Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Sighence posted:

Eh, the escape room place is very dragged down by being next to this K-Mart. Don't get me wrong, the room I went to in it was a very average escape room, but it being next to a K-Mart, let alone this K-Mart, drags it down to dismal levels. Something about the vast sea of yellow painted lines on cracked pavement and unwashed off-white, I guess. Gonna have to try that Indian buffet though; how's it compare to Swagat?

They have a lot more variety, and their veggie curries are pretty good. Swagat's dinner menu is better but that place's lunch is probably the better of the two.

(There's another lunch buffet called Bollywood Bites where Murray meets Cornell north of 26; the food's lousy but they project cool Bollywood films in the dining room so, eh.)

Also how are 'escape rooms' a business that even exists in substantial number? I just noticed there's one over by the Uwajimaya as well, and there are at least 2 or 3 in Portland proper. Is the concept really that popular? I always thought it was just a stupid genre of flash games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Segmentation Fox posted:

Also how are 'escape rooms' a business that even exists in substantial number? I just noticed there's one over by the Uwajimaya as well, and there are at least 2 or 3 in Portland proper. Is the concept really that popular? I always thought it was just a stupid genre of flash games.
A surprising number of professionals use them as group dynamics/professional development spaces.

As in 'next week we'll go to an Escape Room to learn how to work as a team!'

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

FilthyImp posted:

A surprising number of professionals use them as group dynamics/professional development spaces.

As in 'next week we'll go to an Escape Room to learn how to work as a team!'

That sounds like the off-site from hell.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's really cheap to set up an escape room and people will pay a surprising amount for it.

Don't think I've ever been to a good one though.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
My family loves doing them. We've got two set up in my town, which is pretty much filled with their target audience (affluent middle class families and tech companies).

One of them is in the centre of town and is also a VR lounge or something similar. Still need to go to that one, but I've heard good things.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

there is something intrinsically hilarious to me about an escape room being next to a K-Mart

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Hattie Masters posted:

My family loves doing them. We've got two set up in my town, which is pretty much filled with their target audience (affluent middle class families and tech companies).

One of them is in the centre of town and is also a VR lounge or something similar. Still need to go to that one, but I've heard good things.

Do we live in the same Southern Ontario town? I've never been to the escape rooms here but there is a VR place here that uses the HTC vive and another that just opened that uses Oculus.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

It's definitely reached saturation out here though. I have little doubt that the concept will qualify for the thread in its own right sooner than later, because it's too easy to do poorly. If it's done properly those flash games shouldn't be an apt comparison, and for me when I did them more frequently I'd say maybe a third managed that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Segmentation Fox posted:

That sounds like the off-site from hell.

I went to one a few years ago, wasn't with work though. It certainly does become a tool to figure out who among you is a loving moron who will gently caress everything up if they're not supervised at all times.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

kumba posted:

The one in Gainesville lives on. I'm perplexed.

What, the garbage rear end one behind the Krystal? Jesus H, that thing has been poo poo since like 2000, and I know the Oaks mall has to be crashing. Good riddance to all that bullshit.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Quidam Viator posted:

What, the garbage rear end one behind the Krystal? Jesus H, that thing has been poo poo since like 2000, and I know the Oaks mall has to be crashing. Good riddance to all that bullshit.

Oaks seems to be doing well all things considered, the parking lot is usually full whenever I drive by it. I think that's mostly restaurant pull, though. The Subway in the food court went out of business, which I think is the only Subway I've ever seen fail, so it's got that going for it.

As for the Kmart, yeah, it's still there and still a poo poo hole. Same goes for the Krystal :v:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I've never heard of an 'escape room' in that context before, I must be losing touch with reality as I age. :(

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Do we live in the same Southern Ontario town? I've never been to the escape rooms here but there is a VR place here that uses the HTC vive and another that just opened that uses Oculus.

We definitely don't but it doesn't surprise me that there are more than one that use that basic business idea. I would stake my name on both of the concepts being fads and dying out in the nearish future.

Which is a shame since whilst I give very few fucks about VR I do quite enjoy the puzzle solving of Escape Rooms.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Weird Kmart background music thing: is it just me or has Kmart not changed their background music system since the mid/late 90s? In the couple of times I shopped there it was a mix of early/mid 90s music.

What's odd too is I recall visiting this mall in Ohio and noticing the odd choice in music back around 2005, and it seems like in 2017 they are still playing the same stuff. My understanding is that in the mid-90s they stopped using cassettes and started using a satellite feed to broadcast background music/announcements to all their stores. Maybe they had music licensed with an unlimited use royalty, and just were too cheap to never change it? Like the record company executive was thinking "OK, we licensed them these fifty songs to use... there's no way in hell they would be caught dead re-using the same music for more than five years!" I am pretty sure that they need to pay royalties for the music they send to however many dozen stores are still open.

Or maybe the people in charge just really like "Cotton-Eyed Joe" and "Twilight Zone" (the one by 2Unlimited, not Golden Earring). And "Conga".

I need to solve this mystery.

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Nov 7, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Three-Phase posted:

Weird Kmart background music thing: is it just me or has Kmart not changed their background music system since the mid/late 90s? In the couple of times I shopped there it was a mix of early/mid 90s music.

What's odd too is I recall visiting this mall in Ohio and noticing the odd choice in music back around 2005, and it seems like in 2017 they are still playing the same stuff. My understanding is that in the mid-90s they stopped using cassettes and started using a satellite feed to broadcast background music/announcements to all their stores. Maybe they had music licensed with an unlimited use royalty, and just were too cheap to never change it? Like the record company executive was thinking "OK, we licensed them these fifty songs to use... there's no way in hell they would be caught dead re-using the same music for more than five years!" I am pretty sure that they need to pay royalties for the music they send to however many dozen stores are still open.

Or maybe the people in charge just really like "Cotton-Eyed Joe" and "Twilight Zone" (the one by 2Unlimited, not Golden Earring). And "Conga".

I need to solve this mystery.

I mean, Cotton-Eyed Joe is really good, so it's a possibility.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm guessing too many people just stopped showing up for work since there's a "Now Hiring" sign in the Sears I passed by in Ottawa Canada. It was right next to all the liquidation signs.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The last time I was in a K-mart they were definitely playing '90s music.

But then again, it was the '90s.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My fiancee is normally the sweetest person in the world, kind to all animals, cares deeply about the poor and needy, etc. etc..

But she worked at KMart a few years back and she violently lusts for their annihilation. When they razed hers to the loving ground a couple years ago she was so overjoyed she drove by the place to celebrate and also make sure it was done.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Mister Adequate posted:

My fiancee is normally the sweetest person in the world, kind to all animals, cares deeply about the poor and needy, etc. etc..

But she worked at KMart a few years back and she violently lusts for their annihilation. When they razed hers to the loving ground a couple years ago she was so overjoyed she drove by the place to celebrate and also make sure it was done.

goddamn, get some stories out of her

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

To be fair.. they haven't changed anything since the mid 90s.. So having the same background music for as long is not really a stretch of the imagination. :D

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mister Adequate posted:

Buy her an account and point her towards A/T.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

You've indirectly led me to buy the soundtracks to Command & Conquer + Red Alert with this pose, so well done.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm certain there is or was a torture simulation company which was billed as an even more intense experience than an escape room.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

RandomPauI posted:

I'm certain there is or was a torture simulation company which was billed as an even more intense experience than an escape room.

there's a haunted house kind of place that basically beats the poo poo out of you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCzXSjujkE

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If the house ain't haunted, I'ma fix that myself.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sunshine89 posted:

Ding ding ding we have a winner! :toot:

Meanwhile, inline mall stores like Gap, J.Crew, Club Monaco and Ann Taylor are caught in a perpetual fire sale trap- nobody ever pays full price for anything, which sends the message to those that can pay full price that the goods aren't worth full price.

I only ever bought two things from CM: a sweater, and a pair of jeans. I bought the jeans and then went to GAP, where I noticed the CM jeans were fake selvedge (I'm not sure if manufacturers do this anymore, but they use stitching to fake selvedge, and I just didn't notice). I bought a cheaper pair of jeans that were actually selvedge from GAP and went to return the CM jeans... except they wouldn't take them back. Even when they brought in the manager, because they had a firm No Returns policy.

What a way to lose a customer, I was dumb in my 20's and would have shopped there for years.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Professor Shark posted:

I only ever bought two things from CM: a sweater, and a pair of jeans. I bought the jeans and then went to GAP, where I noticed the CM jeans were fake selvedge (I'm not sure if manufacturers do this anymore, but they use stitching to fake selvedge, and I just didn't notice). I bought a cheaper pair of jeans that were actually selvedge from GAP and went to return the CM jeans... except they wouldn't take them back. Even when they brought in the manager, because they had a firm No Returns policy.

What a way to lose a customer, I was dumb in my 20's and would have shopped there for years.

I worked in a mall with a Club Monaco and I went in there, shopped around a bit, really hit it off with the manger who said I should fill out an application. I filled it all out, turned it in, and the store closed a week later. To this day I'm baffled why someone would tell me to apply knowing the store is closing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McPhearson posted:

To this day I'm baffled why someone would tell me to apply knowing the store is closing.
Two reasons come to mind:

A] Employee attrition would have been ridiculous if they knew it was closing up. You get some that stay it out, but a lot start shooting off to other service jobs as soon as a steady paycheck becomes a question.

B] could be that the manager wanted to hit some kind of new employee sign-up metric to make sure they were transferred out and not just sacked when their store closed.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Funko stock has worst first day drop in Wall Street history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funkos really strike me as the Beanie Babies of the 2010s.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't think anyone's buying Funko Pops because they expect them to be valuable in the future, they're mostly buying because they're
a) cheap, and
b) making stuff for lots of popular properties that don't get much merchandising, including old cult movies and shows that haven't had any new merchandise in years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You'd be surprised, but you're probably right for the vast majority of people. Just at this point I imagine they've hit peak saturation point, given the few corners of nostalgia not currently being milked are usually only because of legal issues.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Funkos are just Precious Moments figures for millenials

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Pakled posted:

I don't think anyone's buying Funko Pops because they expect them to be valuable in the future, they're mostly buying because they're
a) cheap, and
b) making stuff for lots of popular properties that don't get much merchandising, including old cult movies and shows that haven't had any new merchandise in years

LOL if you dont think some people see them as investments.

Theyre the new Beanie Babies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

very apt

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait. There’s a Funkos stock?

Oh. An IPO.

Wait. There’s a Funkos IPO?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Two reasons come to mind:

A] Employee attrition would have been ridiculous if they knew it was closing up. You get some that stay it out, but a lot start shooting off to other service jobs as soon as a steady paycheck becomes a question.

B] could be that the manager wanted to hit some kind of new employee sign-up metric to make sure they were transferred out and not just sacked when their store closed.

Plenty of businesses get closed with little to no notice. The employees just show up to work one day to find the doors chained shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pakled posted:

a) cheap, and
How much do you make that $30 for an ugly chunk of vinyl that only vaguely resembles the thing it's advertised to be is cheap?