Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

Act 1 is really lame and it takes incredible patience to master the combat and get to a point in the story where you're not constantly rolling your eyes at diaglogue or cliche fantasy plotting.

It does turn out to be good, but i couldn't blame anyone for not getting very far.

I tried to play it with a friend, with neither of us having any solo experience whatsoever. We we're doing ok, but then the whole sequence in the pocket dimension going on about threads of fate or whatever just totally broke us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CHOTSKI posted:

MC Kids for nes is a really good platformer that gets a lot of hate because its a mcdonalds game

The one for Genesis is really decent too.

lowwayman posted:

With this experience in mind I have zero interest in Divinity 2, which is unfortunate because in addition to further improved co-op seems like it has a Dungeon Master/Game Master system similar to what the original Neverwinter Nights used to have.

D:OS2 actually has two DM-style systems, one which is very on-the-fly and works a lot like it would if you were running the game on a tabletop ("poo poo, you ignored the quest and went to the tavern instead? Okay, load up the tavern setting, add a few NPCs, and WHOA LOOK IT'S ON FIRE, WHAT NOW, PLAYERS?") and one which is really in-depth and allows you to create full campaigns like the main game/(Neverwinter Nights).

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I do like the Shadow of mordor games as mindless fun but I do agree there's zero challenge at all. You can be half asleep and murder the entire orc army basically. There's just no challenge. But, it is still pretty fun to murder them for a few hours before it starts to get dull

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

one of my friends was really into Shadow of Mordor and played it a bunch but also sent me a bunch of videos of streamers playing it pretty much indefinitely while literally blindfolded so idk, probably fun but looks pretty dumb from the outside!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If you don't find any of the divinity games funny then you hate fun

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
divinity seems cool cuz of the multiplayer but then you remember there's all these quests, elves, etc, that you just don't care about it and you never play it again

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bholder posted:

If you don't find any of the divinity games funny then you hate fun

Hating fun is a prerequisite for enjoying any game made after the year 2000.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Fartbox posted:

I do like the Shadow of mordor games as mindless fun but I do agree there's zero challenge at all. You can be half asleep and murder the entire orc army basically. There's just no challenge. But, it is still pretty fun to murder them for a few hours before it starts to get dull

That's why I liked Dynasty Warriors back in the day. Sometimes you need a game just to be a low-effort punching bag to make you feel good about yourself, you know? :unsmith:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I haven't laughed at a video game in a long time. The last time was probably the South Park game where they made some dumbass joke.

Divinity Original Sin 2's dialogue is pretty good and occasionally amusing, and that basically puts it at the top tier of video game writing.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Laslow posted:

That's why I liked Dynasty Warriors back in the day. Sometimes you need a game just to be a low-effort punching bag to make you feel good about yourself, you know? :unsmith:

DIAO-CHAN!!!!!

*Lu Bu is angry*

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dynasty warriors games have way more going for them than mordor

its like, you fight a tough orc, and he's immune to being hit, so you stun him, and if he's immune to being stun, you vault stun him, and if you can't do that you shoot him in the head. But like, all of these things are equally easy to do and are all autopilot so it doesn't matter which of these moves I have to do.

also its ridiculous to be both super speed and super stealthy but also a super murderer in combat. Like what's the point of anything.

And people say the lootboxes don't matter but i guarantee i would have gotten a lot more legendary set items if they weren't there

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 25, 2017

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Video games were a mistake

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I love orcs. I love to talk to them, and I draw a series of webcomics regarding just orcs. I'm not a freaking wierdo like the goblin fanatics though, I keep it light and PG

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So far I've had way more fun with Elex than I had at any point of Fallout 4.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

steinrokkan posted:

So far I've had way more fun with Elex than I had at any point of Fallout 4.

How’s the combat in that game? It looks a little weird.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fartbox posted:

It's insanely easy because there's no 'rhythm' to it. You can just mash the attack button and counter guys at literally any point in the animation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Dennis System posted:

How’s the combat in that game? It looks a little weird.

Difficult, but it does work. It's basically all about trying to predict how many attacks you can chain before the enemy gets a chance to hit you back. Transitioning from attack to parry / dodge takes some time, but that is intentional, and you can also evade enemies with your jetpack.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=477718925
You can chain next attack at any point of your attack animation, but there is no easy way to cancel an ongoing attack, so going hog wild on the attack can easily rob you of an opportunity to roll out of an enemy blow, if you don't know what you are doing. So ultimately it is up to you to create your own sense of an appropriate rhythm (also there's a difficulty setting that adjusts how much of a time frame you have to execute a combo) And a single hit can completely decimate you on anything but the lowest difficulty.

Basically, if you try button mashing against a difficult enemy, he will just charge his special attack and kill you before you regain control of your character.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 25, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Difficult, but it does work. It's basically all about trying to predict how many attacks you can chain before the enemy gets a chance to hit you back. Transitioning from attack to parry / dodge takes some time, but that is intentional, and you can also evade enemies with your jetpack.
It's sentences like these that really make video games stand out from other media.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Cuphead is an absolute torturescape.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I tried to play Shadow of Mordor but gave up after like 15 minutes because it was boring

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Witcher 3 was boring at first but eventually started really liking it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The Necromancer in Grim Dawn is better than the Necromancer in Diablo 3.

Path of Exile's progression system that lets you end up with a useless character is a dumb system designed for idiots with no lives.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
The Witcher Games are garbage because of bad controls and horrible combat. Yes the quests are good compared to some games but that takes up about 2% of the game, the rest is trying to maneuver around with all the finesse of an oil tanker and flailing at enemies with bad AI. Even Skyrim's melee combat was better because it may have been dull but at least you felt somewhat in control of what your character was doing.

X-Com Apocalypse was the best X-Com game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Axeman Jim posted:

The Witcher Games are garbage because of bad controls and horrible combat. Yes the quests are good compared to some games but that takes up about 2% of the game, the rest is trying to maneuver around with all the finesse of an oil tanker and flailing at enemies with bad AI. Even Skyrim's melee combat was better because it may have been dull but at least you felt somewhat in control of what your character was doing.

shut up

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He's not wrong, those physics were hilarious

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Axeman Jim posted:

I wouldn't say the combat is horrible, I never really found it dragged the game down enough that I considered abandoning my playthrough because of it. But then i feel the same about Fallout New Vegas, whose combat is considered intolerable by most people who play it, so I guess I just have low standards in that area.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the best Metal Gear game and it deserves a sequel and Kojima should have nothing to do with it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I was a big XCOM and TFTD guy and I distinctly remember looking at an article on Apocalypse in some magazine and thinking it looked terrible.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Destiny 2 is boring. It's basically everything I find wrong with big budget games. The graphics looked great but the guns felt like Fisher Price toys and none of the backstory was explained. The fact it's just grinding so you can do more grinding really turned me off.

I got a refund after playing it for maybe 2 hours and believe I made the right decision.

This was after friends of mine cummed their pants at how great it was and told me I was going to LOVE it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

new phone who dis posted:

I was a big XCOM and TFTD guy and I distinctly remember looking at an article on Apocalypse in some magazine and thinking it looked terrible.

You can kill dudes by collapsing the building they're in on top of them. :colbert:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

new phone who dis posted:

The addition of realtime combat with weapons that have basically unlimited ammo let things get stupid fast, in the best way.

It also has the interesting distinction of letting you basically declare war on human factions, and a solid earlygame had you raiding gang-controlled slums for expensive psi-drug things to sell for money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A57BS_Xjg5c
:911: We Kicked Their rear end :911:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It looks a lot like Syndicate which I liked but I never liked Apocalypse.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

lowwayman posted:

I think Divinity: Original Sin is bad. There's way too much purple wall-of-text writing in that game, the story and quests are uninteresting and occassionally cliched and the jokes are almost always unfunny. In fact, I find the writing bad overall and remember disliking the dialogue you have with follower NPCs in particular. I've also never liked the cheery, colorful and unpractical art style reminiscent of WoW and the heavily abstracted, cooldown-based combat system, both of which Divinity does. The way you can mix elements and use the environment in combat is an okay gimmick I guess.

I really wanted to like this game because of the sweet co-op multiplayer system. I've tried to play through it several times with a friend, but I just cannot get into it and have to put in effort to keep going until I finally give up.

With this experience in mind I have zero interest in Divinity 2, which is unfortunate because in addition to further improved co-op seems like it has a Dungeon Master/Game Master system similar to what the original Neverwinter Nights used to have. We're sorely lacking for something like that in a modern RPG, but I just cannot get excited over it because of the game it's attached to.

With all the good press and word-of-mouth these games have been getting I feel like an outlier. I think somehow Divinity ended up being the perfect collection of things I don't like in RPGs.

I loving hated DOS 1, but I love DOS 2. The difficulty is better scaled, and I really dig the characters. Just into Act 2 and really enjoying it. The writing is SO MUCH better.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

limp_cheese posted:

Destiny 2 is boring. It's basically everything I find wrong with big budget games. The graphics looked great but the guns felt like Fisher Price toys and none of the backstory was explained. The fact it's just grinding so you can do more grinding really turned me off.

I got a refund after playing it for maybe 2 hours and believe I made the right decision.

This was after friends of mine cummed their pants at how great it was and told me I was going to LOVE it.

I got this garbage and I am slogging - repeat- slogging through this garbage story mode so I can play with my friends and do end game/pvp stuff. The dialogue is so bad. The story is so bad. The shooting feels okay but Killing Floor feels better. Hell. Killing Floor 2 feels better.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I don’t think it’s unpopular to say Bungie’s “story” chops are pure poo poo

But to say the guns feel bad? My nigga you don’t know anything about FPSs

Id actually like to know which games do it better because the gunplay in Destiny 2 is close to flawless

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Stark Fist posted:

I loving hated DOS 1, but I love DOS 2. The difficulty is better scaled, and I really dig the characters. Just into Act 2 and really enjoying it. The writing is SO MUCH better.

I loved DOS 1 generally. But there was a bit to much trial and error in terms of where you had to go. I.e. walk north and enemies were too high level, so reload and try west and so on.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

90% of video games these days have way too much lighting contrast. The brights are always too bright and the darks are way too dark.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Witcher 3's combat system was fine, to say that any Elder Scrolls game has better combat is fully-retarded.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Axeman Jim posted:

Yes, the game where my character blindly flails at enemies who do not react at all is more controllable than the game where you actually get each move properly signaled and get visual feedback on the effects of your actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
*executes a well timed strike followed by a dodge, being in control of the character the whole time* whats this garbage
*mashes the button, hoping the axe criss crossing all over the screen will hit one of the erratically moving enemies confusedly stumbling around* this is gameplay masterclass