Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

I guess there'll be lots of arguments over whether it's truly "dumb" to piss people off, but it's definitely gonna piss a lot of people off.

(I am assuming 6.66 is less than it usually costs, otherwise that would definitely be dumb)

In the UK? I can see this pissing off maybe half a dozen religious nutjobs and resulting in one letter to the Daily Mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Len posted:

Wait it isn't pronounced semens?

I might be :thejoke: but no, it's [ˈziːmɛns] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr0UmYogYJo. Spotify ad went for English pronunciation, which indeed made it semen

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think most Americans, anyway, are either unaware of or disregard the German pronunciation. I've never heard it as anything other than "semens," and I'm an old.

eta: I just found a Siemens commercial on YouTube, and if it's meant to start with a Z-sound, it's really unclear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kXYPrSksY&t=61s

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Oct 27, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

canis minor posted:

I might be :thejoke: but no, it's [ˈziːmɛns] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr0UmYogYJo. Spotify ad went for English pronunciation, which indeed made it semen

No you didn't miss :thejoke: I'm from the mid-west USA and I've never heard it anything but semens

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That company is ubiquitous in America to the point of being a house hold name and I’ve literally never heard anyone pronounce it any way other than semens

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm American and never heard of siemens

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mu Zeta posted:

Man, sex ed in this country is abysmal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mu Zeta posted:

who do you think crew all the ships, smart guy?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Put that sick filth behind a link before some impressionable youth is psychologically warped by giant siemen-covered balls :argh:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, however: you're dumb

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Speaking of Siemens:

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/florida-church-changes-sign-after-message-misinterpreted-as-sexual

quote:

EDGEWATER, Fla. - A church in Edgewater is changing its sign after a message about forgiveness was misinterpreted by many in the community as a sexual innuendo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I dunno if this is dumb, but it sure made me groan.

https://twitter.com/ElderScrolls/status/926898128585883653

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

As always, the comments are heartwarming & fun

Sean Bishop posted:

I am so tired of everything these days being run past some juvenile bathroom humor filter that panders to the lowest common denominator. Our society is regressing and will not survive all this immaturity. Time for the grown-ups to stop pandering to the big babies who can see some dirty meaning in everything. They should leave the sign as it is and tell anyone who doesn't like it to grow up and get their head out of the gutter. That is the reasonable solution rather than reaffirming their juvenile nonsense.

Richard Clark posted:

If your first thought reading this was something sexual you should look at your heart.

Keith Diggs posted:

What an ABYSMALLY STUPID SIGN from a false church that got it's doctrine not from the Apostles but from man. They do neither this, Acts 2:38 nor this , Acts 2:4 and therefore do not have this, John 3:1-8 and would not be recognized as "Christians" by any of the Apostles, which ONLY baptized in Jesus' name and ONLY considered someone to be Christian after they were "converted" (Luke 22:32) by the reception of the Holy Ghost like this, Acts 2:4.

Jim Dee posted:

Many are saying that it is the person who reads the sign that is making it dirty. Unfortunately, we live in very perverse age and sexuality is not something that is kept behind closed doors anymore. I was exposed to perversion at an early age by kids older than me, that's just the way it goes if you're raised in the public school system. We as Christians should understand the perverse ways of our society and not publicize anything that could be taken the wrong way. Not saying walk on eggshells, just that this was blatant. Somebody in the church should have known how it would have been interpreted.

Sean Bishop posted:

Reply to @Jim Dee: I see what you are saying but it seems these days that almost everything is being sexualized and made into something supposedly "dirty" by the permanently juvenile-minded, narcissistic, stuck-on-stupid (lack of) culture here is the USA. At this point perhaps we need to stop thinking about how the lowest bottom-feeding gutter-trash people are going to see things that we do or say. That is after all, their number one goal - to get us to second-guess everything we say (political correctness) because controlling speech is merely step one to controlling thought . Frankly, I have had enough and I am not worrying about how what I say can be interpreted or manipulated by these very types of people who see something to laugh and giggle about in everything, It must be because they are just so smart and on a higher level than the rest of us in their narcissistic lizard brains that everything they hear is worth a chuckle. To hell with them!

Tim Chastain posted:

Absurd story. Gutter minds.

Tim Chastain posted:

Absurd non story. Anyone who misinterpreted that sign is wacko.

Abu Nudnik posted:

They should not have changed the sign. It was the readers who are perverse. "Get your mind out of the gutter and up to God" should have been their response.

I'm not sure what other way there is to take it?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

I don't know about you, but I tend to have terrible food and drink in my mouth more often than cum

That being said, I giggled the moment I read the sign, too

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ziv Zulander posted:

I believe the idea is be so mad at someone that you'd want to spit in their face, but then swallowing your saliva instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno if this is dumb, but it sure made me groan.

https://twitter.com/ElderScrolls/status/926898128585883653

This just makes me imagine Skyrim: Blood Dragon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair to the Skyrim thing, it and Thor's main characters are both Nordic warriors who shoot magic (Thor uses his hammer but the comparison stands), Skyrim dude may be able to do lightning too I don't know. I can see the connection.

Also lol at "they got their texts from man, not the apostles" - what do they think the apostles were? The whole point was they were human men that Jesus happened to favour.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Ziv Zulander posted:

As always, the comments are heartwarming & fun

Gosh, nobody show these pearl clutchers ancient Roman graffiti.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Depressio111117 posted:

Gosh, nobody show these pearl clutchers ancient Roman graffiti.
Didn't the Victorians keep all of the "obscene" stuff from Pompeii in closed rooms for private views where giggling was prohibited?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

I don't know about you, but I tend to have terrible food and drink in my mouth more often than cum

that's sad for two reasons

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why are you eating so much bad food

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Why are you swallowing so little cum

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
thanks for explaining that guy's post people, keep it up

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
My question is genuine.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

WebDog posted:

Didn't the Victorians keep all of the "obscene" stuff from Pompeii in closed rooms for private views where giggling was prohibited?

In general Victorians suppressed anything remotely sexual in nature concerning the ancient cultures they were robbing studying. A fun comparison is reading an Egyptian or Greek story translated in that era and it compare to a modern one.

In Pompeii a specific mural was kept from public view for years because it depicts Priapus holding up his massive penis on one end of a scale he’s holding up.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cool, I just learned the etymology of "priapism."

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

that's sad for two reasons

Milk expires faster than I can find a man, don't judge me

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They keep showing a Cosentyx pharmaceutical commercial on a channel we monitor at work and it's really got some questionable choices. Like it's a little hipper than most drug ads with lots of quick takes, but there's a lady who doing yoga who has a nice body but skeletor head and it's like she's get's older and older the longer the camera is on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJNAqf9gn14

They show her from behind and she looks maybe 40 years old and then there's the face shot and it's like that Tales from the Crypt episode where the old man buys a young man's body parts one at a time. She's just waiting to replace the head last.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Holy poo poo it's a 1 minute ad and then 4 minutes of side effects and warnings

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Do you feel bad that you want to gently caress an old lady or what

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Do you feel bad that you want to gently caress an old lady or what

When you get older you find you want to gently caress older people. So a little maybe.

The body's alright. But holy poo poo the face. I think the unnaturally dark hair is what's making it all weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Holy poo poo it's a 1 minute ad and then 4 minutes of side effects and warnings

That's not unique when it comes to drug commercials.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Old people like to gently caress :science:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Waffleman_ posted:

Drug adverts just don't exist the in the UK at all, so it's always a hoot when i'm watching the NFL and I get to see people's :stare: reaction to hearing the side effects reeled off in an advert for the first time.

Worst one was an actual advert for a chemo drug, which was basically "DYING OF CANCER? CLING ONTO LIFE FOR A FEW MORE AGONISING DAYS WITH OUR NEW DRUG"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best part is when they tell you to see their print ad in some old person magazine because those usually take up both sides of the page, with the back being nothing but side effects and warnings.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MikeCrotch posted:

Worst one was an actual advert for a chemo drug, which was basically "DYING OF CANCER? CLING ONTO LIFE FOR A FEW MORE AGONISING DAYS WITH OUR NEW DRUG"

That's pretty much all of end of life care in the US, also it usually costs at least 5 figures for those couple of days.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Waffleman_ posted:

When i see drugs ads it's 30 seconds of vague nonsense about how this drug will help you be free and then in the last 10 seconds the guy rattles off the side effects in super rapid speech. Never seen an ad that just goes on and on for 4 additional minutes about the warnings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

That's pretty much all of end of life care in the US, also it usually costs at least 5 figures for those couple of days.

Those are depressing commercials. They're not even trying to cure you, just give you a few extra months to be surprised by your grandson home from backpacking in Europe while everyone is inexplicably having a picnic in a field with a big table and table cloth, which sounds like a terrible thing to hike to if you have terminal small cell lung cancer.

Drug ads are so weird if you try to deconstruct them. Like that Cosentyx ad has the Asian guy who apparently brought a friend of his and the guy's kid to an arcade to watch him play pinball. And it's not even a cool Elvira, KISS, or Terminator II pinball machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My favorites are the drugs for relatively benign conditions that also have horrific, life-altering side effects. Like Accutane, an oral acne medication:

quote:

* depressed mood, trouble concentrating, sleep problems, crying spells, aggression or agitation, changes in behavior, hallucinations, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
* sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
* blurred vision, sudden and severe headache or pain behind your eyes, sometimes with vomiting;
* hearing problems, hearing loss, or ringing in your ears;
* seizure (convulsions);
* severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
* loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
* severe diarrhea, rectal bleeding, black, bloody, or tarry stools;
* fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, purple spots under your skin, easy bruising or bleeding; or
* joint stiffness, bone pain or fracture.

I'll keep the loving pimples, thanks. :stonk: