Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffhazsPkbq4

lol the game looks bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why does the almost decade old Unleashed look amazingly better in comparison?:lol:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
All they really need to do is turn to track sonic and shake their fist a bit, too. They're going to die or be offscreen before they could do much more anyway, but not reacting at all makes them look, well, fake.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The game is fun but also bad and lovely.

So about average for modern sonic.

My OC Do Not Steel is a cute white bunny with techno goggles and stupid giant boots.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 1.01 patch didn't seem to do anything other than add the episode shadow option. It played exactly like the videos I saw.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh hey so the lightning whip gives you unlimited i-frames letting you beat bosses by standing completely still and mashing R2.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm continually amazed that Sega can get away with crapping these things out and people just keep buying them. Like.... unless they get Christian Whitehead to do another Mania or they finally do the super chill 'Chao's and Chao's only' game I've always wanted I doubt I'll ever pick up another Sonic game.

For the record, I liked Adventure 2 and generations, but ehh.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I've found a travesty in the Sonic franchise greater than Sonic Forces, or indeed any of the bad games, or all of them put together.

The comics had a robotic Robotnik for a while, and never used the chance to have him corrupt a quote of AM's.

“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE THAT HEDGEHOG SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HEDGEHOGS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. HATE. HATE.”

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ill probably get the game one day because I love character creators. Hopefully there will be a mod to unlock all the costume parts.

Dehry posted:

The 1.01 patch didn't seem to do anything other than add the episode shadow option. It played exactly like the videos I saw.
I read it added the ability to collect rings after you lost them like in the other games. Pre-patch only the hedgehog OC could do it. Oh, and Super Sonic I guess.

Keiya posted:

I've found a travesty in the Sonic franchise greater than Sonic Forces, or indeed any of the bad games, or all of them put together.

The comics had a robotic Robotnik for a while, and never used the chance to have him corrupt a quote of AM's.

“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE THAT HEDGEHOG SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HEDGEHOGS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. HATE. HATE.”

Robo Robotnik was basically just a recolored Robotnik though. The actual robot part only came into play when he switched bodies, at least before I stopped reading in middle school.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 7, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://clips.twitch.tv/ScrumptiousAstuteGrasshopperKappaRoss

This game looks awful but I see the character creator providing a lot of people with good laughs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally, a clean version of this song. I've been waiting for it since the first Shadow DLC trailer. Totally worth the wait too. :kiddo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf8rEb-owqY

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Merry Forces everyone; it hasn't unlocked yet, but I've got Stranger Things to catch up on until then, on this, the most blessed day of Not Being At Work.

See this is the kind of video that pushed me back towards just wanting to enjoy Forces. I didn't even know the Crabmeats and Motobugs did anything in the Modern Sonic stages, because you just blow right through them. Stopping in the middle of a boost section is like stopping in the middle of a racing game and noticing that the spectators are basically cardboard cutouts. Working against the game at every stage is the kind of sadly pointless nitpicking that made me realise I could just let myself have fun with it and leave it at that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

See this is the kind of video that pushed me back towards just wanting to enjoy Forces. I didn't even know the Crabmeats and Motobugs did anything in the Modern Sonic stages, because you just blow right through them. Stopping in the middle of a boost section is like stopping in the middle of a racing game and noticing that the spectators are basically cardboard cutouts. Working against the game at every stage is the kind of sadly pointless nitpicking that made me realise I could just let myself have fun with it and leave it at that.

Fwiw, many Moon medals in Unleashed required players to not boost around but to actually explore the different tracks and the nooks and crannies of the stages (see Windmill Isle 2 min into this speedrun, particularly the one around 2:30). Red Rings try to do the same thing but they usually were just part of a path so you didn't have to look as hard. When you poke your nose around like that, you notice a lot of subtler things in the game like the poses the Unleashed robots do.

The enemy thing just gets back to what we already talked about in the thread though, no one really cares about the enemies in the first zone sucking.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So after playing this for a little bit I can say while it's not on the level as something like Colors/Generations it's nowhere near as bad as '06 or Rise of Lyric either. Most levels can be blazed through in a couple minutes and Red Rings are back but none of them really seem to require a lot of searching to find. It's a bit too easy and the levels are kind of bland but I don't completely hate it either. I like that they finally decided to ditch the concept of a lives system at least and the game runs a lot smoother on the Switch then I was expecting.

The game is mediocre at worst, play it if you feel like it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Larryb posted:

So after playing this for a little bit I can say while it's not on the level as something like Colors/Generations it's nowhere near as bad as '06 or Rise of Lyric either. Most levels can be blazed through in a couple minutes and Red Rings are back but none of them really seem to require a lot of searching to find. It's a bit too easy and the levels are kind of bland but I don't completely hate it either. I like that they finally decided to ditch the concept of a lives system at least and the game runs a lot smoother on the Switch then I was expecting.

The game is mediocre at worst, play it if you feel like it.

This is basically the case. It's not that the game is bad, it's not broken, Sonic controls... fine, mapping the side step to the analog stick... look that poo poo didn't work in colours, okay? It's not working now. But it's also... really bland. It's the 'bad' kind of game in that it's nothing special, not so horribly awful you can laugh at it, and nothing good to make you go 'wow' it just... is.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
If you want to play pretty sanic Barbie dressup sim then this will be your poo poo because you get like 5-25 pieces of clothing per stage but if you're looking for a really good jumpmans game look elsewhere.

This game is gonna sell almost entirely on the back of people addiction to CaC.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah game looks awfully mediocre which i can deal with. Alas, i am not buying it in the immediate future. Hopefully a mad madman can backport some of the most interesting stages to generations

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Watching GameJ06 play it and

what the gently caress are YOU doing here, Silver?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

This is basically the case. It's not that the game is bad, it's not broken, Sonic controls... fine, mapping the side step to the analog stick... look that poo poo didn't work in colours, okay? It's not working now. But it's also... really bland. It's the 'bad' kind of game in that it's nothing special, not so horribly awful you can laugh at it, and nothing good to make you go 'wow' it just... is.

Yeah, the game seems to occupy this weird middle ground where I can't really bring myself to particularly like or hate it.

Though outside of gameplay I'd say the story is about as balanced as Unleashed was (that is, it's a bit more story-driven than previous titles but it never really takes itself too seriously either). Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice seems to be improving (though honestly all he really needs to do is be Saix from Kingdom Hearts) and thankfully Amy sounds like she does in Boom rather than that weird Minnie Mouse thing she had going on before.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 7, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

geri_khan posted:

Watching GameJ06 play it and

what the gently caress are YOU doing here, Silver?

A Japanese interviewer asked the same question. Let's see what the answer is!

quote:

Q: As we know – Silver comes from the future, what is his mission now?

Iizuka: You’re right. He does come from the future… (laughs)
Please try to play for yourself at this point, that’s all what can we say about it (laughs).
There's your answer(???)

There's actually a prequel comic that explains it, kind of, but 90% of people will probably never see it.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/921045142466736128
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/921045504607133696

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the game seems to occupy this weird middle ground where I can't really bring myself to particularly like or hate it.

Though outside of gameplay I'd say the story is about as balanced as Unleashed was (that is, it's a bit more story-driven than previous titles but it never really takes itself too seriously either). Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice seems to be improving and thankfully Amy sounds like she does in Boom rather than that weird Minnie Mouse thing she had going on before.

You know what it feels like? Like the scraps of an unfinished game. You only fight 3 of Eggman's main goons, Chaos... literally does nothing but get dunked on by Classic Sonic in a non-boss fight. Classic Sonic only has the one boss-fight too if I recall, and feels entirely tacked on to a game about Modern and the Avatar. And even that concept's not fully explored. Things 'happen' but... and this is so loving funny to say for a sonic game.

They happen so quickly that nothing has any meaning.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Keiya posted:

the only purpose of ROBO ROBOTNIK was to get around ken penders's editorial decision that the real robotnik had died and could never be brought back ever. he was functionally just robotnik.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

You know what it feels like? Like the scraps of an unfinished game. You only fight 3 of Eggman's main goons, Chaos... literally does nothing but get dunked on by Classic Sonic in a non-boss fight. Classic Sonic only has the one boss-fight too if I recall, and feels entirely tacked on to a game about Modern and the Avatar. And even that concept's not fully explored. Things 'happen' but... and this is so loving funny to say for a sonic game.

They happen so quickly that nothing has any meaning.

Hell, the Shadow DLC is only 3 levels long and has no boss fights at all (or much of an ending either, once you're done with the last stage it plays the cutscene where Sonic meets Infinite for the first time and then just boots you back to the world map).

Shadow himself is identical to Modern Sonic with no unique moves to speak of (only difference is that he flies instead of runs while boosting).

Infinite's origins are kind of pathetic too, he was apparently just some random mercenary Eggman hired. Shadow kicks his rear end in about 2 seconds, he gets pissy about it (which is hilarious, he literally starts throwing a tantrum and whining about how he's supposed to be the best) and somehow upgrades himself to what he's like in the main game, that's it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 7, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

the only purpose of ROBO ROBOTNIK was to get around ken penders's editorial decision that the real robotnik had died and could never be brought back ever. he was functionally just robotnik.

Nah, Penders created Robo Robotnik himself.
His purpose DID become that later, of course.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Larryb posted:

Hell, the Shadow DLC is only 3 levels long and has no boss fights at all (or much of an ending either, once you're done with the last stage it plays the cutscene where Sonic meets Infinite for the first time and then just boots you back to the world map).

Shadow himself is identical to Modern Sonic with no unique moves to speak of (only difference is that he flies instead of runs while boosting).

Infinite's origins are kind of pathetic too, he was apparently just some random mercenary Eggman hired. Shadow kicks his rear end in about 2 seconds, he gets pissy about it and somehow upgrades himself to what he's like in the main game, that's it.

I will say the Virtual Reality mission for Shadow does have some legitimately like... pretty entry level but still confusing and unnerving dialog.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No Forces on Steam yet, at least where I am. Any word? I've got stuff to do otherwise, but it's easier to plan your day if you aren't compelled to check every now and then, and it's almost 3pm here.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No Forces on Steam yet, at least where I am. Any word? I've got stuff to do otherwise, but it's easier to plan your day if you aren't compelled to check every now and then, and it's almost 3pm here.

UK? Mine is saying it's going to be available in about 2 hours.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Larryb posted:

Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice seems to be improving (though honestly all he really needs to do is be Saix from Kingdom Hearts)

Oh jeez, I should've put the voices together before. Now that I hear it, I can't unhear it. I think Saix is a little too emotionless to mimic for Shadow, but they're definitely similar.

Onmi posted:

Classic Sonic only has the one boss-fight too if I recall

By himself, only the one boss, but he also has a segment for the final boss too.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Downloading Sonic Forces RN. In the meantime, Hunnid-P just announced he's working on another Knuckles rap.

https://twitter.com/HunnidP/status/927338531969818624

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ventana posted:

Oh jeez, I should've put the voices together before. Now that I hear it, I can't unhear it. I think Saix is a little too emotionless to mimic for Shadow, but they're definitely similar.

By himself, only the one boss, but he also has a segment for the final boss too.

Probably because they're both voiced by the same actor. I don't know, put a bit more emotion into the performance and I think that would make a perfectly fine Shadow voice. The current one just seems like he's trying too hard to sound edgy (though they seem to have dialed back on that a bit for this game).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mikedawson posted:

Downloading Sonic Forces RN.

Same; I expect to see a cavalcade of OCs when I come back to post mine in a couple of hours.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

They make the girl characters wear a bodysuit thing. I didn't have any specific goals for a character but then I saw the Tails Doll eyes and ran with it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mikedawson posted:

Downloading Sonic Forces RN. In the meantime, Hunnid-P just announced he's working on another Knuckles rap.

https://twitter.com/HunnidP/status/927338531969818624

When can we get a Knuckles spin-off game with a Madworld soundtrack feat. Hunnid-P

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also in Sonic music news, the Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 soundtracks are getting vinyl releases.
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/06/sonic-adventure-vinyl-albums-sega-later-this-year/
I only have a crappy record player that a friend gave to me and haven't bought any of these video game vinyl records they've been doing lately, but I think I'll actually buy these ones if they're not horrendously expensive.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Don't suppose anyone else is having issues with performance at all on the Steam version? It doesn't seem to be taxing the CPU or GPU very much, and I even tried the lowest settings though it should be able to handle way more, no difference at all. Cutscenes seem to just barely be janking along and the levels themselves fare better but Sonic moves a bit slowly.

Oddly the frame rate is always fine, and the audio is horrendous in cutscenes but fine in the levels.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

for what it's worth we have the final two parts of the comic, which shows Infinite's face.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/927955925721161728
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/927956516702863360

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Someone on Sonic Retro found this in the files.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

for what it's worth we have the final two parts of the comic, which shows Infinite's face.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/927955925721161728
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/927956516702863360

is this before or after shadow kicks his rear end and makes him go crazy? Because he took hilariously little convincing to join up with Robotnik.

heck, I'm not even sure why Eggman extended the offer in the first place.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zelder posted:

is this before or after shadow kicks his rear end and makes him go crazy? Because he took hilariously little convincing to join up with Robotnik.

heck, I'm not even sure why Eggman extended the offer in the first place.

He's already working for Eggman in Episode Shadow, so this is before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Been playing for the last few hours. overall my impression is about the same: janky, but still pretty fun. The first infinite fight is pretty fun.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2017