Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, maybe my opinion was just marred by people like supergreatfriend and Kamoc as they generally loathed the game. But at least for the first act, it did feel like the original Clock Tower...just with the shortcomings of that game as well and it's hard to go from the level of refinement in game play that was Haunting Ground to going back to just the original Clock Tower's game play and mindset. Who knows though; if there's one thing I've learned recently from playing Alone in the Dark 2008, it's that maybe sometimes people's critiques are not always that accurate (cause AiTD 2008 isn't really that bad).

That's one of the problems with streaming, if you are paying attention or playing to your live audience you are going to miss things in the game. It might be stuff like tutorials that make the game actually playable, the obvious solution to a puzzle or especially for horror you might miss the moments where it gets you to buy in and make it actually work. Not defending NightCry or making GBS threads on Kamoc/SGF but it's just a different experience than playing it by yourself. I know some streamers have gone back to games they trashed on stream and found them pretty decent when played off camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thnak you for the remothered chat. You guya are way more articulate than I could ever be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started Observer, it's cool I can just wander around the building and find weird stories going but drat the PS4 version runs like crap :(

Oh yeah I brute forced one keypad and it turned into PT inside and I just kept running through while some guy asked for help and ended up back out in the hall, did I miss something?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Started Observer, it's cool I can just wander around the building and find weird stories going but drat the PS4 version runs like crap :(

Oh yeah I brute forced one keypad and it turned into PT inside and I just kept running through while some guy asked for help and ended up back out in the hall, did I miss something?
Nope, that's all that's in that apartment. There isn't much to it, but it's a quick shorthand to show how Daniel's brain is melting. Also, if you ever want to open it without brute-forcing, I believe there's a broken PDA in a drawer on that floor that has some of the combination on it.

By the way, does anyone think "Hey baby, I'm home," could become the "get out of here, stalker" of the 2010s?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah it just ends after a major sequence that I assume would open up a new section to play around in.

Based on where it ends and what I saw in the videos, I assume (end-of-early-access spoilers)you'll be wandering around in the sewer, probably getting chased by something because duh, then probably find the elevator that you could see in the main mansion area that never got used and probably use the elevator to get back to there before going back through the hidden crawlspace you initially fell through the floor into the sewers from to begin with. This is all assumption, mind you,
for all I know they could decide to just add in 3 new mansions and a flashback sequence or whatever.

I've no idea what's going on with the plot of Remothered though. Like, there's...there's stuff that happens in the game and it is all tied together because they use the same words and stuff but I have zero clue what any of it means.

I see, not looking forward to a sewer section but gently caress it.

Also, for the plot I literally have no clue what's going on exactly but what I've pieced together is the main character, Dr. Reed is looking for Dr. Felton's daughter Celeste as she apparently just vanished or something. Felton says she came back, but when she did she wasn't "herself" and he began to call her Jennifer. Dr. Reed also isn't part of the institute that she claims to work for and I just found out that there's an APB out for her but I'm not sure why. Early in the game while exploring the mansion you're looking for Felton's wife and you come to find a corpse a la Psycho in a bed that has moths all over it. You hide in a closet and Felton comes out and calls the corpse "Jennifer." Later on the corpse disappears but isn't actually a corpse and I think it's alive, unless that's someone else. That's as far as I got. But yeah, it's all over the place and a giant mess.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I see, not looking forward to a sewer section but gently caress it.

Also, for the plot I literally have no clue what's going on exactly but what I've pieced together is the main character, Dr. Reed is looking for Dr. Felton's daughter Celeste as she apparently just vanished or something. Felton says she came back, but when she did she wasn't "herself" and he began to call her Jennifer. Dr. Reed also isn't part of the institute that she claims to work for and I just found out that there's an APB out for her but I'm not sure why. Early in the game while exploring the mansion you're looking for Felton's wife and you come to find a corpse a la Psycho in a bed that has moths all over it. You hide in a closet and Felton comes out and calls the corpse "Jennifer." Later on the corpse disappears but isn't actually a corpse and I think it's alive, unless that's someone else. That's as far as I got. But yeah, it's all over the place and a giant mess.

The part about the main character and the APB is because she assaulted a uhhh I think it was a phone line electrician or something like that, took his documents because she was looking for info in the documentation I assume to lead her to Felton's location, and then stole the electrician's van which is why she showed up in that weird-lookin utility van.

As far as the rest of the story goes, this is all I can tell. This covers the entirety of the early access game. So Reed knows that Felton would call Celeste "Jennifer" and also said that she had reason to believe that Felton's daughter wasn't missing forever and had, in fact, been found at some point. Felton was working with some other person named Ashmann (I think) and another person whose name I forget and they were working together on a special drug to treat a disease that some nuns had maybe as well as Felton himself having it, though picking it up in Egypt unlike the nuns. Then the drug turned out to have bad side effects, something about some kinda parasitosis I think. One of the 3 people (Felton, Ashmann, and third dude whose name I forget so I'll just call him X) was also doing...pesticide stuff I think? And the pesticides were a coverup for medical testing and there were moths that got affected by the drug or the pesticide or something???

So a place filled with nuns burned down, all of the nuns died, except one didn't die and she might've come back for revenge and also due to the parasitosis she might have some control over moths or something like that? And then there's "Jennifer" who is walking around and doesn't like her things being touched and I think
she was the corpse on the bed, but I'm not sure. Felton called the corpse Jennifer as well. Apparently when Celeste came home, she wasn't herself and was actually Jennifer, but then there was some tape recorder containing dialogue from I think Celeste talking about being hypnotized into believing she's Jennifer I think, and one of the articles was about one of the 3 guys thinking that Celeste's return was actually a divine blessing and the return of "J" in disguise (with J obviously being Jennifer), and on top of all of that there was something about the main character being affected by mirrors and that the mirrors are causing her to see things that aren't there and that she is hallucinating to some degree. Also, it is mentioned in one of the cutscenes that Celeste was never found but that it was assumed she had left of her own free will hence why the police never looked too deeply into the case, but I swear I saw an article in the game that talked about how she was
found because she was actually Ashmann's or X's daughter, with I think Jennifer being a missing daughter of Felton or...I dunno, and the article seemed pretty conclusive about Celeste actually having been found. Then there's stuff about Felton's dad being mentally abusive towards him and uhhh man I just have no clue where the story is going.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FirstAidKite posted:

The part about the main character and the APB is because she assaulted a uhhh I think it was a phone line electrician or something like that, took his documents because she was looking for info in the documentation I assume to lead her to Felton's location, and then stole the electrician's van which is why she showed up in that weird-lookin utility van.

As far as the rest of the story goes, this is all I can tell. This covers the entirety of the early access game. So Reed knows that Felton would call Celeste "Jennifer" and also said that she had reason to believe that Felton's daughter wasn't missing forever and had, in fact, been found at some point. Felton was working with some other person named Ashmann (I think) and another person whose name I forget and they were working together on a special drug to treat a disease that some nuns had maybe as well as Felton himself having it, though picking it up in Egypt unlike the nuns. Then the drug turned out to have bad side effects, something about some kinda parasitosis I think. One of the 3 people (Felton, Ashmann, and third dude whose name I forget so I'll just call him X) was also doing...pesticide stuff I think? And the pesticides were a coverup for medical testing and there were moths that got affected by the drug or the pesticide or something???

So a place filled with nuns burned down, all of the nuns died, except one didn't die and she might've come back for revenge and also due to the parasitosis she might have some control over moths or something like that? And then there's "Jennifer" who is walking around and doesn't like her things being touched and I think
she was the corpse on the bed, but I'm not sure. Felton called the corpse Jennifer as well. Apparently when Celeste came home, she wasn't herself and was actually Jennifer, but then there was some tape recorder containing dialogue from I think Celeste talking about being hypnotized into believing she's Jennifer I think, and one of the articles was about one of the 3 guys thinking that Celeste's return was actually a divine blessing and the return of "J" in disguise (with J obviously being Jennifer), and on top of all of that there was something about the main character being affected by mirrors and that the mirrors are causing her to see things that aren't there and that she is hallucinating to some degree. Also, it is mentioned in one of the cutscenes that Celeste was never found but that it was assumed she had left of her own free will hence why the police never looked too deeply into the case, but I swear I saw an article in the game that talked about how she was
found because she was actually Ashmann's or X's daughter, with I think Jennifer being a missing daughter of Felton or...I dunno, and the article seemed pretty conclusive about Celeste actually having been found. Then there's stuff about Felton's dad being mentally abusive towards him and uhhh man I just have no clue where the story is going.

this sounds completely insane

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Were there any adopter mothers who got attacked by crows?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Remothered: Tormented Fathers feels like a unity asset flip that's been polished for too long. Nothing has any personality, from sickle grandpa to gameplay mechanics to Spinal Nun it's all just really weirdly robotic. The story seems to have no passion for itself, no desire to be understood.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I cant believe the best clock tower game is haunting ground

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Tired Moritz posted:

I cant believe the best clock tower game is haunting ground
The best Clock Tower was the SNES one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh, it's very good too. I still think of the bath tub scene a lot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The best clock tower game is the one where you're given the choice between "examine samurai statue, spend the rest of the chapter being stalked by said samurai statue" and "don't examine samurai statue, don't get stalked by it at all" and then 2 chapters later you die in a cutscene where someone throws the samurai statue through the ceiling of an entirely separate building and it crushes you because you didn't examine it back in the first chapter.

The joke is that clock tower 2 is not a good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished Observer, was mostly cool but the endings both kinda sucked.
The merge ending would have been fine if abrupt if Dan didn't go from 'yeah okay let's do this' to 'don't let him get outside' within a second.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 7, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Horror games seem to have a thing for abandoned hospitals and/or asylums. Probably because there is a lot of free stock assets for that sort of stuff and it looks effortlessly spooky. But are there any games set in a functioning hospital?

Aside from that level in Ghost Master.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FreudianSlippers posted:

Horror games seem to have a thing for abandoned hospitals and/or asylums. Probably because there is a lot of free stock assets for that sort of stuff and it looks effortlessly spooky. But are there any games set in a functioning hospital?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best response.

Also set in a functioning hospital and also filled with horror (if you were as bad at it as me ._.):

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Weird Dreams, technically :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't think of any that are permanently set there from beginning to end. The Cat Lady has a hospital section, although it's anything but normal, and Edna & Harvey is mostly set in an asylum.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Metal Gear Solid V starts in an initially functioning hospital! Also Trauma Center

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You could do a lot with a hospital setting.

Like maybe it's a sort of pathologic situation where some sort of supernatural plague (or maybe vamprism) is spreading through the hospital and your a doctor or a nurse or a patient dealing with it as the hospital becomes less and less functional each day.

Or maybe your a sick kid that has to defend himself from a supernatural child eater at night.

Or maybe your some sort of shapeshifting monster that has to avoid detection by the humans and feed on the dead and dying.

Or maybe it is just really haunted.
Of course a hospital that isn't abandoned needs NPC's with actual AI and animations and even recorded dialogue and all of that is far too expensive for even the biggest indie title.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Dark Cut series isn't set in a hospital but it's about surgeries and medicinal treatments :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FirstAidKite posted:

Sounds like a mess and I'm not sure how anyone is going to get this from the poor story delivery the game has but I'll ride it out. It's fun enough so far but ultimately I'm probably going to forget about it in a week.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Relin posted:

this corn field bit with the copters overhead in observer sure does suck poo poo

I really liked the atmosphere and environment but I lost all desire to play after I got chased by a random monster in a random hallucination where i couldn't see poo poo.

Does that keep happening?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It happens like three times in the game and I got past one without even realising it could catch me until afterwards.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

For Halloween, Game Grumps played a bunch of really lovely horror games on Steam, and it was really fun watching streamers play these lovely horror games that were fresh to the experience, as it were, and not completely burnt out on it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Morpheus posted:

For Halloween, Game Grumps played a bunch of really lovely horror games on Steam, and it was really fun watching streamers play these lovely horror games that were fresh to the experience, as it were, and not completely burnt out on it.

Someone bought me reddit gold for beating Lost Base Escape in 24 seconds :dukedoge: I only ever use my reddit account to get content for the /r/relationships mock thread and to shitpost on /r/F13thegame and /r/gamegrumps, but it's still a victory and I'm taking it.

Seriously though their Tungulus episode had me in tears, it's an absolute treasure :allears:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
layers of fear so far: door opening sound got stuck, could hear it in all rooms, had to restart. went into basement and got locked in the ouija room, had to restart.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Relin posted:

layers of fear so far: door opening sound got stuck, could hear it in all rooms, had to restart. went into basement and got locked in the ouija room, had to restart.

Layers of Fear is poo poo and made me burst out laughing on numerous occasions.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

spudsbuckley posted:

Layers of Fear is poo poo and made me burst out laughing on numerous occasions.

Layers of Fear...is good!?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Played the first chapter of Dreadout last night with some friends. It's...uh...not great. Like, the enemies are interesting in that they've not appeared in a horror game before, and have actual myth behind each of them, but the actual game itself is a lot of running around samey corridors trying to figure out what the game wants you to do.

Also you have a silent protagonist, which was really jarring when we realized it, as there are numerous cutscenes with people talking to her, and she'll react, but not saying anything.

Also for a moment I thought that we had activated some sort of joke mode when, in one of the first cutscenes, the protagonist and her friend are just sort of playing patty-cake in the background when the friend just slaps her across the face, then the protagonist starts choking her. It was so bizarre.

Edit: Some good spooks though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The second part of Dread Out is far, far better and actually has some really good and effective spooks, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the spooky asylum trope, Get Even's framing device is an amazing variation on it: Certainly you spend the entire game going through a spooky asylum with the standard lunatics attacking you, following the ever-escalating tale of the Party of the Puppetman - but it's completely ancilliary to the story. The asylum is literally irrelevant - the main character is in a simulation designed to keep his heart rate and adrenal levels high so that the memory machine will function properly, so a spooky location fit the bill - the side characters within it are entirely the main characters imagination filling the gaps with half-remembered characters from movies or books he's seen because the brain will always try to populate an empty location with something as a coping mechanism. They are generic characters and dumb stereotypes because the main character is unimaginative. The only real relevance was the Puppetman himself, which was only the main characters unconscious guilt over what happened betraying him to the person monitoring him

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kokoro Wish posted:

The second part of Dread Out is far, far better and actually has some really good and effective spooks, though.
Second part like a DLC pack, or just grind through a number of levels in the game?

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
A new "found phone" game from the creators of "Sarah is Missing" just came out and it looks pretty good. A phone ends up on your doorstep and you need to figure out what happened to it's former owner and save her, if you can. It's available on mobile and PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/712730/SIMULACRA/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cyberdud posted:

A new "found phone" game from the creators of "Sarah is Missing" just came out and it looks pretty good. A phone ends up on your doorstep and you need to figure out what happened to it's former owner and save her, if you can. It's available on mobile and PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/712730/SIMULACRA/

This looks super interesting. I'm game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

And as usual, if you want a taste of the writing or any of that, John Wolfe's got a big ole playthrough up on youtube.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm watching a stream of remothered and i wanna ask whoever designed this game why they thought any of it was a good idea.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm watching a stream of remothered and i wanna ask whoever designed this game why they thought any of it was a good idea.

Which part of the any of it in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

naked sickle grandpa is a treasure