Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Guess we'll be getting a lot of "good guy with a gun saved the day" and "See? Gun control measures don't work" today in relation to the Texas shootings.

Funny how yesterday it was drumming about how this was obviously an immigrant refugee who hates America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Funny how yesterday it was drumming about how this was obviously an immigrant refugee who hates America.

But it wasn’t. He killed everyone, left, and then either killed himself or had a stand off that he would have had with the police maybe two minutes later? He did exactly what he set out to do. I might add, the civilian shooter had a rifle, not a hand gun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PJOmega posted:

That's still happening according to the Trump thread. Apparently the first google hit on the guy is an infowars link calling the guy Antifa and listing his linkedin profile interests as "environment" and "social justice" as proof.

Also, Rush is is out in front of the "bots' phenomenon and calling it a left wing tactic. They're really good at this poo poo. "Fake News' started out as as revealing that RWM outlets were being fooled in part by bots but they've co-opted the term now to include, essentially, "news that runs counter my bullshit".

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's still happening according to the Trump thread. Apparently the first google hit on the guy is an infowars link calling the guy Antifa and listing his linkedin profile interests as "environment" and "social justice" as proof.

Also, Rush is is out in front of the "bots' phenomenon and calling it a left wing tactic. They're really good at this poo poo. "Fake News' started out as as revealing that RWM outlets were being fooled in part by bots but they've co-opted the term now to include, essentially, "news that runs counter my bullshit".

It's weird that the guy who's audience are literally called "dittoheads" would accuse others of being bots that mindless agree with everything he says.

something something projection.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Since Drudge is probably the single most influential person in RWM, whatever headlines he writes for his links will be the RWM narrative for the day, so here's what he has right now:

Crazy atheist who murdered a bunch of poor Christians, thank the Lord that there was a Good Guy With A Gun

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kenzie posted:

Since Drudge is probably the single most influential person in RWM, whatever headlines he writes for his links will be the RWM narrative for the day, so here's what he has right now:

Crazy atheist who murdered a bunch of poor Christians, thank the Lord that there was a Good Guy With A Gun

Not the dreaded white skull face mask! :ohdear:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kenzie posted:

Sharpshooting plumber.

Jfc

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Just be glad that guy merely had access to an AR15 instead of bombs, which is definitely what he would've done if he couldn't easily get access to an AR15.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PJOmega posted:

Sharpshooting plumber.

Jfc

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Area man surprised that supporting right-wing shitheads means you in turn get the support of right-wing shitheads:

quote:

Being associated with Nazis is not good for business, as anyone but racist piles of barf will tell you. As such, Papa John’s quickly released a statement disavowing these followers and urging them not to buy their pizza.

“We condemn racism in all forms and any and all hate groups that support it. We do not want these individuals or groups to buy our pizza,” the company wrote.

Competitor Pizza Hut also dismissed Schnatter’s claims that the NFL protests were hurting sales, noting they were “not seeing impact on any of that on our business.”

https://www.mediaite.com/food/papa-johns-pleads-for-nazis-to-not-buy-their-pizza-after-getting-embraced-by-daily-stormer/amp/

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have the article about the right wing gun rights group that organized drills to show how effective a good guy with a gun was at stopping bad guys with guns? The one that ended with the only survival scenario being running the gently caress away, even when the shooters were giving warning signals to people armed and ready?

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012
This is probably what you're thinking of:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/15/texas-gun-group-charlie-hebdo-paintball

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The trouble is of course, they can't simulate the total surprise and of course the massive adrenaline shock that the real event would bring.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Got it in one, thank you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

The trouble is of course, they can't simulate the total surprise and of course the massive adrenaline shock that the real event would bring.

Which is fine. They showed that even in a controlled environment the answer isn't return fire it is loving run.

Even video game logic is clear on that. If you're taking fire and unaware of the enemies location you move your rear end. Trying to engage someone who has the drop on you is a Bad Idea.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So in "RWM Projection News", Hannity was in full force today and half out of his loving mind for the 5 to 10 minutes I could take listening to it. The "Russian Collusion Scandal is all unraveling so fast" and, surprise, it all centers around Hillary and "if there is equal justice under the law, she'll go to jail".

It was real rapid fire. Emails, GPS Fusion, Dossier, server wipes, collusion, the Texas shooting, "leadership" at the FBI, cops who risk their lives every day...

He even said, no kidding, Hillary "rigged the election", presumably meaning the DNC primary but I don't think the wording was a mistake. Dude rattled off so many so lies so fast I couldn't even keep up with them, which I think it is the new preferred tactic in the Trump era on top of the time tested tactic of "accuse your enemies of what you are doing".

It's a beautiful strawman, because if Hillary is not locked up, it's proof of bias and fuels the persecution complex. If any Trump administration members go down for the Russian poo poo, same thing. Hannity, during a commercial, said he "has trouble sleeping" which actually answered a question I had in my head while listening to him. Christ.

This poo poo really really permeates and it's practically unfightable at this point. I'm not going full on Prester Jane just yet but these people are quite literally brainwashed and it's terrifying. I overheard some conversations about the Trump gently caress up with the war widow and the rationalizations, all the while wondering how that conversation might have been different were it Obama or Hillary.

I saw a stupid thing on my Facebook feed about liberals disrupting and blocking traffic during protests that asked when conservatives ever did that. Only thing I could think to post (beyond "loving seriously?") was to ask if Heather Heyer was blocking traffic. I also thought to myself about people like MLK, JFK, Bobbie Kennedy, Malcolm X, Huey Newton and Harvey Milk who as far as I know never blocked much traffic but wound up shot in the loving head. So yeah, we might block some traffic on occasion but we usually don't assassinate people.

Ugh. I'm tired of it. It's like being an NHL goalie with no defenders and every member of the opposing team each has a puck made out of frozen bullshit that they just fire constantly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Area man surprised that supporting right-wing shitheads means you in turn get the support of right-wing shitheads:

https://www.mediaite.com/food/papa-johns-pleads-for-nazis-to-not-buy-their-pizza-after-getting-embraced-by-daily-stormer/amp/

Ask JonTron or PewDiePie how hard it is to scrub your reputation clean of being "That Guy All The Nazis Really Like". Spoiler: It's kinda impossible!

Like Oxxidation said in the Trump Thread earlier: Papa John's is now the official Nazi Pizza of America whether it wants to be or not.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

nine-gear crow posted:

Ask JonTron or PewDiePie how hard it is to scrub your reputation clean of being "That Guy All The Nazis Really Like". Spoiler: It's kinda impossible!

Like Oxxidation said in the Trump Thread earlier: Papa John's is now the official Nazi Pizza of America whether it wants to be or not.

Play footsie with the racists and you'll get hosed by the nazis.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This belongs here. where better to get mass murdered than a church?

https://www.avclub.com/fox-news-host-thinks-getting-shot-at-church-is-a-pretty-1820196900

quote:

I was downstairs talking with some people that work here that we all talk about our faith and we share the same beliefs. We were saying there’s no other place we would want to go other than church. Because I’m there asking for forgiveness. I feel very close to Christ when I’m there. So, I’m trying to look at some positives here and know that those people are with the Lord now and experiencing eternity and no more suffering, no more sadness anymore.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Verbatim copies of Jon Stewart's Roof/Charleston comments, and that Onion headline about unpreventability, alternating, should be all that dude's allowed to say on air for a week.

I do wish people would start using my idea of confessing to using illegally-modified dreamcatchers to divert all the thoughts, prayers, and blessings (which would otherwise have prevented this tragedy).

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

BiggerBoat posted:

So in "RWM Projection News", Hannity was in full force today and half out of his loving mind for the 5 to 10 minutes I could take listening to it. The "Russian Collusion Scandal is all unraveling so fast" and, surprise, it all centers around Hillary and "if there is equal justice under the law, she'll go to jail".

It was real rapid fire. Emails, GPS Fusion, Dossier, server wipes, collusion, the Texas shooting, "leadership" at the FBI, cops who risk their lives every day...

He even said, no kidding, Hillary "rigged the election", presumably meaning the DNC primary but I don't think the wording was a mistake. Dude rattled off so many so lies so fast I couldn't even keep up with them, which I think it is the new preferred tactic in the Trump era on top of the time tested tactic of "accuse your enemies of what you are doing".

It's a beautiful strawman, because if Hillary is not locked up, it's proof of bias and fuels the persecution complex. If any Trump administration members go down for the Russian poo poo, same thing. Hannity, during a commercial, said he "has trouble sleeping" which actually answered a question I had in my head while listening to him. Christ.

This poo poo really really permeates and it's practically unfightable at this point. I'm not going full on Prester Jane just yet but these people are quite literally brainwashed and it's terrifying. I overheard some conversations about the Trump gently caress up with the war widow and the rationalizations, all the while wondering how that conversation might have been different were it Obama or Hillary.

I saw a stupid thing on my Facebook feed about liberals disrupting and blocking traffic during protests that asked when conservatives ever did that. Only thing I could think to post (beyond "loving seriously?") was to ask if Heather Heyer was blocking traffic. I also thought to myself about people like MLK, JFK, Bobbie Kennedy, Malcolm X, Huey Newton and Harvey Milk who as far as I know never blocked much traffic but wound up shot in the loving head. So yeah, we might block some traffic on occasion but we usually don't assassinate people.

Ugh. I'm tired of it. It's like being an NHL goalie with no defenders and every member of the opposing team each has a puck made out of frozen bullshit that they just fire constantly.

The rapid fire is Hannity’s fallback defense mechanism and he’s been using it for years. He basically just names every fake scandal he can remember until he runs out of breath. The thing is it makes much less sense now because nobody on the left has any power

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Good Citizen posted:

The rapid fire is Hannity’s fallback defense mechanism and he’s been using it for years. He basically just names every fake scandal he can remember until he runs out of breath. The thing is it makes much less sense now because nobody on the left has any power

That's exactly what the perfidious liberal WANTS you to think.

DEEP STATE DEEP STATE DEEP STATE

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BiggerBoat posted:

Then you get blamed for letting in too many soft goals (liberal bias).

Terrible metaphor but I was reaching for it.

Also lol I tuned in for Hannity for about 5 minutes yesterday before I turned it off due to rage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I heard his rapid fire on my drive home and it was pretty amazing. Just a bunch of already debunked Hillary nonsense, 20% of our plutonium, poor Bernie Sanders, etc.

It works because nobody is there to contest it, but it's super frustrating to hear when you know better.

Its also hilarious to imagine him giving President Sanders any different treatment had the elections gone better

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

moths posted:

I heard his rapid fire on my drive home and it was pretty amazing. Just a bunch of already debunked Hillary nonsense, 20% of our plutonium, poor Bernie Sanders, etc.

It works because nobody is there to contest it, but it's super frustrating to hear when you know better.

Its also hilarious to imagine him giving President Sanders any different treatment had the elections gone better

If Bernie had won the Democratic nomination, the narrative would have shifted to Bernie is a hypocrite, and right wing pundits would suddenly be experts in bank fraud.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Somebody should take some of these RWM radio shows and give them the rifftrax treatment.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BiggerBoat posted:

Somebody should take some of these RWM radio shows and give them the rifftrax treatment.

Personally my favorite is the Sega CD style Alex Jones parodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrEPgrU_8zA

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Sharpshooting plumber.

Jfc

Didn't that guy teach Sunday School?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This Koi fish Twitter thing to me represents the dichotomy between RWM and traditional media. When it turned out that the thing was bullshit, most left leaning folks - including myself and most goons I read in the Trump thread - were like "knock that stupid bullshit off". The right just screams "fake news" at everything until they finally get one right.

The right grabs poo poo like Pizzagate, lapel pins, pledging allegiance with the wrong hand, long form birth certificates, ACORN, PP, Sandy Hook crisis actors, etc. and just FW:FW:FW:FW them. I think, in general, the left is more discerning and discriminate in what's fake and what's real.

The only things I can really think of that the left runs with that are in any way comparable are 9/11 truthers, anti-vax folks and poo poo like Monticello but our weirdness seems more fringe and tends to get called out more.

I guess you could throw in the "rigged election" types but I haven't rules that out as completely crazy yet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nine-gear crow posted:

Ok but like, JonTron and Pewdiepie are also Nazis themselves or so close to Nazis as to be indistinguishable. The reason they can't lose the reputation of being liked by Nazis is because they already say and do all kinds of racist/anti-semitic/etc poo poo all the time.

If all of a sudden nazis started getting really into Sesame Street, we probably wouldn't go "well Sesame Street must be Nazi now", because Sesame Street is a show where you know they're not peddling that bullshit. It would just be another thing like how the nazi idiots recently got into drinking a lot of milk, nobody's thinking cows are evil over it.

Papa John's situation though is probably leaning more to the JonTron/Pewdiepie side of things because the ownership of Papa John's is known for being pretty conservative and even Trump-supporting, so they're always going to get way less benefit of the doubt. Still, I don't think people are going to remember "Papa John's is for Nazis" in a few years, even a few months. And people probably aren't going to stop getting pizza from there who already were getting pizza from there.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

This Koi fish Twitter thing to me represents the dichotomy between RWM and traditional media. When it turned out that the thing was bullshit, most left leaning folks - including myself and most goons I read in the Trump thread - were like "knock that stupid bullshit off". The right just screams "fake news" at everything until they finally get one right.

The right grabs poo poo like Pizzagate, lapel pins, pledging allegiance with the wrong hand, long form birth certificates, ACORN, PP, Sandy Hook crisis actors, etc. and just FW:FW:FW:FW them. I think, in general, the left is more discerning and discriminate in what's fake and what's real.

The only things I can really think of that the left runs with that are in any way comparable are 9/11 truthers, anti-vax folks and poo poo like Monticello but our weirdness seems more fringe and tends to get called out more.

I guess you could throw in the "rigged election" types but I haven't rules that out as completely crazy yet.

I remember one of the creators of those Macedonian clickbait fake news sites during the election said they had tried making fake news targeting liberals and Bernie types and whatnot, but it didn't work and they couldn't make any money off it because they would see right through it. Trumpers would eat that poo poo right up though, obviously.

And now that we have the US as the only country in the entire world not in the Paris agreement, with Syria finally deciding to join, I can see why Chomsky declared the GOP as the most dangerous organization in human history. I can't think of any other organization that so willfully denies reality outside of fringe cults.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

loving knew it. I subject myself to maybe 5-10 minutes of Hannity just to see if I'm right about what he'll be on about. I usually am.

So, of course, the Koi fish "scandal" got mentioned, confirming CNN forever in time as "fake news". As if FOX News has never run a manipulated Photoshop portrait or "accidentally" put a "D" next to a politician's name who was embroiled in scandal. Yeah, Sean, I never had to hear anything about birth certificates or pledging with the wrong hand or countless gifs of Obama bowing to Saudi royals

Jesus Christ these people are shameless and I'm super pissed at the rear end in a top hat that posted that dumb Koi video because that's all it takes for these idiots to craft a "both sides" argument and fuel the fake news/out to get Trump argument.

The difference is, every liberal I know didn't spam my FB and e-mail with this bullshit and actually felt embarrassed by it once they'd been had. Apparently, we have the capacity for shame, discernment, context an clarification and dislike when people lie to us.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm just curious what the one thing all mass shooters have in common is according to Rush. He was asking people to call in with their guesses all day and I got home before I could hear the answer. It can't be "They're all liberals/Democrats" because that would have been the first thing the callers would have guessed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm just curious what the one thing all mass shooters have in common is according to Rush. He was asking people to call in with their guesses all day and I got home before I could hear the answer. It can't be "They're all liberals/Democrats" because that would have been the first thing the callers would have guessed.

the real answer is that they're all men but rush was going to say they're all democrats/atheists/mentally ill

rush was just denying this obvious answer to fill his time slot

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

The difference is, every liberal I know didn't spam my FB and e-mail with this bullshit and actually felt embarrassed by it once they'd been had. Apparently, we have the capacity for shame, discernment, context an clarification and dislike when people lie to us.

But they haven't changed their behavior. I saw tons of people in the Trump thread admit that they felt foolish for being duped, then reacting to the next Tweetstorm same as always.

Stop letting yourself get distracted with "How was Trump bad today?" We know he's bad, short of specific political actions being taken, stop obsessing over "He did an embarrassing thing! This makes him look bad!"

Everyone who hates him already doesn't need their mind changed and the people who love him sure as poo poo aren't having their minds changed by "liberal fake news"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Um...is this on purpose or am I reading too much into it?

FOX News front page article:

quote:

Dramatic image captures elephants aflame, fleeing jeering crowd of sickos

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/07/hell-is-here-for-burning-elephants-in-award-winning-photo.html

i honestly think it's intentional.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

boner confessor posted:

the real answer is that they're all men but rush was going to say they're all democrats/atheists/mentally ill

I know nobody answered that "they were all responsible gun owners yesterday," but I can dream.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

BiggerBoat posted:

Um...is this on purpose or am I reading too much into it?

FOX News front page article:

i honestly think it's intentional.

Is Kelly working for Fox News now?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

*I pull on my SICKOS shirt* time to discredit trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, I need tears for Virginia. D win the Governor AND the first trans Women elected to a state house.