Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dude, I'm not saying Sega isn't partly or even mostly responsible for this. But the bile fascination extends to even tearing down the good parts of the franchise, because dammit, let's just make the whole experience like rubbing sandpaper on your throat.

It's just kind of wearying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

A game can be objectively terrible (or not as good compared to other games that are similar), but still ultimately be a good, or at least enjoyable/entertaining game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hint: it's because they can't stop making bad games for any real length of time

Nah, most video games companies make bad games. Sega ain't special.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Jeremey Parish review seemed fine to me. He wasn’t just making GBS threads on the game for clicks or to make a joke or anything. He also does the Retronauts podcast which is great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I read the review and I don't get the issues they have about the ranking system being based on time and score.

Isn't that... how it's always been?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Nah, most video games companies make bad games. Sega ain't special.

Yeah but Sega has a special ability to go directly backwards from proven, winning formulas

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

I read the review and I don't get the issues they have about the ranking system being based on time and score.

Isn't that... how it's always been?

Besides ring bonuses (which are also in Forces), yeah there have been a couple of times where other things factor into rankings. Having not read the review, my best guess is that they may be talking about Generations having the Perfect Bonus, since you can die multiple times in a Forces level and still get S rank.

edit: Actually reading the review, his rankings complaints make absolutely no sense. I don't think this guy plays many Action games with ranking systems. Or Sonic games, for that matter.

I think this guys's point is, partly, that Forces rankings are a complete joke. They're easy even compared to Generations, which already had horrifically easy S-Ranks in the base stages.

Zelder posted:

Another cool fact that I uncovered by web snooping, the reviewer picked up the game literally one day before reviewing it:

Sonic Forces looks to be really short. Like really short, like maybe as long as Sonic Mania at a slow pace length. I can conceivably see a reviewer beating this in a single sitting after spending a little time on it.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 7, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zelder posted:

Yeah but Sega has a special ability to go directly backwards from proven, winning formulas

Many video games companies have made bad games after previously having made games that were considered good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I do respect Sega for not selling forces at full price. It's probably not worth 40 either, but it's definitely not worth 60

Schwarzwald posted:

Many video games companies have made bad games after previously having made games that were considered good.

Okay

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ventana posted:

edit: Actually reading the review, his rankings complaints make absolutely no sense. I don't think this guy plays many Action games with ranking systems. Or Sonic games, for that matter.

I think this guys's point is, partly, that Forces rankings are a complete joke. They're easy even compared to Generations, which already had horrifically easy S-Ranks in the base stages.

His complaint is that the game is basically on-rails with very little in the way of branching routes and exploration, and that the ranking system de-emphasises those elements even further by prioritising speedy clear times above all else.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, I'm streaming a bunch of weird and goofy "modern" Sonic stuff for the release of Forces.

https://synchtu.be/r/mikescorner

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, yeah. I see what he means now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think a part that adds into the timer distress is that cutscenes event are timed too, and theres levels that start you off at ten seconds, while previous games start the clock once you havr control.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/927700445744660480

Switch and PC players have to wait.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

His complaint is that the game is basically on-rails with very little in the way of branching routes and exploration, and that the ranking system de-emphasises those elements even further by prioritising speedy clear times above all else.

That's what I mean by him not playing Sonic games though, because speedy clear times has mostly been how rankings worked functionally, not even needing alternate paths. It's only Unleashed, Generations (for the doppleganger races), and Colors DS where alternate paths were mostly necessary for the highest rankings.

The points of being on-rails, lack of route-branches and exploration I understand, even if it's a somewhat conflated argument given the nature of Boost style gameplay. I don't at all agree that the ranking system is aiding that point somehow when it mostly follows what the franchise has done previously.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2017

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^e:yeah that sounds like the problem is with the level-design rather than the ranking system. If the obvious, easiest path is the fastest that's not going to encourage exploration at all.

When sequels are worse games than their predecessors they rightfully get bad reviews.

I hope that everyone still onboard with forces has a good time with it, there aren't many games that play like modern sonic and I hear there's at least a couple of decent stages buried in there. How many of us grit our teeth and put up with the Werehog to get our fix? While the pay-off seems worse at least the filler isn't quite as punishing this time round.

I'll probably pick it up when it's £15 in a year or so.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 7, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I watched the Episode Shadow footage and

I don't get what's so "hilarious" about Infinite's backstory. I mean, it's not exactly the most creative poo poo in the world, but it's not some elaborate, science fantasy plot that doesn't hold up to scrutiny like Mephiles and Iblis. I mean "angry tough guy gets his rear end kicked and he goes to drastic measures to prove he isn't weak" is a pretty standard backstory for a bad guy in Japanese-originating media like this one. I've even seen a variation of it in frikkin Pokemon once.

I dunno. I'm not saying it's noteworthy, or that it makes Infinite a compelling character at all, but I just don't get what's so "hilarious" and "edgy" about it. In fact, it's pretty safe and standard.

Hell, anime tough guy driven to exceed his rival's abilities by gaining new power is even METAL SONIC'S motivation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People are going to laugh at Sonic and you just have to deal with it, guy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just trying to understand this particular issue.

I mean it's not like there isn't plenty of other stuff in this game to focus on.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've now played about an hour and change of Sonic Forces and I can confirm that all three character feel like garbage to control. Well, 3D Sonic and Avatar play pretty much identically so you can almost say two characters. Either way, in 3D you rocket off uncontrollably in a direction when you hold it for a second, and changing your course without just stopping is pretty much impossible. Yes, even more impossible than it was in Generations. Quickstepping, meanwhile, sends you careening off to the side with about two times as much distance as it feels like the levels are built for so if you thought you could be using that as your main method of sideways movement, think again. You tend to just collide into the wall or fly off the stage if there is none there at the moment.

In 2D, we aren't faring much better, as somehow the feeling of the movement and physics are again worse than they were in Generations. Jumping carries some sort of super weird heavy momentum with it, and even just moving left and right on solid ground doesn't quite have the responsiveness it should. In general across all the controls schemes, it just feels really stiff and unresponsive no matter what you're doing. It doesn't kill the game for me but it sure does make it feel unpolished.

A smaller disappointment: the stage background music is mixed pretty low, and there's no audio sliders to be found in the game. Wanna hear those sweet tunes!

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean it's not like there isn't plenty of other stuff in this game to focus on.

Sega was dumb enough to try and emphasize the 'plot' in a Sonic game again and thus are gonna get their much deserved mocking.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Everything about Infinite is worthy of mockery I think, and his motivation doesn't seem to be a swerve in that regard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Sega was dumb enough to try and emphasize the 'plot' in a Sonic game again and thus are gonna get their much deserved mocking.

Dumb? That's like half the reason I bought the game. They know exactly what they're doing in this case.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mycot posted:

Isn't it basically impossible to reference it in any way because it touched the poop of the Pender's echidna stuff before it all got excised?

It's not established whether or not Penders owns the stuff in Chronicles. He couldn't sue over it because of the statute of limitations, so it's up in the air unless they do a followup or something. But yeah, I'm sure that they don't want to deal with a Penders lawsuit, however stupid, over a game that flopped anyway

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don't get what makes this angry anime bad guy that much more egregious than the angry anime bad guy they've had since Sonic CD. Like, okay, if the plot is like 06's, I get it. Mock away.

Forces, and Infinite himself, are far less ambitious in comparison. In fact, the character and story seem rather safe in comparison even to stuff like SA2. Is the fandom's tolerance for this stuff so low that simply being evil and angry is justification for all this?

I mean I saw people call the Hardboiled Heavies "too much" so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic adventure 2 has a ridiculous plot as well but it has the chao garden so it's forgiven. Clearly forces should have included a chao garden

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

Did anyone in this thread call it an issue? I think Omni was the only person who posted about Infinite's backstory and seemed to call him more of a dweeb. Not really an issue or anything hilarious or anything egregious, as you've been calling out against. I'm not exactly sure who or what you're arguing against, here.

I think Infinite's backstory is simplistic enough that it's almost silly. Not a "Man this game is so bad it's hilarious" silly like Mephiles the Dark adds to Sonic 06; it's just a slight laugh at the more comical background for a more serious-edgy villain than I was expecting. If anything it's refreshing to have something to laugh at in an innocent way.

Tbh I think it all fits the game's tone. It has random dark things like torture, an endless 6 month war, and stuff, but the game never takes any of that seriously and just jokes most of that stuff away. Despite potentially given bad first impressions, that tone ends up not really being bad.

VVVVVV Oh, fandoms will pretty much always be dumb so I wouldn't worry about them

Ventana fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 7, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm mostly trying to understand the fandom's reaction in general, not so much just this thread.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Metal Sonic is cooler than Infinite incidentally. :colbert:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean I saw people call the Hardboiled Heavies "too much" so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Those people are wrong, the Hardboiled Heavies own.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Metal Sonic is cooler because robots are cooler than fleshbags.

The series best characters are Metal Sonic, Omega, and E-102 Gamma. Everyone else is just there to make them look cooler.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Metal Sonic is cooler than Infinite incidentally. :colbert:

Infinitely cooler, even

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the game just doesnt look that fun dude

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zelder posted:

Sonic adventure 2 has a ridiculous plot as well but it has the chao garden so it's forgiven. Clearly forces should have included a chao garden

Yeah, why the gently caress has that not come back yet as a mobile game at least? I used to play the VMU games with my cousin and everything. I love those little guys.:3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sega lost the source and can't be hosed remaking it, probably.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Zelder posted:

No matter how this game is scored, we have to remember something. Because someone in a big name company didn’t like the game and wrote an article about it doesn’t mean YOU won’t like it. We are the true Sonic fans. We have a connection with these characters. Many critics don’t.
Imagine never watching the Office before, and then seeing only the last episode. Are you going to feel any emotion? Any connection? Of course not.
Many of us have been with these characters our whole lives. By no means am I saying this game will be great. But I will enjoy it, because it’s Sonic. Because I have a love for the character and the universe that no critic seems to share. And no matter the outcome of this game, at the end of the day we will be there to support Sonic at the next game, and the next.
As fans, we can find enjoyment in the most unlikely of places. Even Sonic ‘06. I will play the heck out of this game regardless of its reviews. Who cares if it gets a poor score? This game is for us. Not them.
Let’s just be happy to see the Blue Blur back in action, and always hope for better next time.

the sonic the hedgehog reddit looks like loving jonestown right now, lol

what the gently caress is this post

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I hope reddit sonic fan can find peace in this life or another

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm mostly trying to understand the fandom's reaction in general, not so much just this thread.

I mean, it's more the fact that the story overall is told poorly with tons of questionable decisions. It's not funny in an over the top "a human princess just kissed Sonic's corpse" way, but it's funny in an "everything is absurdly anticlimactic" way. The plot itself isn't super absurd, but it's totally phoned in and it shows.
Infinite's backstory is funny because after all the hype and questions we have in the main game that go unanswered, it turns out he's a mook who lost to Shadow and threw a tantrum. All of this was established in an incredibly short cutscene and is never relevant again. He doesn't even talk to Shadow in the main game. Speaking of which, what was Shadow even doing for the 6 months or so before the cutscene where he appears? Everyone thinks the fake Shadows are the real thing but there is literally nothing preventing Shadow from helping out. The end of Episode Shadow is even Rouge telling him to come over right before the cutscene where Sonic loses plays.

Just when you think the answer to a question you have about the story can't be more underwhelming than your last one, you're proven wrong.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

by web snooping i assume they mean reading jeremy's twitter feed

snoop-ing as usual I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Serious question: Is this after the 1.01 patch? I'm curious if that is out already, and if it helps the controls at all.