Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Darth TNT posted:

I wasn't sure about that word, but it felt okaish. I also considered dissertation, but the two seemed equal to me.
And I couldn't think of another word that gave me the same feeling. :shrug:
I never really associated deconstruction with critical analysis for some reason. May be my non English speaking fail or the word has been contaminated by TVTropes.

The abstractness that the dr subterfuge is referring to is very easy for me to trip over.

So just to set me straight, was it an improper use of the word?

And yes, that was the link. Thank you for finding it.

When you disseminate information, for example, you are making it widely known, like broadcasting it. I wouldn't call a work of detailed analysis a dissemination. Deconstruction...wouldn't really be a good word to use here either, now that I think about it more. I was just thinking about it in terms that it basically involves picking something apart and looking at the pieces. But usually (always?) that's done to show that something doesn't really make sense.

Yeah, dissertation would probably be the best.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm 90% certain the word you're looking for is "analysis."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's called a "thinkpiece"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The word is 'expatiate' you silly loon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's a literary rap battle

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm 90% certain the word you're looking for is "analysis."

I agree. Too often people want to use a fancy word for something that doesn't need it (this doesn't mean the analysis isn't interesting).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was just goofing, the actual correct answer is "blog."

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Xarbala posted:

I was just goofing, the actual correct answer is "tumblr."

That's what I thought, too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Y'know, rereading the manga, I forgot how much Garo gets his rear end kicked while he hunts. He gets the poo poo beat out of him a bunch of times, and right now he got a big hole in his leg and hand thanks to Golden Ball and Spring Mustachio. I just find it amusing considering he's the biggest arc villain the series has ever had and how many heroes he manages to take down.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Y'know, rereading the manga, I forgot how much Garo gets his rear end kicked while he hunts. He gets the poo poo beat out of him a bunch of times, and right now he got a big hole in his leg and hand thanks to Golden Ball and Spring Mustachio. I just find it amusing considering he's the biggest arc villain the series has ever had and how many heroes he manages to take down.

I really like it. Shows that he's extremely dangerous, but he doesn't make it effortless

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

I really like it. Shows that he's extremely dangerous, but he doesn't make it effortless
Yeah, that's very true. And then there are fights where he loses horribly, like with Watchdog Man. Thank goodness for his unexplained ability to grow stronger and faster just by beating people up or by being beaten up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He just has fighting spirit much like my good friend and best pal Metal Bat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A Good Night's Sleep cures all wounds and restores your HP and MP.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Garo is basically a shonen main character, down to learning from his losses and hard work being the key to growing stronger.

Except, y’know, he prefers to think of himself as a monster, since they’re totally the underdogs. :v:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He just has fighting spirit much like my good friend and best pal Metal Bat.
Metal Bat is a real treat. His cocky-as-poo poo attitude, the small EarthBound references with him, and the classic "tough guy has a super soft spot for his sibling" thing. The S-Class Heroes in general are fantastic.

(Webcomic Spoilers) And Garo really is interesting, I'm really excited to see Murata's take on his monster forms.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2017

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

And Garo really is interesting, I'm really excited to see Murata's take on his monster forms.

his what

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

MiniFoo posted:

his what
What do you mean his what? Are we not supposed to talk about things that happened in the webcomic?

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

What do you mean his what? Are we not supposed to talk about things that happened in the webcomic?

This is the thread for the Murata version, so stuff from the webcomic is not allowed.
The ONE version thread is over here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559267

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CaptianKatsura posted:

This is the thread for the Murata version, so stuff from the webcomic is not allowed.
The ONE version thread is over here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559267
The latest post was in September saying ONE promised an update that month. That's sad, in an odd way.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Yeah no.
I assumed those spoilers were murata-comic-related.

Whelp.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If it makes you feel better that's a looong ways off so you probably won't even remember the spoiler by then.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

just say (webcomic spoilers) before the spoiler

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Garou to reject his humanity and eat Boros' corpse.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

(Webcomic Spoilers) And Garo really is interesting, I'm really excited to see Murata's take on lol sure spoil ending why not

You could always revive the ONE thread, ya know.

That said, there's no reason anyone here can't go read ONE's original webcomic, which is really good.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Can you guys spoil one thing for me? Does the long haired pretty boy martial artist man ever return?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Can you guys spoil one thing for me? Does the long haired pretty boy martial artist man ever return?

Muruta version original character.

Solid :shrug:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah no.
I assumed those spoilers were murata-comic-related.

Whelp.

If you've already read that, I'll just say that they've already taken his character in a bit of a different direction. Original style Garou didn't lose as much, for one thing. So while there are certainly signs it'll go in the same direction, and there's probably no way they'd change the thematic and emotional resonance of the ending, you can never really know with the redraw.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fancy.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/928331296123817985

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mulva posted:

If you've already read that, I'll just say that they've already taken his character in a bit of a different direction. Original style Garou didn't lose as much, for one thing. So while there are certainly signs it'll go in the same direction, and there's probably no way they'd change the thematic and emotional resonance of the ending, you can never really know with the redraw.

You're crazy if you don't think Murata will want to go absolutely ham on that whole sequence

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata's not going to miss a chance to do two things:

1. Go balls out on an action sequence
2. Draw BESTO GARL OH YEA!!!!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

El Burbo posted:

You're crazy if you don't think Murata will want to go absolutely ham on that whole sequence

The idea is to make people more likely to forget the spoiler, not less. It's going to be like 2 years before the manga gets to it, they might just if it's not hyped up to the levels it deserves to be.

e: I mean it doesn't deserve any hype at all, just read the manga it's all good don't think about things.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 8, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Now that's a cover.

https://twitter.com/tonarinoyj/status/928458391554547712

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I will indeed attempt to forget it.

:allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At what point do you think Garou surpassed Genos? Tank top Master? Golden Ball and Spring Moustache?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

At what point do you think Garou surpassed Genos? Tank top Master? Golden Ball and Spring Moustache?

Well, he certainly hasn't surpassed Genos yet.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
For one thing he hasn't lost a single arm yet.

He's got a lot of that to go through before he can even think of challenging Genos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

For one thing he hasn't lost a single arm yet.

He's got a lot of that to go through before he can even think of challenging Genos.

Genos turns getting thrashed into art.

Modern art.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Birth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, he certainly hasn't surpassed Genos yet.

He's poisoned atm and still largely matching him in combat despite that.