Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The tiste always seemed low on the popularity scale. I don't remember much jumping for joy when the trilogy was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I was initially interested because I thought it was gonna be Anomander adventures.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guyver posted:

The reason Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light didn't sell well is pretty obvious to me. Except for the one scene with the sisters and the few with dragons the book was pretty mundane. Well as mundane as not-elves coming to terms with their newly minted corporeal goddess of darkness can get anyway. Don't get me wrong I really liked both of them but it didn't get the blood up like the stuff in BotF. Which is kind of sad because Walk in Shadow probably would have ramped the action up.
what makes a book "mundane" and why is it bad?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

I was initially interested because I thought it was gonna be Anomander adventures.
I was actually afraid it would end up in that. And I'm really glad it did not.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Holy poo poo. I'm guessing the cancellation was at least partially due to Erikson not wanting to work on the trilogy or not knowing how to finish it. Fall of Light featured a lot of walking from place to place in circles with nothing much happening, sort of reminiscent of later ASOIAF.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
FoD and FoL were the best, fuckkkk waiting. Oh well at least I have Dancer's Lament.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what makes a book "mundane" and why is it bad?
The gulf between magic assassin fights with demon dragon battles and not-elf religious politicking is pretty wide.

And I didn't say it was bad, in fact I said I liked them both, but maybe it wasn't what fans wanted.

Though apparently they thought of that angle and figured it wasn't the reason.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm kinda sad because I was really looking forward to more Hood backstory. But Karsa and the fallout from the main series is such a sweet alternative I can't really be too upset. I'm sure he'll get around to Walk in Shadow when he's ready.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guyver posted:

The gulf between magic assassin fights with demon dragon battles and not-elf religious politicking is pretty wide.

And I didn't say it was bad, in fact I said I liked them both, but maybe it wasn't what fans wanted.

Though apparently they thought of that angle and figured it wasn't the reason.

Fair enough yeah, I don't want to be the local BraveLampyBoi or whatever his name is.

I do wonder if starting a new trilogy is the best idea, especially if word gets out that he already has an unfinished previous one. We'll see!!

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fair enough yeah, I don't want to be the local BraveLampyBoi or whatever his name is.

I do wonder if starting a new trilogy is the best idea, especially if word gets out that he already has an unfinished previous one. We'll see!!

If Brandon Sanderson can jump back and forth between his dozen different ongoing series, Erikson can do the same between the two (three with the sci-fi one) series he's got going now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The difference is Erikson's stuff is actually good.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

....Bring on Karsa!

is there real talk of a book about Karsa or just our hopes and dreams

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

BraveJoe posted:

is there real talk of a book about Karsa or just our hopes and dreams

Uh yes this whole conversation is about how Erikson will write the first Karsa trilogy book instead of finishing the Tiste trilogy because of lovely sales.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hand Row posted:

Uh yes this whole conversation is about how Erikson will write the first Karsa trilogy book instead of finishing the Tiste trilogy because of lovely sales.

Yeah, dude, ffs why can't you just WITNESS?

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Hand Row posted:

I want Karsa over Tiste trilogy. can I have it now please?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I don't think Erikson needs to search too hard for reasons that FOL didn't sell well, "it sucked" is a perfectly good reason all on its own.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Karsa not doing much after Toll the Hounds was a letdown and I'm pumped for more Karsa. I hope he meets his dad and they hug.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

bucketybuck posted:

I don't think Erikson needs to search too hard for reasons that FOL didn't sell well, "it sucked" is a perfectly good reason all on its own.

żżż??? Mods?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Seeing Karsa morph into a fatter version of Kruppe (whom I now dub Karppe) obsessed with blood-oil instead of pastries would be fun.

Karppe attempting to be subtle in his homeland's confedracy of Teblor villages, but somehow always yelling out "WITNESS" whenever he tries to do something Eel-like would be epic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bucketybuck posted:

It's not though, people don't know that before they buy it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Karsa has more personality than all the boring elf-creatures put together so I'm looking forward to more of him. He was one of the only characters that felt lively in Erikson's books. Most of his characters seem weighed down by the momentous events in his intricate world. Whereas Karsa was like "gently caress this imma change things."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The most alive person in Fall of Light was the utterly confused elf kid out for vengeance that ended up wargaming out the darkness/light battle for Kharkanas throne.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The most alive person in Fall of Light was the utterly confused elf kid out for vengeance that ended up wargaming out the darkness/light battle for Kharkanas throne.

The worst ending to any of his books. A Convergence-less Convergence.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fully doing the kharkanas light/dark throne battle would have led to a quadrology(with everyone + possibly everything else on the battlefield
individually going super-saiyan) and even less of a ending for Fall of Light.
Poisoned by his creations elfish armorer & utterly confused elf kid wargaming out the battle was Erikson avoiding the DavidWeber-battle-damage_action.txt writing trap.

K'Rul maybe beta-testing Letheras City 0.3 and Hood doing a slow burn were interesting,
and I look forward to Kevin J Anderson & Brian Herbert eventually finishing out the Kharkanas story for Erikson.

For gods sake, that last part was equally part joke & part prophetic guess.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

FoL kinda suffered from slow-burning too many of the "big reveals," and not having Walk in Shadow to finish it up really sucks. T'iam and the Dragons (and the Tiste ascendant soletaken), and Hood's ascendancy are big mythic ties to the main series that didn't progress at all in FoL. Kurald Emurlahn being created and subsequently shattered is also huge in the Tiste mythology. The writing in the trilogy has been beautiful, but the plot is meandering at best.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm fairly certain there are individual pages that'd score a full house on that.

The epigraphs and poems I always feel bad about skipping - they're pretty good, but feel like they're scattered randomly, with barely any relation to whats going on.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't know why but "High functioning Hellian" killed me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This is amazing.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

YESSSSSSSSSSSS :getin:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I tried to recommend the Malazan series to someone on facebook and some nerds I don't know made fun of me for it. "It reads like a D&D campaign . . . but more of a slog!" I was very sad, it was quite a low point in my life. I thought everyone loved this series.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I read new posts on Malazan thread and then I read 3 goons hating on that phenomenal FoL ending. The Redeemer needs to take all your bad opinions.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I tried to recommend the Malazan series to someone on facebook and some nerds I don't know made fun of me for it. "It reads like a D&D campaign . . . but more of a slog!" I was very sad, it was quite a low point in my life. I thought everyone loved this series.

Eh, that viewpoint makes sense if they've only read GotM.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

snoremac posted:

Eh, that viewpoint makes sense if they've only read GotM.

Or are stupid. :colbert:

:lol: at "Suddenly, T'lan Imass."

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't know why but "High functioning Hellian" killed me.

:same:
That and Nefarias Bredd sighting.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
:laffo: "What even is Quick Ben" were my EXACT words at least once.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
drat it all I finished the book I was reading a day early. Now I don't really want to get into anything cause I just know I'm gonna tear into Deadhouse Landing tomorrow...

Guess I'll reread some Deadhouse Gates! :haw:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Oathbringer and Deadhouse Landing will both hit my Kindle tomorrow. Why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just realized I am like 3 books back. Forge of Darkness is the last one I read. Crap, what do I need to buy now?