Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Thanks to the questing for glory RPG speedrun marathon I realized that Xanadu Next is not only on PC and in english, but also just, on steam. Where one can easily buy it. So how is it? It looked pretty cool from the bit of stream I saw, but I also understand that it's a dungeon crawler and I do usually have problems getting into those if there's no other hook.

Here's some copy/paste from when I played it. tldr, I liked it but there are some issues.

It's basically a third-person dungeon-crawler game. There's a hub town where you can talk to npc's and shop, and from there you go into various dungeons. XN is from the Ys guys, but it's not as skill oriented as a Ys game. It's slower-paced and feels more like a monster clicker (aka whatever you want to call a pc action rpg like grim dawn, etc.). Unlike the Ys game of the mid-2000's there is no jump button and you can only attack based on your distance from the target. There aren't any classes or anything, but each weapon in the game has a skill you can permanently learn once you use it for it a bit, and there are spells and they're all offensively oriented.

Dungeon design is quite good and there are satisfying shortcuts to unlock and areas are all different from one another. One big caveat though, XN gates a lot of progress by having areas require dozens of keys and you'll need hundreds throughout the game. Unlike other games though, most of your keys will be bought from the shop in town and there's even a mechanic for them. Keys start off costing 20 gold, then slowly increases each time you buy one until they start costing 100+. The thing is, by selling the key guy monster bones (an enemy drop), you'll decrease the gold amount a good bit. It's interesting and different but I'd be lying if I didn't find it quite annoying at times. Like there will be areas where you unlock a door with your last key and then run into another locked door 5 seconds away and you'll be mad as gently caress. That said, the game does allow you to find an infinite use "warp back to hub town" item pretty early. Take the first right once you get to the area called the Eternal Maze and save yourself the pain of walking past it and exploring the rest of the area like I did.

There are some problems though. Like the Ys games, equipment and levels mean a whole lot. The max level cap is 30 but you will not go past 20 unless you specifically grind the last area in the game for hours and hours. You'll frequently find yourself in a new area and taking a lot of damage until you level up or get some new equipment. The game is set up in a way that you'll level up pretty quickly if you're under-leveled but there are times, like boss encounters, where you're going to find yourself needing to level or buy/find new equipment and it kind of sucks. There are also a bit too many box puzzles, especially near the end of the game.

Some other issues I had with XN are there are not enough skill slots for all the skills you get. You start with 4 slots and never unlock any more. There are probably around 30 or so skills you can unlock and even passive ones need to be equipped for them to work, so you'll find yourself getting some useful skills, but they're not useful enough to change your current set-up. Another thing is you have to equip certain items to use their special effect. For example, you get a gauntlet that lets you break boulders, but instead of builder breaking now being a thing you can do, you have to go into your menu and equip the gauntlet and then break the boulder. It's lame because you get item slots, separate from you skill slots, and you'll have to move your setup around to equip an item for a second.

XN seems like a perfect game for the steam controller. It's clearly made to be played with a mouse because the inventory screen really doesn't have full controller support. There's a button you can hold down to make a mouse cursor pop up and then drag across the screen but it's super cumbersome. I played it with a controller while sitting at my desktop, so I could just reach over and use the mouse when doing inventory stuff. The steam controller could probably let you use the trackpad as a mouse and completely cut that out. Also, since it's an old pc game, it does not recognize the LT/RT buttons on an xinput controller natively. I got around this by using the program xinput plus, which is free and useful for this type of stuff. This way I could set camera rotation to LT/RT instead of LB/RB. I'll even post my button set-up because the launcher lists things as button 5, 6, 7 and so on and you may not know what things you need to care about setting up. Use this and save yourself the hassle.

Confirm/Attack-Button 1 (A)
Cancel/Skill-Button 2 (B)
Menu-Button 4 (Y)
Use Item-Button 3 (X)
Select Next Item-Don't assign anything
Select Next Item-Button 5 (LB)
Select Next Skill-Don't assign anything
Select Next Skill-Button 6 (RB)
Map Zoom-Button 10 (right stick click)
Reset Camera-Button 9 (left stick click)
Rotate Camera-Button 11 (LT) (can only use button 11 & 12 if you use something like xinput plus)
Rotate Camera-Button 12 (RT)
System-Button 8 (Start)
Use Mouse-Button 7 (Select)

Okay that's about it on XN. The only other thing I can think of being an issue is that I noticed frame pacing issues while playing early on and I solved these by just making a profile in nvidia inspector and setting the frame rate limiter to 60 and then no more problems. I talked a lot about stuff I didn't like and technical stuff, but I really liked XN and it scratched that dungeon exploring itch for me. It'll be on sale around 50% off and while it may involve a bit of extra work to play it with a controller, I think it's worth it. The gameplay was satisfying and I blew through the game in a weekend.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Seems interesting enough. That's definitely going on the list that's actually not so long of things I will buy when they're on sale/ I feel like playing something new.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Also, you did see all the posts about Zwei II, right?

Amppelix posted:

Thanks to the questing for glory RPG speedrun marathon I realized that Xanadu Next is not only on PC and in english, but also just, on steam. Where one can easily buy it. So how is it? It looked pretty cool from the bit of stream I saw, but I also understand that it's a dungeon crawler and I do usually have problems getting into those if there's no other hook.

I rather enjoyed collecting the lore tablets, and having the main character's archaeologist buddy decode them, then try to figure out what really happened.
Opinions will differ on: block puzzles!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh I know all about Zwei II. I played the Japanese version like ten years ago without knowing a lick of Japanese (this is actually how I became aware of Falcom and their work) for way too long before finally giving up on some part that was just too hard to do without being able to understand the instructions where I just wandered the map for hours looking for something to trigger which never did. I'll definitely get it eventually, but I'm really swamped in games atm.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

If it's the one I think it is, it's a shop that opened in the forest stage. Spawn at the forest entrance and go backwards. It's kind of in an awkward position.

Thanks. I'd have never found that.

Where can I get more CDs for my sweet new zPod in Zwei II?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 6, 2017

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Where can I get more CDs for my sweet new zPod in Zwei II?

From the person you exchange food with.

Here's a link that should help though it's google translate so just keep that in mind.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/videos/2181652641860137/

Aurelia, Bardias, and Angelica's uncle.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
honestly i hope this whole mess with nisa makes falcom just stick with XSEED for any future localizations. probably not how that works, but i can dream

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the very least it might be a wake up call for NISA, and maybe they'll step up their game moving forward! I'm trying to be positive today.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't want to stop you from being positive but i don't think nisa's 83rd terrible translation is going to make their management stop sucking just because they had to work on a fix because they accidentally hosed up their deal with a really small developer who most people outside of japan aren't aware of

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in unrelated news: I am a child

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
One could argue that the fact they're putting money into the situation at all indicates that it's somehow important to them. I've never really been a fan of them, mind you, and I'd love to get to work on Ys again someday. But if NISA felt no effect from this at all I doubt they would have done anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they definitely felt an effect but i think this is more of a special case with the series and all the existing, better handled english releases to compare it to and how badly handled this particular release was. i'm not really gonna hold out hope for their future translations to be better unless, well, they turn out to be better

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Isn't the huge delay, despite promising simultaneous release, a bigger wakeup call than the bad translation?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Don't feel bad.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/925534754383917058

Xseed had fun with that too.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Really Pants posted:

yeah, there's a decent bit of stuff like this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
montblanc is a really really annoying fight

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It was so nice to come back and one-shot her with the Spiral Gear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if i have one complaint about anything in zwei 2 it's that the ranking system really just, doesn't work, because it ultimately just means you're going to have a really annoying first run through every dungeon and boss soaking up dozens of hits and then you'll revisit it at the end of the game and cruise through one-shotting everything

nayuta made a very, very, very good decision replacing ranks with every level just having a unique objective that you can typically clear on the first go around

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

if i have one complaint about anything in zwei 2 it's that the ranking system really just, doesn't work, because it ultimately just means you're going to have a really annoying first run through every dungeon and boss soaking up dozens of hits and then you'll revisit it at the end of the game and cruise through one-shotting everything

nayuta made a very, very, very good decision replacing ranks with every level just having a unique objective that you can typically clear on the first go around

The ranking system is really bad for trying to get platinum. That no hit requirement is really stupid, especially for some of the later bosses.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope falcom makes a new game in the whole zwei/gurumin/nayuta series thing at some point. i'd like another thing set in this world cause i've been having a lot of fun with zwei 2 and i love the setting but i guess i'd be up for literally anything new in this vein cause all of the games have been cool in their own sort of way, even if nayuta is the only one that's quite got a handle on difficulty

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zwei II's farewell music is lovely :allears:

holy poo poo I missed so much by never bothering to walk around between dungeons, though. It's no wonder I couldn't find the fairy shop on my own.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Zwei II's farewell music is lovely :allears:

holy poo poo I missed so much by never bothering to walk around between dungeons, though. It's no wonder I couldn't find the fairy shop on my own.

I'm really glad Falcom Sound Team jdk's discography is available on Amazon.

I don't know if you did them, but the extra dungeons you unlock right before the end of game gets you some nice items too. A new pet, team power, and two armors for Ragna and Alwen that changes their appearance.

There's new game+ only content but it's really grindy to get them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Got all those, yup. What's that last hidden achievement?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Got all those, yup. What's that last hidden achievement?

I don't know. It's called "Getting steamy in here" and has a picture of Ragna in the hot springs. I had thought it was related to getting 50k steps on the pedometer, speaking to the woman at the hot springs twice, then getting past 60k to open up the hot springs again and watch a short cutscene but the achievement didn't pop up for me even after I did all this.

Did you manage to fill out all the person notes? I somehow haven't despite talking to everyone and even finishing the Kappa's dumb snowboarding missions.

edit: nevermind, found the details for the last hidden achievement:

Take hot spring baths with Subaru, Odessa, and Alwen.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 8, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Discuss

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

swap Machias and McBurn imho

Ryuga Death posted:

Did you manage to fill out all the person notes? I somehow haven't despite talking to everyone and even finishing the Kappa's dumb snowboarding missions.

I didn't, that'll have to wait for NG+. I didn't go around the map before completing Secundus Mines, I didn't talk to certain people after completing the Mines, and I missed a lot that pop up after completing Gloomgeld Forest and on your first visit to Starfall Hamlet.

If you're missing the Kappa's second note, you need to talk to him after clearing any one of his snowboarding levels twice. I don't think it's twice in a row, but have fun with that.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 8, 2017

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

I didn't, that'll have to wait for NG+. I didn't go around the map before completing Secundus Mines, I didn't talk to certain people after completing the Mines, and I missed a lot that pop up after completing Gloomgeld Forest and on your first visit to Starfall Hamlet.

If you're missing the Kappa's second note, you need to talk to him after clearing any one of his snowboarding levels twice. I don't think it's twice in a row, but have fun with that.

Yeah, I already got all of Kappa's stuff. I'm just glad that after losing a few times in a row, you can pay the Kappa to make each course easier. That was the only way to beat those drat stages.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I got the zPod and it's playing The Boy's Got Wings.

Life is good.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Cold Steel IV and PS4 ports of Cold Steel I and II announced for September 2018 in Japan

Naturally, those who didn't get to play Cold Steel III due to not knowing Japanese will have to treat carefully when Falcom goes all "As you all should know by now...blah, end-game CS3 spoilers, blah" with the marketting campaign.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a good thing nobody will post the giant cs3 spoilers in this thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CS3 Spoiler: :siren:HUGE :siren:It is an enjoyable experience. Probably. I hope so. :siren:HUGE :siren:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The biggest confirmation is that it's cold steel 4 and not legend of calvad 1.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CS3 is the biggest game changer in the series. Any info about CS4 will end up being a gigantic spoiler for 3. So be aware.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

based on Hatsuu's ongoing assessment of "Musee is a boss bitch" I remain cautiously optimistic

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are the odds on us getting Cold Steel 3 before 4 comes out in Japan?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sakurazuka posted:

What are the odds on us getting Cold Steel 3 before 4 comes out in Japan?

https://twitter.com/Zaggitz/status/928590324993265664

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It really is a sisyphean and promethean task. After every game, we not only start over with a new game, the new game is a thousand billion hours longer ._.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It is going to be pretty rough and I think XSEED would need to make some very careful decisions with the future of the series in the west and I think whatever their plans for the series are, they will have to announce it soon i.e. before the holidays or they'll be even further behind in bringing the games over.

Releasing CS3 before 4 comes out in Japan would be extremely tight deadline wise. But that's not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the Crossbell problem. While CS3 doesn't focus as much on Crossbell as you might think, it still has one of the villains from that arc be a major villain in CS3 and namedrops the main villain of Ao rather casually, which is supposed to be a huge reveal in Ao. It also will make you wonder who the hell KeA and Arios are as well as what the big deal with Lloyd is. And while it does reintroduce both Randy and Tio that you don't strictly speaking need to play Crossbell to get to know them, you are going to be seeing them post-character development of Zero and Ao if you play CS3. Both are pretty different people by the end of Ao than they are at the beginning of Zero, nevermind CS3.

So it creates a really unfortunate situation for the English speaking fans and XSEED. Do they bring CS 3 and 4 over and ignore Crossbell but at which point you'd be spoiled on a good chunk of the major twists of those games? Do they delay in bringing CS3 over to get Crossbell out but that means you more or less have to go into a total media blackout for CS4? Can they allocate enough resources for both Zero and CS3 at the same time, but is it even worth the cost doing that vs how they sell in the west?

Even if you take the fantranslation route, Zero is a little over halfway edited and Ao's translation is nearing the end but has undergone no real editing (meaning it's possible the translation will be crap and need heavy editing again).

The only real solution I think is to bite the bullet and play the Crossbell games and CS3 in Japanese with a kanji dictionary at hand, or to just give in and spoil yourself I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The requirements for getting the other zpod cd's in Zwei is ridiculous and it hurts more now since I realize I could be jamming to the Valenstin Castle theme and Beyond the Beginning.