Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It just occurred to me today that Butthole's corporate strategy is to focus on the Xbox version and pull resources from the PC version. The PC version is so riddled with bugs and hacks that it would take a full team years to clean up the bugs and take steps to reduce hackers. The game has sold enough PC copies that the future sales will not be able to match the rate of growth that they have seen for the last 9 months.

It only makes sense for the company to do the minimum for the PC version and focus on the console port. This may seem obvious to everyone else, but I missed the logic of it until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

daslog posted:

It just occurred to me today that Butthole's corporate strategy is to focus on the Xbox version and pull resources from the PC version. The PC version is so riddled with bugs and hacks that it would take a full team years to clean up the bugs and take steps to reduce hackers. The game has sold enough PC copies that the future sales will not be able to match the rate of growth that they have seen for the last 9 months.

It only makes sense for the company to do the minimum for the PC version and focus on the console port. This may seem obvious to everyone else, but I missed the logic of it until now.

yea, you're literally retarded if you think that's the best way to make money. they stand to make waaaay more by keeping people playing and selling loot boxes. the initial $30 is jack poo poo compared to loot box dollars.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We had an ARMA/DAYZ inspired Battle Royale clone that was relatively hack-free for about 6 months. That is above and beyond what anyone else managed in this genre, a noteworthy accomplishment in fact.

Hackers love this genre because of its immense griefing potential and the fact that a bad hacker situation can pretty much kill a multi million dollar game production; The BattleEye guys have been trying to come up with a solution for this exact problem for the bast ten years or so, with little success.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Clearly they should have used punkbuster.

Does punkbuster still exist?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does punkbuster still exist?

I think it's still used for Battlefield and Call of Duty games.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Zo posted:

yea, you're literally retarded if you think that's the best way to make money. they stand to make waaaay more by keeping people playing and selling loot boxes. the initial $30 is jack poo poo compared to loot box dollars.

The best way? No, I don't think that the path they are going is the best way either. However it is the path of least resistance. Bluehole is way over their heads vs the hackers. They know it's a fight that they cannot win because of the time and resources it would take to redo the game to prevent and detect all of the code hacks.

Instead, they are taking the money they made and betting it on consoles.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
It sucks that not even 1% of the player base needs to cheat before it's a huge problem where a cheater will be in a majority of games (if we assume running in to a cheater is equally likely across all game modes, regions, etc.). Looking at CS:GO as a reference I believe that it is very likely that far more than 1% will eventually be (probably already are) cheaters.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The revolver is really good.............................................if you know how to aim :smug:

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

Good soup! posted:

The revolver is really good.............................................if you know how to aim :smug:

I once shot a guy in his butt, with the revolver, until he died.

Thats my revolver story.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Speked posted:

Thats my revolver story.

The best revolver story.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Zo posted:

yea, you're literally retarded

this is completely necessary and appropriate

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
This game sometimes:

https://plays.tv/s/LV68peFa19y8

Somehow my loot goblining rear end killed 4 people and only 1 wanted to go upstairs.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Speked posted:

It's no Bohemian Rhapsody but I like it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

this is completely necessary and appropriate

it is

the main problem with the revolver is that there's not a dedicated spin button

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The game really needs a .357 Magnum ripped straight from Half-Life 2.

On the subject of hacking there’s supposedly a patch coming out later this week that going to improve the situation. What I don’t understand is that this game is based off the unreal engine and it’s not like there’s that much of a fundamental difference between this and other AAA titles.

Why does PubG have it so bad?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

The game really needs a .357 Magnum ripped straight from Half-Life 2.

On the subject of hacking there’s supposedly a patch coming out later this week that going to improve the situation. What I don’t understand is that this game is based off the unreal engine and it’s not like there’s that much of a fundamental difference between this and other AAA titles.

Supposedly to have the map the way it is and 100 peeps running around it with items everywhere they had to get creative (break/disable/mangle) with the engine a bit. A lot of stuff is turned off or bypassed to make it work. It's a major engine yeah, with a few miles of duct tape bending it into a shape it wasn't meant to be in.

Though the devs of the engine itself are working on getting it to fit that shape on its own since they run a rival BR game now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

The game shipped with no functional anti-cheat and Epic themselves most likely haven't created a working anti-cheat since UT2004. Early on in PUBG there were no sight checks (eg is this player visible, if not, bullet shot at them does nothing) or anything so you could actually just land anywhere, hack it so that you were punching every other player, and win within 5 seconds.

It's my understanding that BlueHole contracted out BattlEye, had a BE developer fly to them to help implement the system, and then completely ignored the guy.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The game shipped with no functional anti-cheat and Epic themselves most likely haven't created a working anti-cheat since UT2004. Early on in PUBG there were no sight checks (eg is this player visible, if not, bullet shot at them does nothing) or anything so you could actually just land anywhere, hack it so that you were punching every other player, and win within 5 seconds.

It's my understanding that BlueHole contracted out BattlEye, had a BE developer fly to them to help implement the system, and then completely ignored the guy.

Sounds like BH's MO

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The early punch “hack” wasn’t a hack at all. Players merely disconnected their Ethernet right before the plane left the island and went around punching the now idle husks of players. Then they plugged their Ethernet back in and the server tries to reconcile the differences, ie people getting punched out while in the plane. They’ve since changed the time before the game disconnects you without a response, but have also allowed you to reconnect.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There a dozens of Unreal Engine games that are AAA and don’t have rampant hacking.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm waiting for global text chat so I can spam "chinanummawun" while I hide in some attic like a serial killer.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

There a dozens of Unreal Engine games that are AAA and don’t have rampant hacking.

The scale is a bit different compared to many other games. In other games 1 hacker will affect 20-30 people at a time and the server will empty out as the players bail for another or they votekick the hacker after a round and continue playing. In PUBG it's 1 hacker spoiling it for up to 99 people who might not be aware someone is hacking for a while into the match unless they are staring at the killfeed and there is no way to kick.

The population for PUBG is also gigantic, BlueHole reportedly bought out all available power on AWS in all of North America during some peaks. Due to the griefing potential I'd believe that the hacker:normal player ratio is a bit off compared to other games as others have stated. So more hackers in an already massive player population being able to grief larger servers of players for longer, when you compare it to other games.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
There's also a component about the money involved from selling poo poo, of course. In games like e.g. Overwatch you can't really profit off of hacking.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

There's also a component about the money involved from selling poo poo, of course. In games like e.g. Overwatch you can't really profit off of hacking.

This is true. In some areas of Asia that 50 cents per crate is actually worth the time investment if you can hack your way to lots of crates, at least as a lovely "job" with no real work involved. If they manage to sell one rare crate drop that's a shitton of money locally.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I can sell my wanderer/survivor crates for 50 cents a piece what? I'm an idiot.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Add VAC bans to PUBG.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I can sell my wanderer/survivor crates for 50 cents a piece what? I'm an idiot.

60 cents for survivor, 50 cents for wanderer at the time of this post. I sold a red shirt for 7bux today. Those long coats go for 15-50 depending on color. Skirts sell for 200+.

This is why so many people from Asia hack. Imagine living in a place where a few dollars in USD has the purchasing power of ten or more dollars and you can use a sketchy hack to farm this stuff to sell on a global marketplace.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Add VAC bans to PUBG.

That would probably severely cut down the amount of hackers because right now if they get a game ban on their account they can still finish selling off their stuff while farming on a new account. Bringing Valve onboard to do VAC bans might be hard though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Space Skeleton posted:

BlueHole reportedly bought out all available power on AWS in all of North America during some peaks.

Got a source I can read more about that?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Space Skeleton posted:

Bringing Valve onboard to do VAC bans might be hard though.

How come?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

fletcher posted:

How come?

BlueHole would have to use VAC. It could happen but doesn't seem like they are interested in spending the development time on that right now. All their anticheat is being done by BattleEye who is supposedly banning thousands of players a day. Maybe the mystery upgrade to the anticheat coming later this week could be VAC though, that would be cool.

fletcher posted:

Got a source I can read more about that?

Was a tweet from BlueHole about it when it happened I think? They are not on AWS anymore.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Add VAC bans to PUBG.

They should be using hardware bans, to be honest.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Space Skeleton posted:

Was a tweet from BlueHole about it when it happened I think? They are not on AWS anymore.

Doesn't seem to be entirely true, sounds like they still have a significant amount of infrastructure on AWS still: http://www.businessinsider.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-amazon-web-services-microsoft-azure-2017-10

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If PUBG has VAC bans that stole the inventory of cheaters like CSGO does, there would be less monetary reasons to cheat. Think about that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

jesus christ I'm getting tired of shooting into indestructible parts of windows

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Any good LPs or chill people playing the game I can watch?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Or stone walls that happen to be 5 inches taller than the last visible part of the structure.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Affi posted:

This game isn't really super-chill. It's pretty good at getting your blood pumping. There's a bunch of streamers that are pretty good to watch. Shroud is a crowd favorite.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jscubby is a super chill dude w/big biceps.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Affi posted:

chocoTaco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

willroc7 posted:

chocoTaco

• Locked thread