Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah. You have to be in a war involving all of the electors + the emperor, and of those fighting against you you need to occupy their capitols. That's how it's done.

If you're determined to dismantle the HRE instead of using your emperor powers to get a bunch of free land, what you can do is make all of the electors hate you, thereby causing you to lose the title when your ruler dies. Then go to war again and dismantle the whole thing

It's late in the game and the HRE is a shadow of its former self, as I've eaten all of Brandenburg, the central opms, vassalized, fed and annexes Alsatia, and most of the dutch provinces. It's also heavily protestant and has only 2 reforms passed in 1789,

Thankfully, I had a backup save before the peace and managed to wind back time back to the war so I nabbed the achievement, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Rapner posted:

What is a good pair of countries I can use to teach a newer player? They have 20 hours or so, I'm around 800.

I'm thinking western European colonizers, or Poland + Brandenburg/teutons.

I just recently got a friend into EU4 and had good success doing a joint England/France game. I was England, my newbie friend was France. I like France as a learning tool, as both a continental European power and potential colonial power France can teach a diverse skill set.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sephyr posted:

Thankfully, I had a backup save before the peace and managed to wind back time back to the war so I nabbed the achievement, at least.

...But that's against the rules, isn't it?!

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

I just recently got a friend into EU4 and had good success doing a joint England/France game. I was England, my newbie friend was France. I like France as a learning tool, as both a continental European power and potential colonial power France can teach a diverse skill set.

I dunno, I'm not sure we're so close that we'd share a trade node.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Let him be Castile and you take Austria, makes a nice tag team to control everything. Castile + Pope or Austria + Pope are good combos too, you both have room to expand and the same enemies.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

Let him be Castile and you take Austria, makes a nice tag team to control everything. Castile + Pope or Austria + Pope are good combos too, you both have room to expand and the same enemies.

These are great options, thanks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, you have to be at war since you must occupy the emperor's capital, and you can't be the emperor. Which is silly because Napoleon didn't disband the empire, Francis II did, to preempt Napo from usurping the title.

Unfortunately if they let the emperor do this in EU4 it would probably always be the best move to do it day 1 as Austria and just go apeshit on the German minors.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

skasion posted:

Unfortunately if they let the emperor do this in EU4 it would probably always be the best move to do it day 1 as Austria and just go apeshit on the German minors.

Could gate it behind Ages, but only for the emperor?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

skasion posted:

well you'd presumably keep in the no-independent-electors requirement

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Here is today's Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-7th-of-november-2017.1053654/

20 new Achievements. You can promote Advisors to get them up to +5 to their MP boost now. Each promotion costs 5 years worth of their salary. You can only promote advisors that are of your accepted culture(s). Also added two new manufacturies and modified the goods that use which manufacturies.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
:allears:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

heck yeah more custom nation cheetos

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It sucks because I've already done this :(

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Here is today's Dev Diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-7th-of-november-2017.1053654/

20 new Achievements. You can promote Advisors to get them up to +5 to their MP boost now. Each promotion costs 5 years worth of their salary. You can only promote advisors that are of your accepted culture(s). Also added two new manufacturies and modified the goods that use which manufacturies.

Have they said if advisor promotion is expansion-only or if it's in the free patch? I'm guessing the former but you never know.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope Madurai has unique NIs now that they have an achievement, they are a cool underappreciated state (tiny remnant of a former empire, rediculous flag)

Eldred posted:

Have they said if advisor promotion is expansion-only or if it's in the free patch? I'm guessing the former but you never know.

Expansion only, the DLC always has to have some "just make your numbers bigger" power creep content to attract people who aren't interested in the DLC's regional focus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cool! Two new buildings that do the exact same thing as old buildings!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh you can reduce your provinces development to gain a lump sum bonus, surely that must be good

quote:

Exploit Production to gain 60 months' worth of that province's sailors

Lol

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
The new cheevos are amazing :allears:
Especially bunte kuh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

The new cheevos are amazing :allears:
Especially bunte kuh

Idgi, is this a Euros-only joke?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Oh you can reduce your provinces development to gain a lump sum bonus, surely that must be good

Lol

lmao are you loving kidding me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pdox can I get an option in the next DLC to sell my excess sailors into slavery for gold?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
"Protect the Secret - As Yemen, prevent any European Nation from owning a Coffee-producing province in the Old World until 1700."

...How are you supposed to pull this one off? Conquer the new world from Mexico on down and then all of the South Pacific? It sounds like the moment any Euro gets a coffee province you're locked out.

Similarly, the Around the World in 80 Days achievement sounds really hard.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao are you loving kidding me

I wish I was. Reducing base tax gives you 60 months of taxes, reducing base military gives you 60 months of manpower (this one could actually be useful, military MP are usually plentiful so you can re-raise it later without too much trouble and sometimes you just NEED that manpower)... reducing base diplo gives you 60 months of loving sailors :confused:

I frankly hope it's a typo or something not finalized yet, because it's truly lovely if it's final. Sailors are lovely overall, actually, and should go the way of the dodo.

Mr. Fowl posted:

"Protect the Secret - As Yemen, prevent any European Nation from owning a Coffee-producing province in the Old World until 1700."

...How are you supposed to pull this one off? Conquer the new world from Mexico on down and then all of the South Pacific? It sounds like the moment any Euro gets a coffee province you're locked out.

Erm, it refers to coffee provinces in the Old World only. You just have to keep them out from Arabia basically (not sure where all coffee-producing provinces are, but anyways it shouldn't be too much trouble if you're blobbing enough)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Unless I'm missing something, doesn't "old world" specifically mean you don't need to worry about the Americas?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I would happily turn 60 months of sailors into 1 base production.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Xinder posted:

Soylent Green is sailors!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can definitely see myself hammering the exploit manpower button.

Like that's ridiculously good. Even in a 2 manpower province you'll get 2500 manpower. And it gets more efficient as the base manpower increases, because you only lose 1 no matter how high it is.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oops, didn't notice the "Old World" stipulation. Still hard, but not as hard.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Will there be a way to exploit from the macro tab, or have they decided to make a bad design choice instead?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fister Roboto posted:

I can definitely see myself hammering the exploit manpower button.

Like that's ridiculously good. Even in a 2 manpower province you'll get 2500 manpower. And it gets more efficient as the base manpower increases, because you only lose 1 no matter how high it is.

Combined with Common Sense it will let you spend mil points to get manpower by raising dev then exploiting it. Might be a good trick to avoid hiring mercenaries and keep professionalism up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TorakFade posted:

I wish I was. Reducing base tax gives you 60 months of taxes, reducing base military gives you 60 months of manpower (this one could actually be useful, military MP are usually plentiful so you can re-raise it later without too much trouble and sometimes you just NEED that manpower)... reducing base diplo gives you 60 months of loving sailors :confused:

I frankly hope it's a typo or something not finalized yet, because it's truly lovely if it's final. Sailors are lovely overall, actually, and should go the way of the dodo.

Erm, it refers to coffee provinces in the Old World only. You just have to keep them out from Arabia basically (not sure where all coffee-producing provinces are, but anyways it shouldn't be too much trouble if you're blobbing enough)

Yeah, I guess it should be.... cash based off the local trade good? So reducing a province with grain would be worth way less then one with gold or gems or something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Madurai chat: confirmed that they still have generic ideas, I guess I will not be doing another playthrough with them just yet. Well, that's more time to try dumb poo poo in the newly reworked part of the map such as:

quote:

Saladins Legacy - Playing as Hisn Kayfa, reforge the Ayyubid Empire (conquer Egypt, Mashriq, Hejaz and Yemen)

Don't recognise the name? Check out the doomed yellow thing below:

Yeah that might not be the most common achievement for people to complete. The orange 3pm is a vassal of QQ so your only path for expansion is to go straight up vs. AQ or QQ, presumably while they're getting distracted; but I'm fairly sure you'll get declared on in the first few years virtually every game.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I guess it should be.... cash based off the local trade good? So reducing a province with grain would be worth way less then one with gold or gems or something.

Giving a bonus to trade power in that node would be cool and useful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Combined with Common Sense it will let you spend mil points to get manpower by raising dev then exploiting it. Might be a good trick to avoid hiring mercenaries and keep professionalism up.
You can bet there will be a cooldown and probably some unrest too.

Xinder posted:

Would you press that button if it gave 60 years of sailors nation-wide for 1 base production instead?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They already said you can only exploit each province once every 20 years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've long since forgotten that. :blush:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, so a land-locked nation can get a bunch of sailors by exploiting its production? How does that work? :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Exchange students? Or the people using boats along your rivers and lakes sign up to also be useful on the sea.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

So I'm currently doing a campaign as the Commonwealth and I'm trying to get the one king to rule achievement. I defeated the event rebels and switched to a despotic monarchy but google tells me I need to be an administrative monarchy to get it. How do I change to that particular government? I see the decisions to change to an oligarch or theocratic one, do I need a particular tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Wait, so a land-locked nation can get a bunch of sailors by exploiting its production? How does that work? :psyduck:

The button will probably be greyed out if you're landlocked, which would be extra hilarious.

There is a funny bug where if you're landlocked but border a lake, you can get the event that converts some of your manpower to sailors. I haven't seen it in a while though so it might have been fixed.

• Locked thread