Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Powered up SSG is actually a pretty ridiculous gun. Can make short work out of Barons and Hell Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Dyz posted:

One thing doom1 and 2 did better than 2016 is not gating off the level. So you could rip and tear through the entire level, then go back and look for secrets.

It felt especially jarring because they only start doing that halfway through the game. I got used to going back really far looking for secrets early on but then when you get to hell suddenly gates start closing behind you for no real reason.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I really wish this games mp was arena styled.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Double Barreled Shotgun, biggest dissapointment since Duke Nukem Forever.

You all got my hopes so high for that weapon, i was expecting it to be the screen clearing monster it was in Doom 2.

In TYOOL 2017 however, you need to get right up into the enemy faces for the TBS to do anything at all (and then it blows stuff up handily though)
Sure, it is kinda realistic, but realism is not really why we play Doom.

you had to be pretty close to enemies in Doom 2 for the DBS to work particularly well so idk what you're expecting, the gun absolutely destroys enemies, are you sure you're playing the right game?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

you had to be pretty close to enemies in Doom 2 for the DBS to work particularly well so idk what you're expecting, the gun absolutely destroys enemies, are you sure you're playing the right game?

Seriously, if it was any better it'd put the bfg out of a job.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, with full upgrades the SSG almost replaces the rocket launcher, for me. The railgun remains the weapon of choice for mancubi, but otherwise, the SSG can do pretty much anything other than angled shots against pinkies and shield-bearing security guys.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last I checked my stats i had over 2000 kills with the double barrel shotgun. #2 was the regular shotgun at just over 200.

The double barrel is my favourite melee weapon in any game ever

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ineptitude posted:

You all got my hopes so high for that weapon, i was expecting it to be the screen clearing monster it was in Doom 2.

In TYOOL 2017 however, you need to get right up into the enemy faces for the TBS to do anything at all (and then it blows stuff up handily though)

You're a god damned fool.

Upgrade that sucker and it rivals the BFG.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I just wanted to provoke some replies.

Also i genuinely remember the SSG to be, relatively speaking, better in Doom 2 (but that goes for most weapons)
I guess it is because you meet less enemies in DOOM but each enemy is more difficult to kill now, so it seems that the weapons are weaker. You clear a room in the same amount of time i suppose.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

I just wanted to provoke some replies.

Also i genuinely remember the SSG to be, relatively speaking, better in Doom 2 (but that goes for most weapons)
I guess it is because you meet less enemies in DOOM but each enemy is more difficult to kill now, so it seems that the weapons are weaker. You clear a room in the same amount of time i suppose.

Enemies have ai now so devs don’t have to spam them or build the map around them (monster closets) to make them dangerous.

But seriously when you get the double shot and empty both into an enemies face in half a second it’s incredibly satisfying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

When I play DO4M I use mouse wheel up for gauss and mouse wheel down for SSG so I can combo both (and skip SSG's reload) even after a long jump. They're that good together.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arcsquad12 posted:

I found this and thought I should share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ki4Xc3ixtc

:perfect:

How do these ideas even get into someone's brain?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

I guess it is because you meet less enemies in DOOM but each enemy is more difficult to kill now, so it seems that the weapons are weaker.

It's this. The fully upgraded SSG still owns hard though. Circlestrafe a baron and bring him down in 5-6 hits, even faster if you're swapping the gauss rifle between reloads

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I found this and thought I should share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ki4Xc3ixtc

Missed this till the quote and hoolllyyy :kingsley:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

teh_Broseph posted:

Missed this till the quote and hoolllyyy :kingsley:

that's a click I did not regret

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
BFG Division is at the Hellmarch tier of video game music tracks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm partial to hellwalker

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ties That Bind was my favorite track, really obvious e1m2 motif in it. It gave me goosebumps when I first heard it. Loved it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Authorization:Olivia Pierce is one of my all-time favorites. You never forget that song when you boot up doom

Ineptitude posted:

No joke, make an effort to finish the weapon challenges, because those are some extremely powerful upgrades. For example finishing the micro missile challenge makes it so that you can keep on firing them as long as you have the bullets, instead of shooting 8 missiles every few times.

The super shotgun one is kinda annoying to get unless you simply die, repeat from checkpoint to shoot 6 zombies at one time, but just having that extra shell in the super shotgun turns it into my main murder tool

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2017

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Yeah, but it only liquefies like two, maybe three imps in one shot if you line them up right.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, but it only liquefies like two, maybe three imps in one shot if you line them up right.

Imps in this Doom aren't dumb enough to stand in front of you and get massacred in one sweep, they'll be ninja-flipping and running everywhere like assholes. And then they get massacred anyway.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 7, 2017

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The gun challenges are why the Possessed continue to show up after the first level.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Every shooter deals in popcorn in some form or another.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Ok the game is getting pretty good. It took a while to get started but it really opened up in the last mission before going to Hell.
Its on me a bit too, FPSes i have played since the doom/quake generation taught us to be so conservative with "fancy gun" ammo, e.g. Half Life being really drat stingy with its rockets, so i keep sticking with basic weapons.
What you should do in Doom is just go balls to the walls with all the cool guns, then once you are low on ammo just chain saw a dude in half to get filled up again.

Also Arch Viles were my least favorite enemy in Doom 2 because they were so dangerous, and they have somehow made them even more dangerous, welp.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I have made it very clear to my closest friends that Hellwalker absolutely must be played at my funeral.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Using a chainsaw as an instrument might be the most inspired musical choice since Tchaikovsky considered cannon percussion.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
https://youtu.be/aC77S6lScPo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Digital foundry did one of their tech dives into the switch version of the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thread usually recommends remotely detonated rockets to take out shield guys but it's way more satisfying to plasma-stun them so they lower the shield and then give 'em both barrels of the SSG point blank.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It looks so bad, but I guess it has no way not to. Real shades of how Doom itself had to be cut down to fit the consoles that came out at its time I guess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did I dream that they were going to sell the little E1M1 playing Doomguys?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Casimir Radon posted:

Did I dream that they were going to sell the little E1M1 playing Doomguys?

The physical recreations of the in-game collectible dolls? No, you weren't imagining that--although last time I checked, I was unable to find the (previously) posted temporary store page for them and searching for them results in a lot of currently available stuff like the Pop dolls. They were definitely an upcoming "thing" though. I feel like they had a price of $50-60.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The physical recreations of the in-game collectible dolls? No, you weren't imagining that--although last time I checked, I was unable to find the (previously) posted temporary store page for them and searching for them results in a lot of currently available stuff like the Pop dolls. They were definitely an upcoming "thing" though. I feel like they had a price of $50-60.
Ok, good to know I'm not going crazy. Seems like something they'd want to have up and running before Christmas.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I finally got the Rich Get Richer rune and it's so nice. Almost like a classic Doom console command cheat. I cleared an entire room with all kinds of enemies using only the chaingun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shoot unlimited mini missiles with the HMG, feel like you are in Macross anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Not enough J-pop for that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Not enough J-pop for that.

Thank god.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guillermus posted:

Oh hell yeah, did that too, though the constant explosions can make it hard to see.

Also, the rune challenge for Rich Get Richer is maybe the easiest one of them all. I was at full armour when I came across a bunch of armour pickups, so I used the rocket launcher to give myself a bit of splash damage and then I refilled my armour to full again. Did that half a dozen times so I'm almost done the challenge already.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 14, 2017

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I keep coming back to this game since it's soo good and I finally unlocked the last 2 classic maps. (Saddened that the Phobos Anomaly map end didn't teleport you into a room with a bunch of demons assaulting you).

I really wish they ported the all of the Doom and Doom 2 classic maps. The WADs that simulate Doom 4 weapons doesn't count!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Decided to pick this game up in the steam sale and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do so earlier. Game owns.