Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

Everyone needs to adhere to the Code Of Conduct.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf

Man, that's a lot of rules to listen to that radio station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fox news shareholder dealio is november 15
nonetheless, I hope murdoch gets his company taken away from him and he dies of heartbreak and regret and alcoholism like ailes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

walrusman posted:

I'm normally as against being glued to your phone as the next person, but the NBA might be an exception. The league is lightyears ahead of the other American professional sports at integrating their product with mobile internet culture. For some of my savvier friends, the phones never go away at live games, because they're Instagramming photos, texting their friends, looking up stats, and getting tweeted at by players, journalists, and the league itself at a dizzying rate. It's half participatory performance, half augmented reality, and it's helping to explode the NBA's popularity.

edit: not saying the two old white broads in $500 seats are members of the NBA underground, just defending the idea of phones at games in general.

They could also just be looking at a photo or video she just took.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGrVYcZPyw

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

1:34 is a loving genius.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prayer pranks!

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Memento posted:

Edited because I couldn't figure out how not to inline a tweet on my phone.

Sia on twitter: someone is trying to sell naked pictures of me to my fans. Here they are for free, save your money. Merry Christmas!

:nws: https://twitter. com/Sia/status/927726442154098688

:nws:

Delete the spaces in the middle of you want to see it.

drat she thicc

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Looks like the schad is on the US.
https://qz.com/1122371/cop23-syria-is-signing-the-paris-climate-agreement-leaving-the-us-alone-against-the-rest-of-the-world/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Nuevo posted:

Exceedingly relevant content from the AI YouTube thread....

i was there for the crash that starts at 4:57

that's my story, hope you liked it

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/pKyUnT3.gifv

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What exactly did he think kicking it was going to do?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

GrandpaPants posted:

What exactly did he think kicking it was going to do?

move it away from the expensive truck it's shooting fire onto?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

This is so good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Truga posted:

This is so good

I'm sure he could try to meet women at Nazi Free Speech rallies.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Would he prefer she stayed and they just started to argue about a variety of topics that relate to their political beliefs? Wouldn't he rather find a MAGA-mamma to be his girlfriend? Would he want to keep seeing a woman that voted for "criminal Hillary"?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
People seem to still be having trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that "politics" isn't a fun debate game for most people, it is your WORLD VIEW. When someone asks me if I'm "really going to let politics ruin a friendship", the answer is "you bet your racist rear end I will".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

People seem to still be having trouble wrapping their heads around the fact that "politics" isn't a fun debate game for most people, it is your WORLD VIEW. When someone asks me if I'm "really going to let politics ruin a friendship", the answer is "you bet your racist rear end I will".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I'm willing to bet Bryan's date wasn't having nearly as good a time as he thought she was.

Also

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

*takes tinder date to $$$$ rooftop restaurant*
*refuses to spend $50 at a tailor*

Full disclosure - I went to highschool with this guy and he is desperately trying super hard to get involved in the Philly political scene. Also he grew up near Philly, lives in Philly, and is a very outspoken New England Patriots fan.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FogHelmut posted:

...he is desperately trying super hard to get involved in the Philly political scene. Also he grew up near Philly, lives in Philly, and is a very outspoken New England Patriots fan.

Unelectable.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

During the last election I watched two people that were best friends in high school get into a fierce argument when Friend A tried to equate her decision to vote republican out of a self-interest in not wanting to risk her life getting deployed (she's an Air Force pilot) to a new war (that Hillary was definitely going to start because reasons) as Friend B's decision to vote Democrat because she's gay and Republicans want to take away her right to get married. It was quite a spectacle watching a long time friendship burn to the ground because Friend A couldn't grasp the idea that gay marriage really isn't a self interest thing, it's a human rights thing.

Scruff McGruff has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Nov 7, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scruff McGruff posted:

During the last election I watched two people that were best friends in high school get into a fierce argument when Friend A tried to equate her decision to vote republican out of a self-interest in not wanting to risk her life getting deployed (she's an Air Force pilot) to a new war (that Hillary was definitely going to start) as Friend B's decision to vote Democrat because she's gay and Republicans want to take away her right to get married. It was quite a spectacle watching a long time friendship burn to the ground because Friend A couldn't grasp the idea that gay marriage really isn't a self interest thing, it's a human rights thing.

The schad is really on Friend A now in that well, she's probably going to get deployed because welp, guess who the real war hawk was.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Besesoth posted:

I'm willing to bet Bryan's date wasn't having nearly as good a time as he thought she was.

Yeah if she out and asked whom he voted for, I wager that she already knew the answer

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You can't not link the article. This is gold.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can't not link the article. This is gold.

paywalled

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/sex_love_dating/donald-trump-election-dating-sex-year-change-anniversary-20171107.html

quote:

The first date was going great. Until politics came up.

It was a summer evening at Nineteen, and for two hours, Bryan Leib and the woman he met on a dating app had been enjoying drinks and a bird’s-eye view of the Philadelphia skyline.

Then she asked for whom he had voted in the presidential election. Leib, treasurer of the Philadelphia Young Republicans, answered honestly: Donald Trump.

“She stopped in her tracks and said, ‘You know what, Bryan? This has been a lot of fun, but I think we’re two completely different people,’” Leib, 32, of Center City, recalled. “And she literally got up and left.”

Since Trump’s election a year ago Tuesday capped a divisive presidential campaign, changes have come to health care, environmental and immigration policy, tax plans, and our education system. But sex, too?

Dating in the time of Trump seems to have changed the way couples court, debate and tolerate. What once was a bullet point in a list of get-to-know-you questions may now be an asterisk. What’s more important to know: Do you have herpes, or did you vote for Hillary? And if you’re tolerant enough to enter a relationship with someone of another party, how many Muslim bans can one couple withstand?

Steve Ward, a Philly native and the 36-year-old CEO of the national matchmaking firm Master Matchmakers, said dating has become “much more polarizing” since the 2016 presidential election. He said these days, it’s more often that politics takes precedence over traditional dating criteria like physical chemistry, religion, and geography.

“There was always a rule that you shouldn’t talk about politics on a first date, but now it’s almost impossible for people not to express themselves and not know what the other person believes,” Ward said. “People on opposite sides at this point have lost the civility of being able to agree to disagree.”

There are some data to support this, according to Melissa Hobley, the chief marketing officer of OKCupid. She said the app prompts every user to respond to the question: “Do you enjoy discussing politics?” In the last year, OKCupid saw a more than 50 percent increase in those who marked the question as important to them.

“We’re finding that politics are becoming a bigger deal-breaker today,” Hobley said, “maybe the most they’ve been in many years, and certainly since the inception of dating apps.”

OKCupid allows singles to review each other’s answers to questions about everything from personality type to preferences in the bedroom. In February, after OKCupid noticed an uptick in interest related to politics, the company added 14 political questions, among them: “Do you believe we should ‘build a wall?’” and “Do you think the left wing is guilty of perpetrating ‘Fake News’?”

Hobley said that of the new questions, the one “that holds the most weight in terms of importance” for users asks simply: “Trump?” Of OKCupid’s estimated 2.5 million monthly users, more than a million answered the question, with 65 percent responding either “no” or “hell no.” (Trump won about 46 percent of the popular vote.)

Match.com‘s “Singles in America” survey released in February found that about 80 percent of its 5,500 respondents who discovered on a third date that a suitor had a political affiliation different from their own wouldn’t be bothered at all or only “a little.”

Leib, for instance, is open to dating Clinton voters. In fact, a bigger turnoff for him is someone who didn’t vote at all.

Posing the question on Twitter got results more in line with OKCupid: A person’s presidential vote could be a deal-breaker.

That’s how it is for Kate Flaherty of Northern Liberties, a registered independent who voted for Hillary Clinton and said Trump is “blatantly racist” and a “misogynist.” She indicates in her dating profile that something she “thinks about a lot” is “how the hell we’ll survive Trump,” a move to deter Trump’s staunchest supporters from pursuing her. But she wishes she didn’t have to.

“I don’t like that who somebody voted for is a sign of their morality rather than just their politics,” she said. “But I think you can’t deny that’s how it is now. And I can’t look past that.”

Annie White, a Philadelphia-based dating coach and founder of Sick of Single Dating Service, said she was floored this year when a client told her dating a Trump supporter would be “a nonstarter.” Since then, she said, she’s noticed an increasing number of clients indicating political affiliation is more important now than ever.

Still, White, 30, encourages the women she coaches to work to find common ground. Whom someone voted for is “a technicality.”

Ward, the matchmaker, said singles who use the 2016 election as a litmus test for values should identify specific “boiling points” — abortion, gay rights, climate change or immigration — rather than a specific candidate.

“The best approach for any sensitive subject is to approach with caution,” he said. “Learn rather than teach.”

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The key here is that people think they're taking the upper hand by asking to engage in a debate, and then immediately turn that debate into a belittling argument. So rather than fall into that trap, it's usually a better idea just to avoid it entirely.

Besesoth posted:

Note that the article doesn't say that she was enjoying herself, or his company. Just that she was enjoying drinks and the view.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SpacePig posted:

The key here is that people think they're taking the upper hand by asking to engage in a debate, and then immediately turn that debate into a belittling argument. So rather than fall into that trap, it's usually a better idea just to avoid it entirely.

You'll note that 99% of the time, the people who want to "engage in intelligent debate" about politics are the ones who are not affected by said politics. Please, white middle class man, let's debate health care for poor black women, I am sure it isn't a game to you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

quote:

Ward, the matchmaker, said singles who use the 2016 election as a litmus test for values should identify specific “boiling points” — abortion, gay rights, climate change or immigration — rather than a specific candidate.

:lol: so if you feel strongly about abortion gay rights, climate change and immigration, you're still supposed to give a Trumpist a chance? That's dumb as hell

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah sorry. politics is always something to bust up friendships over. anyone who says otherwise pretty much doesnt have much conviction in their beliefs, or is willing to tolerate some pretty hosed up poo poo from their "friends" hell and thats asides from a romantic partner.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: so if you feel strongly about abortion gay rights, climate change and immigration, you're still supposed to give a Trumpist a chance? That's dumb as hell

Someone could have supported your candidate of choice and still hold views you find reprehensible :eng101:

\/\/\/\/\/

You'll hear no arguments there from me, "I support Trump" is a great shorthand for "I'm a terrible person". I'm just saying making concrete positions clear weeds out lovely people on other sides of the aisle too. Sorry if that didn't come across.

Well Manicured Man has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Nov 7, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well Manicured Man posted:

Someone could have supported your candidate of choice and still hold views you find reprehensible :eng101:

That's true, but someone voting for trump is more likely to be vile and/or a loving moron

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Well Manicured Man posted:

True, but then again, anybody that genuinely supports Trump is pretty much the vilest sack of racist, nazi-sympathizing bullshit on the planet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i wouldnt necessarily say that, but it would be almost along the lines of a pre-first kiss "I love you" level :redflag:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's like that song Breakfast at Tiffany's. The guy is trying to find the one thing they can agree on so she'll just gently caress him already.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

That's true, but someone voting for trump is more likely to be vile and/or a loving moron

Or at the very least, they are totally a-ok with racism, bigotry, misogyny, warmongering, sexual assault, corruption, negligence, incompetence, and stupidity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Or at the very least, they are totally a-ok with racism, bigotry, misogyny, warmongering, sexual assault, corruption, negligence, incompetence, and stupidity.

Well, yeah

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm sure he could try to meet women at Nazi Free Speech rallies.

I believe there's steep competition for the whole group of one who shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

They're OK with all of that so long as he doesn't take their guns or whatever single issue they voted on.