Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Blot was good, very tired. I was supposed to go across the country and listen to country today, but I don't think I'm gonna. 10/10, would represent Freja in the west again.

HEY GUNS posted:

god, imagine someone from Constantinople going up to Germany and trying to talk theology with these dudes

Going to Constantinople and coming back was a serious force of social mobility in norse society. For instance, in Ravnkel Frejsgodes saga, we learn of a dude who led a homestead but went fighting in the Varangian guard, and when he comes back( to Iceland), he's flush with gold and talked about as a big shot, which leads him to attempt a legal coup against the titular character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/414136853302759424

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sylvester II

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm gonna have to go with anacletus, purely on the basis of being so much pope he was mistaken for two popes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yeah ok anal cletus

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Peter II

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Stolen from the PYF Funny Pictures thread.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/opinion/sunday/christianity-communism.html?referer

quote:

Not that anyone should have been surprised. If the communism of the apostolic church is a secret, it is a startlingly open one. Vaguer terms like “communalist” or “communitarian” might make the facts sound more palatable but cannot change them. The New Testament’s Book of Acts tells us that in Jerusalem the first converts to the proclamation of the risen Christ affirmed their new faith by living in a single dwelling, selling their fixed holdings, redistributing their wealth “as each needed” and owning all possessions communally. This was, after all, a pattern Jesus himself had established: “Each of you who does not give up all he possesses is incapable of being my disciple” (Luke 14:33).

This was always something of a scandal for the Christians of later ages, at least those who bothered to notice it. And today in America, with its bizarre piety of free enterprise and private wealth, it is almost unimaginable that anyone would adopt so seditious an attitude. Down the centuries, Christian culture has largely ignored the more provocative features of the early church or siphoned off their lingering residues in small special communities (such as monasteries and convents). Even when those features have been acknowledged, they have typically been treated as somehow incidental to the Gospel’s message — a prudent marshaling of resources against a hostile world for a brief season, but nothing essential to the faith, and certainly nothing amounting to a political philosophy.

opinions on this sort of take? im assuming there's been a fair amount of academic writing on how leftist concepts have sprung up throughout history?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dietrich Bonhoeffer posted:

When he was challenged by Jesus to accept a life of voluntary poverty, the rich young man knew he was faced with the simple alternative of obedience or disobedience. When Levi was called from the receipt of custom and Peter from his nets, there was no doubt that Jesus meant business. Both of them were to leave everything and follow. Again, when Peter was called to walk on the rolling sea, he had to get up and risk his life. Only one thing was required in each case - to rely on Christ’s word, and cling to it as offering greater security than all the securities in the world. The forces which tried to interpose themselves between the word of Jesus and the response of obedience were as formidable then as they are to-day. Reason and conscience, responsibility and piety all stood in the way, and even the law and ‘scriptural authority’ itself were obstacles which pretended to defend them from going to the extremes of antinomianism and ‘enthusiasms’. But the call of Jesus made short work of all these barriers, and created obedience. That call was the Word of God himself, and all that it required was single-minded obedience.

If, as we read our Bibles, we heard Jesus speaking to us in this way to-day we should probably try to argue ourselves out of it like this: ‘It is true that the demand of Jesus is definite enough, but I have to remember that he never expects us to take his commands legalistically. What he really wants me to have is faith. But my faith is not necessarily tied up with riches or poverty or anything of the kind. We may be both poor and rich in the spirit. It is not important that I should have no possessions, but if I do I must keep them as though I had them not, in other words I must cultivate a spirit of inward detachment, so that my heart is not in my possessions.’ Jesus may have said: ‘Sell thy goods’, but he meant: ‘Do not let it be a matter of consequence to you that you have outward prosperity; rather keep your goods quietly, having them as if you had them not. Let not your heart be in your goods.’ – We are excusing ourselves from single-minded obedience to the word of Jesus on the pretext of legalism and a supposed preference for an obedience ‘in faith’. The difference between ourselves and the rich young man is that he was not allowed to solace his regrets by saying: ‘Never mind what Jesus says, I can still hold on to my riches, but in a spirit of inner detachment. Despite my inadequacy I can take comfort in the thought that God has forgiven me my sins and can have fellowship with Christ in faith.’ But no, he went away sorrowful. Because he would not obey, he could not believe. In this the young man was quite honest. He went away from Jesus and indeed this honesty had more promise than any apparent communion with Jesus based on disobedience. As Jesus realized, the trouble with the young man was that he was not capable of such an inward detachment from riches. As an earnest seeker for perfection he had probably tried it a thousand times before and failed, as he showed by refusing to obey the word of Jesus when the moment of decision came. It is just here that the young man was entirely honest. But we in our sophistry differ altogether from the hearers of Jesus’ word of whom the Bible speaks. If Jesus said to someone: ‘Leave all else behind and follow me; resign your profession, quit your family, your people, and the home of your fathers,’ then he knew that to this call there was only one answer – the answer of single-minded obedience, and that it is only to this obedience that the promise of fellowship with Jesus is given. But we should probably argue thus: ‘Of course we are meant to take the call of Jesus with ‘‘absolute seriousness’’, but after all the true way of obedience would be to continue all the more in our present occupations, to stay with our families, and serve him there in a spirit of true inward detachment.’ If Jesus challenged us with the command: ‘Get out of it’, we should take him to mean: ‘Stay where you are, but cultivate that inward detachment.’ Again, if he were to say to us: ‘Be not anxious’, we should take him to mean: ‘Of course it is not wrong for us to be anxious: we must work and provide for ourselves and our dependants. If we did not we should be shirking our responsibilities. But all the time we ought to be inwardly free from all anxiety.’ Perhaps Jesus would say to us: ‘Whosoever smiteth thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.’ We should then suppose him to mean: ‘The way really to love your enemy is to fight him hard and hit him back.’ Jesus might say: ‘Seek ye first the kingdom of God’, and we should interpret it thus: ‘Of course we should have to seek all sorts of other things first; how could we otherwise exist? What he really means is the final preparedness to stake all on the kingdom of God.’ All along the line we are trying to evade the obligation of single-minded, literal obedience.

How is such absurdity possible? What has happened that the word of Jesus can be thus degraded by this trifling, and thus left open to the mockery of the world? When orders are issued in other spheres of life there is no doubt whatever of their meaning. If a father sends his child to bed, the boy knows at once what he has to do. But suppose he has picked up a smattering of pseudo-theology. In that case he would argue more or less like this: ‘Father tells me to go to bed, but he really means that I am tired, and he does not want me to be tired. I can overcome my tiredness just as well if I go out and play. Therefore though father tells me to go to bed, he really means: ‘‘Go out and play.’’’ If a child tried such arguments on his father or a citizen on his government, they would both meet with a kind of language they could not fail to understand – in short they would be punished. Are we to treat the commandment of Jesus differently from other orders and exchange single-minded obedience for downright disobedience? How could that be possible!

It is possible because there is an element of truth underlying all this sophistry. When Jesus calls the young man to enter into the situation where faith is possible, he does it only with the aim of making the man have faith in him, that is to say, he calls him into fellowship with himself. In the last resort what matters is not what the man does, but only his faith in Jesus as the Son of God and Mediator. At all events poverty or riches, marriage or celibacy, a profession or the lack of it, have in the last resort nothing to do with it – everything depends on faith alone. So far then we are quite right; it is possible to have wealth and the possession of this world’s goods and to believe in Christ – so that a man may have these goods as one who has them not. But this is an ultimate possibility of the Christian life, only within our capacity in so far as we await with earnest expectation the immediate return of Christ. It is by no means the first and the simplest possibility. The paradoxical understanding of the commandments has its Christian justification, but it must never lead to the abandoning of the single-minded understanding of the commandments. This is only possible and right for somebody who has already at some point or other in his life put into action his single-minded understanding, somebody who thus lives with Christ as his disciple and in anticipation of the end. This is the infinitely more difficult, and humanly speaking ‘impossible possibility’, to interpret the call of Jesus in this paradoxical way. And it is just this paradoxical element which exposes his call to the constant danger of being transformed into its very opposite, and used as an excuse for shirking the necessity of concrete obedience. Anybody who does not feel that he would be much happier were he only permitted to understand and obey the commandments of Jesus in a straightforward literal way, and e.g. surrender all his possessions at his bidding rather than cling to them, has no right to this paradoxical interpretation of Jesus’ words. We have to hold the two together in mind all the time.

The actual call of Jesus and the response of single-minded obedience have an irrevocable significance. By means of them Jesus calls people into an actual situation where faith is possible. For that reason his call is an actual call and he wishes it so to be understood, because he knows that it is only through actual obedience that a man can become liberated to believe.

The elimination of single-minded obedience on principle is but another instance of the perversion of the costly grace of the call of Jesus into the cheap grace of self-justification. By this means a false law is set up which deafens men to the concrete call of Christ. This false law is the law of the world, of which the law of grace is at once the complement and the antithesis. The ‘world’ here is not the world overcome in Christ, and daily to be overcome anew in fellowship with him, but the world hardened into a rigid, impenetrable legalistic principle. When that happens grace has ceased to be the gift of the living God, in which we are rescued from the world and put under the obedience of Christ; it is rather a general law, a divine principle, which only needs to be applied to particular cases. Struggling against the legalism of simple obedience, we end by setting up the most dangerous law of all, the law of the world and the law of grace. In our effort to combat legalism we land ourselves in the worst kind of legalism. The only way of overcoming this legalism is by real obedience to Christ when he calls us to follow him; for in Jesus the law is at once fulfilled and cancelled.

By eliminating simple obedience on principle, we drift into an unevangelical interpretation of the Bible. We take it for granted as we open the Bible that we have a key to its interpretation. But then the key we use would not be the living Christ, who is both Judge and Saviour, and our use of this key no longer depends on the will of the living Holy Spirit alone. The key we use is a general doctrine of grace which we can apply as we will. The problem of discipleship then becomes a problem of exegesis as well. If our exegesis is truly evangelical, we shall realize that we cannot identify ourselves altogether with those whom Jesus called, for they themselves are part and parcel of the Word of God in the Scriptures, and therefore part of the message. We hear in the sermon not only the answer which Jesus gave to the young man’s question, which would also be our question, but both question and answer are, as the Word of the Scriptures, contents of the message. It would be a false exegesis if we tried to behave in our discipleship as though we were the immediate contemporaries of the men whom Jesus called. But the Christ whom the Scriptures proclaim is in every word he utters one who grants faith to those only who obey him. It is neither possible nor right for us to try to get behind the Word of the Scriptures to the events as they actually occurred. Rather the whole Word of the Scriptures summons us to follow Jesus. We must not do violence to the Scriptures by interpreting them in terms of an abstract principle, even if that principle be a doctrine of grace. Otherwise we shall end up in legalism.

We must therefore maintain that the paradoxical interpretation of the commandments of Jesus always includes the literal interpretation, for the very reason that our aim is not to set up a law, but to proclaim Christ. There remains just a word to be said about the suspicion that this simple obedience involves a doctrine of human merit, of a facere quod in se est, of insistence on preliminary conditions before faith becomes possible. Obedience to the call of Jesus never lies within our own power. If for instance we give away all our possessions, that act is not in itself the obedience he demands. In fact such a step might be the precise opposite of obedience to Jesus, for we might then be choosing a way of life for ourselves, some Christian ideal, or some ideal of Franciscan poverty. Indeed in the very act of giving away his goods a man can give allegiance to himself and to an ideal and not to the command of Jesus. He is not set free from his own self but still more enslaved to himself. The step into the situation where faith is possible is not an offer which we can make to Jesus, but always his gracious offer to us. Only when the step is taken in this spirit is it admissible. But in that case we cannot speak of a freedom of choice on our part.

And Jesus said unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, It is hard for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. And when the disciples heard it, they were astonished exceedingly, saying, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them said unto them, With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. (Matt. 19.23-26)

The shocked question of the disciples ‘Who then can be saved?’ seems to indicate that they regarded the case of the rich young man not as in any way exceptional, but as typical. For they do not ask: ‘Which rich man?’ but quite generally, ‘Who then can be saved?’ For every man, even the disciples themselves, belongs to those rich ones for whom it is so difficult to enter the kingdom of heaven. The answer Jesus gives showed the disciples that they had understood him well. Salvation through following Jesus is not something we men can achieve for ourselves - but with God all things are possible.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 5, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kanine posted:

opinions on this sort of take? im assuming there's been a fair amount of academic writing on how leftist concepts have sprung up throughout history?
Christianity can't be reduced to a mere worldly agenda. Christ explicitly says he did not come to set up a form of government or an economic system: "my kingdom is not of this world. If it were of this world, then my followers would fight." If he had, the closest success would probably have been the Byzantine empire, not Communism. (The Catholic Integralists tried something like this in the middle of the 20th century and the results were culty and depressing.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 5, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just got out of temple and am on my way to lunch with my mother so pretend i posted about liberation theology

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Senju Kannon posted:

i just got out of temple and am on my way to lunch with my mother so pretend i posted about liberation theology

I am outraged!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

I wish I was that good with words. That's some real solid writing, thanks for posting it.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Kanine posted:

Betteridge's Law of Headlines strikes again.

The problem with saying that early Christianity is Communist (besides the obvious one of it being presentism) is that early Christians were not trying to transform all of society. Their goal was to entirely be set apart from society; St. John Chrysostom is writing to a Christian audience dictating the way that Christians should live. Nobody gave a flying gently caress what the actual government of the Roman Empire was doing. St. Augustine's City of God is not a political treatise.

That was the whole impetus for the Desert Fathers and Mothers to move out to the rear end end of nowhere; they thought that Christianity had been corrupted by society after Constantine and could only be validly practiced away from society.

Communism, actual Communism, seeks a radical change in society and not just simply allowing a bunch of hippies to live in a commune somewhere.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

I am outraged!
I pick up on your outrage but misread your argument!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Communism, actual Communism, seeks a radical change in society and not just simply allowing a bunch of hippies to live in a commune somewhere.
historically, they'd probably kill those hippies first

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

HEY GUNS posted:

Christianity can't be reduced to a mere worldly agenda. Christ explicitly says he did not come to set up a form of government or an economic system: "my kingdom is not of this world. If it were of this world, then my followers would fight." If he had, the closest success would probably have been the Byzantine empire, not Communism. (The Catholic Integralists tried something like this in the middle of the 20th century and the results were culty and depressing.)

Would you mind expanding on this? Because I don't think Christ would have done a lot of things that the Byzantine Empire did.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 5, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

i came out here to have a good time and i feel so attacked right now

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

System Metternich posted:

I'm currently in Hamburg being busy getting wasted with a couple friends, I'll try if I can manage an effort post on Sunday or sometime next week. It's definitely a super interesting topic!

Okay, I'm back now and even somewhat awake, so let me type up a couple a huge loving lot of lines about the Counter-Reformation. Well, the first thing you need to know is that the very word "Counter-Reformation" is actually one that is very much a contentious topic amongst historians and is (at least in German-speaking historiography) slowly being replaced by alternative terms like "Confessionalisation". The reason for this argument is that many see the term "Counter-Reformation" as being too anchored in a Protestant view of things: Protestants got the OG Reformation, Catholics merely and meekly were able to react with a counterfeit reformation of their own. The counter-reformation term did indeed originate in German Protestant and Old Catholic historiography of the late 18th and 19th century, an area that was strongly influenced by anti-Catholic thought. I'm not saying to not use the term (because that ship has probably sailed, it's pretty ubiquituous by now), but just keep in mind the term's history and the fact that the Catholic reaction to Luther's theses (if one can indeed claim that there even was a more or less unified Catholic position) wasn't just reactive but also highly active and creative, driven by its own Catholic agency, and in turn also informed and inspired certain movements within Protestantism.

The second thing you have to know about the "Counter-Reformation" (I'll just keep using that term in this post both for simplicity's sake and also because repeatedly having to type the word "confessionalisation" is kinda annoying) is that it is a phenomenon that a) took a long time, encompassing (depending on who you ask) either the time from 1517 to 1618, the mid-to-late 18th century (which I personally prefer) or even the Second Vatican Council, b) wasn't a clear-cut or straight development, having lots of "fault lines" as well instead, and c) was a multi-layered phenomenon, with the different layers on which the counter-reformation took place being 1. developing an Anti- or Counter-Protestant theology in order to succesfully defend Catholic practice and thought against Protestant attacks, 2. reconfiguring and reforming the Church itself in its structures, hierarchies and rules, 3. developing a new and innovative Catholic theology/spiritual practice more suited to the demands of the time and 4. supporting and propping up Catholic rulers and other influential players while doing the reverse with non-Catholics all over the world and trying to lead a concerted anti-Protestant effort on a political level, while Catholic political players supported the Church as well.

Let's look at the ideal implementation of counter-reformation thought and practice as seen by ultra-montanist historians of the 19th century, who had a decided interest in portraying it as quick and thorough as possible. Peter Hersche offers a somewhat sarcastic summation of countless enthusiastic 19th and 20th century portrayals of spirited and zealous bishop reformers who brought the counter-reformation to their diocese:

Peter Hersche (my translation) posted:

In [post-WW2] Germany, the question [of how the counter-reformation took place] was more urgent than in other countries due to political and cultural reasons - especially clerical authors felt the need to prove that Catholicism hadn't just reacted aggressively to Protestantim by trying to fight back with fire and sword, but also underwent a thorough inner reformation. The [insanely detailed research on the Council of Trent done by German historian Hubert Jedin in the 50s and 60s] inspired a large amount of further studies, most of them local, the type of which still continues to be published. All of them follow more or less the same pattern: Mostly in the years around 1600 (with some belated examples like the Bishop of Münster, Christoph Bernhard von Galen), in each of the German dioceses a tridentine, busy and pious bishop appears, full of zeal and enthusiasm for a Catholic Reformation which is sorely needed in a German Church left in a pitiable state by the Protestant Reformation. First, he chases all remaining Protestants away, if necessary (if he isn't a prince-bishop himself) with the help of Catholic rulers with whom he closely cooperates on all levels anyway. In the same way, all traces of Protestant influence are removed from Catholic rites and theology, such as the communion of both bread and wine. Following the standards and rules set by the Council of Trent, he calls diocesan synods, personally undertakes lots of visitations in all parts of his diocese, establishes a seminary and brings Jesuits and other counter-reformation orders into his lands. He places a special focus on the deficits he finds in the lower clergy; he removes concubines, enforces clercial attire and morals, reminds his priests of their duty to live in their assigned parish, tries to improve the theological education and assigns the priests lots of new pastoral duties, e.g. regularly giving homilies and catechesis. If necessary, he starts new parishes, criticises the poor state of the existing churches (dirt, missing liturgical equipment, inappropriate images), tears down run-down old churches and replaces them with new ones and tries to clearly move the graveyard into the sacral sphere. After the clergy, the laity as well becomes the target of countless directives which aren't just aimed at enforcing religious duties (Easter confession, Sunday Mass, new marriage laws etc.), but also want to improve on public morals: secuality, drunkenness, gluttony, dance, gambling, feasts and working on Sundays are either to be reduced or fully abolished, while new counter-reformation confraternities and religious practices foster further Christianisation. The diocesan administration is optimised, control mechanisms like archdeaneries and rural deans are re-introduced or newly created and the ecclesiastical courts are revived. The epsicopal power is asserted and enlarged at the expense of other ecclesiastical institutions while the influence of laypeople within and on the Church is kept down to a minimum. With all these measures, the Counter-Reformation and the Catholic Reformation is, at least according to these authors, finished.

Again: This is the ideal version of Catholic Reformation as seen by ultramontanist historians who tended and tend to see the whole process from a top-down perspective, or as Hersche describes it: a zealous and reform-minded bishops appears and turns the whole thing around on his own, supported by a Tridentine Council and a clear Church hierarchy. This is obviously a hugely simplified portrayal, but it still lists many facets that were at the core of what we call "Counter-Reformation" - if not in deed, than at least in thought. To return to my initial list of Counter-Reformation layers above:

1. developing an Anti- or Counter-Protestant theology: this was the main domain of the Jesuits, who were at the heart of the development of the so-called "controversial theology", i.e. a combination of Catholic apologetics and anti-Protestant polemics, designed to maximise success in the countless theological debates that were raging especially in early modern Germany. The Protestants developed their own versions of this. Other Catholic orders like the Dominicans or the Capuchins also participated to a large degree here, and my own research seems to indicate that as late as the 1760s, diocesan clergy who minored in theologica polemica (yes, there were university courses in how to own Protestants :v:) were disproportionately frequently to be found in areas close to Protestant territories, though I need to take a closer look in this regard.

2. reconfiguring and reforming the Church itself in its structures, hierarchies and rules: Here, the Council of Trent did a huge amount of groundwork, with the main points being mentioned above by Hersche: seminaries in all dioceses to ensure a well-founded priestly education, diocesan synods and episcopal visitations to enforce the Council's standards even in far-flung and isolated areas, obligatory residence of priests and bishops in their assigned parishes and dioceses... generally speaking, the Church was "hierarchised", with each layer of the ecclesiastical structure being institutionally strengthened against its subordinates with the laypeople on the bottom and the Pope on top. This included a strengthening of parish priests' rights and privileges, broader episcopal powers, a centralisation of the entire Church with Rome in the middle and generally a bureaucratisation and professionalisation of the entire Church structure. The same followed for the numerous religious orders, many or even most of which were in a miserable state during the early 16th century: reinforcing existing rules and a number of new rules and statues aimed at getting rid of corruption and vice within the monasteries revived the orders and brought in a huge number of new and zealous vocations. One aspect of this monastic reform that made a certain kind of sense during this time but had and has negative consequences even today is the sequestration of female religious away from the world; whereas male religious were and are allowed and even supposed to be active in a wide number of fields beyond their monastery's walls (depending on the respective order, naturally), nuns were largely removed from the world altogether and only allowed to operate outside of the monastery in very few and restricted areas.

3. developing a new and innovative Catholic theology/spiritual practice more suited to the demands of the time: again the Council of Trent did a lot of work here. As early as the Council's second session (of 25), the Council Fathers decided that any ecclesiastical reform wasn't complete when it covered just the mechanisms of pastoral work, but needed to reinvigorate Church doctrine as well. This included clarifications on a lot of doctrinal points and a wide range of measures designed to reinvigorate Catholic faith amongst the laity and make it more accessible and interesting to the outsider, like the propagation of (a new kind of) confraternities, pilgrimages, the rosary, processions, religious exercises, rural missions, theatre plays, devotionals, Eucharistic adoration and so on. The new Jesuit pedagogy was hugely important here too, even though it gradually fell out of touch with new pedagogic models during the 18th century and was widely decried as being hopelessly conservative by the time of the dissolution of the Jesuits in 1773, but for a while especially in the 17th century, there were few better schools in Europe than those built by the Jesuits and other orders (like the Ursulines, who cared for girls). The pedagogic efforts included the priestly education, which (outside of France) was mostly done by the Jesuits too. Catholic art, music and literature had been relatively free from ecclesiastical regulation before the Council, but facing the large focus of Lutheranism on music and the general Protestant distaste for exuberant religious imagery, the Council Fathers were forced to define a Catholic position here as well. Movements withing the Church, inspired by Lutheran and Reformed reforms, demanded music to become as simple as possible; this was however turned by the Council into an affirmation that music is an important and proper "adornment" of the liturgy and needs to be well understandable text-wise and free of improper elements which might distract from the theological message behind it. This might sound vague, but it gave Catholic musicians a lot of free wiggle room to create the exuberant and incredibly lively musical culture of the Baroque in the Council's wake. The same went with the visual arts, which were defined as being important vehicles of Catholic messages which therefore needed to be free of "unpure" stuff - just vague enough to make the great surge of Catholic arts later on possible. Literature-wise, the creation of the Roman index made it possible for the Church authorities to control the information flow directed at the laity. While Protestant literature of the age was (outside of France) undeniably much more numerous and qualitatively better in the fields of both fiction and non-fiction works, a huge surge in the publication of printed homilies and prayer books amongst Catholic Europe greatly contributed to the education of Catholics in their faith, while religious theatre was almost non-existent amongst Protestants but very popular and important for Catholics.

4. supporting and propping up Catholic rulers and other influential players while doing the reverse with non-Catholics all over the world and trying to lead a concerted anti-Protestant effort on a political level, while Catholic political players supported the Church as well: you don't need to look further than cuius regio, eius religio in Germany for that. Catholic princes were seen as being morally obligated to propagate their faith by all means possible; religion became politics and politics became religion, even more so than during the Middle Ages. Jesuits were installed as confessors to a huge number of important figures in Europe, directly and indirectly influencing them. Wars were waged, conflicts were negotiated in front of the courts, money and public support were poured out toward Catholic rulers ready to fight for the Church. A hugely important factor here were the Hapsburgs, which were part of the ruling elite not only in the Empire, but also in Spain and for a while even in Portugal with all their colonies, Italy and parts of Eastern Europe. Other Catholic dynasties also had important roles to play here, like the Bourbons in France or the Wittelsbachs in Germany; they all were enlisted into the Catholic effort and propagated their own form of Tridentine/Baroque Catholicism amongst their subjects. An additional aspect of this was the relatively large number of princely conversions in Germany after 1648 from Protestantism to Catholicism, which were purposefully orchestrated especially by the Jesuits and used as an effective propaganda tool against Protestantism.

The various difficulties and fault lines withing this process we call "Counter-Reformation" mustn't be understated, though. In many dioceses there were ten unsuited for the office and/or super baroque bishops for every strict tridentine one; the Church and the State were opponents as often as they were partners; many attempted reforms like regular diocesan synods or the establishment seminaries saw a surge following the Council of Trent, only to "fall asleep" again in the 17th century and to haphardazly be revived in the 18th century, when some Popes tried to finally make the reform demands of Trent reality during what we call the "ripresa tridentina”. This attempt was anything but thorough, however, and found many opponents too. There was lots of resistance against the “Counter-Reformation” not only and even especially within Catholicism itself, from laypeople who didn’t want the Church to dictate their personal religious practices to priests who refused to follow the strict moral standards imposed on them by their Church all the way to bishops who cared more about sweet new palaces and awesome music at their court than proper pastoral care in their dioceses (this is what auxiliary bishops were for, at least in Germany). Famous faces of the Counter-Reformation were openly at odds with each other , with St. Philip Neri reportedly saying: "If I have a real problem, I contemplate what Ignatius [of Loyola] would do ... and then I do the exact opposite" (though to be fair, other than their divergent positions on what Catholic Reform should entail they were actually good friends). Medieval religious practices saw something of a revival during the Baroque, isolated regions like Sicily or Galicia were only really reached by the new reforms during the late 18th or even 19th century, and France did whatever it wanted to do anyways. And yet it was also somewhat of a success: why almost nobody would have batted an eye at a priest having a concubine in 1500, in most areas this would have been more or less unthinkable by 1750. The general educational standards of priests and laypeople alike had risen sharply, the Baroque saw a frankly incredible boom in Catholic art, architecture and music. Many areas that had been majority Protestant by the mid-to-late 16th century were successfully re-catholicised, and Catholicism left the bounds of Europe forever, being brought to and prospering in the Spanish and Portuguese colonies all over the world. There would be much more to say, but I think it’s enough to state that the Counter-Reformation/Catholic Reformation/Confessionalisation or however you want to call it was both an impressive effort and a centuries-long and highly complex historical process full of contradictions that was hugely important to the history of the Church, of Europe and the World.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 5, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
interestingly, despite his opinions about religious toleration, wallenstein really liked jesuits. when it was time to bestow some cash on worthy recipients those were the guys he'd pick. Possibly the education angle, he founded a lot of schools.

Also trent was a mistake

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 13, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pidan posted:

Hey guys since this thread has a bunch of people who know about iconography and new religious movements I have an actual question this time.

One guy I know wears a weird pendant and I'd like to know what it stands for. It's a cross where all four arms are about the same length, and the part that attaches it to the necklace is designed like a goat head. The cross itself only has some geometric decoration.
If the guy was a teenager I'd assume it's a Satanist amulet, but he's a responsible adult. So maybe it's a metal fan thing, or maybe there's some obscure Christian or new religious meaning to it.

If anyone can tell me more about that kind of symbol please tell me, I don't want to ask the guy because I don't want to bring up religion at work.

Are you sure it wasn't a lamb's head?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

I'd assume it's a Satanist amulet, but he's a responsible adult. So maybe it's a metal fan thing, or maybe there's some obscure Christian or new religious meaning to it.

sounds like amon amarth merch, probably a metal fan

some gnostic groups use those types of crosses but I'm unfamiliar with any of them being real real into goats

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
thor's hammer with a goat instead of a top bit? You said the four bits are "about" the same length, is the goat head bit just a little longer?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Worthleast posted:

Stolen from the PYF Funny Pictures thread.
that made the rounds in the milhist thread and tias said it was basically "hegel.jpg" and i didn't contradict him :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

This cacophony harshes my high...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

HEY GUNS posted:

that made the rounds in the milhist thread and tias said it was basically "hegel.jpg" and i didn't contradict him :v:

Why would you ever :v:

pidan posted:

It's similar to this design, but with a cross instead of a hammer, which I haven't been able to find online:

The goat bit is longer if you count the goat, but it's subtle. I googled the Amon Amarth connection but I haven't found that design and it seems sort of unlike them to bring out cross related merch. Lots of hammers though.

Animal parts for the hammer shaft are pretty common on Thor's hammers, because of grave finds with that design. The wolf of Fenris or goats b/c Thor owned goats.

As for having them on a cross, I wouldn't know.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

is it like this? i found it by googling viking cross, which was a suggested search term from thor cross

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Long time no see, chat buddies. Went on a trip to Tucson and visited the Mission San Xavier del Bac while I was there. I'll try to remember to post some of the pics I took, but I'm off to work at the moment.

Also, icons spotted at the Episcopal church in Tucson.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

The goat bit is longer if you count the goat, but it's subtle.
That's a Thor's Hammer then, I've seen cruciform ones in germany. Could be a Christo-pagan like Tias!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My money was on black metal wehraboo.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Given the fact that it's a reversed-crucifix, it seems more likely to me that it's not a declaration of Christian belief, given the popular association of the inverted cross (despite Peter's martyrdom) with Anti-Christian ideology.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I tried listening to the Catholic Stuff You Should Know podcast for a while but hoo boy does it take a turn in the runup to the 2012 election. It was too bad, there were a few hints it was going to break bad (offhand reference to Newt Gingrich as anything other than a charlatan) but it seemed like an okay semi-harmless interesting pleasing podcast to listen to. Kind of morbidly curious to keep listening to see just how enthusiastically these guys ride the Trump train to oblivion.

Welp, owned by a podcast, that's my story.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
welcome friend

it's mostly shitposting and europeans in here

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i was extremely disappointed that the chapo ep with liz bruenig didnt really give her a chance to talk

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

(offhand reference to Newt Gingrich as anything other than a charlatan)

it's okay his wife is the US ambassador to the Vatican now

because they have both lived very moral, very Catholic lives, you see, a perfect choice

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

it's okay his wife is the US ambassador to the Vatican now

because they have both lived very moral, very Catholic lives, you see, a perfect choice
the f****** of this thread, however, are beyond the pale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well they pale in comparison to Paul Ryan, who is (or was ca. 2012) the Perfect Manifestation of What a Catholic Should Sound Like, which is what prompted my reaction. The podcast after making that argument they described at length giving really politically conservative homilies in their liberal parishes and being happy that people walked out because it meant they were not real Catholics.

I feel really lucky I have never had a pastor like that. I've certainly had a few who have made a point of emphasizing the catechism in its fullness, sometimes without couching it as an invitation to perfection none of us are actually capable of fulfilling and blah blah. But never have I had a pastor who dismissed someone walking out as if it meant they won a purity contest.

Makes me really wonder about the seminary in Denver, if it's pumping out priests of this type. The podcast is done by a cohort of them who graduated from that seminary in approx 2010-2013 and are diocesan priests in Denver. Like maybe it's natural for people to be all jacked up on THE TRUTH after seminary and mellow over the years, or maybe this place has pictures of Mel Gibson on the walls or something.

• Locked thread