Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
There is so much :psyduck: about that story.

:redflag: Putting your wedding on your credit card and having the balance present for ten years. Now I'm not against the idea of a nice or big wedding, but freaking save up for it. That's what my wife and I did; we set a budget then extrapolated how much each of us would have to save per month from engagement to planned date, rounding up to account for things costing more than anticipated. Developing the self-discipline to save for wedding expenses made saving for the down payment of a house much easier.

:redflag: Having your Husband blow 80 grand on dumb stuff and having no goddamn idea it was happening. I feel like there is no way I could spend that much money without my wife knowing, either through accumulating all this new stuff, all this time I'm mysteriously not at home with dubious explanations, or just changes in behavior. I've heard bipolar people can go on spending sprees when they are in a manic state sometimes.

:redflag: They make about what my wife and I make but they live in goddamn Missouri so that 180k is going to go much further than it would in the Bay Area.

One reasonable explanation for a zero down payment home is if it was purchased as a VA loan; my brother was so close to closing on a home that he would've gotten 0% down yet still at a low interest rate, no PMI and seller covering all the closing costs :eyepop: . Unfortunately because his job is seasonal the contract fell through at the last minute which was devastating for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you can't put 20% down on your house, you shouldn't buy your house.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What first-time home buyers in the Bay Area have ~$140,000 (plus emergency fund, plus closing costs) just sitting around in the bank to cover the 20% down? Easy to say when a house only costs 300,000, but when most houses are well over twice that it is a different story.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

So what you are saying is that when you are buying things that are twice as much money, it's absurd to have twice as much money to put down? You know that you don't have to keep your down payment in a savings account.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm saying the rate that properties in the area are increasing in cost will far exceed the rate in which people can save up for a 20% down payment. I really doubt a crash on the level of 2008 will happen again soon; both Apple and Facebook just did massive expansions to their campuses recently. At best prices will level off, but every year a home buyer holds off waiting for that coveted 20% down payment is another year further away they are from actually having a house they can reasonably pay off before retirement.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Housing in the Bay Area is insanity, so I'd say "Bay Area buyers are unlikely to have a 20% downpayment saved by the age most people are looking for homes" is a problem with the market, not the rule of thumb.

(Speaking of, is there a good thread anywhere about that? I find the area fascinating in both a "how insanely expensive can housing get?" sense and in a "what long-term effects does insanely expensive housing have on a city?" sense, but the latter isn't really material for this thread)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The whole 'it's different here' justification is totally garbage. If anything, in very hot / expensive markets you should be more risk averse and putting even more money down.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You are living in an area where it is prohibitive to save 20% for a down payment for a house. Do you:

(a) Buy a house for 1% or 5% down
(b) Give up on the idea of buying a house there, and continue to rent
(c) Move to an area where you could save 20% for a down payment, and buy a house there instead

inb4 HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST PEOPLE SHOULD SACRIFICE ONE THING THEY WANT IN ORDER TO GET ANOTHER THING THEY WANT :argh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Haifisch posted:

Housing in the Bay Area is insanity, so I'd say "Bay Area buyers are unlikely to have a 20% downpayment saved by the age most people are looking for homes" is a problem with the market, not the rule of thumb.

(Speaking of, is there a good thread anywhere about that? I find the area fascinating in both a "how insanely expensive can housing get?" sense and in a "what long-term effects does insanely expensive housing have on a city?" sense, but the latter isn't really material for this thread)

A lot of what it takes to be a homeowner here tends to involve taking a lot more risk than in other areas, presumably BWM stuff like having to deal with PMI or piggyback loans to offset it, but the problem is if you like living here rent isn't any better in terms of steadily going up. Pay is higher, but not relative to living expenses. But there are other hidden benefits.

My brother (the one that almost got a really sweet deal on a house) lives in a much cheaper part of California than I do. The flip side is that nobody willing to actually help out with child care lives near him, and what he pays for daycare for one of his kids he could be putting her up in a pretty nice 1BRM apartment out there :eyepop: . So while their own rent is cheaper, the fact that they live so far from the rest of their extended family kind of nullifies the benefits.

Conversely, my wife's family lives in the Bay Area but many of them are immigrants that came here within the last 10-20 years. Most of them work blue collar jobs, not tech jobs but because they chose to stick close together they were able to benefit from mutual support much like many other ethnic enclaves did in San Francisco, New York, etc. If one family member has a financial crisis, there are many other relatives nearby able to help absorb some of the cost in terms of either loans, time, or simply a place to crash until they get back on their feet.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Panfilo posted:

There is so much :psyduck: about that story.

:redflag: Putting your wedding on your credit card and having the balance present for ten years. Now I'm not against the idea of a nice or big wedding, but freaking save up for it. That's what my wife and I did; we set a budget then extrapolated how much each of us would have to save per month from engagement to planned date, rounding up to account for things costing more than anticipated. Developing the self-discipline to save for wedding expenses made saving for the down payment of a house much easier.

:redflag: Having your Husband blow 80 grand on dumb stuff and having no goddamn idea it was happening. I feel like there is no way I could spend that much money without my wife knowing, either through accumulating all this new stuff, all this time I'm mysteriously not at home with dubious explanations, or just changes in behavior. I've heard bipolar people can go on spending sprees when they are in a manic state sometimes.

:redflag: They make about what my wife and I make but they live in goddamn Missouri so that 180k is going to go much further than it would in the Bay Area.

One reasonable explanation for a zero down payment home is if it was purchased as a VA loan; my brother was so close to closing on a home that he would've gotten 0% down yet still at a low interest rate, no PMI and seller covering all the closing costs :eyepop: . Unfortunately because his job is seasonal the contract fell through at the last minute which was devastating for them.

Plenty of other threads for humble brags about your wedding, your salary, or your brother's almost amazing house deal than this one, the talk about how good you are with moneyBad with Money thread

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Enfys posted:

Plenty of other threads for humble brags about your wedding, your salary, or your brother's almost amazing house deal than this one, the talk about how good you are with moneyBad with Money thread

Honestly not trying to humblebrag. More about how we have some similarities to this couple but made choices that allowed us to do comparatively better.

I bring up our wedding because there is this trend that anybody that spend a "lot" of money on a wedding either had wealthy family pay for it or went into debt, so there's this stereotype that any big wedding is a BWM move. But ours was accomplished the same way any other reasonable approach to a big purchase is done: Set a budget, work out how much you have to set aside/month to meet that goal. .

Also not trying to brag about our collective income, because it really doesn't go nearly as far in the Bay Area as it does in Missouri.

With my brother, the reason I brought it up is because it is the only situation I can think of where having a nonexistant down payment on a house isn't BWM. For him it was the prospect of getting all the perks with none of the downsides but unfortunately it didn't work out for him. I had a High School friend with a similarly lucrative VA loan but he was genuinely BWM so in spite of getting a sweetheart deal on a house that far more responsible people wouldn't be in a position to be approved for he hosed it up anyway :bang:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Panfilo posted:

Honestly not trying to humblebrag. More about how we have some similarities to this couple but made choices that allowed us to do comparatively better.

I bring up our wedding because there is this trend that anybody that spend a "lot" of money on a wedding either had wealthy family pay for it or went into debt, so there's this stereotype that any big wedding is a BWM move. But ours was accomplished the same way any other reasonable approach to a big purchase is done: Set a budget, work out how much you have to set aside/month to meet that goal. .

Also not trying to brag about our collective income, because it really doesn't go nearly as far in the Bay Area as it does in Missouri.

With my brother, the reason I brought it up is because it is the only situation I can think of where having a nonexistant down payment on a house isn't BWM. For him it was the prospect of getting all the perks with none of the downsides but unfortunately it didn't work out for him. I had a High School friend with a similarly lucrative VA loan but he was genuinely BWM so in spite of getting a sweetheart deal on a house that far more responsible people wouldn't be in a position to be approved for he hosed it up anyway :bang:

shut up you stupid idiot, literally nobody cares. see OP:

quote:

Talking about yourself
BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

This might be a good start, there are a lot of first hand accounts of how hosed the bay area is

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The idea that they've been married 10 years, may now get a divorce, and she'll still be paying off the nuptials. :sad:

Buying a house with little money down isn't the worst thing in the world. There's a good reason why most people didn't predict how terrible the housing crash would be - those kinds of downturns are very rare. So the likelihood of you buying a home and seeing a housing crash that also results in widespread unemployment and a credit crunch all at the same time is remote. Even time bombs like Toronto or Vancouver aren't likely to see bigly unemployment when their homes lose 20% of their value overnight.

The problem is buying a home where you have no cushion for poo poo breaking. You're better off renting, even if it's more expensive, than getting a house with a lovely HVAC, leaky roof, or plumbing problems. Like my dumbass brother who bought a 90 year old house in an 'up and coming' area and six months later had to spend $11k on a new sewer connection. Now he and his wife are having issues and if they split up and sell they'll have to pay back $20k in credits the city gave them to buy in such an 'up and coming' new area with bars on the gas station windows and people walking in the middle the street at all hours.

At least they got married in a court house so that was kind of GWM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don’t know anything about mortgages since I’m just starting to save to be able to buy a house in five years and common sense tells me the more I can put down the better (and that’s the extent of my home buying knowledge at this point) but even I’m lolling at owing $295k on a $305k house. Maybe I can just save for six months and accomplish one of my life goals super early!!!

How much of a risk is a market collapse on that? Being upside down on your mortgage is like... super bad isn’t it?

Being upside down doesn't really matter if you're sure you want to stay there very long term, unless you lose your income. Then it matters a lot!

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

I still can't get past them grossing $15k but only taking home a little under $7k

:psyduck:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Later she says he got a 10k raise, but she thought it might put them in the next tax bracket. Which isn't how that works.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TLG James posted:

Later she says he got a 10k raise, but she thought it might put them in the next tax bracket. Which isn't how that works.

No, but an absurd number of people think that IS how it works. Despite the fact you can explain progressive taxation in about thirty seconds. Maybe a couple of minutes if you want to draw diagrams.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Panfilo posted:

Honestly not trying to humblebrag

Well, you did. MY WEDDING is well-tread ground here, and it's also out of bounds unless you're talking about how bad with money you were at it..

Co-signing for roommates, BWM: yes or no? Survey says...

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7bc17o/the_person_i_cosigned_a_loan_for_is_not/ posted:

About 6 months ago I regrettably co-signed on a $20,000 loan for a vehicle for a roommate, with a verbal agreement between the friend that he would be paying the due amount monthly without help from me. Time passed and personal issues with the roommate came up and he had to be kicked out of our house. Since the incident, he has refused to pay all but one month's payment and it's destroying my credit. I have facebook messaged him (FOR MONTHS), drove to his house, place of work, contacted his family/friends. All of which I either get no response from him, or friends and family giving me excuses on why he's not around. It's obviously BS in an attempt to keep him away from me. I would be willing to pay it off if he would give the car to me, but it's impossible to get ahold of him. I would also pay off the difference if it were to get repossessed (which is what I'm hoping for), but it's been 6 months with no repo???
Now, I know that it was stupid of me to cosign on this, and I've learned my lesson... But I'm at a loss. My credit is being destroyed, it's impossible to contact the person, and I'm really trying to avoid paying for a car I don't own in full! Should I file bankruptcy? Is his lack of response something I could take to court? Is there ANYTHING I can do?
I appreciate any help in advance.

quote:

Yes, it's a 50-50 split. The only issue I see with that is that he has little to no money.

BWM: It's a 50-50 split. The only issue I see with that is he has little to no money

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A friend told me a story the other day about what was almost his first house.
He was a new lawyer out of law school, married with one or two kids, and was buying their first house. Their schedules didn't overlap, so his wife was going through the signing process earlier in the day and he was going to pop in to the title office later in the day to sign the mountain of paperwork. He calls her as she literally has pen in hand about to sign the first page and tells her to stop, because he had just gotten fired.

That's some good timing.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fil5000 posted:

No, but an absurd number of people think that IS how it works. Despite the fact you can explain progressive taxation in about thirty seconds. Maybe a couple of minutes if you want to draw diagrams.
It all works out in the end, with the right people keeping their money. Evolution in practice.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

She seemed to just assume they were getting screwed on taxes, but if you're going to declare yourself to be in charge of finances due to your husband being previously bad with money, it's your responsibility to...take charge of finances. At the very least know how much money your husband should be bringing home.

It's so baffling that someone can say they are "in charge" of their family's finances and not notice their partner blowing $117k or have any idea what their taxes are or what their income is :psyduck:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

BWM: It's a 50-50 split. The only issue I see with that is he has little to no money

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

edit: whoops

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 7, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bwm: whoops, where'd that $117k go?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How the hell did they get through the home-buying process without that coming up? I mean I get that you can be an idiot and not check your own finances prior to getting knee-deep into it, but at some point in there don't you have to have a list of assets/debts with your bank for the mortgage? Did the broker just give them way less on approval and never mention it, and they didn't ask?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ashcans posted:

How the hell did they get through the home-buying process without that coming up? I mean I get that you can be an idiot and not check your own finances prior to getting knee-deep into it, but at some point in there don't you have to have a list of assets/debts with your bank for the mortgage? Did the broker just give them way less on approval and never mention it, and they didn't ask?

People lie/omit to get bigger/better mortgages all the time, and banks are often complicit because they stand to profit and have an outsized amount of experience in exercising the all-important plausible deniability.

Plus, while their situation is pretty dire, it's not insurmountable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

People lie/omit to get bigger/better mortgages all the time, and banks are often complicit because they stand to profit and have an outsized amount of experience in exercising the all-important plausible deniability.

I remember re-financing in 2004 and the agent getting really creative with assets. "Why yes, I do have a 401k."

It was a heady time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

canyoneer posted:

A friend told me a story the other day about what was almost his first house.
He was a new lawyer out of law school, married with one or two kids, and was buying their first house. Their schedules didn't overlap, so his wife was going through the signing process earlier in the day and he was going to pop in to the title office later in the day to sign the mountain of paperwork. He calls her as she literally has pen in hand about to sign the first page and tells her to stop, because he had just gotten fired.

That's some good timing.

I guess that all the paperwork would have been in both their names, so even if she had signed already, as long as he hadn't also signed nothing was final, no?

Not a Children posted:

Maybe the monetary situation on its own, but if you include the relationship aspects it seems rather terrible.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I feel so bad for this man's family.

What this reminds me of most is all those people who maxed out their credit cards prior to the rapture.

quote:

Didi Taihutto sold his house in the Netherlands, all his furniture, three cars, and a motorcycle. He only kept the things he truly couldn't part with: His photo albums, a few mementos, and his laptop. Together with his wife Romaine and their three children, he now lives in a tiny house on a Dutch campground not far from the German border.

The Taihuttos exchanged nearly all of their income for Bitcoins. The 39-year-old Taihutto is convinced that he'll be able to triple the family's assets through Bitcoin speculation within the next three years. But wealth isn't these two parents' only focus. Taihutto and his wife avoid, above all, things that keep them from leading their lives the way they want.

Like, apparently, reality.

quote:

Taihutto wants to secure the livelihoods of his family as a so-called day trader—in other words, a speculator who invests in cryptocurrency with the promise of high returns within a short time. 

Their website is yolofamilytravel.com. Their Instagram uses the phrase "Think about it" unironically. They currently have five people living in a 50 square meter "bungalow". He's not taking his kids to school in a country where homeschooling is not allowed and expects to have to pay fines for that but thinks that's unfair because "the Netherlands is doing too little for the growing class of digital nomads for whom these rules is simply too strict."

Just... :psyduck:

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Me [47 M] with my wife [45 F] 16 years married, her family asking us to go in on a joint investment. She wants to and I don't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7bbz4w/me_47_m_with_my_wife_45_f_16_years_married_her/

quote:

My Wife's brother is asking us to go in with other family members to buy her parents spare cottage on their property to give the parents some liquidity.

The bank loan will be in her and her siblings names (not the respective partners). As I am the main breadwinner I would have to service the joint loan for her.

I do not want to be told how to invest my money esp. when I have little spare after my own costs. We already have our own hefty mortgage and have 3 young children (15, 13, 11). I currently pay 85% of all our costs and she the remainder.

I am the only one out of ten siblings and respective partners who is baulking at this. They feel that there is money to be made by renting out the house on 'Air bnb'. My wife is furious with me that I never join in on her families joint ventures. There was once a race horse that they all purchased (except for me) - another story!

My Wife in her anger said to me that she needs to be involved in this as it is part of her inheritance. I pointed out that it didn't seem fair that I pay the loan and her name is on the investment. Come to think of it, our house is in her name and I pay the loan (security reasons), I pay for her car and it is in her name etc.

My wife really has no money sense and wants for nothing as I give her want she wants. But this seems to be a big ask. Family gatherings will be awkward if I am the only one not involved. My wife's brother, the instigator and eldest sibling (47 M), is seen as a bit of a 'hero' by her family so what he says goes! Kinda guy that orders the wine on behalf of others at a restaurant and you don't get a say!

Greatly appreciate some advice. I feel my choice is to say 'ok, Let's do this' or 'I am outer here, let's see how you handle things without me' - How do I handle this?

tl;dr: Wife's brother wants us to go in on an investment with her family. Investment will be in her name but as the bread winner I service the loan. She is in, I am not. Big problem.

1. I really want the horse story.

2. At least this guy is smart enough to realize that this is a bad idea.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There’s always divorce but given what he’s said that’s probably even worse with money than a race horse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah he's in deep enough that he's got a loaded financial gun to his retirement accounts. He may not have a choice but to go through with it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He should probably at least put his foot down about getting his name on stuff he’s contributing to. Not sure what the laws are re marriage where he lives though, it might not matter.

e: also, “my wife wants for nothing as I give her what she wants” is a really gross way to look at finances in what should ideally be a partnership.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Full joint finances, as always, the way to go.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jordan7hm posted:

e: also, “my wife wants for nothing as I give her what she wants” is a really gross way to look at finances in what should ideally be a partnership.
... something is seriously wrong with you. This is literally the way it has historically been (for at least some time), and still is the mainstream for many cultures, including mine. It is entirely fine if you do not practise or agree with this cultural norm, but for you to believe that it is "really gross" shows a lack of introspective.

I don't either, actually. But just thought it is a nice capture of the extremist thinking here in SA. Sort of like how I believe in blaming victims of crime, but coming from the other side of the spectrum while completely lacking any self-awareness.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 7, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Where's that little dinosaur that's always running around and causing consternation with gender and race issues?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Couples using the proportional income method, how is inheritance handled?

quote:

How is inheritance handled when a couple uses the yours, mine, and ours dileanation with a proportional income contribution to the "ours" account?
This model is driven by the values where each person should have autonomy and privacy, but no partner should feel stretched to adjust to the lifestyle of the other. Currently incomes are at a 1:2 ratio where 1 is still in the six figures.
Saving is highly valued with an emphasis on maxing out 401ks and Roth IRAs and the only likely debt may be a mortgage. The idea with the mortgage would be to track equity contributions (like you would a startup) so that, in the sad event of divorce, you can both walk away because you've maintained your own money and know the division of the biggest item, the house.
Both members of the couple have witnessed their parents get burned via divorce so the goal is to be as fair as possible in the relationship but not create an entitlement to external factors (wealth acquired before the relationship or inheritance during).
If kids were involved this would likely be moot since a trust would be created for them, bypassing a divorced spouse. Putting money aside for kids (their education, expenses, inheritance) would enable both members of the couple to more aggressively save for their own future and free up money for other things like travel, etc.
Thanks for helping flesh out the financial operating philosophy!

WTF is even happening here?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Motronic posted:

Couples using the proportional income method, how is inheritance handled?

WTF is even happening here?

Couples therapy in real time.

People pretending that they can be neater and tidier than average while having obvious emotional and mental baggage on board, manifesting as trust issues, treating divorce as an inevitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

n8r posted:

If you can't put 20% down on your house, you shouldn't buy your house.

Why put 20% down if you can get identical <3% interest rates for 10% down?