuple compressed cobblestone, nether stars, empowered diamantine blocks, ludicrite, etc.) and give diminishing returns the more power you dump into it. That would give players an incentive to build out both energy production & item production, maybe even come up with a method of automating crafting & placing them so their scores keep climbing even while logged off.

The nice thing about this idea is it's totally feasible even if the base block provided by the mod is super cheap. As long as it's craftable in the vanilla crafting table, it's possible to use MineTweaker to adjust the recipe to whatever you want.

CommunityEdition posted:

This is an awesome idea. Sounds like hell to code, but otherwise awesome.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding end game puzzles to keep people around, I did like some of the ridiculous quests in the original Agrarian Skies and pondered putting something like that in a final BFSR 2.0 chapter. My own motivations were to make quests that would be useful for working in other mod packs. Blightfall was one where milking cows was more important that I would have expected I would ever deal with, and cobblestone/sand/gravel was somewhat useful in skyblocks. But then I'd just ask for some poo poo that is just tougher to do--and particularly harder to scale. Like, ask for 10,000 Mekanism digital miners. Maybe I'd call for 5x ore processing. That's hard to prove, but I can demand large amount of 5x output like some of the intermediate ore steps. I was pondering a challenge for creating large mob farms with sorting for all the crazy stuff that usually gets dropped. Like, maybe asking for 1,000 enchanted gold swords or something.

A novel challenge for people with lots of power generation is to demand thousands of filled leadstone energy cells. The power is the easy part there. The harder part is building all the cells, placing them, and then breaking them down after they're full.

Anyways, the general challenge for an end-game player in these situations is not in being able to do a lot of something, but doing it in a sustainable, scalable process.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Maybe I'd call for 5x ore processing. That's hard to prove, but I can demand large amount of 5x output like some of the intermediate ore steps.

Not sure how you would do it with a current questbook mod, but with the way HQM worked you could give the player 1 ore that is otherwise unnatainable and ask them to submit 5 ingots. To make it more forgiving for stupid / unlucky players you could make the ore giving quest repeatable with a long cooldown & expensive reactivation cost, enough so that doing it 4 more times would be more expensive & time consuming than just setting up the 5x processing infrastructure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
loving hell I am terrible at basic logistics. I finally got a slew of machines, a starter AE2 set, a bank of storage drawers (with controller + tesseract importer to my quarry), a big reactor, and capacitor banks all set to go and a giant, nice looking warehouse to store them in. But I cannot loving figure out where to put them. Everything needs to be nearby everything else! The banks and main power line have to be near the storage drawers, but those have to be near the AE2 setup for the storage bus, and the machines need to be on the power line AND the AE2 ME line, and everything needs power and what side do I put these on and should the ME system be at the front and should I be using fluix cable or ME conduit and should I use these fluxducts and how can I put everything in a place where I can access them and not bump into wires and :psyduck:

I cannot for the life of me think spatially about this sort of thing. It's driving me crazy and I can already tell nothing I come up with is going to look good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I cannot for the life of me think spatially about this sort of thing. It's driving me crazy and I can already tell nothing I come up with is going to look good.

Wire nests never look good. This is why we bury wiring and dig basements for this sort of thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, but it's not even that. Like I don't know where to put all my major components (drawers, ME, machines, input, energy storage, reactor, etc) relative to each other. I figure I'll bury all my conduits and wires under the surface and have them poke up under the machines which I'll just... lay on the ground. But trying to space them out is a challenge even on its own.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, but it's not even that. Like I don't know where to put all my major components (drawers, ME, machines, input, energy storage, reactor, etc) relative to each other. I figure I'll bury all my conduits and wires under the surface and have them poke up under the machines which I'll just... lay on the ground. But trying to space them out is a challenge even on its own.

I'm 100% the same way. The best I've come up with is 'aisles', or some sort of system like that where I'm not going to end up totally walling myself off.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Whelp, there goes MSB2.

If im reading the error log right, im getting a conflict between blood and one of the tconstruct soils (ie, stuff falling to their death on my consecrated soil)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

loving hell I am terrible at basic logistics. I finally got a slew of machines, a starter AE2 set, a bank of storage drawers (with controller + tesseract importer to my quarry), a big reactor, and capacitor banks all set to go and a giant, nice looking warehouse to store them in. But I cannot loving figure out where to put them. Everything needs to be nearby everything else! The banks and main power line have to be near the storage drawers, but those have to be near the AE2 setup for the storage bus, and the machines need to be on the power line AND the AE2 ME line, and everything needs power and what side do I put these on and should the ME system be at the front and should I be using fluix cable or ME conduit and should I use these fluxducts and how can I put everything in a place where I can access them and not bump into wires and :psyduck:

I don't know which pack you are using or what your layout is, but I don't think you need to have power near the storage drawers.

I'd use a AE2 storage bus on the drawer controller. That handles all of the placing/pulling of resources.

Wire power into AE2 network, and either use EndarioIO conduits or P2P tunnels to disperse power to machines.

Really, if you have EnderIO I would just have a interface bus into a chest and then use EnderIO to dispense power and items amongst the machines, with an output chest at the end that is hooked up to an import bus at the end to bring it back into AE2.

Basically if it's possible, use AE2 as the primary network with EnderIO supplying the sub networks .

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kris xK posted:

I don't know which pack you are using or what your layout is, but I don't think you need to have power near the storage drawers.
I did at the time because I had my quarry tesseract importing to the drawers, and I wanted to use the same tesseract to pump power out to the quarry. I've mostly got that sorted out now, though.

Really good advice on piping everything from machines back using non-AE pipes, though. I've layered a row of interfaces on most machines to auto-process, so now I can just use itemducts/item conduits to pipe around back into them from nearby machines. I more or less got it worked out. It's not pretty but it's better than it was by a longshot, and definitely better than most of my builds.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh, I decided to try playing Sprout again, and there seems to be some kind of massive troll mod in there somewhere. Random dirt blocks launch you 10-50 blocks into the sky. No warning whatsoever.

...also bird nests don't appear to spawn anymore so you can't even get into stone age. Did the modpack author sabotage it?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

I just got to this quest, and I had the same problem. I solved it by throwing an egg on the ground, then picking it up. Getting the egg out of a chest (or a drawer in my case) didn't count.