Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

YES TO BOTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Carlosologist posted:

whoa, Terry McAuliffe restored voting rights by hand?? what a boss

I voted this morning and it was really quiet. the only person who was super excited to be there was my mom, who voted for the first time since she became a citizen this year :3:

my county went overwhelmingly for HRC, and I expect this same kind of energy today

Immigrants coming here and becoming citizens :argh:

In 2013 the turnout in fairfax was 46.8% so that should be your benchmark for what represents a strong turnout.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Voted in Arlington a few minutes ago. My polling place wasn't packed but there were about 12 people voting which is the norm for the lunchtime crowd. CNN was there filming b roll footage and decided to focus on me while I was casting my ballot...didn't expect that but hey, democracy!

EDIT: Just had a Northam volunteer knock at my door and ask if we remembered to vote. Said yes, and then asked if we voted for Northam. YBF, you guys are not loving around with GOTV this year, good on you guys.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 7, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
It is pouring in Northern Virginia right now.

Hope it doesn't impact things too much!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

I feel drinking with T-Mac would be a really fun time given the infamous "Hillary rum" interview.

He shows up to give speeches at beer festivals (and just regular festivals) all the time, and he's usually two sheets to the wind and clearly having a great time. Can confirm.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Just finished my first three hour poll greeting shift. Voting numbers are up big in my precinct in Arlington. Pretty much everyone who came in wanted the Democratic sample ballot, and even those that didn't told me they were voting Dem.

Taking a lunch break and headed back out an in hour to greet more voters!

Edit:

axeil posted:

Can confirm! Definitely going to need a new set of clothes when I head back out--this time I'm taking my loving gloves, too. :D

People were still coming to the polls despite the rain when I left, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Godspeed, VA goons

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

This twitter account is posting turnout numbers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VotingGuy

It is unverified and I'm not vouching for its veracity but at least some of the items are retweets of official accounts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just can't imagine the thought process of someone who was going to vote but decided not to because of rain. It's just so asinine.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

axeil posted:

Oh nice. I voted at the VA Square site at George Mason University Law School (aka A.S.S. Law)

Are you going to the watch party tonight? I can't decide if I want to be alone and watch the results or be around people.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just can't imagine the thought process of someone who was going to vote but decided not to because of rain. It's just so asinine.

Research has shown every 1 inch of rain reduces turnout by about 1%. The uncertainty is if that hits voters of both parties equally or if there is an enthusiasm effect. It's been argued Al Gore lost Florida in 2000 because of particularly heavy rain around the Florida panhandle on election day.

B B posted:

Are you going to the watch party tonight? I can't decide if I want to be alone and watch the results or be around people.

Nah I'm gonna be alone. If we lose I'm gonna have a meltdown and it'll be ugly.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also good news is that VCU (large public university in richmond) finally has a polling place on campus, so that should help the richmond democratic total

B B
Dec 1, 2005

axeil posted:

Nah I'm gonna be alone. If we lose I'm gonna have a meltdown and it'll be ugly.

I'll probably do the same, unless our precinct captain makes me go. :)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

axeil posted:

Research has shown every 1 inch of rain reduces turnout by about 1%.
I'm with the poster you were responding to - I don't doubt the research at all, but those people are even more foreign to me than the people who never vote at all. How are you going to vote, but then the weather stops you? Like, what form does that utility calculation take?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Oh I should have mentioned I’m in New Jersey! Our race is a lot more of a lock but I can’t help but be nervous after last year.

Godspeed to you, VA goons

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm with the poster you were responding to - I don't doubt the research at all, but those people are even more foreign to me than the people who never vote at all. How are you going to vote, but then the weather stops you? Like, what form does that utility calculation take?

I've also seen research to show that turnout is reduced by rain less or not at all in close elections, which would tend to suggest that rain keeps home the people who don't think they really need to vote, and that maybe it's more of a luxury or a nice thing to do. In close races it doesn't have as much effect.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"Both sides are the same and I don't want to get wet" - these idiots, probably

https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/927964930418135040

:ohdear:

I dunno if that's good or bad.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 7, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 1% of the voting population have enough real world obligations (dinner, children, dry cleaning, whatever) that things like traffic being worse due to rain is the difference between being able to fulfill all of their real world obligations and also get to the polls before they close.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

axeil posted:

"Both sides are the same and I don't want to get wet" - these idiots, probably

https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/927964930418135040

:ohdear:

I dunno if that's good or bad.

It’s incredibly high for an off yeah election which is usually closer to 130k.

The distribution of absentee voting also skewed heavily to NOVA all of which should be favorable toward the Dems.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/VoteFairfaxCity/status/927963855879360513

Begin Arzy-ing :ohdear:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

35% of what?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Fairfax City’s benchmark from 2013 should be 50.4% for the full day.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

All registered voters.

https://twitter.com/CvilleVotes/status/927967376536211457

Charlottesville at 31% as of 1 PM.

Of course this info isn't that useful unless you know what the turnout was in 2013, 2014 and 2016 which I don't know where to get.

edit: I am good at the Google and found the answer:

Might want to sticky the historical turnout.

edit 2:

https://twitter.com/VotingGuy/status/927969547784720384

Trump won this county by 25 points. Seems like turnout is depressed in GOP areas.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 7, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

farraday posted:

Fairfax City’s benchmark from 2013 should be 50.4% for the full day.

Well we're well over half way there at 1pm so things seem good. It's just a tweet to scare some people into making sure they vote after work.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I voted over my lunch break. I overheard a conversation that they had about 15% turnout already, which was on par with the Presidential election last year and way up from most local elections. I fully expect a big rush after 5 pm when most people get out of work.

Seemed like it was mostly older folks in there, but a few GOSH DARN MILLENIALS like me on their lunch break were voting too.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

The state turnout% isn’t granular enough, luckily jmu has the turnouts from past years on a county/city level.

http://apps4va.cs.jmu.edu/2017/code/recent_years.jsp?locality=Charlottesville+City

Charlottesville looks like they’re going to approach Presidential years.

classic girl
Aug 25, 2004

axeil posted:

I voted in Western Fairfax around the time this was posted. It was drizzling here but nothing too serious. I observed a good number of people at the polls and it looked like a diverse crowd in terms of race and SES. My husband is off work today and just went. He said it's raining a lot but there were quite a few people there anyway. Fairfax Co schools are closed today and if my friends and neighbors are any indication, a lot of people headed to the polls after parent-teacher conferences.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

The state turnout% isn’t granular enough, luckily jmu has the turnouts from past years on a county/city level.

http://apps4va.cs.jmu.edu/2017/code/recent_years.jsp?locality=Charlottesville+City

Charlottesville looks like they’re going to approach Presidential years.

This is gold. Thanks!

Here's some info based on that.

Counties for the Dems

Arlington County - 31% as of Noon, was 49% in 2013
Alexandria City - 36% as of Noon, was 46% in 2013 (In 2013, 28% had voted by noon)
Charlottesville City - 31% as of 1 PM, was 40% in 2013
Fairfax City - 35% as of Noon, was 50% in 2013
Fairfax County - 16% as of 10 AM, was 50% in 2013
Richmond City - 17% as of 10 AM, was 38% in 2013
Prince William County - 18% as of 12:50 PM, was 41% in 2013
Falls Church City - 42% :stare: as of Noon, was 66% in 2013

Counties for the GOP

Nelson County - 33% as of Noon, was 48% in 2013
Fauquier County - 25% as of 1:30 PM, was 46% in 2013

These all seem pretty good. Based on what @VotingGuy is tweeting.

edit: note that the 2013 numbers are for the whole day, not as of Noon.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 7, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I misread your post and thought the second percentages for each county was turnout as of noon not the entire day. Hopefully this holds.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

axeil posted:

400,000 felons had their voting rights restored.

T-Mac did them all individually, by hand for months.

He's a goddamn hero. :patriot:
That's incredible. I'll never not be amazed he turned into a legit good governor for VA after where he started.

Haha holy poo poo, first good thing he's said in a while.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I misread your post and thought the second percentages for each county was turnout as of noon not the entire day. Hopefully this holds.

How hard did your heart drop until you realized the mistake?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I doubt the 2016 numbers are going to be hit, but it seems like 2013 will be beat.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

All in all very strong turn out so far. Will depend on how the post work rush comes in(in crucial Waukesha county)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How hard did your heart drop until you realized the mistake?

My stomach wanted to lurch up the pad thai I just ate, thankfully I quickly realized that I misread it.

I think I'm gonna go on a media blackout at 7 and just binge Overwatch//Wolfenstein and then check returns around 11 or so.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://www.arlnow.com/2017/11/07/heavy-turnout-short-lines-reported-at-arlington-polling-stations/

ARLNow posted:

Heavy Turnout, Short Lines Reported At Arlington Polling Stations

(Updated at 2:10 p.m.) Arlington County could today see record voter turnout for a gubernatorial election year.

As of noon, Arlington election officials were reporting approximately 31 percent turnout at the polls. Another 8 percent of registered voters had cast absentee ballots, bumping up the total, midway through election day, to nearly 40 percent.

That compares to a final turnout of 49 percent in 2013, when Democrat Terry McAuliffe defeated Republican Ken Cuccinelli. In 2005, the race between Tim Kaine and Jerry Kilgore resulted in 50.5 percent turnout in Arlington.

Despite a slowdown in the pace of voting with the arrival of steady rain in the area, Arlington County Registrar Linda Lindberg expects turnout will easily exceed that of 2013 today.

“We certainly expect that to be quite a bit higher, probably well over 50 percent,” she told ARLnow.com, crediting “increased interest in this year’s race and a boost in get-out-the-vote efforts among parties.”

That follows record turnout in Arlington during June’s Democratic gubernatorial primary. Virginia Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam won the primary and today is facing off against Republican candidate Ed Gillespie in the race for governor.

Former Arlington County Treasurer and avid local election prognosticator Frank O’Leary last week predicted record turnout in Arlington for a non-presidential election, based on absentee voting. He said heavy turnout in Arlington could provide a big boost to Northam — even bigger than the boost Arlington gave to McAuliffe four year ago.

In that year, McAuliffe won Arlington by more than 33,000 votes. This year Northam should enjoy a local victory margin of 45,000 or more. Moreover, realize that in 2013 McAuliffe won by less than 57,000 statewide and the significance of Arlington in determining outcome in Virginia becomes apparent. But Arlington is not alone, and — as goes Arlington — so goes Alexandria and Falls Church and (to a lesser extent) Fairfax and Prince William.

True to that prediction, Alexandria so far is reporting higher-than-2013 turnout.

https://twitter.com/AlexandriaVAGov/status/927965414621138944

Lindberg said there have been no major problems reported at Arlington’s polling stations. Lines were typically no longer than 10 minutes this morning, despite the increase in turnout.

The biggest issue so far has been confusion over the Democratic sample ballot handed out by party volunteers outside of polling stations, said Lindberg. The sample ballot recommended a slightly different way of filling in the bubble on ballots than that recommended by election officials, prompting a post by a confused resident to a Nextdoor social network page, which in turn resulted in election officials getting inquiries from some concerned voters.

Either method of filling out the ballot is valid, Lindberg said.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Please repost that in the Trump thread to shut some idiots up.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Done.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You can’t shut idiots up! You’ll regret this!

Woth NOVA turnout coming in high, key things we won’t know are if Gillespie over performed(unlikely) or what his margins look like in the rest of the state. If they’re low or normal this will be called much earlier, if they’re high we’ll be up later. In any case thanks to everyone who worked to boost turnout by calling and knocking on doors. Great job, beers are on Fancy.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, so if these states go blue then that means maybe the dems are starting to turn things around, and the GOP is disappointing its people enough that they don't want to vote so much these days, and if this pattern holds then there's hope for 2020? And it's looking like something will possibly go okay???

Jesus, I forgot how uncomfortable the feeling of hope is. We're talking a GOP with a slimmer majority of congress reps, signs of a motivated electorate, and a cool 18~ million people living better in the slightly expanding blue zones. Is there a "lol something matters" gif?

I didn't even know there was a state that let ex-cons vote. I wish we could make that happen in Cali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Frank Lobiondo (23 year house GOPer from Atlantic City area of NJ) is retiring. That seat is going to be very much in play in 18.

• Locked thread