Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Elyv posted:

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

This is the first I've heard this guy and he's not terrible until battle start and then he screams his head off? Maybe he shouldn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

This is the first I've heard this guy and he's not terrible until battle start and then he screams his head off? Maybe he shouldn't do that.

he's memey and his analysis mostly sucks but he's 100% passion

https://twitter.com/RAPiDCasting/status/925347158617763841

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

He was really bad in the ZvZ series and his game knowledge generally is lacking. Credit where credit's due, he's improved a lot from the first time I saw him cast Brood War, where he thought a 3 base Protoss had a huge lead over a 2 base Terran, but his knowledge is still not quite there.

That series was disappointing, Bisu's decision making in PvT has never been his strong point and showed again at a few points this series. Expected result, though

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I feel kinda bad for hating Rapid, because he clearly has passion for the game and wants to do well, and he also has to cater to a pretty low denominator (ole DubDee here is most certainly no fan of the TeamLiquid """""""community""""""", and I can only image the SC reddits are worse)

But his knowledge just isn't there and his humor is just nails on the chalkboard for me. Maybe I'm just too old

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

e: Better question for BW thread sorry.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 1, 2017

DOA
Nov 17, 2016
I played alot of starcraft back in the day, turns out its still really fun to watch pro games with english commentary.. i have watched all the ASL seasons..is there any other youtube channels or stuff like that with pro games english commentary ?

Also rapid doesnt seem so bad, solo casting must be alot harder..artosis and tasteless also miss obvious stuff like what upgrades players have or did that shuttle or whatever die when its clearly shown it did? seems to me they are talking about alot of poo poo that doesnt have anything to do with the game they are commentating, but overall i like them they say some funny stuff :D

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I don't care that much about the actual game knowledge or technical quality of the commentary, I just dislike Rapid because he constantly tries really hard to be funny and fails at it every time. He's tolerable when he's not doing it on his own.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I'm not a fan of rapid usually but I thought he cast those games pretty well actually. He kept up with the action well and didn't spout a bunch of his pretentious poo poo, the two may be connected. Solo casting meant he had to pay close attention to what was happening on screen instead of getting lost in his own train of thought.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

DOA posted:

I played alot of starcraft back in the day, turns out its still really fun to watch pro games with english commentary.. i have watched all the ASL seasons..is there any other youtube channels or stuff like that with pro games english commentary ?

Also rapid doesnt seem so bad, solo casting must be alot harder..artosis and tasteless also miss obvious stuff like what upgrades players have or did that shuttle or whatever die when its clearly shown it did? seems to me they are talking about alot of poo poo that doesnt have anything to do with the game they are commentating, but overall i like them they say some funny stuff :D

I think ASL is the only pro games with English commentary right now but the SSL a while back had English if you want to check that out. VODs on this channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC9Bh8GeuDVfjMRet_KAwA0A

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Watching some blizzcon sc2 sure is a trip... I'm super looking forward to asl finals, even if it's just to see what kind of cheese flash defends into standard midgame 3-0. Also I just realised why baxter looked familiar, he was killer aka the most adorable little scbw pro. Also hero or baby was tiny, can't recall who. Maybe both? Anyway gonna be some good games.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just walked in in the middle but I think they said there's gonna be a jaedong vs bisu SCR showmatch tonight after SC2?

at blizzcon i mean

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

super fart shooter posted:

I just walked in in the middle but I think they said there's gonna be a jaedong vs bisu SCR showmatch tonight after SC2?

at blizzcon i mean

yeah sounds like they'll do it shortly after sc2 and the last bo5 for today is about to start

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Rapid's mouth moves faster than his brain. Then he'll realize he said something dumb, and try to salvage it, but he just winds up finding some way to make it twice as bad.

I respect his enthusiasm, but the dude needs to calm down.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Elyv posted:

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

I have to give the fellow credit for being able to talk non-stop and with absolutely no backup. He got a little too wound up in some of those big engagements, but so did Klazart back in the day, and so does Tasteless from time to time. When he's on his own there also aren't any of those awkward moments where the co-caster is made uncomfortable by his weird jokes/prompts. I found it less intolerable than I had feared it would be, and his childish enthusiasm is a bit disarming.

My main gripe is about the results. From what I saw, this is going to be yet another Flash steamroller show. If this were the old days, some young kid would emerge to wreck him, but for now even in his mid-20s he's clearly the king of the castle against this lot. Credit to Bisu, though, for improving his game from where it was even just a few months ago.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Jaedong vs Bisu showmatch from Blizzcon:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187483924

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

mariooncrack posted:

Jaedong vs Bisu showmatch from Blizzcon:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187483924

drat those games were horrible lol

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I think part of Rapid's problem is he tries to emulate Korean commentators who also regularly yell.

But yeah that Flash v Bisu match was a bit of a letdown, game 3 was funny though I guess.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6MdBOQHnDs

Larva vs Bisu live

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Flash vs hero this SUNDAY

Im betting at least 1 command center will be built in heros natural exp

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i really don't like them zooming out you get used to watching the game a certain way for two decades.

edit: lol what is this poker box commercial.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 12, 2017

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i really don't like them zooming out you get used to watching the game a certain way for two decades.

edit: lol what is this poker box commercial.

they always hold out on the best commercials for the finals

I also enjoyed the ad for what I think is a reality show where they play Lineage III online and yell enthusiastically when they level up

which somehow ends in wearing the "WetHat" as black oil drips down one's loser face

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB91lVZc3wU

Haven't watched it yet, very excited to watch.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB91lVZc3wU

Haven't watched it yet, very excited to watch.

Flash wins

Game 3 is pretty solid

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
lol i skipped to the exact point where flash just game-senses the hold position lurkers :swoon:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
ASL Finals:
Flash is just too darn good for this lot. He has held up so well. I have to admit though, I still get an exhibition match kind of feeling from these ASL tournaments. The whole scene definitely can't hold a candle to the way things used to be.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Flash won that pretty handily, and it seemed like he was even messing with some builds that aren't that common, like the Wraith play is pretty unconventional isn't it? He was just in a different league.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Game 3 was incredible. Also I hope Flash wasn't trolling when he said in the post-game interview that he'd try and win it again but playing as a different race.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Has anyone in the BW scene ever done well playing as Random?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

redneck nazgul posted:

Has anyone in the BW scene ever done well playing as Random?

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Testie
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Category:Random_Players

(the answer is no, not really)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grrrr... started out as a random player and I think still played random when he won an OSL super early in BW, but that was a very long time ago.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

There's probably no way someone can be that good at all 3 races to be among the best of the best. I do wonder if its possible for someone to be a good 'switch hitter' who maybe is just really really good at one match up as an off-race and does that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mike N Eich posted:

There's probably no way someone can be that good at all 3 races to be among the best of the best. I do wonder if its possible for someone to be a good 'switch hitter' who maybe is just really really good at one match up as an off-race and does that.

There have been mirror dodgers but none were successful in Korea during the golden age, probably the only metric anyone really cares about. (I'd say that golden age was maybe 2004/2005 until SC2 release or a little after, so late 2012. The last OSL really). Maybe the most successful player I'm aware of was Morrow doing it in the Teamliquid Starleagues, playing TvP TvZ ZvT. He did well but never won, and was widely viewed as using cheesy all-ins for a while.

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 13, 2017

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
The old prevailing wisdom that top players were one rank lower on off races. So if Flash is an S class Terran, he's an A class Zerg/Protoss, because even if he doesn't main those races he has to be pretty initially aware of those races's mechanics and timings.
However, I suspect that that maxim doesn't quite hold up in a non-pro team setting.

In the old days for the Proleague Allstar event they would do fun things like have three players of each race on a team, go into a game random, and then do 5 minute rotations for each player. Want to see things like that again.

I don't know if people saw it, but Bisu pulled out of his automatic seeding for ASL 5, which almost certainly means that he's going to the military. So that's Bisu and Jaedong both gone it seems. And I've had the feeling the Stork is wrapping up too as well :/

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Anyone catch WEGL last night? SoulKey 2-0'd Flash :aaaaa:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Anyone catch WEGL last night? SoulKey 2-0'd Flash :aaaaa:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/202192866
VOD for those who wanna watch.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

the brood war was good but I am extremely online for tastosis casting csgo/tekken and reading people get insanely mad at them for calling the toilets "bathroom" or whatever

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Bisu will enter the military from December 5th

Look out Kim Jong Un, the Revolutionist is coming for your short and fat rear end

In the old Proleague days the Korean Air Force made a Starcraft Team originally to utilize popularity of Boxer, so maybe they'll come back!!!!!..... probably not

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually thought the other semi was way more interesting. I think larva and his ling stream might have cracked the mech transition? Too early to tell though

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Zotac Cup vods worth checking out if only for the insane Larva BM https://www.twitch.tv/zotac_cup/videos/all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Calling that BM almost doesn't do it justice, hooooly poo poo.