Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you know what guns should be illegal? these guns right here (flexes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

north korea isnt a desert

Give it a couple months

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
In the UK and Australia they have much stricter gun control but you can still buy a hunting rifle which I think is important because hunting is actually a good economical source of food for people in some areas. I think banning semi-autos would make a lot more sense than restricting bullets and calibers so people couldn't even hunt for food anymore.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

as long as powerful weapons can still be owned/used by professional shooting ranges, because thats how chris kyle died, and I am extremely pro chris kyle death lmao

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ban everything except those old timey cowboy revolvers you have to reload one bullet at a time

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Crane Fist posted:

Ban everything except those old timey cowboy revolvers you have to reload one bullet at a time

Dammit, that was the Gun that Won the West! AKA the Sidearm of Genocide.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blue Train posted:

A better way to decrease gun deaths and still allow access to firearms is to limit what calibers are available without special licensing

you're aware that a whole lot of prominent mass shootings have actually been committed with .22's, right? including the one with the highest number of fatalities in US history prior to Las Vegas (though he used a 9mm too), and ones in foreign countries with much stricter laws that restricted people to target pistols only (for at least the first few years of gun ownership)

MaxxBot posted:

In the UK and Australia they have much stricter gun control but you can still buy a hunting rifle which I think is important because hunting is actually a good economical source of food for people in some areas. I think banning semi-autos would make a lot more sense than restricting bullets and calibers so people couldn't even hunt for food anymore.

the 2nd Amendment very clearly doesn't exist primarily to protect sport hunting, though it does that too

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Nov 7, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ban all guns except that one revolver where if you open the pip boy in the right part of the reload animation you slide across the map really fast

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mecha Gojira posted:

Dammit, that was the Gun that Won the West! AKA the Sidearm of Genocide.

It's an American classic! I declare, sweating heavily, as I drive into the reservation in a pickup full of crates labelled NO AK47s IN HERE

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what calibers do you suggest

I think there should be less limitations on firearms but if your aim is to reduce firearm deaths limit civilian handgun calibres to .32 and below, rifles to rimfire only. Licenses required for anything above

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LGD posted:

the 2nd Amendment very doesn't exist primarily to protect sport hunting, though it does that too

Who gives a poo poo though, the guys who wrote it are all dead and can't argue

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Require a hunting license in order to in order to obtain a hunting rifle. you already have to get one to hunt anyway. also some hunting rifles are semiautomatic and the ar15 that scares everyone is chambered in a common hunting calibre

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

good thing clarence thomas has a personal psychic link with their ghosts then so we can still ask him

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you dont need a semi auto for hunting

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LGD posted:

you're aware that a whole lot of prominent mass shootings have actually been committed with .22's, right?

Yes, and the body counts are usually lower

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Why not

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

What if I'm hunting the most dangerous game (the chupacabra)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Crane Fist posted:

a huge chunk of the population, both gun owners and those who give a gently caress about rule of law- a living constitutional approach is fine, but the words and intent of the guarantees need to actually mean something and there is basically no other area of constitutional jurisprudence where advocates of the living constitution/pragmatism/etc. would find their attempts to devalue the 2nd remotely acceptable

e:

Blue Train posted:

Yes, and the body counts are usually lower

except for the example I cited where it very much wasn't and all of the times AR's have been used and there were fewer casualties than say Jokela/Kauhajoki

I'm not saying rifles are not deadlier (they are), I'm just saying that lower caliber pistols are still quite deadly enough against groups of unarmed people, total casualties have a lot more to do with target selection/response time vs. gun used than people think, and your proposed solution isn't actually going to result in much harm reduction

LGD has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Nov 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LGD posted:

a huge chunk of the population, both gun owners and those who give a gently caress about rule of law- a living constitutional approach is fine, but the words and intent of the guarantees need to actually mean something and there is basically no other area of constitutional jurisprudence where advocates of the living constitution/pragmatism/etc. would find their attempts to devalue the 2nd remotely acceptable

the founding fathers broke the poo poo out of america lol

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Crane Fist posted:

What if I'm hunting the most dangerous game (the chupacabra)

Alls I know about guns I learned from Fallout New Vegas.

The Varmint Rifle is chambered in the same round as the M-16, and it's an underpowered piece of poo poo that keeps breaking goddammit *runs up and hits a coyote with a shovel instead*

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jose posted:

really makes u think how the founders are also the destructors

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mecha Gojira posted:

"Arms" is the term used in the Second Amendment. Which in the 18th century when the poo poo was written meant specifically armaments and weapons for war. So poo poo like body armor and battle flags as well as all manner weapons. After all, you don't "bear arms" against a rabbit.

But no one really gives a poo poo about the text of the 2A, which is why your right to a hunting rifle is still guaranteed but not your right to a fully automatic assault rifle, when if actually interpreted by the lens of constitutional originality, it's actually about how individual Americans should each be maintaining their own equipment in event of being called up for wartime service or some bullshit like it's still pre-industrial times when weapons and uniforms weren't cheaply mass produced and had to be self-supplied.

It also strikes me as LARPing ancient Greek Hoplites.

Jose posted:

I wonder who could be behind this post? :thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

please don't insinuate i support the royalty

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
The American view of the constitution as basically a religious text is insanely weird but very fascinating.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/mekosoff/status/927870966964850688

https://twitter.com/mekosoff/status/927871169591697408

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LGD posted:

except for the example I cited where it very much wasn't and all of the times AR's have been used and there were fewer casualties than say Jokela/Kauhajoki

I'm not saying rifles are not deadlier (they are), I'm just saying that lower caliber pistols are still quite deadly enough against groups of unarmed people, total casualties have a lot more to do with target selection/response time vs. gun used than people think, and your proposed solution isn't actually going to result in much harm reduction

when I say .22 I mean .22lr which would eliminate ar15s and .32 and below handgun calibre require proper poo poo placement to a greater extent than larger calibre (even 9mm which is .38 calibre and would therefore be subject to licensing)

For example, go here and compare the body counts where a .22 was used, they are around 3 victims with the exception of cho. compare that to 9mm which has an average of around 8

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hedenius posted:

The American view of the constitution as basically a religious text is insanely weird but very fascinating.

America was founded by a bunch of religious fundamentalist weirdos so not really weird

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dreddout posted:

It also strikes me as LARPing ancient Greek Hoplites.

The Founding Fathers had the biggest loving hardon for the classical period.

Edit: Not surprising, they were agrarian slave-owners who thought themselves "farmers."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

More Roman than Greek tho

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blue Train posted:

when I say .22 I mean .22lr which would eliminate ar15s and .32 and below handgun calibre require proper poo poo placement to a greater extent than larger calibre (even 9mm which is .38 calibre and would therefore be subject to licensing)

For example, go here and compare the body counts where a .22 was used, they are around 3 victims with the exception of cho. compare that to 9mm which has an average of around 8

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm

all of the instances I cited were .22lr, I'm not trying to playing semantic games with you

also there are like 2 instances where the perpetrator used a .22 only, you're discounting the instance with the .380 pistol that's right in line with most of the 9mm cases (e: oh you said .32 and below), and it's deeply unclear why you'd just completely discount cho or the separate instances I cited where .22 target pistols killed 9/10 people and wounded dozens more since we're arguing from a messy and essentially anecdotal data set

e2: you also aren't really clear on what "licensing" means, just that these guns which have demonstrably been used with effect in mass shootings are somehow no big deal while 9mm's are (explicitly in the context of a maniac with 10 minutes of uninterrupted access to a school full of children to gun down)- fundamentally guns are deadly, and you either trust a possessor or you don't

LGD has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Nov 7, 2017

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Hedenius posted:

I think it's kind of a protestant thing- the Bible is the ultimate authority. The Bible grants authority to church government, not the other way around. It makes sense that people would view the Constitution kind of the same way. It's not a bad idea, forcing fallible men to be accountable to sacred text. Only problem is the Constitution was still written by men.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Blue Train posted:

More Roman than Greek tho

That's true. They hated the concept of Greek Democracy, preferring the Roman Republic model with Patrician control to prevent mob rule.

There's a reason you had to be a landowner to vote or hold office, and why the Senate and Presidency weren't originally popularly elected at all.

Basically, gently caress the Founding Fathers.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LGD posted:

all of the instances I cited were .22lr, I'm not trying to playing semantic games with you

also there are like 2 instances where the perpetrator used a .22 only, you're discounting the instance with the .380 pistol that's right in line with most of the 9mm cases (e: oh you said .32 and below), and it's deeply unclear why you'd just completely discount cho or the separate instances I cited where .22 target pistols killed 9/10 people and wounded dozens more since we're arguing from a messy and essentially anecdotal data set

I discount them because they used other weapons as well

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

Basically, gently caress the Founding Fathers.
unfortunately some women weren't given a choice

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

a normal country would have rewritten its constitution but america is insanely loving dumb

Why? We like free speech here.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I mean there's a reason you see people recommend .380 as the smallest defense calibre you can look at ballistic gel tests and see the penetration of a .22 or .25 or .32 and the accompanying wound channel vs larger handgun calibres

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blue Train posted:

I discount them because they used other weapons as well

the two I cited by name exclusively used .22lr target pistols with 10 round capacities

e:

Blue Train posted:

I mean there's a reason you see people recommend .380 as the smallest defense calibre you can look at ballistic gel tests and see the penetration of a .22 or .25 or .32 and the accompanying wound channel vs larger handgun calibres

yeah no kidding, those are the smallest calibers that will reliably kill/stop someone in one shot, and I'm not disputing they're deadlier, but that's a much bigger deal in a self-defense scenario than when you're indiscriminately gunning defenseless people down, and even if they're unreliable we've got multiple mass shootings and decades of crime statistics that demonstrate .22, .25 and .32 can still kill plenty of people

so you're proposing a system that still grants indiscriminate access to demonstrably deadly weapons (that you've decided are not so deadly based on a not-carefully-examined sample size of like 2-3 cases and ignoring the "outliers" that directly contradict this) , but then imposes (unspecified) restrictions that interfere with legitimate use cases

I don't think you've thought this all the way through

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Nov 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why? We like free speech here.

Lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LGD posted:

the two I cited by name exclusively used .22lr target pistols with 10 round capacities

Oh I skimmed over that part, yes I am not arguing that they are not lethal but in those instances banning semiautomatics wouldn't have changed anything as .22 revolvers hold ten rounds as well and can be loaded with speedloaders. My point is you have a better chance of surviving when trying shot by a smaller round due to the greater need for poo poo placement not that they are less capable of killing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Veshpo posted:

I think it's kind of a protestant thing- the Bible is the ultimate authority. The Bible grants authority to church government, not the other way around. It makes sense that people would view the Constitution kind of the same way. It's not a bad idea, forcing fallible men to be accountable to sacred text. Only problem is the Constitution was still written by men.

there's a thing going around the right where you take general principles like "we need a rule of law" and "market economies make products efficiently" and turn it into a cultish article of faith

remember that article, i think it was in the federalist, where the author said she got private student loans bc she assumed they were cheaper but of course they werent? even a libertarian view of the economy admits that govt subsidized stuff is cheaper for the purchaser, just argues that the cost is hidden and diffused. but no, markets uber alles so now im drowning in debt