Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Yeah, and the early blurred screenshot implied Ireland/British Isles, so Great Heathen Army is my bet. It’s a relatively well documented period in British history and there’s been a few popular TV-shows about that general era lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So have they fixed the chaos invasion issue in Warhammer's ME yet?

Because goddamn is that a boner killer. You've got this huge world map full of interesting stuff and then it just gets kneecapped by an end game crisis targeting you.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Anyone got a work around guaranteed to get Stainless steel to work for Medieval 2? Every time I try to fire it up it says I need the kingdoms.exe to make it run (Steam version doesn't' have that executable). I tried all the run-arounds suggested on the main website, but nothing works, even creating a fake exe.

I did they said there are versions that "just don't work", strange thing is years ago I played Stainless Steel on the steam version just fine, with no problems, until it crashed and burned and couldn't be played any more.

Any suggestions? I do have the disk versions, perhaps I should just use those?
I set up all my mods years ago, so I don't remember the details. However, I have both the Stainless Steel and Europa Barbarorum 2 mods installed for Medieval 2. Using the EB2 launcher and selecting Stainless Steel works for me. Give that a shot?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

peer posted:

Here's a new blog post about the historical stuff they're working on https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases

Oh sweet, another update to an old game (presumably Rome 2) at the same time?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I kept on wanting Charlemagne to be that Viking game but it wasn't, even if you played the Danes and raided. Really I just want a modern version of Viking Invasion.

So from that blog it sounds like:
- one self contained expansion plus patch for an "older game"

- TW saga, possibly Viking invasion

- new TW, possibly China (warring states/3 kingdoms)

If it's a warring states game I hope they call it spring and autumn, because "The Spring and Autumn period" is a great name that doesn't get enough love.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

Oh sweet, another update to an old game (presumably Rome 2) at the same time?

Its definitely Rome 2. Theres been a activity in the steam database with a new unlabeled entry appearing in its list of dlc a couple months back and going through constant version revion

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Archonex posted:

So have they fixed the chaos invasion issue in Warhammer's ME yet?

Because goddamn is that a boner killer. You've got this huge world map full of interesting stuff and then it just gets kneecapped by an end game crisis targeting you.

Not yet, they're apparently working on a hotfix for it.

Also Vikings are more affiliated with Ravens I thought? They did seem to show the Irish coast in an older post though. Viking Invasions of the British Isles would be pretty cool.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
A Rome 2 update that brought it more in line with TW:W UI setup and game mechanics would be incredible. I could never get into Attila the same way I did Rome 2, I really just prefer the age of the full empire more than the later Attila era. I was lucky though in that every complaint I had about Rome 2 was pretty much fixable by modding it myself.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/927551144293027841

:confuoot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still hoping for some engine tweaks to make the game run better.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

as long as the update doesnt break DeI...

hell, they should just pay the DeI team to keep making Rome 2 the best TW game

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is it an actual update to Rome 2 or separate DLC?

Separate DLC shouldn’t mess with Rome 2 mods.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's actually a teaser for a 30-Years-War game, and they're referring to the (Holy) Roman Empire (of the German nation) :haw:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

nopantsjack posted:

as long as the update doesnt break DeI...

hell, they should just pay the DeI team to keep making Rome 2 the best TW game

Minus the ridiculously spergy parts of the mod, sure.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Huh. What time period of Rome could apply there? I'm reading a lot of people think it's about the crisis of the third century

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe it's the Byzantine Empire? That lasted a thousand years longer than the Western Roman Empire. You can go all the way to the 15th century in that one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Chad Jihad posted:

Huh. What time period of Rome could apply there? I'm reading a lot of people think it's about the crisis of the third century

I feel if it's about the Roman Empire it would have to be something between the Augustus Campaign and Attila, Crisis of the Third Century fits there, specially the period of three Romes and the logo is indeed cracked into three. So it's a good guess.

A bit out there, could be Alexander 2, and being about the fall of the Persian Empire, but I hope not, since in terms of gameplay that'd essentially be a longer Wrath of Sparta.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm still saying vikings and (visi)goths. This is with a poor grasp of history, but I believe that's the same that CA has, right?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vikings is probably the saga game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm still saying vikings and (visi)goths. This is with a poor grasp of history, but I believe that's the same that CA has, right?

The Viking age started in the 800s.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Attila is basically the fall of the western empire (and eastern really in the game) and the huns/goths expanded to include the basic viking factions, so making that the new release seems really unlikely.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 7, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wait, they're teasing two things? I thought the saga was a standalone expansion for Rome II.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mantis42 posted:

The Viking age started in the 800s.

Plus the Vikings weren't that long after Charlemagne so it would be rather redundant.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait, they're teasing two things? I thought the saga was a standalone expansion for Rome II.

We are getting.

- An expansion for Rome 2. Along with the expansion is coming an "Emperor Edition sized free overhaul" to Rome 2 that'll presumably bring families and other new systems.

- A "Saga", that'll likely be Viking Age Ireland.

- A new full sized Historical Game that will be a "3". Aka it's Medieval 3.

CA ain't loving around.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

Was this a new thing mentioned recently? I don't remember hearing about it with the other stuff. I knew they were doing a full size historical game but I thought it was the one that was going to be in a new setting.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

They're going to pull the rug out from under us and announce that it will be Empire 3, with Napoleon being Empire 2.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Actually, the 3 refers to the 3 kingdoms of Shu, Wei and Wu :getin:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should make Dynasty Warriors game. Same meta game, but when you get into the battlefield view, it's army positioning then you just control the general and start murdering thousands of enemies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just take the German berserker unit from Rome 1 and make them Chinese.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Actually, the 3 refers to the 3 kingdoms of Shu, Wei and Wu :getin:

Special hero unit Guan Yu, able to annihilate entire armies, and equipped with a special divinity mechanic that gives him an ever more powerful morale debuff on his enemies and morale buff on his allies as he acts as a chivalrous defender of the people and also creates a sizable dent in the population of ancient China.

Special hero unit Lü Bu, when his morale breaks pursuing units are annihilated.

I don't know if I'd like a 3 kingdoms historical game more, or one which went all in on Romance of the Three Kingdoms where each named character is a mass murdering Warhammer level blender.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If there’s something that actually says it’ll be a 3 then I’ll be loving estatic because I would love to get M3 before China, but the latest thing I can find from a week ago is them saying they would be open to a 3 but that this isn’t one.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah the full game is a previously unexplored setting, according to CA. Not Medieval 3.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rookersh posted:

We are getting.

- An expansion for Rome 2. Along with the expansion is coming an "Emperor Edition sized free overhaul" to Rome 2 that'll presumably bring families and other new systems.

- A "Saga", that'll likely be Viking Age Ireland.

CA ain't loving around.

Did they say it's gonna be emperor edition sized? All it said in the blog post was something like "sizeable", which could mean all manner of things. I'm not holding my breath for something so enormous.

We've seen Ireland, but it'd be pretty astonishing if it's not the entirety of the British Isles. Maybe some Scandinavian outpost too, even.

They confirmed that they reconsidered the "not gonna work on a #3" thing, but have been working on this game for way longer than that plus they said it's a new setting, so it's not med 3. People are theorizing China but there are a few other settings it could potentially be, we don't know yet.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Considering how much people have been begging for Three Kingdoms it'll keep their lights on for decades if they make it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'd be interested if they touched late 19th/early 20th century warfare. World War 1 would maybe be a stretch, but given the implementation of large units in Warhammer, we could have Tanks/other military vehicles.

But yeah RotTK is my main hope.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

More about whatever they're teasing tomorrow at 3pm gmt on the official channel

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Deakul posted:

Minus the ridiculously spergy parts of the mod, sure.

all TW modders just seem to be obsessed with busywork and extremely slow battles where nobody can hurt anyone else

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Was this a new thing mentioned recently? I don't remember hearing about it with the other stuff. I knew they were doing a full size historical game but I thought it was the one that was going to be in a new setting.

didn't they say the opposite and that they wouldn't do a new version of an already made setting?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It gets confusing because even after reading like five different announcements, I still can't remember if Total War Saga is the big game or the small game

What the recent blog post from about 4 days ago said was that the next major historical game will be in a new setting. I can't imagine any major setting they've missed out on besides China. Maybe..... ancient Babylon???

They also said that years ago, they had a rule to never do a third game in a series. No Medieval 3 or Shogun 3 or Rome 3. That rule has recently been reconsidered so maybe we'll hear more news in two years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Warhammer 3 is already baked in so they broke the rule already.