Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kyrosiris posted:

Worth noting that the Alarak announcer is a legendary announcer, and thus costs 1600 doritos.

I mean it's worth it, but just for the record.

E: Holy poo poo it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCMhBH-Sg8o

"Your keep has been taken!...oh the irony..."

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Victory...more or less."

Yeah that's the stuff, slam that poo poo right into my veins.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I'm currently playing some Li Li on the test server, will report back.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress I was saving up for the junkrat announcer but god drat i can't not have john de lancie in my ears at all times

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Kerrrrrrr posted:

gently caress I was saving up for the junkrat announcer but god drat i can't not have john de lancie in my ears at all times

He charges $10K per word I bet

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

He charges $10K per word I bet

i mean his words are like gold leaf caviar so yeah that seems about right

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Blizzcon interview with lead game designer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hEKsAkY0k

Mostly just thought process behind gameplay update, with a couple of new bits of info:

• Stealth standing still for 1.5 seconds become 100% invisible
  • The above probably won't be true on "stand here" objectives
  • Performance-based MMR uses machine learning (unclear if this is their first use of ML in HotS or if MVP system uses this)
  • Very different from OW's
  • Uses 20 different stats, compares you to your peers based on A) the hero you're playing B) the battleground C) your MMR and D) game length
  • It won't ever make you lose more MMR when losing, but it can make you lose less if your stats are good (I mean isn't that functionally the same?)
  • 3rd bans for ranked maybe in 2018, now that there are enough heroes in each role.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah they're basically going to look for behavior patterns and adjust your mmr if your behavior matches that of higher-performing players. It's an interesting approach but I can't see it as a good idea.

I'd also like them to get rid of promotion games entirely even if it causes people to bounce between ranks more, they make no sense and make the favored/disfavored rating way too important and make specific games too intense.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Community: "Please let me buy individual skins with gems! Gambling doesn't make economic sense but I still want to pay you for skins"
*Shriveled monkey paw curls a finger*

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21182206/upcoming-changes-to-hero-launch-skins-and-bundles-11-6-2017

quote:

In order to make this change, Hero launch skins starting with Alexstrasza will be classified as “gem-only” skins. Gem-only skins will not drop in Loot Chests and cannot be forged with Shards, but they will remain permanently available for purchase using gems. Skins that are gem-only will be clearly identified as such in the Collection UI, so they should be easy to differentiate from forgeable skins.

The above fails to mention that these skins aren't available stand-alone, but only as part of a bundle:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

Yeah they're basically going to look for behavior patterns and adjust your mmr if your behavior matches that of higher-performing players. It's an interesting approach but I can't see it as a good idea.

I'd also like them to get rid of promotion games entirely even if it causes people to bounce between ranks more, they make no sense and make the favored/disfavored rating way too important and make specific games too intense.

It's kind of behavior patterns, but with only 20 variables it's probably more general stats like "merc camp participation" and not specific things like "kerrigan combo hit %" or "peeling divers off your backline"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think they specifically cited kerrigan combo stun duration as an example variable. There's a limit to what they can track, but I assume that things like merc timings will even make it in there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BrianBoitano posted:

Community: "Please let me buy individual skins with gems! Gambling doesn't make economic sense but I still want to pay you for skins"

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21182206/upcoming-changes-to-hero-launch-skins-and-bundles-11-6-2017

The above fails to mention that these skins aren't available stand-alone, but only as part of a bundle:

Isn't this just a complete 180 back to what existed before? That's really assholish of them. I can see them making them uncraftable, but ffs at least let them stay in the chests. Or, remove them from chests, but let them be craftable at great cost. Pretty lovely move.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

No Wave posted:

Why isn't it a good idea? If you are winning and doing things that other winning/good players do, why shouldn't you get a little bit of an extra reward? Or, if you are on a poo poo team but performing particularly well, it's nice to not get punished quite as much. If you are getting carried then you will still get "regular" points, you just won't get anything extra.

If your concern is that it will lead to weird gameplay to game the system, I'd say wait and see. People (including myself) thought splitting takedowns into kills and assists would make people play weird or get toxic, and it really didn't matter. If gaming the system ultimately leads to a win then... ?

The bottom line is, playing ranked in this game is mentally exhausting and if you get entrenched into a rank, it can be really hard to get out. If you improve yourself and play really well, getting a little extra reward for wins/less loss for a loss will be feel a lot better.

beejay fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 6, 2017

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
If gaming the system means that dumb pugs are going to play more cautiously and care about hitting combos, camps, and etc..., I don't see how it is anything but a giant positive. Suicidal pugs are the worst.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It's similar to the analytical movement in sports: You want to emphasize the things that consistently lead to winning. Something like OBP in baseball or maximizing expected goals in soccer or hockey are always a good thing. If they've identified things per each map or character that are done by the best players, that'll make the MMR more accurate in less time, regardless of team comp.

Weighting Wins vs in-game skill will be important, though, and it does sound like they are still making winning the priority. That which is measured, improves.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Lost a game last night as Johanna where I out damaged both assassins. Also had a syl who died 18 times. Hopefully this new MMR thing would slam me less bad for that loss?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's been a lot of contention with regard to performance-based metrics in Overwatch precisely because Blizzard is incredibly opaque about it in order to prevent people from gaming it, the end result of which is that there are a million different "I heard from my mother's cousin's aunt" tales of how such and such a character has disproportionate SR gains/losses and why poo poo is broken. Sometimes this seems to be born out as Blizzard has occasionally released patchnotes that indicate that they've had to go back and tinker with things, early in the game's competitive history people who played support heroes seemed to be getting placed lower and/or gaining less SR than people playing other heroes, even when they were in full stacks. Why? Nobody really knows for sure, there are some educated guesses as to how the performance-based metrics work, but on the whole it's a lot like poking a black box with a stick.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Lost a game last night as Johanna where I out damaged both assassins. Also had a syl who died 18 times. Hopefully this new MMR thing would slam me less bad for that loss?

I obviously don't know about your specific game, but ime when tanks are whining about doing more dps than the assassins it's usually because they're chasing after kills and doing a poo poo job protecting and enabling their dps like they're supposed to.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah there's a number of reasons Johanna can be outdamaging the assassins and her not doing her job as a tank properly could be one. Not saying that's the case with your specific match but it's not really valid to look at raw numbers like damage dealt to heroes and then try to paint a picture of how individuals performed.

Rather than you not getting punished as bad, I would think the system would not be cutting your assassins much slack when deciding how much to drop their rating. It would also be weighted against the 20-whatever other criteria.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
There's only one reason that Johanna should be out-damaging an Assassin, and that's because whoever is playing that Assassin is total poo poo.

Ideally people who post double-digit deaths and bottom out the damage meters on pure damage heroes would be severely punished by the machine-learning MMR system.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Actually mixed up matches. Won the Johanna match; the syl dying 18 times was a different one. It was on BoE so our Samuro was mostly hitting the immortal and our kaelthezad just kinda missed every skillshot while I was slamming bunched up dudes with the shield all game.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

They're gonna use support vector machines. The model of features is going to be whatever they can easily compute either character specific, match specific or map specific. They're going to prune features that are NA to character, role or map. And then they're going to try to guess the outcome and if their trained ML model says, "players that play like this is this league under these circumstances tend to {win, lose}" and then they'll try to guess whether your team {won, lost} given an aggregate of the data. If you won and your team lost, lose less mmr. If you lost and team won, gain less mmr. Win win means gain standard mmr. Lose lose means lose standard mmr.

E: win/lose probably wrt the ratings/rankings of other people in the game.

It's not rocket science :)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

BrianBoitano posted:

Welp I'm never gonna be able to play as Booberella now :smith:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
With Alarak getting an announcer, all we need now is Uther getting one where always talks in a super obvious and condenscending tone, like he does in the tutorial

"The match is about to start, you should probably mount up to get to the lane with your team."
"Hmm, you died. Next time try to avoid letting your HP drop to zero to avoid that."
"That fort is destroyed. Good job doing that, now you can push farther in that lane."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spudd posted:

Welp I'm never gonna be able to play as Booberella now :smith:

Guess I'll use the shards I was saving for that on D.Va the destroyer or the Alarak announcer. :rip:

No Wave posted:

That manufactured bit of PR brought to you by the company that released Widowmaker the next year.

Yeah, but I mean... So? It's not like Metzen 100% designed every hero in Overwatch, and even if he did, the Overwatch cast is pretty diverse. I mean I guess you can argue there's no ugly women but again... So?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 7, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean I guess you can argue there's no ugly women but again... So?

Don't worry Moira's got you covered!

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Tychus is still the best announcer.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

check his pockets

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Is there any difference between "legendary announcer" and regular announcers, other than the price?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

check his pockets

...What?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

Woah, get a load of this extremely awful opinion.

It's a Gazlowe joke.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Erdricks posted:

Is there any difference between "legendary announcer" and regular announcers, other than the price?

The legendary announcers tend to have way better lines, basically.

More effort put in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BrianBoitano posted:

I love the part where they say "we can't offer these for both gems and shards at the same time" with no actual explanation for why that is.

Also the part where they gloss over the fact that they're going to launch these bundles with more skins included than before, which means the price is going up after they graciously keep Alex and Hanzo at the old price.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2017

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kai Tave posted:

It's a Gazlowe joke.
The "what?" is part of the joke too. :ssh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MMAgCh posted:

The "what?" is part of the joke too. :ssh:

poo poo, hoisted upon my own mecha-petard.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
drat I rolled the exact Greymane halloween tint I wanted upon opening the chest. This event has been significantly more fruitful than any OW thing that's for sure.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Worth noting that the Alarak announcer is a legendary announcer, and thus costs 1600 doritos.

I mean it's worth it, but just for the record.

E: Holy poo poo it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCMhBH-Sg8o

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Wow second loving time you have been dead wrong what’s happening

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I opened a Brightwing Halloween skin and my brother's girlfriend opened a Greymane halloween skin. I play Greymane, she plays Brightwing. :smith:

Are the skins only available during this? Since Alex's skin isn't going to be shard-able I might get Valeera's halloween skin if they aren't going to be available after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Are the skins only available during this? Since Alex's skin isn't going to be shard-able I might get Valeera's halloween skin if they aren't going to be available after.

Yeah, Halloween skins/sprays/mounts/etc are only available during the Halloween event. If there's something you want, get it now or you'll have to wait til next year.