Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's marginally more tolerable than characters talking about how the events they made through would make for a great story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

My Irrationally Irritating TV Moment is shows addressing criticism against the show by having a character in the show literally present those criticisms at the plot. I don’t know how many shows have done this, but I noticed it in both Sherlock and Stranger Things. By all means, creators should improve from season to season based off criticism they receive. Having an actual in-universe character comment about it comes across as a little petty, which is weird for me because I’m usually for meta stuff. (And admittedly, Stranger Things was much more graceful in its approach than Sherlock, but it still rubbed me the wrong way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZwlMDSOvY&t=17s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was an entire episode of The West Wing which was like that ("The U.S. Poet Laureate") where Josh discovers he has a fan site and gets into a feud with the site admin. Except it's not really "creator addresses criticisms on the show" so much as "Aaron Sorkin having a go at 2002 eraTelevision Without Pity".

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was an entire episode of The West Wing which was like that ("The U.S. Poet Laureate") where Josh discovers he has a fan site and gets into a feud with the site admin. Except it's not really "creator addresses criticisms on the show" so much as "Aaron Sorkin having a go at 2002 eraTelevision Without Pity".

tbf Sorkin gets poo poo for this episode, but it comes off as him just saying "yeah I was an idiot, I shouldn't have touched the poop" and the whole ep is Donna calling Josh an idiot. But in general Sorkin's attitude to the internet is hilariously bitter throughout the series

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Supernatural was a fantastic example of that though. Not only was the television show existing "in-universe" tied in with the rest of the storyline and was really played with (TV writer has been getting prophetic visions and uses them to make a kickass show), but it gave us the wonderful sight of a character reacting to their own erotic incestual slash fiction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of those cases where when the fanbase has to actually be distinctive and contemptible enough to be worth mocking. It always comes off as jarring or tone-deaf when a show mocks generic embarassing/nerdy/obsessed fans rather than something relatable or recognisable.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

poptart_fairy posted:

Supernatural was a fantastic example of that though. Not only was the television show existing "in-universe" tied in with the rest of the storyline and was really played with (TV writer has been getting prophetic visions and uses them to make a kickass show), but it gave us the wonderful sight of a character reacting to their own erotic incestual slash fiction.

I was going to mention the same thing, it's the best example I can think of. Knowing how delusional the "wincest" crowd is I doubt they even realized they were being made fun of though.

In general though I can understand being a little annoyed by it. I definitely thought "that was kind of dumb" when they did it in stranger things, but usually it's pretty easy to ignore if the rest of the show/movie is good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I know this is the thread for hating on movies, but goddamn Top Secret was a loving masterpiece of comedy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

One of those cases where when the fanbase has to actually be distinctive and contemptible enough to be worth mocking. It always comes off as jarring or tone-deaf when a show mocks generic embarassing/nerdy/obsessed fans rather than something relatable or recognisable.
Yeah, the episode where Sherlock mocks all of the fan theories about how he survived just comes across as incredibly mean-spirited, because they're basically just enthusiastic fans instead of the incredibly weird fanbase that he actually has.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Vs The Forces of Evil has an entertainingly unique approach; the fan parody is an obsessed fangirl of Star who goes by her handle of StarFan13 at all times, and Star herself seems to not mind this in the slightest and counts StarFan13 as among her friends.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poptart_fairy posted:

And then the episode where some schoolkids are putting on a Supernatural musical and Dean ends up being OK with it because it's their interpretation and doesn't impact on his actual life in any way. It was a pretty neat way to say "we don't mind how you express your enjoyment of our show, we're just glad you like it."

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

dirksteadfast posted:

My Irrationally Irritating TV Moment is shows addressing criticism against the show by having a character in the show literally present those criticisms at the plot. I don’t know how many shows have done this, but I noticed it in both Sherlock and Stranger Things. By all means, creators should improve from season to season based off criticism they receive. Having an actual in-universe character comment about it comes across as a little petty, which is weird for me because I’m usually for meta stuff. (And admittedly, Stranger Things was much more graceful in its approach than Sherlock, but it still rubbed me the wrong way).
Galavant did a whole song at the start of season 2 about how the ratings for the show are bad and they didn't win an Emmy and the whole thing comes across as super whiny.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Always Sunny did it best

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Olive! posted:

Galavant did a whole song at the start of season 2 about how the ratings for the show are bad and they didn't win an Emmy and the whole thing comes across as super whiny.

Didn't season one also end with a song saying it was probably the end of the show because of ratings? I took season 2s opener as a "holy poo poo we made it back!" song more than whiney

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Leo Tolstoy devoted like a quarter of his book "the kingdom of God is within you" to responding to letters telling him that his theology that he thought was unique and original to him had actually be thought up dozens of times before, which was really cool. also the foreword to Dead Souls is gogol saying at length that if anyone disagrees with his portrayal of historical Russian minor nobility they should write him a letter explaining how he was wrong as if he was a stupid child, which was also really cool
then he died

jsoh has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Nov 6, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, the episode where Sherlock mocks all of the fan theories about how he survived just comes across as incredibly mean-spirited, because they're basically just enthusiastic fans instead of the incredibly weird fanbase that he actually has.

Also, it's kinda weird to do a Sherlock Holmes show then start mocking people who expect a resolution to a mystery.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Also, it's kinda weird to do a Sherlock Holmes show then start mocking people who expect a resolution to a mystery.

That show makes itself really hard to like. Moffat is really just garbage at show running.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

That show makes itself really hard to like. Moffat is really just garbage at show running.

The show is also just garbage in general.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Len posted:

Didn't season one also end with a song saying it was probably the end of the show because of ratings? I took season 2s opener as a "holy poo poo we made it back!" song more than whiney

Thats how I took it as well. I think there was some genuine surprise/enthusiasm that a really weird niche interest show like galavant was popular enough for two season.

(Galavant is great)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In any movie where people are shooting at each other in a hallway, they always seem to pop out and just shoot at nothing even though the other guy is back in cover. I get that it would be a chaotic situation and you might be too worked up from adrenaline to think clearly, but especially if you have limited ammo I would think you'd use more restraint and wait until you can actually see the guy before shooting.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I agree that was bullshit, but Sherlock Holmes stories are not "mystery" stories. They're super hero stories. Sherlock Holmes is basically Edwardian Batman and you're just supposed to be along for the ride admiring his brilliance not figuring it out yourself.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

I agree that was bullshit, but Sherlock Holmes stories are not "mystery" stories. They're super hero stories. Sherlock Holmes is basically Edwardian Batman and you're just supposed to be along for the ride admiring his brilliance not figuring it out yourself.

But they actually show Batman solving his cases. Even if it's just the bullet scene from TDK. I actually could tell what's supposed to be going on in it when I saw the movie but I won't defend it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In any movie where people are shooting at each other in a hallway, they always seem to pop out and just shoot at nothing even though the other guy is back in cover. I get that it would be a chaotic situation and you might be too worked up from adrenaline to think clearly, but especially if you have limited ammo I would think you'd use more restraint and wait until you can actually see the guy before shooting.

Shooting accurately in the best of circumstances is surprisingly difficult. When youre being shot at you're going to look like an rear end in a top hat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They also make plywood stop bullets and rarely is that type of shooting used as "covering fire" so the other guy, if there is one, can advance. Its not like guns and shooting scenes in movies have always been accurate :shrug:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah in real life the vast vast majority of bullets are fired vaguely in a general direction just to keep the other guy pinned down. Artillery and other explosives have done most of the actual killing in wars since WW2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Imagined posted:

Sherlock Holmes was the root of it, but I reckon it was actually Sexton Blake who was the Edwardian Batman. He had a cast of weird enemies (Zenith the Albino etc.), he tended to end up hanging upside down in rooms filling with water during his adventures, and he had a Batmobile (a Rolls Royce called the Grey Panther), a teenage assistant (called Tinker) who helped him solve cases and an intelligent bloodhound called Pedro.

There was another Edwardian/interwar Sherlock Holmes take-off called Max Carrados who was basically Daredevil. His gimmick was that he was blind Sherlock Holmes, but he'd trained his remaining senses so they were basically superhuman. He could read with his fingertips (initially just the headlines in newspapers, eventually fine print and even playing cards as well) and he knew a man was wearing a false moustache because he could smell the gum he was using to attach it to his face.

:eng101:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

Imagined posted:

Yeah in real life the vast vast majority of bullets are fired vaguely in a general direction just to keep the other guy pinned down. Artillery and other explosives have done most of the actual killing in wars since WW2.

There’s some probably apocryphal story about it taking 25,000 rounds per casualty in a war, not sure if that’s a specific war, or since the invention of firearms.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Torquemada posted:

There’s some probably apocryphal story about it taking 25,000 rounds per casualty in a war, not sure if that’s a specific war, or since the invention of firearms.

In the (excellent) book A Bright Shining Lie the author claims they were expending on the order of 50k rounds of 5.56 for every confirmed kill on a Viet Cong/NVA soldier.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
The most blatant Sherlock ripoff is Agent Pedergast, superhuman intelligence and an inhuman eye for detail make the mysteries just a slog to get through. I'm glad they keep failing turning them into a movie series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Imagined posted:

Yeah you can’t actually figure out a Sherlock Holmes story because they never give you all the information Sherlock has.

The TV show follows that too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall that American instructors in the Middle East and Africa often have a really hard time getting locals to adjust to tactics other than 'fire on full auto in the direction of the enemy'. Most people who pick up an automatic firearm without extensive formal training probably aren't going to fare much better.

Kind of the problem given that actually aiming requires sitting still and concentrating on your target, which is a great time for someone else to shoot you.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Memento posted:

In the (excellent) book A Bright Shining Lie the author claims they were expending on the order of 50k rounds of 5.56 for every confirmed kill on a Viet Cong/NVA soldier.

They'll never get S-Rank with that accuracy. :megaman:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Memento posted:

This is why the world's 5 richest men all run paintballing centres.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

synthetik posted:

The most blatant Sherlock ripoff is Agent Pedergast, superhuman intelligence and an inhuman eye for detail make the mysteries just a slog to get through. I'm glad they keep failing turning them into a movie series.

I've never heard of the series, but i gotta assume one if the big stumbling blocks to making a movie is that the name is literally one letter away from being "agent pederast". Not sure sherlocks popularity would have been as enduring if his surname was "childmolegster"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I actually like Relic but I recently read the sequel and then the synopses of the other books starring Penderghast and holy poo poo did they go off in a weird direction.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I actually like Relic but I recently read the sequel and then the synopses of the other books starring Penderghast and holy poo poo did they go off in a weird direction.

They cut him totally out of the TV movie.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Stranger Things 2: I loved it, but I have 2 IITVM.
1) for a show so keen on systematically reversing horror tropes, the scientist still are "Jurassic Park" levels of unprepared when it comes to security. "Sure we have this giant portal to another world, and we know fire utterly destroys anything that comes out of it. We won't install a killswitch button to fill the room with fire in case something goes wrong, a few dudes with rifles and a single flamethrower are enough"

and
2) The Demodogs' strenght/mass/whatever changes constantly, depending on the story needs. They may be impervious to rifle rounds in a scene an die normally in another. They may take a while to burst through a polycarbonate window or wooden door, but be able to hulk smash through 5" wide metal door sending it flying down a corridor.

Also gently caress you for killing Bob :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bob's a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Powaqoatse posted:

bob's a piece of poo poo

He was not an undercover spook and that's enough for me. You're just jealous of his l33t BASIC skills.